Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #21
deathinapinkboa
Minister for Magic

The world building is a good when Harry is with the Goblins, though CheddarTrek is right about the author making it easy on herself. That seriously detracts from the story.

The Goblins are present as a basically flawless culture, and I don't like that. If they were so perfect, they'd have taken the wizards by now.

The reason this isn't a 4/5 is Hogwarts. Harry gets on that train, and the story gets boring.

The exposition is relentless and does nothing for plot progression--in fact, I suspect that the writer neither knows nor cares where her story is going. That is beyond tedious.

By the time I was done, I could bring myself to subscribe to update alerts.

3/5
Waht may seem lkie a cuasal drisgerad for sepllnig and gammrar is atcalluy my dyxsleia shniing thougrh.
deathinapinkboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #22
Stormey
Groundskeeper

I tried and tried.
I just couldn't get into it.

All that boring goblin stuff made me skip the chapters.
Dumbledore is written in a way that makes me feel like I`m supposed to be glad that its not an evil manipulative Dumbledore? He is dumbed down way too much.

I thought it would be better when we get to Hogwarts, so I skipped a bit, and went to later chapters. Unfortunately they were just as boring.

And all that crap about Wizards being so illogical compared to Goblins was irritating as well.

2/5 from me.
Stormey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #23
IBG
Seventh Year

8 chapters in and I am so sick of reading about Harry crafting jewelry and working with metal. Basically 2 chapters worth of actual plot advancement so far, 2/5 for decent grammar etc, but this doesn't belong in the library.
IBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #24
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

I did enjoy this story. It was interesting in the way a documentary on another culture would be.

That being said, the moment he hit Hogwarts I got bored. There's no plot advancement so far other than a few pureblood overtures. Harry just seems annoyed and bored by everyone in his immediate circles; Hermione is shrieky so I can see why.

I wanted to like it so much, but I'm just having a really hard time staying engaged. 151,941 words later and Bellatrix + Sirius have more or less been forgotten in lieu of masturbatory sessions on magical theory and goblin magic exposés.

I'll give it a 4, it did keep me entertained and the writing is pretty decent.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #25
Charlesnaismith
First Year

4/5

I like this one lots if it continues and gets beyond 2nd year, I would up my rating to 4.5/5
Charlesnaismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #26
mort
Groundskeeper

An actually good fiction. At first I was adverse to reading it because of (as people mentioned before) Harry Crow which I really didn't like. However on reading this I realize that yes, it is much, much better.
The writing style is quite nice actually and has managed to explain the Goblin culture as it has, without being too tedious.
So far so good~ 4/5
Old 11-17-2016, 03:16 AM   #27
Rising galium knight
Squib

It's a pretty good story though I was hesitant to read it when I read the summary and it's likeness to Harry Crow. Iss completely different. The Goblin world that the author developer is almost as intricate as the world formed in the story Prince of the dark kingdom. I liked Harry as improvised by the character though I can't say I liked Ron.
Rising galium knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #28
Sigurd
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising galium knight View Post
It's a pretty good story though I was hesitant to read it when I read the summary and it's likeness to Harry Crow. Iss completely different. The Goblin world that the author developer is almost as intricate as the world formed in the story Prince of the dark kingdom. I liked Harry as improvised by the character though I can't say I liked Ron.
Last post: 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM

We should add necromancy to this story's tags.
Sigurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #29
yak

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
Last post: 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM

We should add necromancy to this story's tags.
There is no necromancy rule in the Library. Reviews are desirable no matter how old the story is.

Posting in old Library threads is not only okay; it is encouraged.
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:49 AM   #30
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Oz
And to add to that, some of you shitheads need to learn the difference between a shitpost and a review.

Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up

Tags
alternate, author:nothingpretentious, goblins, gringotts