Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #321
Jon
Administrator
The Ḑ͉͙̫̑̂ͮ̎̍͒̽̉̆̀ͅȇ̱̯̘̖̾͐͐͂͢m̴̢͙̟̤̤̝̍ͫ͂̏̒́͘o̒n

Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseTomato View Post

I didn't think Jedi were the sort to pre-emptively 'deal with' problematic figures.

Ki Adi definitely didn't read like a Jedi to me here.
I presume that in the future we're going to find out that's he has been mind controlled or some bullshit to justify the straight up OOC.

FFN Profile || WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB || Patronus

"Jon's fics are kinda like children in a way.
Bright, pretty, smart—children that any father would kill to have.
And he just tells them he needs to buy a pack of cigarettes."

—Lungs, 2015
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:02 AM   #322
Puzzled
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I presume that in the future we're going to find out that's he has been mind controlled or some bullshit to justify the straight up OOC.
Palpatine does have Bellatrix, it's not impossible that she's responsible for the mind control. Alternately Mundi has learned of Bellatrix imperiusing people and believes it's Harry.
Puzzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:38 AM   #323
cash0maker
Third Year

His brains also account for his, sometimes extreme, skepticism. His two brains caused him to be overly analytical, so that while one brain assessed a certain scenario, his other brain was accounting for a completely different one.

This could be the reason for his behavior but that's really streching it.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:49 AM   #324
RedSkys
Squib

Ki Adi definitely reads very OOC will be interesting to see the reasoning for it.

As stated before though its only the companion piece, solely meant to fill in the gaps of the main story. Its not meant to progress; just show from a different angle.

Well worth the read.
RedSkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:58 AM   #325
Kardikek
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
-

I refuse to lower my standards because of the nature of a written piece. I'm usually more forgiving, sure, but I don't change what I consider to be well written or not.

-

Just because we'd like this story to be better than it currently is doesn't mean that we're looking for Shakespear.
What's pretentious is so many making sweeping statements that the latest chapter is trash or unworthy of even 5 min of your attention to read.

You are reading a fic where by the nature of it's crossover leads to justifiable curbstomp. You are literally reading the Michael Bay equivalent of a fanfiction and you're whining about literary standards.

As someone else pointed out, this isn't part of the main story, it's actually okay to not progress the plot with every single scene if it fulfills a purpose and it does. We see what ripples Harry cause.

This fic does what it sets out to do. Harry unapologetically kicking ass, if that's not for you, who gives a shit. I usually hate people saying don't read if you don't like, in defence of actual terrible writing but holy shit the self importance of some people.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:22 AM   #326
Jon
Administrator

You're taking people not liking it a bit personally mate. Do you have a personal stake in this?

—Lungs, 2015
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 08-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #327
cash0maker
Third Year

I just got through reading the chapter again, and it did hint at Mundi thinking two things at ones, quite strongly even. If you go through the chapter with the knowledge that, he is thinking of Sinube being mind controlled it does explain his behavior somewhat.

Last edited by cash0maker; 08-24-2016 at 06:44 AM.
cash0maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #328
Snapdragon
DA Member

I don't really get the sudden negative vibrations about the story and the sidekick point of view. I'm actually glad he started again last year after a long delay and this isn't dead like so many others.

Whatever high standards some people have it's one of the few highlights remaining in the current sad state of HP fan fiction.
Snapdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #329
Jon
Administrator

I think we need to clear up a misunderstanding that the 'negativity' is in regards to the recent update of 'The Unsuspecting Force' and the sheer info dump that came out of the Jedi's ass. It's reminiscent of a lot of bad fan fiction and leaves a really bad taste in the mouth.

—Lungs, 2015
Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #330
Republic
Minister for Magic
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardikek View Post
snip
The only problem with what you're saying is ... well, all of it. Your argument is bullshit. No one is attacking the author, or the story's premise. Just this specific chapter of the side-story.

It reads like (and IS) one of those terrible indy!Harry fics where characters discuss how terrible Harry's life is/has been and how wronged he's been by everyone and everything and how they never knew.

If that wasn't bad enough, this chapter, under this premise, literally has the Jedi pull all of this extremely accurate info out of his ass, with the flimsiest of bases by which to make conclusions.

It's bad writing, plain and simple. We get to call it out.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
My life, for Aiur... ... For the Alliance
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Republic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #331
Republic
Minister for Magic
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This updated. Pretty great chapter, imo. Progress on several fronts.
Step 4) Bask.
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 11-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #332
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

I just finished the latest chapter it was good, but forward movement was minimal at best.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #333
Cirion E. G. Coewund
Squib

I entirely agree with the concerns about Ki Adi Mundi's portrayal. It definitely feels out of character. I suppose we'll see where that goes.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this story's Sidious will be a sufficient problem for the story to not ultimately be an exercise in power fantasy.

(From what I can tell, library topics are excluded from the 'necroposting' rule, but let me know if I misunderstood!)
Cirion E. G. Coewund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:35 PM   #334
DrSarcasm
Auror

Well, Unsuspecting updated.

A bit more stuff going on in the background. More 'reacting to what Harry can do', furthering the Mundi side-plot, revelation of the real background of one of the side-characters, Anakin stuff.

I'd been assuming that Anakin was pulling off his pranks with the Force which was irritating. One of the things that bugs me about Harry Potter-style pranking stories set into alternate universes is when they somehow adapt systems that aren't conductive to that sort of thing, so the fact that Anakin is pulling this off by being really clever is great. Too many stories (even official ones) focus too much on his prowess as a Jedi and forget that any kid that young who could do the sort of things he did with droids has got a brain in his head. I also liked seeing that Anakin's getting mixed feelings about the Jedi Order and how they go about their business. This was always the case canonically (which lead to his fall) but his being exposed to that kind of world this soon into his training and with a potential escape could lead to a great derailment of the original plot.
DrSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 03-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #335
Pirazy
Groundskeeper

It's interesting to see all this opposition piling up on the sidelines and I can't wait for it all to explode, hopefully that'll be the end of the onesided curbstomp and Harry will finally have to put in some effort. Even if Mundi is behaving ridiculously OOC it's nice to se there's atleast one sceptic on the council.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:21 AM   #336
Republic
Minister for Magic
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This was leagues better than the previous one. Nothing too over the top, we get to see Anakin's intelligent side, etc. Cool, if short. Hopefully we'll get a main update soon.
Step 4) Bask.
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Old 04-23-2017, 09:27 PM   #337
Guest000
Squib

Crossovers are one of my favorite types of fanfiction, if only for the plots to be spawned and the reactions to be had. This fic is one of the reasons why I enjoy it. Despite the OCC I feel from Harry, the plot and character interaction keep me sedated time after time. One can tell that the author is a fan of both franchises as they pull ideas from several different sources (mostly from star wars as it is much more expanded than harry potter). Overall a great story that has interesting conseptsand view on how the galaxy is working.

I haven't read the side story, should probably get on that, but aside from that this fic is a strong 4/5.
Guest000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #338
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Updated today!

And damn, that was a fun chapter. I was particularly fond of the last scene with Rostek, but we also got some HK, some Tobril, some Wookies, and a bit of jedi.

Nice chunk to read as well, coming in at around 12k. Got my blood pumping for another chapter.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #339
Republic
Minister for Magic
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Pretty cool chapter, at least after we got through the CK2-Star Wars intro at the start. Rest was pretty fun.

I dunno, Kenobi in this story cracks me up. He's pretty cool.
Step 4) Bask.
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Old 04-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #340
thejabber27
DA Member

I just read this for the first time yesterday and it updates today. HK's views on economics is the best part of this chapter. Solid work, glad too see the Author update.
thejabber27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author: tsu doh nimh, crossover, fantasy, hp/star wars, mystery, star wars