Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion > Story Search
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 09-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
The Mysterious Nobody
Auror

Harry the detective/auror?

I'm looking for noir/crime fanfiction set in the Wizarding World. According to canon, Harry becomes an Auror, and despite a few notable exceptions, I have yet to see a fic exploring and exploiting that concept.

I just finished the "Millennium trilogy" and it wasn't as satisfying as I hoped, and most importantly, it didn't give me my weekly fix of noir/crime genre. It's this, or re-reading all Sherlock Holmes' and Agatha Christie's novels again (and I'll probably do that anyway).

So, do you know about any story like that? I don't care if it's canon, after the Deathly Hallows, or an Alternative Universe. Just an interesting plot involving Harry, a crime in the Wizarding World and an investigation.

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/images/u_signature/sigpic3502_1.gif
The Mysterious Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Demons In The Night
Chief Warlock

not Harry centered, here's a good auror/detective fic:

Nymphadora Tonks and the Liquor of Jacmel » by SnorkackCatcher reviews Newly qualified Auror Nymphadora Tonks puts her Metamorphmagus talents to good use on her first case when investigating the trade in a highly dangerous potion, while dealing with the complications caused by her very Black family history ...Complete - Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - Mystery/Adventure - Chapters: 29 - Words: 279,130 - Reviews: 32 - Updated: 7-18-07 - Published: 3-11-07 - N. Tonks & Kingsley S.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Sirius Issues
First Year

Two that stand out from memory, but are no where near decent enough are the Resolution/Revolution Trilogy thing which is Harry training to be an auror with Guardian/Mentor Snape (yuck) which has some Harry/Tonks interaction. The second is the Cygnus Crux Trilogy plus one off's. Based around a super police force Harry with magical machines. It is also Harry/Ginny.
Sirius Issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
The Mysterious Nobody
Auror

I finished the Tonks' one. Was pretty good. I'll look if t's in the library to put it in for review.

Anyway, no more stories?

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/images/u_signature/sigpic3502_1.gif
The Mysterious Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Militis
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Nobody View Post
I finished the Tonks' one. Was pretty good. I'll look if t's in the library to put it in for review.
It is. Filler.
Militis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
phoenix_rage
First Year

I remember reading a One-Shot having Auror Harry. He was the warden of Azkaban, some psycho took over the prison and set up a sick game challenging Harry to reach the control room before sunrise (or was it midnight, I don't remember clearly). He and his Aurors had to face a lot of adversities including mad prisoners, imprisoned death eaters and twisted mind games. It definitely didn't have any crime investigation, but the plot did have a nice suspense. Does anyone know this fic?
phoenix_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Perspicacity
High Inquisitor
High Score: 3,994

DLP Supporter Donor Star
You're not referring to Tick Tock, Mr. Potter by Hamath, are you?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Nobody View Post
I'm looking for noir/crime fanfiction set in the Wizarding World. According to canon, Harry becomes an Auror, and despite a few notable exceptions, I have yet to see a fic exploring and exploiting that concept.

So, do you know about any story like that?
Yeah. It's currently on my HDD, being written >_>

A short novel, noir/crime, 30k - 50k words, ETA (hopefully) still this year. I'm gonna finish it, before I think about posting it. In my mind, the concept is awesome, but it might turn out crap after all, and if it doesn't, I'll have fix update rates for once. Month-long gaps between chapters would kill this type of story, anyway.
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
Perspicacity
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Heh. My Dresden crossover, "Lost Soul" was intended to do this too, but I really need to reread Dresden before I continue with that one.

It's been ages since I read it, but I recall hmwimsy's Coven of Echoes was a fairly dark detective novel with an Auror Harry. If you can stomach a Harry/Ginny pairing, it's one of the better ones.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Silens Cursor
Dark Lord
The Silencer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Heh. My Dresden crossover, "Lost Soul" was intended to do this too, but I really need to reread Dresden before I continue with that one.
Then get to reading, because I read that last night and it was fucking awesome.
Silens Cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
phoenix_rage
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
You're not referring to Tick Tock, Mr. Potter by Hamath, are you?
That's the one, Thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
sirius009
Minister for Magic

Heather Sinclairs Gentleman Usher of the Scarlet Rod

Harry couldn't help it; he busted out laughing. "Oh, you mean Parvati?"

"Yeah, Pervatty! What's that bitch up to?"
sirius009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Mindless
Big Boss

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius009 View Post
Heather Sinclairs Gentleman Usher of the Scarlet Rod
Not really what they're talking about. You're right in that Harry's nominally an Auror, but it's not the mystery/crime that they're looking for.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
phoenix_rage
First Year

I read this This a long time ago, from what I can remember the beginning was pretty decent and had some mystery but the story was a let off as the plot progressed (in my opinion, its in the library though). It's not exactly a crime mystery but I think the story began with Harry investigating killings which the unspeakables were trying to cover up.

Tags
auror, crime, detective, noir