Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Great Hall > Hall of Shame
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #41
Perspicacity
High Inquisitor
High Score: 3,994

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'm pretty sure that the MoR thread was heading for death anyway, since we were spending about 95% of the time commenting on his author's comments and 5% on the story itself. (It was an even worse signal-to-noise than The Santi's story thread is now or Miranda Flairgold's or Oblong/Fettucini/SerpentSannin/MrJoe's story threads back in their day).

For me, one of the most entertaining moments on DLP during the last few years was when the author came on and trolled the DLP thread about his story and the response was, effectively, "Meh," and everyone essentially ignored him and went back to what we were talking about.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #42
mknote
Disappeared
1/3 of the Note Bros.

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Everyone on DLP knows that I like MoR: I think it's a well written account of a smart!Harry. Still, this does seem like a bit of a dick move. He's not really threatening to not update - he's just saying he'll update faster - but this type of thing gives fanfiction a bad name. Personally, I think there's a big chance of MoR getting taken down over this, and I really don't see the need for it.

Here's to hoping everything turns out okay.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #43
Greener
Sixth Year

Personally, I hope that this is taken care of strictly within FF.net... I'd rather not set the precedent of a production company going after a fanfiction writer.

Something like them demanding that all works based on their copyrighted assets be taken down would suck... mind you this is an extreme case, but you never know where things might lead if you tickle the dragon.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #44
Blaise
Golden Patronus

It's an extreme case, but it'd be easy as shit to execute. Any author, at any time, just has to say the word "No" and ff.net will pull it. Done.

Last edited by Blaise; 08-26-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #45
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
I'd much rather see Yudkowsky see sense and remove his request himself before anything that upsets a lot of people happens like having his story taken down. The more attention this matter gets the worse the situation becomes - no one wants to see fanfiction get a worse reputation than the one it is already struggling to throw off, and this guy's story has significant popularity to accomplish that if things go sour.

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE
Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #46
Rym
Auror

Yet another thread devoted to Yudkowsky on DLP.

Le sigh.

Just Write.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #47
Vir
Centauri Ambassador
Prodigium Magus

DLP Supporter Donor Star
The best part is that if he doesn't keep his word, and the chapters are even a day late, everyone can sue him, even those who didn't donate, because of the contract which he created. Hooray.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #48
Rubicon
Professor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'd like to point out that OP only quoted part of the A/N. The real WTF moment is:

Quote:
Casting for voice parts is ongoing in the Audiobook project, see profile.
HPMOR is now available as an Android app, see A/N.
...really.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #49
NoxedSalvation
Temporarily Banhammered

@Rubicon I thought this was for free- and the link he posted on his author page is dead anyway.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #50
Fiat
The Chosen One

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
Perhaps his best bet (and, Yudkowsky, we both know that your Google alerts inform you when you or your story is mentioned, so consider this my advice to you, friend) if that were to occur would be to try to find a university willing to accept him as a grad student and wait out the recession sipping lattes and ogling fine specimens of the gender he prefers. At the very least, he'll be able to maintain a semblance of academic freedom and along the way pick up some of the academic credentials he's missing. Even Eric Drexler, nanotech visionary, found he had to go back to get his Ph.D.
I'd assume that he'd need a highschool diploma/a bachelor's degree to go to grad school.

However, as you're the one with the PhD, I'm inclined to assume that you probably know better than I do about this topic.

On Topic: Christ, why do we need another topic about Yudkowsky on DLP? He's a shitty author with a needlessly apocalyptic view of any Singularity that he's not behind the wheel of. I appreciate all the publicity he's brought to transhumanism but does he really deserve any more attention?
Old 08-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #51
Sol
High Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindrome View Post
I'd much rather see Yudkowsky see sense and remove his request himself before anything that upsets a lot of people happens like having his story taken down. The more attention this matter gets the worse the situation becomes - no one wants to see fanfiction get a worse reputation than the one it is already struggling to throw off, and this guy's story has significant popularity to accomplish that if things go sour.
No dice. If it's true that MoR has already made $60,000 in "donations" for this Singularity bit then simply removing the request won't do anything. People have already paid for the service. And if Rowling's lawyers are true to form, this is the kind of thing they come down on hard.

In fact, with Pottermore releasing soon, I don't think Yud's-his-face could have picked a worse time to pull a stunt like this from a fanfiction perspective. Coming down hard on fanfiction and other H.P. related sites would leave Pottermore essentially alone as an online source for H.P. related escapism and world-building.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #52
Klael
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
Coming down hard on fanfiction and other H.P. related sites would leave Pottermore essentially alone as an online source for H.P. related escapism and world-building.
That idea is terrifying in its own regard. You mean to tell me that we'll have no salvation from the cringe-worthy

Slytherin!Merlin
and other horrible canon add-ons Rowling comes up with?

I genuinely hope that they don't use this as an excuse (as if they'd need one, in a legal sense) to do anything other than censor Yudkowsky and pull his fanfic. Let's hope that someone doesn't come up with the brilliant idea that this is the rationale for declaring war on all fanfiction. I agree that it seems unlikely, but companies can be notoriously overreactive about that sort of thing and I wouldn't be shocked--though I would be surprised--if the wrath of WB or Rowling did more damage than just to Yud's account.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #53
Warlocke
Heir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
...really.
I've seen a story with MP3 commentary, so why not?

If I had the talent, I'd draw or animate my stories. I think any author would, given the time and talent.

"Let me tell you a little something about love, Dennis. It has a voracious appetite. It eats everything- Friendship. Family. It kills me how much it eats. But I'll tell you something else. You feed it right, and it can be a beautiful thing, and that's what we have." - Arnie Cunningham, Christine

STEAM
Old 08-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #54
Rubicon
Professor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
@Warlocke: Meant the android app. I just found it crazy / amusing that someone took the time to develop one just for MoR.

OT:

I would think there's a clear difference between making money from fanfic, like selling printed copies, and saying, "I'm posting this one way or the other but you'll get it sooner if you donate to XYZ charity that I work for." (Actually, he doesn't even phrase it like that -- he avoids explicitly asking for donations from his readers.)

At the very least, the already ambiguous legal situation of fanfic is even less clear in this situation.

And, part of me wonders whether Yudkowsky might actually appreciate the attention that a lawsuit from Rowling would bring the Singularity Institute and his friendly AI research.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #55
Stalin's Pipe Organs
Auror

What exactly is so wrong about us taking the time to bash LessWrong?

What is so bad about retaliating after he talked shit about DLP?

Now Silens is accepting blame for starting the bash fest in the MoR thread. What the fuck is up with that? Yudkowsky, the little pretentious shit he is, deserves to be verbally attacked. The MoR thread was one of the best DLP threads for the fact that we showed the fanfiction community who is BOSS. Sure a bunch of 14 year old fangirls might dislike us and talk shit about us. Well isn't that part of what DLP is about? It used to bring us great joy to know that we're so hated by the morons of the HP community.

What's with these pacifist views that are being propagated by GL?

It's fun to bash deserving LessWrong-like noobs on DLP.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #56
Portus
Heir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlocke View Post
If I had the talent, I'd draw or animate my stories. I think any author would, given the time and talent.
What stories, motherfucker? As funny as you are in other people's threads, I think you could make some lulzy crack!fics, if only you'd buckle down.

And fuck you for making me post in this godforsaken thread. I haven't read the first word of this story and have no plans to, so I couldn't care less except that it's generated three pages of posts in the first day, for what's apparently a shit story by a rank amateur, and a dick one at that.

Geminio - Story Showcase - For Review - FF.net - PC

Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 08-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #57
Rubicon
Professor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalin's Pipe Organs View Post
What exactly is so wrong about us taking the time to bash LessWrong?

What is so bad about retaliating after he talked shit about DLP?
I feel like that horse is pretty dead, dude. After the zillionth page it starts seeming like an obsession, rather than a righteous stand against bad fanfic.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #58
Luckylee
Disappeared
Top 1 Percent

Well I just went to look at the note and he has already took it down.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #59
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
It's still there for me. Europe server may be taking time to update. But I have a screenshot anyway XD

Regarding what is being discussed ITT:

1. I think people who think that the whole HP section of FF.Net would be taken down for this are paranoid. HP copyright holders have enforced their copyright on multiple occasions. On none of those occasions did they decide to take out all fanfic. I don't see why they would this time.

2. Even if it was a significant risk, it's still moral cowardice to back out of condemning something you think is wrong (profiteering from fanfic) out of fear that the reprisals may affect you.

(Also, even if FF.Net were taken down, DLP would go on. Most of our content is internally generated these days, and we have PC as a perfectly capable archive site).

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Old 08-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #60
Blaise
Golden Patronus

1. They'd take it down for the same reason we're shitting on this kid - he's trying to get money in exchange for chapters in a 'verse he doesnt own.

2. Yuck Wang* is still a fuckface, but GL rightly pointed out that this should only look like exactly what it is (TOS violation) as opposed to DLP slinging shit at an author they don't like. Ideally this thread would disappear, but I don't need to let a thread know that I filed my complaint to ff.net to distance myself from any apparent cowardice on my part.

*Autocorrect on the phone changed the author's name to "Yuck Wang." Fiiiiine by me XD

Tags
about time troll tagging got started, degenerating thread alert, degenerating thread? degenerating from what?, good sir you can't be mo- (read user name) apparently you are more wrong., internet drama, make it stop, more or less wrong, nigga just went full retard, the game, troll