Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 12-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
BTT
Unspeakable

Week 8: Goblet of Fire, Ch. 1 - 10

<< Week 7 | Book Rereads | Week 9 >>

Onto the fourth book.

---------- Post automerged at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 1
The police were summoned, and the whole of Little Hangleton had seethed with shocked curiosity and ill disguised excitement. Nobody wasted their breath pretending to feel very sad about the Riddles, for they had been most unpopular. Elderly Mr. and Mrs. Riddle had been rich, snobbish, and rude, and their grown up son, Tom, had been, if anything, worse. All the villagers cared about was the identity of their murderer—for plainly, three apparently healthy people did not all drop dead of natural causes on the same night.
I guess this bit might be relevant to the "Tom Riddle Sr: Dick or Not" thread.
Also this whole murder mystery-like bit is pretty neat. JKR wrote a whole novel like it so she must've felt the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 3
The wealthy man who owned the Riddle House these days neither lived there nor put it to any use; they said in the village that he kept it for “tax reasons,” though nobody was very clear what these might be. The wealthy owner continued to pay Frank to do the gardening, however.
I wonder who this wealthy man is. Lucius? Dumbledore? Some fund Voldemort set up before his "death"?

Hmm. On one hand, Rowling describes old Frank as being very deaf, but on the other hand he seems to hear just fine.

I forgot Wormtail tried to shoot down Voldemort's plan, or at least that they'd use Harry for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 8
you will have your reward, Wormtail. I will allow you to perform an essential task for me, one that many of my followers would give their right hands to perform…”
Subtle, Voldemort is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 11
… Harry went restlessly back to the bed and sat down on it, running a finger over his scar again. It wasn’t the pain that bothered him; Harry was no stranger to pain and injury. He had lost all the bones from his right arm once and had them painfully regrown in a night. The same arm had been pierced by a venomous foot-long fang not long afterward. Only last year Harry had fallen fifty feet from an airborn broomstick. He was used to bizarre accidents and injuries;
You know, if you need a reminder of how hardcore Canon Harry is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 16
The school nurse had seen what Aunt Petunia’s eyes—so sharp when it came to spotting fingerprints on her gleaming walls, and in observing the comings and goings of the neighbors—simply refused to see: that far from needing extra nourishment, Dudley had reached roughly the size and weight of a young killer whale.
Ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 19
Harry frowned. He thought it was a bit rich of Uncle Vernon to call anyone “dumpy,” when his own son, Dudley, had finally achieved what he’d been threatening to do since the age of three, and become wider than he was tall.
Good Lord, Harry! Calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 31
Harry didn’t want to miss the fun, but Uncle Vernon’s second ornament narrowly missed his left ear, and on balance he thought it best to leave the situation to Mr. Weasley. He stepped into the fire, looking over his shoulder as he said “the Burrow!” His last fleeting glimpse of the living room was of Mr. Weasley blasting a third ornament out of Uncle Vernon’s hand with his wand, Aunt Petunia screaming and lying on top of Dudley, and Dudley’s tongue lolling around like a great slimy python.
I have to say, GoF is definitely the funniest book so far, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 42
“Percy only passed two weeks ago,” said George. “He’s been Apparating downstairs every morning since, just to prove he can.”
Or so they say, but I recall them doing the exact same the year after this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 46
“No, the Lovegoods have been there for a week already and the Fawcetts couldn’t get tickets,”
More characters being mentioned books before they show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 55
little Agatha Timms has put up half shares in her eel farm on a weeklong match.
An eel farm? Do eels figure in some potions? Do wizards have other uses for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 63
A pale boy with a pointed face and white-blond hair, Draco greatly resembled his father. His mother was blonde too; tall and slim, she would have been nice-looking if she hadn’t been wearing a look that suggested there was a nasty smell under her nose.
Canon MILF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 65
but then the music started, and Harry stopped worrying about them not being human - in fact, he stopped worrying about anything at all.
So much for immunity to that aura, eh?
Interestingly, it seems Mr. Weasley is actually immune, since there's no mention at all of him being under the influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 72
“Vell, ve fought bravely,” said a gloomy voice behind Harry. He looked around; it was the Bulgarian Minister of Magic.
“You can speak English!” said Fudge, sounding outraged. “And you’ve been letting me mime everything all day!”
“Veil, it vos very funny,” said the Bulgarian minister, shrugging.
What a guy, that Bulgarian Minister.

Last edited by Palindrome; 12-19-2016 at 11:31 AM.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Rhaegar I
Unspeakable

Does anyone else wonder if she already had a plan for these characters she introduced before they properly appeared, just comes up with random character names and only later decides to use them for something, or both? She mentions characters before they show up in the Books so often, I honestly can't tell which one it is.

Also, let's be honest: if you very recently gained the ability to teleport, and there was nothing stopping you from teleporting instead of walking down the stairs, you'd probably do it too.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
BTT
Unspeakable

Whoops, was looking at the old schedule. Two extra chapters, so extra commentary is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 74
then came a burst of strong green light, which illuminated the scene.
I imagine the colour of the light was deliberately chosen by these pseudo-Death Eaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 75
Bill, Charlie, and Percy were already sprinting away toward the oncoming marchers; Mr. Weasley tore after them.
Bit of a shame we never saw how this went. Just imagine Percy and Arthur fucking shit up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 76
“D’you want to be showing off your knickers in midair? Because if you do, hang around… they’re moving this way, and it would give us all a laugh.”
This reminds me that Snape was hung upside down that exact same way, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 76
A huddle of teenagers in pajamas was arguing vociferously a little way along the path.
When they saw Harry, Ron, and Hermione, a girl with thick curly hair turned and said quickly, “Oü est Madame Maxime? Nous l’avons perdue -
First, Beauxbatons being introduced before they show up for the tournament. I like how JKR makes a point of including these details beforehand.
Second, I wonder who this girl with curly hair is. Definitely not Fleur (though that'd be a neat idea for a H/F fic, I suppose).
Third, how in the hell do you lose a half-giant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 86
“And I trust you remember the many proofs I have given, over a long career, that I despise and detest the Dark Arts and those who practice them?”
Wow, Crouch. Ice cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 90
If they really were Death Eaters, they worked very hard to keep out of Azkaban when You-Know-Who lost power, and told all sorts of lies about him forcing them to kill and torture people. I bet they’d be even more frightened than the rest of us to see him come back. They denied they’d ever been involved with him when he lost his powers, and went back to their daily lives… I don’t reckon he’d be over-pleased with them, do you?
Man, Bill hit it right on the nose here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 92
“Last week she was saying we’re wasting our time quibbling about cauldron thickness, when we should be stamping out vampires! As if it wasn’t specifically stated in paragraph twelve of the Guidelines for the Treatment of Non-Wizard Part-Humans —”
One does have to wonder what that paragraph says.
Also: vampires, officially not wizards. Does this mean they can't do magic?

It seems the titles Charm Breakers and Curse Breakers are interchangeable.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 12-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
Atram Noctem
Professor

Quote:
"I can always tell, Wormtail! You are regretting that you ever returned to me. I revolt you. I see you flinch when you look at me, feel you shudder when you touch me…"
):
Quote:
"You would not be here if you had anywhere else to go."
I never really understood why Wormtail sought Voldemort out. Surely he could have found somewhere in the world to hide? returning to Voldemort's service only puts him at more risk.
Quote:
"My Lord, Bertha Jorkin's disappearance will not go unnoticed for long, and if we proceed, if I murder -"
"If?" whispered the second voice. "If? If you follow the plan, Wormtail, the Ministry need never know that anyone else has died. You will do it quietly and without fuss; I only wish that I could do it myself, but in my present condition…Come, Wormtail, one more death and our path to Harry Potter is clear. I am not asking you to do it alone. By that time, my faithful servant will have rejoined us -"
So, who were they planning to murder? sounds like it's part of the entire scheme, and not an attempt to create another Horcrux.
Quote:
The dim picture of a darkened room came to him…There had been a snake on a hearth rug…a small man called Peter, nicknamed Wormtail…and a cold, high voice…the voice of Lord Voldemort. Harry felt as though an ice cube had slipped down into his stomach at the very thought…
Since Harry had seen Nagini there, it means that he wasn't peering through her like later in OotP, and he had also seen Voldemort - so what, he just has clairvoyant powers? it doesn't quite work with the Horcrux connection theory, and there is another similar "dream" later in the book that doesn't involve seeing from Nagini or LV's POV.
Quote:
Voldemort - the most powerful Dark wizard for a century
Makes you wonder who was the 19th century equivalent. Dumbledore later upgrades that status to the most dangerous wizard of all time.
Quote:
"He should," said Mr. Weasley, smiling, and leading them through the gates into the campsite, "but Ludo's always been a bit… well… lax about security.
Good foreshadowing to Ludo leaking info to the Death Eaters.

Interesting that the colors the Irish players wear are green and silver, while the Bulgarians wear red and gold. Who does that remind me of...
Also, isn't it pretty stupid to wear cloaks while flying at high speed? wouldn't it slow them?

Quote:
"What's going on in there?"
"Who conjured it?"
"Arthur - it's not - Him?"
Quote:
"I shouted at you before you left!" Mrs. Weasley said, starting to sob. "It's all I've been thinking about! What if You-Know-Who had got you, and the last thing I ever said to you was that you didn't get enough OW.L.s? Oh Fred…George…"
People seem to very easily jump to the conclusion that Voldemort is back just because the Dark Mark was conjured - at least, considering how they act a year later...

I've forgotten how great Rowling's prose was in the 4-5 first books. Every line feels important, the descriptions are simple yet evocative, and she can create eeriness without the usual cheesiness. Shame that she lost her talent.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaegar I View Post
Does anyone else wonder if she already had a plan for these characters she introduced before they properly appeared, just comes up with random character names and only later decides to use them for something, or both? She mentions characters before they show up in the Books so often, I honestly can't tell which one it is.

Also, let's be honest: if you very recently gained the ability to teleport, and there was nothing stopping you from teleporting instead of walking down the stairs, you'd probably do it too.
I suspect that it probably started out as just throwing out character names as world-building details before slowly becoming foreshadowing; I seem to recall her getting a little embarrassed when she mentioned some random, never to be seen again kid from around Privet Drive who was called Evans, and half the fandom immediately assumed he was related to Lily, when it was actually nothing at all.

Chapter 1: The Riddle House

I don't think that I knew enough about writing to properly appreciate this chapter the last time I read it. It's a real change of pace from the first three opening chapters; there's a palpable sense of tension and slow-burning horror that's a real step up, IMO. Great stuff.

Quote:
Elderly Mr and Mrs Riddle had been rich, snobbish and rude, and their grown-up son, Tom, had been even more so.
Like @BTT said, we've had a thread on this recently, but I think it mostly focuses on the depiction of him in HBP, which is a little different to this line - not to say that he isn't a little rude about the Gaunts, but having seen just how weird they are, it's hard to argue with his comments. It's probably just a slight retcon/flash of forgetfulness on Rowling's part, but in-universe, you could perhaps explain this change in personality as a reaction to the year or so he spent under the influence of a Love Potion. It's got to have some sort of effect.

Quote:
Each of the Riddles had a look of terror upon his or her face
A side effect of the Curse, or just a sign that they were terrified before they were killed?

Quote:
neither family stayed long. Perhaps it was partly because of Frank that each new owner said there was a nasty feeling about the place
Or maybe Voldemort didn't just kill his father and grandparents, he cursed the family home, in an early version of his curse on the DADA position?

Quote:
'My Lord, may I ask how long we are going to stay here?'
'A week', said the cold voice. 'Perhaps longer.'
I wonder where they might have been going, given that they planned to be back? None of the Death Eaters would have put him up. Maybe Crouch's house? Or Moody's, in his absence?

Quote:
Frank could think of only two sorts of people who would speak in code - spies and criminals
Well, he's not wrong.

Quote:
How am I to survive without you, when I need feeding every few hours?...I am no stronger, and a few days alone would be enough to rob me of the little health I have regained under your clumsy care
Voldemort flat out states that he would die without Wormtail, but Wormtail is still terrified of him. Does that say more about Voldemort, or Wormtail?

Quote:
one many of my followers would give their right hand to perform...
Well first of all, LOL, but also, I bet Bellatrix actually would.

Quote:
'Wormtail, Wormtail,' said the cold voice silkily
That dialogue tag has been seen twice before in the series (at least), and it's always used with Snape. Nice, subtle association going on there.

Quote:
You have no wife...nobody knows you are here. You told nobody that you were coming. Do not lie to Lord Voldemort, Muggle, for he knows...he always knows...
Without apparently casting a spell or even making eye contact, because he's just that creepy and powerful.
@Atram Noctem: yeah, there's no good in-universe reason that I can see for Harry being able to see all of that. Just a refining of the process between here and OoTP, I guess. Shit happens.

Chapter 3: The Invitation

Quote:
'Only after Dudley finished with them,' said Harry coldly.

But Harry wasn't going to stand for this.
He's always had a snarky side, but this is a definite increase in backbone around them over the summer.

Chapter 4: Back to the Burrow

Quote:
he tended to judge other men on how big and expensive their cars were.
How Freudian.

Quote:
There was a loud hammering of fists on the boards behind the electric fire.
So are they trapped in the Floo Network, or do the Dursleys just have a huge fireplace?

Quote:
Dudley appeared to be suffocating under the combined pressure of his mother and his tongue
He's a selfish, spoilt, bullying asshole, but it's hard not to feel sorry for Dudley, sometimes. His three big moments are being partially Transfigured by mistake, cruelly enchanted by design, and nearly having his soul sucked out as collateral damage.

Chapter 5: Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes

Quote:
leakages have been increasing at a rate of almost three percent a year
All joking aside, that's probably actually a fairly serious issue, given the time and effort that goes into brewing some potions. Can you imagine making a batch of Polyjuice that was ruined because of a substandard cauldron?

Quote:
we might well find the market flooded
Well yeah, if the cauldrons are leaking.

Quote:
A lawnmower with unnatural powers
Say what?
Old 12-23-2016, 05:02 AM   #6
Atram Noctem
Professor

@Shinysavage, yes, Voldemort and Wormtail stayed at Crouch's.
Quote:
"And what became of Wormtail after you attacked Moody?" said Dumbledore.
"Wormtail returned to care for my master, in my father's house, and to keep watch over my father."
Old 12-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Chapter 7: Bagman and Crouch

Quote:
'"Really grumpy"?' Ron raised his eyes to the heavens. 'Who cares what he looks like? He's unbelievable.'
Ron's a really enlightened, forward thinking young man.

Quote:
'...that's Bode and Croaker...they're Unspeakables...'
'They're what?'
'From the Department of Mysteries, top-secret, no idea what they get up to...'
Highly classified and dangerous black-ops assassinations, of course. Also, more characters making early bird cameos.

Quote:
He had the look of a powerfully built man gone slightly to seed; the robes were stretched tightly across a large belly he surely had not had when he had played Quidditch for England.
Canonical evidence of Quidditch being good for muscle tone!

Quote:
'Ali thinks there's a niche in the market for a family vehicle,'
Given the difficulty of Apparation (and the non-existence at this stage of the series of Side-Along Apparation), and the fact that Floo Powder, although set at cheap prices, is still an extra expense, Ali may not be entirely wrong.

Chapter 8: The Quidditch World Cup

Quote:
'Ah, I see his house-elf's saving him a seat...'
If the mark of a good house-elf is that they're never heard or seen, then how come so many people recognise Winky?

Quote:
'The Irish National Quidditch Team!...Aaaaand - Lynch!'
Evanna?

Quote:
The Bulgarian Minister
Genuinely the best politician in the entire series.

Quote:
'You dropped it?' repeated Mr Diggory in disbelief. 'Is this a confession?'...
'So,' said Mr Diggory, his eyes hardening as he turned to look at Winky again...
'Well, we'll soon see,' growled Mr Diggory, looking unimpressed...
'So,' said Mr Diggory with a kind of savage triumph...
'You've been caught red-handed, elf!' Mr Diggory roared
Wow. Mr Diggory is kind of an asshole. It makes certain developments in Cursed Child seem a lot more in character than I'd previously thought.