Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Politics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Banta
The Chosen One

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Murica USA Elections 2016

Shocking absolutely no one, Hillary Clinton is running for president.

Currently, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are the only big name guys who have announced they are running for the Republican nomination (according to the bastion of the world's knowledge, Wikipedia). There's a few other minor folks who have thrown their hat in, but the chances of them having a serious impact on the primaries or general election is pretty slim.

Last edited by Palindrome; 10-14-2015 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Pasta Sentient
Disappeared

Disclaimer: I'm only going to offer information/opinion in this thread. This one has the potential to raise my blood pressure if I offer debates.

Hillary Clinton is obviously running, but I'm curious as to the other Democrat candidates who might attempt to make a run for it. Hillary was thought to be a sure win for the Democrats until Obama came out of left field.

On the Republican side, I'm finding myself liking Ted Cruz the most. If you actually look at his policies they are well reasoned and thought out. It's not the irrational "Sarah Palin" Stereotype that the media is going to try and plaster him with. He has about the same experience as Obama did coming into the Race; Personally I think less time in congress is actually a boon in this coming election. The general populace has a growing discontentment with our government.

Ted Cruz epitomizes the hardcore Conservative ideals which could either be an amazing thing for him or a terrible thing. In terms of funds, he's already raised over 30 million in the last week.

On other Republican Candidates, you have Jeb Bush, Christie, and Lindsey Graham on the more established side.. Personally...I'd rather have Hillary than any of them. At least I know Hillary would attempt to focus on the economy. I feel the established Republicans would push the same tired war rhetoric. Don't get me wrong, Cruz is more prone to war than Hilllary; but I think he recognizes the balance and the state better than the established Republicans.

As for Rand Paul, something about him just irritates me. Not sure what.

Ben Carson is brilliant, but I worry about his Charisma. If Marco Rubio runs, I doubt he will win. He could carry the hispanic vote, but in his case I feel he needs to be a bit more experienced before running. He would make a great Vice President Choice.

That would be interesting. A Cruz/Rubio ticket. Both of hispanic descent versus the woman candidate.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Red Aviary
Professor
Hogdorinclawpuff

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 2,757
I kind of like Rand Paul, but at this point I'm just thinking "anyone but Hillary Clinton."
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
Samuel Black
Minister for Magic

Holy shit, I haven't laughed that hard at a post, ever. Thanks, pasta. I totally get why you don't want to debate any of that.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
Pasta Sentient
Disappeared

Using Wikipedia (Trust at your own discretion) here are the political views of some of the biggest players:

Democrats:

Hillary Clinton

Republicans:

Ted Cruz

Rand Paul
-Libertarian

Marco Rubio

Ben Carson

Jeb Bush

These are the ones I consider big names and most likely to get attention. If I had time I'd give a more in depth list, but this will do for now.

Edit: @Samuel Black

This is my attitude going into this election season.

Last edited by Pasta Sentient; 04-12-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Mordecai
Groundskeeper
Drunken Scotsman

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,485
I hadn't heard of Ben Carson before. Just looked at his positions. The dude is a fucking idiot. Not much more of an idiot than the majority of the Republican party, but really, how can you claim to be a scientist and say that you don't believe in evolution? And Pasta, I'm glad you think that the guy to whom 'homosexuality = paedophilia = bestiality' is brilliant. Nice to know where you stand on these things.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
Samuel Black
Minister for Magic

Legitimately wasn't trying to make you mad. Just observing how the only opinion there that was even defensible was the one about Rubio. He would make a decent vice president.

My opinion? No one has me excited yet. Can't say I'm particularly looking forward to another Clinton or Bush presidency, though.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
R. E. Lee
Seventh Year

Charles C.W. Cooke had a good piece on Cruz's rhetorical ability that I think really hits the nail on the head. It identified a problem I've always had with Cruz but never been able to really articulate: even when I agree with him, the way he communicates his points makes me want to go the other way.

While we're on the subject, rumor is that Rubio is going to throw his hat in the ring on Monday. The place he's announcing at is called the "Ellis Island of the South." Not sure if that's him making some sort of point about his stance on immigration, or if he wants it to emphasize his background. I hope it's the latter, if only because he's amazing at talking about it with sincerity.

The interesting thing for me at this point is that of everyone we've heard is interested in running from the Republican side, I can't recall any serious religious right candidates. I mean they all talk about God, sure, and some of them some pretty socially conservative positions, but there aren't any Santorums or Huckabees who talk about that and have the fiscal and national security parts of their platforms almost as an afterthought. It is early and someone in that camp might come forward, but I wonder if that says something about where the Republican electorate is at in 2016.

EDIT: about Ben Carson, I think it's basically impossible for someone who's never been elected to any public office to secure the nomination from either party in this day and age. He also has huge knowledge gaps; he was on Hugh Hewitt's radio show a while back and he claimed that the problem of radical Islam and ISIS went back to Jacob and Esau (from the Book of Genesis!) and said that we needed to get the Baltic states into NATO (they've been members for over a decade). Hewitt called him out on it during the interview. So if he wants to be a serious candidate, he needs to be able to articulate his position on any subject that a presidential candidate should and will be asked, and he needs to be able to yesterday.

Last edited by R. E. Lee; 04-12-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
Pasta Sentient
Disappeared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
I hadn't heard of Ben Carson before. Just looked at his positions. The dude is a fucking idiot. Not much more of an idiot than the majority of the Republican party, but really, how can you claim to be a scientist and say that you don't believe in evolution? And Pasta, I'm glad you think that the guy to whom 'homosexuality = paedophilia = bestiality' is brilliant. Nice to know where you stand on these things.
My opinion on homosexuality takes the Biblical view in that all sexual acts outside of marriage between a man and a woman is morally wrong. I believe it is entirely possible for a person to be born with a desire for homosexual sex same as a person with a desire for heterosexual sex is. However like the person with a desire for heterosexual sex, it is immoral unless between a man and a woman in marriage.

I don't hate people who perform homosexual acts just like I don't hate people who have premarital sex. I personally disagree with the morality of it.

As for evolution, that's a whole other issue that brings in more religion and would lead to debate.

You are welcome to disagree with me, but know that my views are not born out of animosity or hatred.

Edit: Didn't think you were, Samuel. I'm glad I could make ya laugh. Haha.

Last edited by Pasta Sentient; 04-12-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #10
R. E. Lee
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Sentient View Post
@R.E. Lee Do you consider Cruz not to be Religious Right then?
Cruz is both fiscally and socially conservative pretty solidly, but when I think of a "Religious Right candidate" I think of people who make that their overwhelmingly primary focus, rather than balancing it out with national security and fiscal policy. Both Cruz and Rubio has his support from both social and fiscal conservatives as well as foreign policy neo-cons, and from what I've seen they lacks the single-mindedness of Santorum.

Last edited by R. E. Lee; 04-12-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #11
esran
Professor

Quote:
My opinion on homosexuality takes the Biblical view in that all sexual acts outside of marriage between a man and a woman is morally wrong. I believe it is entirely possible for a person to be born with a desire for homosexual sex same as a person with a desire for heterosexual sex is. However like the person with a desire for heterosexual sex, it is immoral unless between a man and a woman in marriage.

I don't hate people who perform homosexual acts just like I don't hate people who have premarital sex. I personally disagree with the morality of it.

As for evolution, that's a whole other issue that brings in more religion and would lead to debate.

You are welcome to disagree with me, but know that my views are not born out of animosity or hatred.

Edit: Didn't think you were, Samuel. I'm glad I could make ya laugh. Haha.
So do your views come from not believing in religious freedom, or some third thing I can't think of? Because the only two reasons I can think of are hatred and not believing in religious freedom.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #12
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This will all be much more interesting when the field of candidates on both sides is firmed up. We're barely getting started.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 04-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #13
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
Full disclosure, I'm not American (obviously) and I know very little about American politics, but just going by the link you provided @Pasta Sentient, half of Republicans listed willfully ignore mountains of evidence proving man-made climate change. LGBT rights aside, for me that would be reason enough to not vote for these people.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
Old 04-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #14
Pasta Sentient
Disappeared

Quote:
Originally Posted by esran View Post
So do your views come from not believing in religious freedom, or some third thing I can't think of? Because the only two reasons I can think of are hatred and not believing in religious freedom.
Not quite sure what you are meaning by religious freedom. I believe that Marriage is defined as between one man and one woman. I believe it is morally wrong to have sex outside of this. (Let me clarify that I am not coming at this in a 'holier than thou' view. I'm definitely guilty of premarital sex and others.)

I believe that in the USA, laws regarding marriage should follow that moral definition. That said, I'm not saying we should go Old Testament and kill people for going outside that definition. If homosexuals or those living together before marriage want to receive the same benefits of married couples i believe they should have that option; but don't call it marriage.

Also to give an example of my feelings...do you hate the person who was speeding and received a ticket just for breaking the law? Does the police officer hate the speeder? I believe those who have sex outside of marriage are breaking God's law, but I certainly don't hate them. Nor does God. God is required to be an impartial judge by nature of His character.

Edit: @Scott Press Could you please provide data on the climate change evidence? From what I understand, the majority of climate change evidence is based on computer models that are woefully inadequate; but I could be wrong there.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
MonkeyEpoxy
Alchemist

Quote:

Edit: @Scott Press Could you please provide data on the climate change evidence? From what I understand, the majority of climate change evidence is based on computer models that are woefully inadequate; but I could be wrong there.
Here's a good starting point

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/sh...ad.php?t=28017
Old 04-12-2015, 05:30 PM   #16
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Could you please provide data on the climate change evidence? From what I understand, the majority of climate change evidence is based on computer models that are woefully inadequate; but I could be wrong there.
There was a thread about this in RLD. Other than that, go research the UN report on Climate Change. Suffice to say, your reference to imperfect computer modeling is resoundingly false.

Edit: ninja'd.

Further edit: So as not to be entirely redundant, here's the 2014 IPCC Summary For Policy Makers. It has anything you might wish to know in condensed form.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

Last edited by Darth_Revan; 04-12-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Pasta Sentient
Disappeared

Thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely get to reading. Since we got a ways to go....this is a blanket question to everyone; How would you define your perfect candidate's position? Obviously none of us will find what's perfect, but it helps to find what we do look for.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #18
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
As for same-sex marriage and everything surrounding that, I support it, which is why the state of things in Poland in that area pisses me off.

Seems to me Pasta like you don't really have a problem with it, but your religion does. I would suggest switching to one that's more inclusive. My gods, for example, are cool with all that.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
Old 04-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #19
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely get to reading. Since we got a ways to go....this is a blanket question to everyone; How would you define your perfect candidate's position? Obviously none of us will find what's perfect, but it helps to find what we do look for.
This is as good an idea as any for a jumping off point.

Here's a quick reference of all of the issue areas I can think of right now, in no particular order:

Defense
Taxation
Retirement
Welfare
Healthcare
Economic Theory
National Security
Education
Transportation
Environment
Social Issues (Abortion, Gay Marriage, etc.)
Infrastructure
Foreign Policy
Fiscal/Monetary Policy
Agriculture Policy
Labor Issues (Pay and Leave, for example)
Justice and Law and Order

Feel free to add others. I will write down my views when I have more time. Gotta run.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #20
Warburg
Seventh Year

Quote:
Not quite sure what you are meaning by religious freedom. I believe that Marriage is defined as between one man and one woman. I believe it is morally wrong to have sex outside of this. (Let me clarify that I am not coming at this in a 'holier than thou' view. I'm definitely guilty of premarital sex and others.)

I believe that in the USA, laws regarding marriage should follow that moral definition. That said, I'm not saying we should go Old Testament and kill people for going outside that definition. If homosexuals or those living together before marriage want to receive the same benefits of married couples i believe they should have that option; but don't call it marriage.
How do you reconcile this with the idea of separation between church and state? Why do you get to decide what marriage is defined as? Does it harm you or anyone else if two gay people decide to get married? Why do you get to impose your moral beliefs on others if they aren't harming anyone? Is your possible future marriage somehow cheapened by the fact that some other priest that you don't know or attend wedded to gay people? I'm simply baffled by this stance because almost no one in my country takes it.
Closed Thread