Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 12-26-2016, 05:29 AM   #1
BTT
Unspeakable

Week 9: Goblet of Fire, Ch. 11 - 19

Merry Christmas, guys. Time to try and ignore that hangover and get reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 104
and it’s got a horrible reputation.
About Durmstrang. Interesting, though maybe biased?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 105
“Well, you can enchant a building so it’s impossible to plot on a map, can’t you?”
Enchant, not ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 108
“Blimey,” said Ron, shaking his head and sending water everywhere, “if that keeps up the lake’s going to overflow. I’m soak - ARRGH!”
This just isn't Ron's book, isn't it? Poor guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 108
Professor McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress and head of Gryffindor House, had come dashing out of the Great Hall; she skidded on the wet floor and grabbed Hermione around the neck
I bet she's wanted to do that for a while.

I suppose this is a good a time as any to ask: when you read the Sorting Hat's song, what melody do you put it to?

Aaand now begins Hermione's Elf Rights crusade. Uurgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 123
“Like poor Eloise Midgen,” said Hannah Abbott, a Hufflepuff, in a hushed voice. “She tried to curse hers off.
“Silly girl,” said Professor Sprout, shaking her head. “But Madam Pomfrey fixed her nose back on in the end.”
I love how she's the recurring butt for those kinds of jokes, moreso because it's never actually stated what she looks like or what she's done this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 167
“Oh good, hurry up,” said Ron, and he jumped down the stone steps, keeping his eyes on the back of the veela-girl, who was now halfway across the lawn with Madame Maxime.
I'm sure he was keeping his eyes there, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 175
“Zey are saying zat zis little boy is to compete also!”
Little, not leetle. I feel like the second used a lot more, for some reason.
I do wonder why this wasn't in French though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 189
Jets of light shot from both wands, hit each other in midair, and ricocheted off at angles — Harry’s hit Goyle in the face, and Malfoy’s hit Hermione.
Jinxes can collide and deflect one another. Fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 193
The moment Rita Skeeter had spoken, the green quill had started to scribble, skidding across the parchment:
Attractive blonde Rita Skeeter, forty-three, who’s savage quill has punctured many inflated reputations –
I assume that she's at least a couple of years older than forty-three then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 196
Containing a single hair from the tail of a particularly fine male unicorn… must have been seventeen hands; nearly gored me with his horn after I plucked his tail.
So Ollivander gathers his own crafting materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 196
“Hmm,” said Mr. Ollivander, “this is a Gregorovitch creation, unless I’m much mistaken? A fine wand-maker, though the styling is never quite what I… however…”
Another pre-relevance mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 200
Harry liked Hermione very much, but she just wasn’t the same as Ron. There was much less laughter and a lot more hanging around in the library when Hermione was your best friend.
Harmonians and everyone who likes H/Hr still officially delusional; news at eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 205
Harry, however, thought it better just to be quick at whatever Hagrid wanted him for. He was very curious to know what this might be; Hagrid had never asked Harry to visit him so late at night.
Oh my.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 211
- and reading between the lines of that Skeeter woman’s article last month, Moody was attacked the night before he started at Hogwarts. Yes, I know she says it was another false alarm,” Sirius said hastily, seeing Harry about to speak, “but I don’t think so, somehow. I think someone tried to stop him from getting to Hogwarts. I think someone knew their job would be a lot more difficult with him around. And no one’s going to look into it too closely; Mad-Eye’s heard intruders a bit too often.
Sirius predicting basically the entire twist right here. With this and Bill in the previous chapters the entire final bit of the book was laid out right in front of us. Amazing, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 211
“But you can do it alone,” said Sirius. “There is away, and a simple spell’s all you need. Just -”
Just what? What simple spell takes down a dragon?
EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by page 258
I was going to suggest a Conjunctivitus Curse, as a dragon’s eyes are its weakest point –
In Sirius' letter. Thanks, MattSilver.

Last edited by BTT; 12-26-2016 at 07:41 AM.
BTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 12-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Atram Noctem
High Inquisitor

Quote:
"Oh yeah, you were staying with them this summer, weren't you, Potter?" sneered Malfoy. "So tell me, is his mother really that porky, or is it just the picture?
Stay classy, Malfoy.

Quote:
"You know your mother, Malfoy?" said Harry - both he and Hermione had grabbed the back of Ron's robes to stop him from launching himself at Malfoy - "that expression she's got, like she's got dung under her nose? Has she always looked like that, or was it just because you were with her?"

Quote:
"Good one," said Ron, copying it down. "Because of… erm… Mercury. Why don't you get stabbed in the back by someone you thought was a friend?"
Yea, good one. Happens twice in the book, arguably.

Quote:
"You seem to be drowning twice," said Hermione.
"Oh am I?" said Ron, peering down at his predictions.
Well, he does drown in this book.

Quote:
Harry rose a few more feet, and she let out a roar of exasperation. He was like a fly to her, a fly she was longing to swat; her tail thrashed again, but he was too high to reach now.… She shot fire into the air, which he dodged.… Her jaws opened wide.…
"Come on," Harry hissed, swerving tantalizingly above her, "come on, come and get me…up you get now…"
And then she reared, spreading her great, black, leathery wings at last, as wide as those of a small airplane - and Harry dived.
Heh. Perhaps that stupid trope is true and Parseltongue can really work on dragons.

Looking at Ron and Hermione's interactions in this book, it's really amazing that anyone has ever thought Rowling wasn't shipping them. They are constantly intimidated by the other's attraction to third parties, and Ron always comments on everything she does, including her diet. Hermione gets utterly catty at the girls from Beauxbatons.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Chapter 11: Aboard the Hogwarts Express

Quote:
Mrs Weasley had braved the telephone in the village Post Office to order three ordinary Muggle taxis
If she tried this now, she'd either be turned away, or treated with that special retail brand of contemptuous politeness.

Quote:
Hermione...started trying to learn the Summoning Charm
And a good thing she does!

Chapter 12: The Triwizard Tournament

Quote:
Nick was dressed tonight in his usual doublet, with a particularly large ruff
This implies that ghosts can change their clothes, at least, which is a little unusual.

Quote:
Shrewd Slytherin, from fen
Bear with me here, because I'm either reading far too much into a coincidence brought about by the need for rhyme, or this is the greatest joke in the entire series. Fens are marshlands covering a decent chunk of the UK, and in particular are found around Norfolk. Norfolk is - allegedly - an area notorious for the amounts of incest and inbreeding going on, which of course would be the perfect point of origin for the father of Pureblood ideology!

Quote:
The schools took it in turns to host the Tournament once every five years
I'd forgotten that bit - I'd assumed the lack of Tournament in the next three books was due to Cedric's death, but maybe not (although probably).

Quote:
It is highly unlikely that students below sixth and seventh year will be able to to cope with them.
I know that Harry gets a fair bit of assistance, one way or the other, but still - never let it be said that he isn't badass.

Chapter 13: Mad-Eye Moody

Quote:
She tried to curse hers off.
Do we think there's a particular curse you would use for this, and Eloise just got it wrong? Or did she use a more general curse, with predictably bad results? (Perhaps a Vanishing Charm?)

Quote:
Can I have a look at Uranus, too, Lavender?
He would use this line again with greater success in sixth year.

Quote:
Why don't you get stabbed in the back by someone you thought was a friend?
Give it a couple of chapters... /Ron bashing

Quote:
You seem to be drowning twice
It's actually Harry who nearly drowns twice, once at the end of the second task, when the Gillyweed wears off, and once in DH, when the locket tries to choke him when he's retrieving the sword.

Quote:
You're treasurer, Ron
If any of them is going to have a good idea about how to keep an eye on their funds, it's a Weasley /more Ron bashing

Chapter 15: Beauxbatons and Durmstrang

Quote:
hundreds upon hundreds of owls
Leaving aside the fact that there must be some school owls for official business, this seems an exaggeration given the number of students we actually see, and especially given that not all those students have their own owl. Or, you know, Rowling math/exaggeration for effect.

Quote:
Neville performed a series of quite astonishing gymnastics that he would certainly not have been capable of in his normal state
So the Imperius doesn't just make you obey the caster to the best of your ability, it actually enables you to do things you normally can't?

Quote:
Professor Flitwick had asked them to read three extra books in preparation for their lesson on Summoning Charms
Next time someone says that all there is to magic is point and flick, plus practice, remind them of this. Three books, for one spell.

Quote:
his white hair was short
I always pictured Karkaroff as being younger than this suggests, presumably due to the film.

Quote:
Dear old Hogwarts
This suggests a certain familiarity with the school - perhaps he's an old boy?
Old 12-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
TheTycat
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post
So the Imperius doesn't just make you obey the caster to the best of your ability, it actually enables you to do things you normally can't?
I imagined that part as the curse forcing Neville to ignore pain that would otherwise stop him. After all, I could do a split if it weren't for the excruciating pain in my crotch.
TheTycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 01-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Chapter 16: The Goblet of Fire

Quote:
'Are you seventeen then?' asked Harry.
Clearly, the Quidditch team are a tight knit bunch.

Quote:
Hagrid darning his socks and arguing with Hermione about house-elves - for he flatly refused to join S.P.E.W when she showed him her badges.
'It'd be doin' em an unkindness, Hermione,'
I know there's a lot of disagreement about the status of house-elves, but this is probably the biggest argument in favour of the status quo, to my mind. If Hagrid doesn't think they need or want better treatment, then I'm happy to take that as almost gospel that they don't.

Chapter 17: The Four Champions

Quote:
We all know Professor Moody considers the morning wasted if he hasn't discovered six plots to murder him before lunchtime...though of course, I heard that you recently got it into your head that one of your birthday presents contained a cunningly disguised basilisk egg...
So, obviously Karkaroff already knows Moody from his Death Eater days, fine. The six plots line sounds more like a sarcastic remark than anything else, fine. The disguised basilisk egg though has more of the ring of truth about it though - so, is Moody that famous internationally, or has Karkaroff been doing his research?

Quote:
There are those who'll turn innocent occasions to their advantage
Yes. Moody!Crouch. He lays more or less the entire scheme in this scene, and nobody picks up on it.

Quote:
'I'm not an idiot, you know.'
'You're doing a really good impression of it,'
In retrospect, this all seems a little forced. The hints that Ron has some not so well hidden insecurities and jealousy issues are few and far between, and they really explode here. I guess puberty is a thing, and the Tournament is a bigger and more positive thing than Harry's been involved in so far, but Rowling really does lay it on thick to be honest.

Chapter 18: The Weighing of the Wands

Quote:
Snape looked coldly at Hermione, then said, 'I see no difference.'
Remind me again why Snape/Hermione is a thing? And people say Harmionians are delusional.

Quote:
'Please, sir - he's got to take his things with him,'
Colin Creevey, casually telling Snape what's what.

Quote:
'Great,' said Harry dully. 'Exactly what I need. More publicity.'
I really need an AU where Lockhart is at Hogwarts during the Tournament.

Quote:
Rita Skeeter
She's basically Katie Hopkins, right?

Chapter 19: The Hungarian Horntail

Quote:
'I've just been crying my eyes out over my dead mum, and I'm just off to do a bit more...'
It was Cho.
You'd think that might actually attract her...

Quote:
Moody had told them all during their last Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson that he preferred to prepare his own food and drink at all times
Apart from those sausages during the start of term feast. Maybe Crouch was still pinning down the character. Incidentally, which do we think was more important to Voldemort and Crouch? Getting Moody off the table, or having someone who was known for using his own flask?

Quote:
That's when I open my trunk.
I really want to know what's in the other compartments (beyond the spellbooks and whatnot that we see at the end).

Quote:
At two o'clock in the morning, Harry stood near the fireplace, surrounded by heaps of objects - books, quills, several upturned chairs, an old set of Gobstones and Neville's toad, Trevor.
Bit harsh. How does Neville feel about this?