Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Hw597
Seventh Year

The Havoc Side of the Force by Tsu Doh Nimh - T - HP/Star Wars

Title: The Havoc Side of the Force
Author: Tsu Doh Nimh
Rating: T
Genre: Fantasy/ Mystery
DLP Category: Alternative
Chapters: 7
Words: 31,217
Updated: October 24, 2012
Published: September 6, 2012

Summary: I have a singularly impressive talent for messing up the plans of very powerful people - both good and evil. Somehow, I'm always just in the right place at exactly the wrong time. What can I say? It's a gift.
Link: The Havoc Side of the Force

Side Stories:

Title: The Unsuspecting side of the Force
Rating: T
Genre: Fantasy/ Mystery
DLP Category: Alternative
Chapters: 3
Words: 11,450
Updated: November 2, 2012
Published: October 9, 2012
Summary: A companion fic to "The Havoc side of the Force". Extra scenes and different perspectives from that story.
Link: The Unsuspecting Side of the Force (Side Stories)
Harry Potter/ Star Wars cross.

I feel like nowadays it is next to impossible to find new stories worth reading anywhere but here at DLP. This story has proven me wrong.
It's still early days but the quality of the writing suggests that it could one day be a 5/5. At this point I will call it 4/5 until more of the actual plot is revealed. Writing is very solid. The characterization is strong, and Harry is suitably kick ass.
In fact, after reading it I kind of suspected it was Jbern writing under a psuedonym (something about this reminds me of Bungle/ Lie).

Checked by Minion, February 4, 2013

Last edited by Dark Minion; 02-04-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Hw597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
TRH
Slug Club Member

Wasn't this in the Almost Recommended thread? It seems familiar.

Edit: Jbern with a Tsu Doh Nimh, eh? I see what you did there...

Just now read the fic. 5/5 for Harry's Droid friend alone.

Last edited by TRH; 10-09-2012 at 09:54 PM.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Russano
Disappeared

Absolutely love what I've seen so far. 5/5 from me. Plot hasn't been revealed yet, but everything else has been great.
Russano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
SmileOfTheKill
Headmaster
Magical Amber

It's a bloody guilty pleasure. It is wildly different so as being amusing with decent writing, but Harry is one of those hurp a durp anti-heroes, murder and darkness is cool, and something else about acting awesome.
"All they do is expound their store of knowledge. They excite themselves with their ranting; their disapproval swells them with a feeling of importance and sick victory, they thrive on spoiling the pleasure and trashing the creativity of others."
The Minister shares her opinion of critics. ~ Kino's Journey
SmileOfTheKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
coleam
Death Eater

Been following this since it showed up in the Almost Recommended thread, and I've enjoyed it, if for no other reason than it's a Star Wars crossover that doesn't suck.

4/5 for solid writing and HK-47. It really hasn't gone anywhere yet though - 6 chapters in and we only just figured out when in the SW universe it takes place.

Pretty sure it's Phantom Menace, given the discussion of a Trade Federation invasion.

coleam is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
Infidel
Auror

Excellent. I was planning to put this up for review, but wanted to wait till the story progressed a bit.

I enjoy the characters. HK-47's and Harry's dialogues are real fun to read. The chapters ending comments are usually great, but the reaction of the force sensitives to his appearance and later his apparation has me concerned that he might have too great an advantage.

A solid 4/5 right now. Looking forward for more.

"I saw reality. I saw everything, haha, everything! It was nothing. There isn't a great beyond waiting for us after we die. It's all strange and it doesn't care.
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
Nauro
Headmaster

Send a message via Skype™ to Nauro
I rather like this story. One of the best SW crossovers, probably because there are almost no good ones to speak off.

It is a bit too focused on a dark Harry picture, and the added HK-47 does fit very well with the characterization but so far the characterization itself isn't anything miraculous.

Also, there's a companion(minion) piece to the story that's supposed to be focused on the other events at the same time, and I don't like the way certain things are written.

Apparently, upon the arrival of Harry Potter, someone else came as well, and both of their presence sent a tremor down the force powerful enough to knock out a bunch of Jedi and even the local Sith lord/emperor-wannabee.
And that handling of the 'signal' is something that I think was totally meaningless and doesn't really show any power on anyone's part, but is simply lousy writing, trying to get attention to things that shouldn't be as important.

So yeah, all in all it's somewhere ~3.5/5 and I think I'm going to wait a few updates to write a mark, but I am leaning towards 4, especially if ignoring the extra material.
/VVVV\
Nauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
Ayreon
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I don't know how he's going to get out of the corner he's written Harry into by not understanding the language.
At some point he has to do a time-skip of at least a couple of weeks to have Harry learn Basic.

Also, I completely agree with SmileOfTheKill on the anti-hero issue.
Harry is pretty much just an asshole and I haven't really seen anything that would make me want to stick with the character long-term.
It's like I said in the Almost Recommended thread: it's something that would have been popular on DLP 5 years ago - darkish, badass, anti-hero Harry - but nowadays I need something more.

The only thing that holds it together until now has been the setting and the suspense of where the plot will go in that setting.

~~ Chuck Reid
Ayreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Kurufinwe
Groundskeeper

Also extra, side scenes are available:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8594589/...e-of-the-Force
Love, gimme love, gimme love, I don't need it But I'll take what I want from your heart and I'll keep it In a bag, in a box , put an X on the floor Gimme more, gimme more, gimme more, shut up and sing it with me.

My Chemical Romance
Kurufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Novera
Seventh Year

I really like this one. First of all, its a Star Wars crossover that is readable. Secondly, the main characters are written in a way that is highly entertaining to read. The problem is that Harry is completely unrecognizable.

The story seems to follow canon until the end of book 7, but then Harry does a complete 180. Sure, the author might justify the change as Harry getting a little pay back, but on arrival in the Star Wars universe you would think that would tone down a bit. The complete lack of empathy that this Harry exhibits is so far from canon Harry that I would say that he is simply an OC that happened to share a name and experience with canon Harry.

The one turn of events that the author uses to explain the shift is pretty weak as well.

Before I wrote this, I was going to give this a 4/5, but I think that it is closer to a 3/5 because of the complete lack of anything recognizable in Harry.

That doesn't mean that I am not sticking with it, though. It is decently written and fun to read if only for the simple fact that this Harry and HK-47 are hilarious.
Novera is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
13thadaption
Slug Club Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
It's pretty short to try and rate, and the plot hasn't so much as reared its head yet, but I'd probably give it a 4/5.

I was expecting barely readable when I read it was a HP/SW crossover, and I was pleasantly surprised. Harry's characterization is a bit out there, but no more so than half the other stuff I like on this site. I'm not even sure I'd call it dark!Harry, exactly. Sure he's ruthless, but he's not waxing poetic about the Dark Arts or anything. He talks the talk, but I expect his people saving thing will reappear in some capacity at some point. At the moment he doesn't even really have anyone he can empathize with to want to save.

Anyway it's new, it's interesting, and I could use something on my favorites list that actually updates. I am pleased.

13thadaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
ZombieHunter
Fifth Year

I like it. 4/5
'Cause promises, like lives, can be bought so very cheap. ~Tender Lumplings - Oingo Boingo
ZombieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
Moeed
Third Year

4/5. If there is a deeper plot then what we have been shown so far then I'll give it 5.
"You think a perpetual Genjutsu will work, pathetic creature? To use the moon? Do you know not the rules of energy, of mass? You cannot create or destroy matter, but only transform it. You cannot remove energy from the universe —only add to it. The soul, the chakra, once it departs…it is forever gone. That is the truth of Chakra". Introverted by shadenight123
Moeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Kyouzou
First Year

Plot issues aside, I'm really enjoying this so far, the dynamic between Harry and HK is particularly hilarious when mixed with the whole anti-hero shtick he has going on. Although I will admit, the lack of a hero complex is somewhat disappointing. 4/5
Kyouzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
Marcus Livius Drusus
Second Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This is about as good as a Star Wars cross can be. The universes are just way too incompatible. Science fiction and fantasy are like water and oil: similar in many ways but they don't mix well, unless you've got an egg to help create an emulsion...and some vinegar for flavour, perhaps spread on toast and topped with bacon, lettuce and tomatoes. Excuse me, I must leave--I've just made a discovery of great importance.

Last edited by Marcus Livius Drusus; 10-14-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Marcus Livius Drusus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 10-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Nargles
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurufinwe View Post
Also extra, side scenes are available:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8594589/...e-of-the-Force
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
It might be a good idea to add this link to the OP. I get the feeling this fic is going to be incomplete without the extra scenes.
At bottom, you see, we are not Homo-sapiens at all. Our core is madness. The prime directive is murder. What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

- Stephen King
Nargles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
Antivash
Until we meet again...
...Stay gold. Bang.

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Antivash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargles View Post
It might be a good idea to add this link to the OP. I get the feeling this fic is going to be incomplete without the extra scenes.
Added. Which makes me want to go add a bbcode for ffn links. >_>

[ffn]storyid[/ffn] would be awesome. >_>

Find out how to use a steam sig like this here!
PS: If you PM and ask how to do it, I will ban you. Srsly.

Last edited by Antivash; 10-16-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Antivash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
Antivash
Until we meet again...
...Stay gold. Bang.

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Antivash
It would be awesome if it existed. So it now... it exists. Top post format section is relevant. Quote for ease of use:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post

Linking has been simplified for fanfiction.net stories with a new BBCode tag, ffn. You only need to input your storyid into the tag.

Example: For http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8591872/1/, you would enter [ffn]8591872[/ffn], which will result in Link being displayed.
Doublepost for attention.

Find out how to use a steam sig like this here!
PS: If you PM and ask how to do it, I will ban you. Srsly.
Antivash is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #19
NoxedSalvation
Temporarily Banhammered

A fun read, with anti- hero Harry romping through the starting phase of the war against the Confederacy on Coruscant. The addition of the "side stories" has opened up a glimpse of the possible plot too, and it looks promising enough.

4/5
NoxedSalvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Pirazy
Groundskeeper

Harry Potter kicking ass and taking names with the greatest droid ever invented as a sidekick?

Yeah this might just be the best starwars crossover ever written.

Tags
author: tsu doh nimh, crossover, fantasy, hp/star wars, mystery, star wars