Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
Averis
Fourth Year
Don of Delivery

High Score: 3,065
Hogwarts Battle School by Kwan Li

Title: Hogwarts Battle School
Author: Kwan Li
Rating: M
Genre: Adventure/Romance
Chapters: 28
Words: 181,285
Updated: August 7, 2013
Published: July 31, 2012

Library Category: Alternates
Pairings: None with bits of Harry/Hermione, Harry/Tracey
Summary: AU. Voldemort kills Dumbledore but is defeated by a child. In the aftermath, Snape becomes the Headmaster and radically changes Hogwarts. Harry Potter of House Slytherin begins his Third Year at Hogwarts Battle School and realizes that friend and foe are too similar for his liking. Competing with allies and enemies, Harry finds there is a cost to winning.
Link: Hogwarts Battle School

154,912 words in 24 chapters, with a sequel coming hopefully sooner rather than later.

I searched the library and the forums to find this story, and while it's been mentioned many times, and some of Kwan Li's other work has been accepted, this particular fic doesn't seem to have been put up For Review. If I'm mistaken, someone feel free to let me know.

As for the story, this is literally the best complete fic I've read in 2013. Essentially, Dumbledore died at Voldemort's hands, baby Harry killed Voldemort, and Snape took over as Hogwarts Headmaster. The story takes place in Harry's third year. He has been placed in Slytherin.

There are a lot of changes from the typical Hogwarts-based story -- namely, Snape redesigns the school and pits each house against the other in battle situations. I'll let you fill in the blanks there, as it would be giving far too much away to explain that portion of the story.

My favorite things about the fic: Hermione's closed off character, Snape's demented way of preparing Harry and Harry's absolute brilliance.

Hands down 5/5.

Checked by Minion, August 21, 2013

Last edited by Dark Minion; 08-21-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Averis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Perspicacity
Professor
High Score: 3,994

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,994
Kwan Li makes good words and this is my favorite story that's still updating. Though I despise Card's Ender's Game, I enjoyed this fusion and massive AU. One of the things I'm looking forward to after this summer is this story taking off once again.

A few things that make this story for me: Harry's on his way to kickass status, but in a slow-to-develop way with plenty of stumbles along the path. This makes his moments of awesome that much sweeter. The tension between him and Draco (as well as with the other Slytherins) is a nice touch. Hermione is a complex character--Kwan Li always manages a good Hermione--as is Tracey, and you just want to read more.

While the whole

Hermione's superpower is statistics

thing at the start was lame (spoilered because it was an oversold mystery in the story), that's the only real blemish I see with this piece.

5/5, belongs in Library and C2.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
gbbz
Professor

It has very little in common with Ender's Game, only the idea of a battle school is shared. Harry is not Ender, not by a long shot, and Hermione is not unlike any character in the OSC's books.

The only one who is similar to his OSC's origins is Snape, which means he is ruthless and totally devoted to vanquishing Voldemort, no matter the cost.

Still it is a good read, which I have been following from the start. There are a few cringe worthy moments

Harry should have killed Justin in my opinion, not doing so made the whole story fall flat and pointless, why build tension if it doesn't explode but deflates?

but overall it's fine.

4/5
"The rock was... this really really magically powerful rock... really rare and powerful and valuable because it... jumped out of my pocket all on its own and started hitting him." He nodded firmly, cementing the validity of his story via personal conviction rather than logic or evidence. - "On a Train, Switching Tracks" by Mede
gbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
theronin
Order Member

I enjoyed this. Anyone else feel like there were hints of time travel by one of the puppet master characters in a couple places?
theronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Rache
Headmaster

Just read the entire story and loved every moment of it. While the power statistics by Hermione made me cringe, it can be ignored in favor of the impressive magic and a prodigy!Harry that doesn't involve him married to the library.

This deserves a definite 4/5 rating and a badass!symbol.

One thing I still didn't get is who the second person Snape always speaks to. Enlighten me if you got it.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Clerith
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I want to read this, but the premise seems ridiculous. Snape was what, a few years out of Hogwarts when Voldemort fell? Yet he managed to become a Headmaster and the ancient schooling system is radically changed, just like that? I really have to suspend my disbelief just to get over the summary.

Well, I'll read it anyways, since it's in for review. Will edit the actual review later.

Edit: So far, I'm not impressed. In fact, I have an acute feeling of dislike, mostly due to personal reasons. Militarization of magic. Prevalent Dursley abuse. Super!Granger. Harry loses his first duel. Harry is some stupid experiment for someone mysterious. Harry gets beaten up in the hallway.

It's frustrating enough to make me want to take a break. All stuff I don't want to see in a fic. On the other hand, it is well written, and I suppose all these early problems and general pressure makes for a realistic situation, but one I personally don't care much for.

I'll continue reading, due to the praise here, but if it wasn't DLP, I'd probably have dropped it already.

Last edited by Clerith; 05-22-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Clerith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
gbbz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rache View Post
One thing I still didn't get is who the second person Snape always speaks to. Enlighten me if you got it.
Dumbledore, most likely out of a portrait. Practically am certain of it. He seems the more humane of the two.
"The rock was... this really really magically powerful rock... really rare and powerful and valuable because it... jumped out of my pocket all on its own and started hitting him." He nodded firmly, cementing the validity of his story via personal conviction rather than logic or evidence. - "On a Train, Switching Tracks" by Mede
gbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Averis
Fourth Year
Don of Delivery

High Score: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbz View Post
Dumbledore, most likely out of a portrait. Practically am certain of it. He seems the more humane of the two.
Either it's just as you said, or it's Lupin, and we're meant to think it is Dumbledore. However, I do lean toward your idea, as it is quite a bit more plausible considering the nature of their discussions.

Clerith: The premise has very little bearing on how the story proceeds. None of it seems sloppily put together, and while it might be a stretch to think Snape changed everything, it is at least loosely explained how he got the position and there has been enough time that passed since Dumbledore's death that it doesn't seem thrown together. The evolution of the plot is good enough that little things that stick out don't bother you so much once you've read a few chapters.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Doctor Whooves
High Inquisitor

This hasn't been put up for review? Anyway, I'm greatly enjoying this story. One of the few fics I follow still currently updating. And at a good speed, too, a fair chapter length every week or so. If I remember correctly, Harry's just finished third year, and I'm looking forward to what sounds like is going to be a fantastic fourth year.

I find Harry's intelligence believable, and he has to put in work to achieve difficult things. The other characters behave like real, independent people with their own agendas, which is nice and refreshing. Harry isn't curb-stomping his way around Hogwarts; he would be happily squashed by any self respecting sixth or seventh year.

I'm waiting for the next chapter, although the author is apparently having a brief (couple of month) hiatus, and I hope it gets accepted into the library. 4.5/5, rounding up.

This. Is a PUBLIC. SERVICE. Announcement.
WITH GUITARS
-The Clash
Doctor Whooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Rubicon
Professor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'd give this a 3.5/5. First ten chapters are closer to a 4/5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
While the whole

Hermione's superpower is statistics

thing at the start was lame (spoilered because it was an oversold mystery in the story), that's the only real blemish I see with this piece.
I agree, but

I think her use of actual encryption was a nice way of turning the "secret code" cliche on its head. "Data Encryption Standard" is three words I never expected to read in a Harry Potter fanfic, but it actually makes sense coming from Hermione.
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Taure
Unspeakable
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
My biggest problem with the start of the fic is the presentation of dueling. It's very much in the uninspired post-OotP indy!Harry "as many spells as possible, as powerful as possible", spellchains, dodging and "a wand is basically like a gun" school of dueling.

Not sure if I can get over my dislike of that to enjoy the fic - especially as fighting with magic is the focus of the story.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
CrackedMind
Order Member

Honestly, the only thing I truly dislike about this story is it's name. Hogwarts Battle school? seriously?
It sounds so ridiculous I nearly didn't start the story.

But other than that, I had little to no qualms with the story, and I give it a solid 5/5
Freedom is a word long forgotten, an idea with no following in the world. Deep within the wilds of an undignified wasteland is a boy who dreamed of something bigger. A boy who dreamed of Revolution. AU
Acton's Heir
http://forums.darklordpotter.net/sho...118#post609118
CrackedMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
trollolol
Third Year

I quite like this fic but never thought about putting it up here, just doesn't seem quite right for DLP - I'm surprised its got such a positive reaction. I enjoy most of Kwan Li's stuff but mostly its a guilty pleasure. 4/5.
trollolol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
Nazgus
Auror

I've been following this one for a while, and could have sworn it was already here, but oh well. Really good, and while I do think the way a certain plot line (that I won't mention since I can't remember how to set spoiler tags) was resolved was a bit unexpected, I liked it since it threw Harry even further away from Ender. Only noticed one thing, the story isn't complete, Third Year is complete, but he said he will continue to post Fourth Year under the same name, and it's not marked as complete on FF.net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King

Last edited by Nazgus; 05-22-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Noticed something I wrote was a fairly large hint for a spoiler for anyone with knowledge of Ender's Game.
Nazgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
Churchey
Chief Warlock

It's pretty enjoyable. I've never read Ender's game and that hasn't hindered anything.
It takes a lot of common fanon ideas and makes them viable. Abusive Dursley's with a manipulative headmaster have never worked so well.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
R. Daneel Olivaw
Groundskeeper

This is a lot less cerebral than Card's Ender, but a nicely done blend. The restructuring of the year allowed for quite the departure from canon, but I think the changes were not exploited as deeply as it could have been.

Still, a very enjoyable fic all the way through.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
Riley
Alchemist

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbz View Post
I've been imagining it's Trow simply because he can act on the physical world (at least I think that the second person can) It's not Lupin though as in Chapter 14 he mentions bringing the werewolf up to see Snape.
My new attempt at fanfiction. After battling the entity known as Voldemort through the various Precincts of Death for over 80 years, there is a way out. HP/Abhorsen crossover. HP/HG main characters. Find out the rest inside. Reviews/ratings welcome and desired. DLP| FFN

Ongoing One Shot. The Keeper of the Alleyway. DLP
Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 05-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
Scott
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E. Delivery View Post
As for the story, this is literally the best complete fic I've read in 2013.
Hands down 5/5.
I read it the first time the yesterday (first time I heard of it too). I completely agree and it get's a 5/5 from me also. The plot summary scared me a bit but I said what the hell and am really glad I did. Awesome.

Scott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
TripticWriter
Groundskeeper

Guilty pleasure at best. Shitty premise and the writing is boring. It's a nice idea that is trying too hard to be cool. And all the abuse and taunting Harry gets is really badly done.

A perfect example of an author trying to transform Harry Potter in a young adult novel and failing, I really don't understand the enthusiasm.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
Oliver Kingston
Slug Club Member
Fake Flamingo

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 1801
I think Trow-who-is-Sirius...

Staff of the Month:Xiph0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy defending his Harry/Lily Luna fic
21:32 <anarchy> she's legal though
I'm looking to trade any of these games for stuff from my Wishlist, PM me if interested!
Oliver Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author: kwan li