Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
nevu
Squib

The Red Knight by Demon Eyes Laharl -T

Title: The Red Knight
Author: Demon Eyes Laharl
Rating:T
Genre:Adventure/Humor/Mystery
Library Category:Alternates
Pairings:RW/DG
Summary: When Ron Weasley realized he was reborn to the world with his memories mostly intact, he felt it was a second chance to do better. However, he slowly realizes that this world was different from his own. Making new friends and earning new enemies, he has to use his experience from his previous life not only to reach his goals, but also to survive. AU

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12141684/1/The-Red-Knight

This was brought up in the almost recommended thread a few times and it's cracked 100k words and has finished its first arc. It seems like a fic worth being looked at via the review board at this point. Apologies if I've done anything incorrectly.

The basic premise is that canon RW is reborn into a fanon AU after a long life. His mother has become a cliche, Harry is now female, Hermione hates him, Ginny is loudly and pointlessly drawing attention to 9 3/4, etc. He's mostly completely baffled by the changes, and there's a good deal of humor to be had from the situation. The story is at its strongest when it gently mocks cliches, and probably at its weakest when it dives into a mystery tangent that consumes the latter half of what has been written so far due to a lackluster handling of the identity of the antagonist.

I've never particularly cared for Ron Weasley, but the portrayal of him in this fic was fairly likable. The relationship between him and DG gets a little weird and creepy later on (the problem is best encapsulated by him unironically saying "m'lady" in later chapters frequently. I see what the author was attempting, but it was a poor nickname for him to choose) but that's fairly common to all these sorts of stories with time traveling.

Mechanically - It's told from a 1st person POV with a fairly strong and consistent voice, a rarity in HP fanfiction. I don't recall seeing any particularly grating grammatical errors.

Personally, I give it a 4/5. It has some very noticeable flaws but its strengths shine through in spite of them.
nevu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, alternate universe, author: demon eyes laharl, dimension hopping, humor, mystery, ron/daphne, time travel, timetravel