Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 12-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #21
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Chapter 6: Talons and Tea Leaves

Quote:
Professor Trelawney moved into the firelight, and they saw that she was very thin; her large glasses magnified her eyes to several times their natural size, and she was draped in gauzy spangled shawl. Innumerable charms and beads hung around her spindly neck, and her arms and hands were encrusted with bangles and rings.
Given the rise in huge hipster glasses, Pandora and Trollbeads, and the ever popular thin scarf, I feel like this look would actually be considered pretty on trend these days.

Chapter 7: The Boggart in the Wardrobe

Quote:
Potter, you can skin Malfoy's shrivelfig,' said Snape
And thus a genre of fanfiction was born.

Quote:
If it was me, I'd want revenge.
This might well just be Malfoy making an educated guess - although it's a very educated guess, given that Sirius' 'treachery' doesn't seem to be public knowledge - but it does make me wonder whether people like Lucius Malfoy knew that Peter was the spy, not Sirius.

Quote:
Trevor the tadpole
Why does the Shrinking Solution de-age Trevor, not just make him smaller? Although it does explain where all those "Harry has a potions accident and [character X] has to look after baby Harry!" fics come from, I suppose.

Chapter 9: Flight of the Fat Lady

Quote:
Crookshanks slowly chewed up the spider, his yellow eyes fixed insolently on Ron
Hard to argue that Crookshanks was anything other than a dick to Ron, really. Also: I named my late cat Crookshanks, and this is exactly the sort of thing he would have done.

Quote:
Well, look at it logically,' said Hermione, turning to the rest of the group.
It wasn't just HBP she was tactless.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:47 PM   #22
radm94
First Year

I do wonder what happened to Crookshanks, though. We get all sorts of Twitter confirmation from JKR, but we don't know if Crookshanks survived the war.
radm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:54 AM   #23
Blinker
Fourth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
One thing that jumped out at me is that Lupin's trunk has "Professor R. J. Lupin" on it in peeling letters, suggesting that he has been a professor for a while. I've never seen any story with discussion of him either having prior teaching experience or a qualification to justify the title, there never really seems much suggestion of formal teaching training which leans me towards him having previously worked in schools. Any thoughts?
Blinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #24
Rhaegar I
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinker View Post
One thing that jumped out at me is that Lupin's trunk has "Professor R. J. Lupin" on it in peeling letters, suggesting that he has been a professor for a while. I've never seen any story with discussion of him either having prior teaching experience or a qualification to justify the title, there never really seems much suggestion of formal teaching training which leans me towards him having previously worked in schools. Any thoughts?
Maybe he was a Muggle teacher? His mother was Muggle, so he had to be at least somewhat familiar with the Muggle world. He'd be working in the day time, so the fact he was a werewolf wouldn't be an issue. The only time he'd have to worry would be the day after the full moon, and even then he could have just had the day off, some of those days would be a full moon or during the summer anyway, and Muggles would never suspect he was a werewolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorah Mormont
Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar lived.
Rhaegar I is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 12-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #25
Majube
Sixth Year

Hey for the Fez Percy people, didn't he wear one in the movie? I imagine he got it from Egypt an following his fathers footsteps, thought it was muggle-wear or something for Penelope probably since Penelope/Percy
Majube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:34 AM   #26
torrent56
First Year

Marge is really horrible isnít she? No matter how horrible they are, at least Vernon and Petunia did give Harry some personal space (although itís really caused by fear as shinysavage had said) and generally ignored him instead of abusing him to their face. I also donít remember them regularly physically abusing Harry unlike Marge. I agree with Dresden11, she should have got more hate from the fandom then what she did.
She is definitely the worst kind of Muggle shown in the books. I don't think anybody can blame Harry for his reaction here, at that dinner Marge really treated him worse than garbage.
I would like to know how Vernon and Petunia, who values their version of normality above everything else, would think of a single unmarried middle-aged sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT View Post
So Trelawney's actually relatively accurate, but only because she's so vague in everything. Ron's correct on both predictions; this isn't an isolated thing, either, last book he predicted Riddle murdered Myrtle.
Agreed and like McGonagall has said, predicting the future accurately is excruciatingly difficult. This is another example of Ron not being as stupid as some people thinks he is, sigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post
Which begs the question of why they sent him a Christmas present in PS (and CoS? Can't remember). It's presumably not out of any sense of affection. Maybe they're worried about people at Hogwarts getting pissed off with them? Although that doesn't occur to them with their behaviour over the summer.
The Dursleys sent Harry a toothpick with a note asking him whether he can stay at Hogwarts for the summer holiday as well in CoS if I remember. Otherwise I agree, it seems like in the HP series people would send Christmas presents even when they detest each other although that really shows in the presents they gave to each other. It is said Marge once gave a packet of dog biscuits to Harry.
Quote:
Exhibit A: Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone.
There is a line in PS during the troll scene in Halloween that said Harry then did something that was both very brave and stupid. I donít think this part of him changed at all over the heptlogy.
Quote:
Hard to argue that Crookshanks was anything other than a dick to Ron, really.
Quote:
It wasn't just HBP she was tactless.
Totally agree! Ron had his reasons in reacting the ways he did in these cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radm94 View Post
I do wonder what happened to Crookshanks, though. We get all sorts of Twitter confirmation from JKR, but we don't know if Crookshanks survived the war.
Yes, and something else that puzzles me is that we donít even know whether Lavender Brown survived after being mauled by Greyback during the Battle of Hogwarts (although I might have missed a pronouncement somewhere from JKR?).
My guess is that Crookshanks stayed safe and sound in the Burrow over the course of DH but then I cannot know for sure.

Last edited by torrent56; 12-30-2016 at 04:04 AM.
torrent56 is offline   Reply With Quote