Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Humor
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 03-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Dark Minion
Bright Minion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Harry Potter and the Elves Most Fabulous by Steelbadger - M - HP/LotR

Title: Harry Potter and the Elves Most Fabulous
Author: Steelbadger
Rating: M
Genre: Parody/Humor
DLP-Category: Humor
Chapters: 7
Words: 13,452
Updated: Mar 21, 2015
Published: Mar 17, 2015
Summary:
Elfling!Harry has been done so very many times before, but I just had to weigh in. I petitioned the powers that be for a Harry to Elfling-ify and they gave me a jaded and cynical Master Auror who was rather unhappy with the entire situation. This fic documents his travels through the world of The Lord of the Rings. Probably. Starts during The Hobbit.

Link ff.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1112013...-Most-Fabulous
DLP-WbA: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/sh...ad.php?t=28139

I know quite a few people are already following the story in WbA, but a few days ago Steelbadger put it up on ff.net. While it isnít that long yet its first Ďarcí seems to be complete, and thus I think it's ready for the review board.

It's humor and crack, and at that better than most. It doesn't feel even nearly as forced as his serious story "The Power He Knows Not" and draws its charm not from the merging but from the mental clash of both worlds, or rather: The mental clash of the Tolkienverse with battle-hardened Auror and now Elfling!Harry.

It's probably not going anywhere. In the a/n of ff.netís first chapter Steelbadger noted:
Quote:
This fic has a singular purpose, catharsis. Chapters are shorter (I can do one of these chapters in a couple of hours if I want to chill out) and will be a bit random in timing. It shouldn't eat into the posting schedule of my other fics.
Thus I don't expect a continuous plot or a goal to be reached. In fact I hope he continues without too much planning ahead or a complex concept, as that might ruin the story.

4/5

Looking for a fandom?

Last edited by Dark Minion; 03-31-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Dark Minion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
Radmar
Disappeared

It's light read, something that I would read before exams to calm me down. It has everything I would expect good humor story to have. 5/5.
Radmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
This story is a lot of fun; if you're looking for a serious read, this isn't it in the slightest, and perhaps some of the situations could have been made more interesting by Harry not being so OP - but Harry being so OP is exactly what makes the story so relaxingly good fun.

5/5, if you're looking for something to make you chuckle and enjoy Harry trolling the shit out of the LOTR universe.

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Invictus
The Chosen One

If you just want something extremely fun and very funny to read, itís perfect. I was waiting for the next chapter to put this here myself. I love it, 5/5.
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Republic
Minister for Magic
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,495
3/5

Some interesting ideas, but execution leaves a lot to be desired. Still, I'd like to see it in the Library. I enjoyed reading it.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
My life, for Aiur... ... For the Alliance
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
theronin
Order Member

Someone in the WBA section described it best: "Deep fried crack wrapped in bacon."

Can't really say it better than that. 5/5
theronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Newcomb
Death Eater

Pretty funny, a great light read. Good concept. Humor is more of a "crack a grin, chuckle occasionally" type than a "laugh out loud" type, but there's nothing wrong with that.

A soft 4/5.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:39 AM   #8
Telrath
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
3/5

Some interesting ideas, but execution leaves a lot to be desired. Still, I'd like to see it in the Library. I enjoyed reading it.
The rating is totally because of the

'Tauriel sitting on the armrest of the throne'
scene not getting included, isn't it?

Anyways, 4/5. Enjoyed it quite a bit, but it's far from perfect.

Edit:Grammar.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
Fardeki
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Minion View Post
It doesn't feel even nearly as forced as his serious story "The Power He Knows Not"...
A lot this. Feels a lot more natural and less forced.

Hard to compare because of differing styles, but I definitely enjoyed this way more then The Power He Knows Not.

Lighthearted, funny and doesn't take itself too serious. An enjoyable fic that I think at least deserves the library.

Toss up between a 4 and a 5. Definitely one of the better LOTR fics around, but don't know if it's that exceptional to deserve a 5, but doesn't feel that weak to only be a 4. So I'll go with a 5 for now, but as with all potential crack fics, the longer they go on the bigger the risk of that rating going down. Shit gets old.
Fardeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
Drunken dark lord
First Year

a nice decounstruction of the usual, godawful elfling!harry.

5/5
Drunken dark lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
TmDagger
First Year

A good story that's not taking itself to seriously and wins for it.
5/5

edit. And yeah, very nice 'Take That!" to all the Elfling!Garbage on FF.net.
TmDagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #12
esran
Professor

This is the best Harry Potter / Lord of the Rings crossover I've ever read, and likely simply overall the best ever written. Granted that isn't saying much, but still, 5/5
esran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:39 AM   #13
Nauro
Headmaster

Send a message via Skype™ to Nauro
Are we reading the same story?

It is a parody of all others, yes, but at the same time, it dives headfirst into the same problems, and making fun of those, while being covered in the very same is up for debate.

Quote:
He held his hand to his chest and said, "Blondie's a moron." It didn't have to be a real name.

Mr. L'Oreal nodded and said, "Blondie's a moron."
Are these lines even funny for anyone?

Mr. L'Oreal? Really?

He calls elves "Dracos".

The humour is short impact, built upon Harry not caring, and being that one snarky guy protagonist from a hundred thousand indy!Harry stories.

There are places that brought a smile to my face, but overall it was painful to sludge through all the nonsense just to see him defeat Smaug in a fun way.

In conclusion, most jokes are cheap and silly or over the top rather than interesting, the plot is barely holding tied to the storyline of the hobbit, and the story lacks - for the lack of a better term - substance.

Take any good parody or comedy fic and you'll notice that it just isn't stupid joke after stupid joke - rather, the stories builds to them through interaction, worldbuilding, and placing interesting situations to be solved in unexpected ways. And you're at least interested in the protagonist.

A strong 2/5.

EDIT: Most of Taure's rant on the other story of this author still applies here, in my opinion. Especially this bit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure on another story
I'm somewhat surprised that DLP, generally known for its strict standards and harsh criticism, has let this pass, but I suppose it's a symptom of our desperation for anything decent in the LotR fandom. Still, the level of fanboyish fellatio going on in this thread and the WBA thread is somewhat shameful.
/VVVV\

Last edited by Nauro; 03-24-2015 at 06:16 AM.
Nauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 03-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #14
Radmar
Disappeared

Quote:
Are these lines even funny for anyone?
Just because you don’t find it funny, doesn’t mean it isn’t. People have different tastes.

With that in mind, this
Quote:
Still, the level of fanboyish fellatio going on in this thread and the WBA thread is somewhat shameful.
quote is wrong in this context. You can say that about that other story, because it is meant to be serious. This story is humor.

edit: You don't like it. That's perfectly fine. I don't argue with that. Just saying that I genuinely like this kind of humor.

Last edited by Radmar; 03-24-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Radmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
esran
Professor

I did admit I only gave it a 5/5 because I consider it the best Harry Potter / Lord of the Rings crossover written. A story with this quality that was pure Harry Potter would probably only get a 4/5 from me. I think thats fair, we often rate things up for being more original, and the fact that it is more original certainly makes it more interesting and funny.

But also this story really was funny. It was laugh at loud funny at parts. The plot is pure nonsense, but leads to humorous situations. As far as humor stories go this one is really good.

Maybe if their were more HP/LOTR crosses I could stand to read, or more laugh at loud humor stories, this would only get a 4/5 or a 3/5. But I'm giving this a 5/5.
esran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #16
Stan
Order Member

Eh. It was Okay. Not really Laugh Out Loud funny like Why is it Orange? or The Wendell that Wasn't. But it was an enjoyable read, and had a certain charm to it that many humor fics lack.

3/5 from me.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #17
Hachi
Death Eater

Enjoyable, mostly because of the deconstruction of that annoying Elfling!Harry trope, and some passages brought a smile to my face (or a laugh).

Nothing exceptional, however.

3/5.
Hachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #18
Basileus777
Squib

The attempts at humor in this make me cringe. Genuinely funny fanfiction is incredibly hard to find, but this falls so far short that it is difficult to even read.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #19
CrackedMind
Order Member

It doesn't really get genuinely funny until the last couple of chapters/updates (Been reading it in WbA, so I'm not sure how it's structured on FFN), when Harry starts travelling to kill Smaug. Even I, as someone who's not particularly knowledgeable of LoTR beyond watching the movies and the first Hobbit, found it to be fairly funny.

A 3.5/5 rounded up to a 4.
Freedom is a word long forgotten, an idea with no following in the world. Deep within the wilds of an undignified wasteland is a boy who dreamed of something bigger. A boy who dreamed of Revolution. AU
Acton's Heir
http://forums.darklordpotter.net/sho...118#post609118
CrackedMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #20
Poly
First Year

E-e-e-e-excellent. 5/5
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author: steelbadger, crossover, humor, lord of the rings, parody, tolkienverse