Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Humor
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 02-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
Andrela
Mistress of Death
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
"Harry Potter as written by" by Technomad - K

Title: Harry Potter as written by
Author: Technomad
Rating: K
Genre: Parody
Words: 15,129
Published: Feb 16, 2007
Pairing(s): N/A
DLP Category: Humor / Almost Recommended
Summary: Harry Potter as written by various authors...George Orwell, Anthony Burgess, Sir John Mortimer and others.

To be short and to the point: Each chapter shows a version of the Harry Potter universe if it was written by an author different than J.K. Rowling.

The first chapter is George Orwell and as you might suspect it is inspired by 1984. I won't say more not to spoil it, but I grinned the whole chapter.

Normally I'd put this in the Almost Recommended section, but as I happen to agree with the new rules of the library, I am putting this here to be judged by the community.

My rating: 4/5

Edit by Minion, August 3, 2015:
Based on the positive reviews this story stays in the library despite its three stars.

Last edited by Dark Minion; 08-03-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Andrela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:36 AM   #2
pbluekan
Sixth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I nearly died when I read the Anthony Burgess chapter.

"Welly-welly-welly-well, if it isn't ferret-faced ferret-boy Draco Malfoy, the yarbleless wonder, and his droogs!" I called out. "Come thou, and get a good one in the yarbles--if you have any yarbles, you soprano-voiced yellow-haired yellow-belly, thou!"

Technomad does a decent job of sticking to the different styles; however, most of the chapters were really just harry potter crossovers with each author's major work and written in their style, rather than Harry Potter written in their style.

Otherwise, the writing is technically correct and each story is rather entertaining, if generally short.

I'll give it a 4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareOtters View Post
“I have to lick my balls that night,” said Sirius nervously.
pbluekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
Download
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'm a little late to the party.

Whether I liked a chapter rally depended on if I had read the original story. Knowing that though, I won't rate it down because of references I didn't get.

The first chapter is probably the best by far though.

3.5 rounded up to 4/5 from me.
Download is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Perspicacity
High Inquisitor
High Score: 3,994

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,994
Several excellent chapters with plenty of in-jokes for the literati (e.g., the Gibson chapter, which opens with a paraphrase of the opening line of Neuromancer). A fun read, even if a few chapters do come off as a bit weak.

Competent execution for a stunt fic. Comparing it with some of the other humor fics that made it into the Library, I wouldn't mind seeing it end up there.

4/5
Old 03-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Rhaegar I
Unspeakable

A decent idea. I didn't get a lot of the inside jokes, but it was pretty good most of the time.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Shinysavage
Order Member
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
I really enjoyed this. He's got a great grasp of the different styles (the ones I'm familiar with, anyway), it's well written, clever...it isn't always funny, precisely - more knowing recognition at the aping of some classics than good jokes in and of themselves, and it'll work better depending on how familiar you are with the references, but all in all a clear 4/5.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Duryodhana
Scrub

I'd say about 3 or maybe 4/5
The writing is good and the author manages to capture most of the respective authors' writing style.
However as pblukean said the stories do feel like crossovers and actual stories by the authors themselves.
I'd recommend this to people who want to maybe sample a piece of their favorite author's work in a new story as well as to who may want to find new authors to read.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:41 PM   #8
ThinkingHurts
Squib

I didn't really enjoy it so much, but the writing was competent and the author, like everyone else said, captured the styles of each other author well enough. I would give it a 3/5, which seems to be the consensus.
ThinkingHurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #9
Andrela
Mistress of Death
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
The story has been updated with a new chapter, this time written in the style of Mel Brooks.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #10
Shinysavage
Order Member
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Heh. I did laugh a lot at the first scene, but more because I could perfectly see that big of 'Young Frankenstein' in my head than because of Technomad's riff on it. Still, laugh I did, which is the main thing.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #11
sephirothrr
Squib

I found a lot of the chapters to be too heavily in the style of the source material, if that makes sense. While this is probably just a side effect of trying to condense and filter author's entire oeuvre into a single chapter of a work, it occasionally comes off a bit strong - the direct quote from 1984 right at the beginning, for instance.

That said, for the solid writing and the smug enjoyment I got out of recognizing the references, I give it a solid 4/5.
sephirothrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author: technomad, humor, parody