Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 10-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #21
Alexeyy
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via ICQ to Alexeyy Send a message via Yahoo to Alexeyy Send a message via Skype™ to Alexeyy
As I understand this HK-47 robot, and his backstory (that Revan character, etc.), come from a computer game. They are not in the movies (old Star Wars and new prequels by Lucas). Correct? Are there any books/movies/animation series aside from the computer game? The thing is, I don't follow computer games or comic books, but the extensive backstory intrigues me. I tried looking through starwars.wikia.com but couldn't make neither heads nor tails of it at all!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
Betosa
Third Year

I believe there are new books about Revan, search at amazon.
Betosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
TRH
Sixth Year

There's one book about Revan, but most Star Wars fans (and I do consider myself one to no small extent) agree that it sucks ass for plenty of reasons, not least being the fact that it ignores large swathes of relevant backstory, so that's not the best place to start learning about these things. Other than that, Revan did have a brief appearance in a Darth Bane book, but I don't think that would be much help either as far as understanding this story.

As for Alexeyy, I'd just go ahead and play Knights of the Old Republic if I were you. You don't need much background in computer games or the Star Wars Universe (beyond the movies) to understand things, and that is the best place to see exactly why HK-47 is so adored. It's a fairly easy game to wrap your head around, and it's one of the few things that pretty much the entire Star Wars fandom agrees is worth looking at.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 10-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #24
Republic
Minister for Magic
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,495
For that matter, you don't need a reason to play KOTOR. It's one of, if not the, best Star Wars games there are.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
My life, for Aiur... ... For the Alliance
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Republic is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
RustyRed
High Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic21 View Post
For that matter, you don't need a reason to play KOTOR. It's one of, if not the, best games there are.
Fixed that for ya

Ectomancer: FFNET WBA <--(Linked to beginning of revised version)

The Honey Badger's Credo - New Sketchbook at Conceptart.org

RustyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
samkar
Temporarily Banhammered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic21 View Post
For that matter, you don't need a reason to play KOTOR. It's one of, if not the, best Star Wars games there are.
I also enjoyed Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 back then. Huge game and great controls on the xbox1.
samkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #27
Republic
Minister for Magic
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,495
Holy trinity of Star Wars games for me are KOTOR, Republic Commando and Battlefront 2.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
My life, for Aiur... ... For the Alliance
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Republic is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 10-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
TRH
Sixth Year

I wouldn't disregard KOTOR's sequel, either, especially with the Restored Content Mod. My biggest issue with the original was that the protagonist's dialogue choices all too often made him come across like a ten-year-old. TSL is much better in that regard - the Exile can be snarky, cunning or even genuinely wise and thought-provoking by turns. The writing in general is greatly improved, as well; every step of the Exile's journey has a purpose, and serves as an important part of her growth as a character. There's lots of foils and symbolism that makes KOTOR II feel more like an entity unto itself than the original which, as fun as it was, was simply a classical space opera that we've seen in the movies.

I could write a ten-page essay on how awesome a game TSL is, but suffice to say it's egregiously underrated and just as worthy a purchase as its predecessor, if not more so.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #29
Mutton
High Inquisitor

KotOR2, Battlefront 2, and Rogue Squadron are my big 3. Let's face it, any game where I get to fly around in an alphabet-Wing is at least a decent game
Mutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #30
mknote
Disappeared
1/3 of the Note Bros.

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Oh lord, Star Wars games have been with me forever. My very first computer game was Star Wars: Rebellion, and I still play it fourteen years after getting it. The whole Dark Forces series, Rogue Squadron, even The Force Unleashed, despite its flaws. And then of course there's TIE Fighter, which is still my favorite game of all time.

OT: I like the story, though not as much as the other one recently recommended on DLP. I dunno why; perhaps it's because the story hasn't developed nearly as far, or maybe I just can't get into this story's Harry. Still, it's a solid 4/5, with a definite chance of improving.
mknote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #31
Silens Cursor
Dark Lord
The Silencer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
My order is TIE Fighter, Star Wars: Rebellion, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, X-Wing Alliance, then a tie between Episode I: Racer (best thing to come out of the prequel trilogy) and the original Dark Forces. Nothing before 2000, which I guess says something about me.

As for the story? Eh, it's okay. I've never liked KOTOR as a game or as a setting all that much, namely because I grew up on the old Dark Horse comics EU regarding the Sith Wars, and KOTOR doesn't coincide well with those stories. Like, at all. Still, it's entertaining enough.
Silens Cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #32
13thadaption
Slug Club Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This thread made me go buy I copy a KOTOR on steam for $10. I've played it before, but it was a borrowed copy and I didn't get to finish.

13thadaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #33
KingRoger
First Year

A great characterization of HK-47, and a sturdy enough knowledge of both worlds to be able to fuck around with them believably. 4/5
KingRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #34
bob99
Professor

I really enjoyed the update, I thought the fight was well done. I'm starting to get into this fic. 4/5 for right now.
bob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #35
Betosa
Third Year

Best chapter so far, I hope he will keep it up, it can't be easy to write this.
Betosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #36
Jarik
Chief Warlock

Send a message via MSN to Jarik
Wow, really loved what I saw so far.

Harry's character seems to be becoming more common these days in crossovers. Rather than a young Harry going to another universe, learning cool shit there, then coming home and using that to defeat Voldemort (which used to be all the rage in the day), the new format seems to be a badass Harry coming to the new universe and destroying lots of things.

I actually really like the language barrier - first time I've seen it done well in a fic. I can imagine how it might have gone otherwise - he meets the Jedi, casts "translator spell", they chat and decide to help each other. Or whatever. It's kinda awesome that you really have no idea how other people are responding to Harry, what they think he is or any of that - we just see small snippets here and there. And that because he has a crazy droid being his translator, any chance of fostering understanding is gone.

The fight with Maul was one of the best fights I've read for a while. Quite often I find myself skimming it, missing out on a lot of 'individual movements' or losing picture of what is actually happening. This was interesting, and simple enough to follow to keep that scene well visualized in my head.

That being said, where we go from here will be where the fic can fall. We've got a really good start, a fun narrative and fun characters but no real plot yet. 4/5 so far, but can easily go up.
Jarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #37
Alexeyy
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via ICQ to Alexeyy Send a message via Yahoo to Alexeyy Send a message via Skype™ to Alexeyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarik View Post
Harry's character seems to be becoming more common these days in crossovers. Rather than a young Harry going to another universe, learning cool shit there, then coming home and using that to defeat Voldemort (which used to be all the rage in the day), the new format seems to be a badass Harry coming to the new universe and destroying lots of things.
Hear, hear!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #38
SmileOfTheKill
Headmaster
Magical Amber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarik View Post
How is this anything but a guilty pleasure? I am getting so confused watching the reviews from DLP for this story, everyone seems to be loving it and thinking how cool everything is. How is this interesting?

This intellectually is slightly above the Super!Harry stories that everyone hates due to how stupid they are. If Harry did not have one language barrier blocking the way, he would just flat out stomp everything. Hell, he already killed Dark Maul. The only real difference between those stories and this one is that it is better written.
"All they do is expound their store of knowledge. They excite themselves with their ranting; their disapproval swells them with a feeling of importance and sick victory, they thrive on spoiling the pleasure and trashing the creativity of others."
The Minister shares her opinion of critics. ~ Kino's Journey
SmileOfTheKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #39
Heather_Sinclair
Headmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileOfTheKill View Post
How is this anything but a guilty pleasure? I am getting so confused watching the reviews from DLP for this story, everyone seems to be loving it and thinking how cool everything is. How is this interesting?

This intellectually is slightly above the Super!Harry stories that everyone hates due to how stupid they are. If Harry did not have one language barrier blocking the way, he would just flat out stomp everything. Hell, he already killed Dark Maul. The only real difference between those stories and this one is that it is better written.
This is why I'm waiting for the actual plot to show itself before I rate it. I generally like what I see, but nothing has really happened so far.

I like it enough to read as it's one of two SW/HP fics that don't suck from the first chapter, and the other is likely abandoned.

While Darth Maul might be a badass Sith, magic is a little more versatile than the Force.

Apparating them outside the apartment was a surefire way to control the situation. I don't thing it would have worked on a Master, or I should say certain Masters as they could have slowed their fall or some such Force trick.

~Warlocke

Last edited by Heather_Sinclair; 10-26-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Heather_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #40
bombdiggity92
Temporarily Banhammered

I don't like star wars but I do like this fic. That being said the conflict is great Harry's not OP which greatly increases the intensity of the fight scenes. Harry versus Darth Maul was a great fight scene, very descriptive and it showed Harry's weaknesses in a very believable way. He got his ass kicked and only won because they took a nice freefall at terminal velocity. I could go on, but I dont want this to seem longwinded. 4/5
bombdiggity92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author: tsu doh nimh, crossover, fantasy, hp/star wars, mystery, star wars