Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Politics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 02:08 AM   #5821
KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!
Order Member
Troll in the Dungeon

High Score: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlibertyx View Post
I don't get it. China grabs one of our underwater drones...and Trump says they should keep it? I don't get it.
Downplaying the importance of a US military embarassment is exactly in line with Trump's kindergarten bully narrative.

"What? Like I care that you beat me in (insert competitive activity)? Here. Have the stupid prize. I didn't want it anyway. Nanny nanny boo boo. Joke's on you, dumbhead. Ha ha."
Old 12-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #5822
Torll
Squib

Well it's official now. Trump is to become the 45th President of the United States.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #5823
Dryden
First Year

Is it time to retire the thread?
Old 12-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #5824
Marsupial
Death Eater

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I think it's time to retire the entire Republic.

DLP Foreign Legion http://www.cybernations.net/default....arsupial%20Bob
Old 12-21-2016, 01:48 AM   #5825
deyas
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupial View Post
Donald? Is that you?
Old 12-21-2016, 02:48 AM   #5826
Paranoid Android
Groundskeeper

Quote:
I think my favourite part of 2016 is that the Fidel Castro managed to outlive his mortal enemy the Republic by a couple weeks.
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 12-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #5827
Andrela
Dark!Andrela
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:

Jokes aside, given that the elections are over perhaps the thread should simply be renamed as Official American Politics Thread. Or is there one like it already?
Old 12-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #5828
Hal
Professor

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-o...ricans-n698416

The attacks on LGBT rights begins.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #5829
Agayek
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Eh that's actually one bill I'm not worried about. There's a core part of the bill that really is Constitutional, and that will hold up in court, methinks, but the vagueness of what it covers will almost certainly get it modified extensively through common law, if not legislation.

From what I've read of the actual bill, and what I know of current legal precedents in the matter, this will be interpreted by a sensible court as "private businesses cannot be sued for $140,000 by the government for refusing to serve someone" and the like. There will almost certainly be provisions bolted on by the courts via common law ensuring public officials be mandated to provided equal service to all and the like.

Last edited by Agayek; 12-21-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #5830
Oment
Minister for Magic
The Betrayer

It's probably the first instance of the old shit flinging tactic that has worked well for pro-life activists: just pass so many laws that the courts won't be able to strike all of them down (or pass one of them at some point, which'll then become instant-blueprint for other laws.) Meanwhile, the laws are still on the book, with consequences abound.

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Old 12-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #5831
Chengar Qordath
High Inquisitor
The Final Pony

High Score: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oment View Post
It's probably the first instance of the old shit flinging tactic that has worked well for pro-life activists: just pass so many laws that the courts won't be able to strike all of them down (or pass one of them at some point, which'll then become instant-blueprint for other laws.) Meanwhile, the laws are still on the book, with consequences abound.
Exactly this. It'll almost certainly get struck down by the courts eventually, but that process will take years.

I think the bigger question is how much political capital Trump is willing to throw into the LGBT issue. There've been plenty of indications that on a personal level he's not too enthusiastic about a lot of the Religious Right's pet issues, so I wouldn't be shocked in Trump is too busy with his other major policies (Immigration/The Wall, Taxes, etc) to throw much support behind this. Granted, just saying he won't veto it makes the law a lot more viable than it would be under any Democrat president.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #5832
Solfege
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandrel View Post
Jokes aside, given that the elections are over perhaps the thread should simply be renamed as Official American Politics Thread. Or is there one like it already?
Second this motion. Much better byline than an "Official President Trump" thread. And with so much of 2017 riding off the consequences of 2016, we may as well be going into 2016S+.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 01-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #5833
Big Z
Headmaster

DNI just released a declassified summary of the findings regarding Russian influencing of the election. Full declassified report will be available on Monday:

Link

Quote:
We assess Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the US presidential election. Russia’s goals were to undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump. We have high confidence in these judgments
Quote:
We also assess Putin and the Russian Government aspired to help President-elect Trump’s election chances when possible by discrediting Secretary Clinton and publicly contrasting her unfavorably to him. All three agencies agree with this judgment. CIA and FBI have high confidence in this judgment; NSA has moderate confidence.
Quote:
Moscow’s approach evolved over the course of the campaign based on Russia’s understanding of the electoral prospects of the two main candidates. When it appeared to Moscow that Secretary Clinton was likely to win the election, the Russian influence campaign began to focus more on undermining her future presidency.
Quote:
We assess with high confidence that Russian military intelligence (General Staff Main Intelligence Directorate or GRU) used the Guccifer 2.0 persona and DCLeaks.com to release US victim data obtained in cyber operations publicly and in exclusives to media outlets and relayed material to WikiLeaks.
Quote:
Before the election, Russian diplomats had publicly denounced the US electoral process and were prepared to publicly call into question the validity of the results. ProKremlin bloggers had prepared a Twitter campaign, #DemocracyRIP, on election night in anticipation of Secretary Clinton’s victory, judging from their social media activity.
Quote:
We assess with high confidence that the GRU relayed material it acquired from the DNC and senior Democratic officials to WikiLeaks. Moscow most likely chose WikiLeaks because of its selfproclaimed reputation for authenticity. Disclosures through WikiLeaks did not contain any evident forgeries.
Quote:
We assess Russian intelligence services collected against the US primary campaigns, think tanks, and lobbying groups they viewed as likely to shape future US policies. In July 2015, Russian intelligence gained access to Democratic National Committee (DNC) networks and maintained that access until at least June 2016.
Quote:
The General Staff Main Intelligence Directorate (GRU) probably began cyber operations aimed at the US election by March 2016. We assess that the GRU operations resulted in the compromise of the personal e-mail accounts of Democratic Party officials and political figures. By May, the GRU had exfiltrated large volumes of data from the DNC.
Quote:
We assess Moscow will apply lessons learned from its campaign aimed at the US presidential election to future influence efforts in the United States and worldwide, including against US allies and their election processes. We assess the Russian intelligence services would have seen their election influence campaign as at least a qualified success because of their perceived ability to impact public discussion
Quote:
We assess Russian intelligence services will continue to develop capabilities to provide Putin with options to use against the United States, judging from past practice and current efforts. Immediately after Election Day, we assess Russian intelligence began a spearphishing campaign targeting US Government employees and individuals associated with US think tanks and NGOs in national security, defense, and foreign policy fields. This campaign could provide material for future influence efforts as well as foreign intelligence collection on the incoming administration’s goals and plans.
Ideological purity, compromise as weakness, a fundamentalist belief in scriptural literalism, denying science, unmoved by facts, undeterred by new information, a hostile fear of progress, a demonization of education, a need to control women's bodies, severe xenophobia, tribal mentality, intolerance of dissent, pathological hatred of US government.

They can call themselves the Tea Party. They can call themselves conservatives. They can even call themselves Republicans, though Republicans certainly shouldn't. But we should call them what they are: The American Taliban.
Steamgifts: http://www.steamgifts.com/user/bigzgod/won

Last edited by Big Z; 01-06-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #5834
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Well, there you have it, folks.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Old 01-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #5835
Invictus
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
How's the Intelligence community reacting to Trump's veiled insults and dismissal? Oh and Flynn doing that too.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #5836
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
How's the Intelligence community reacting to Trump's veiled insults and dismissal? Oh and Flynn doing that too.
As you can imagine, with barely suppressed fury and disgust.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 01-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #5837
Big Z
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
In case you want to feel slightly worse

Later on:

Guess our next President trusts Wikileaks more than our intelligence community
Ideological purity, compromise as weakness, a fundamentalist belief in scriptural literalism, denying science, unmoved by facts, undeterred by new information, a hostile fear of progress, a demonization of education, a need to control women's bodies, severe xenophobia, tribal mentality, intolerance of dissent, pathological hatred of US government.

They can call themselves the Tea Party. They can call themselves conservatives. They can even call themselves Republicans, though Republicans certainly shouldn't. But we should call them what they are: The American Taliban.
Steamgifts: http://www.steamgifts.com/user/bigzgod/won

Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #5838
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Nonsense, everyone knows Trump can't read.

Last edited by Darth_Revan; 01-07-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 01-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #5839
Erotic Adventures of S
The Chosen One

He can read 160 characters or less.

Nothing. It will never come. Death before defeat. You can kill me, destroy my soul, destroy my magic, but you cannot defeat me. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. And you may destroy my magic, but not before I destroy everything of this world that I can…including your magic and soul. There is no defeat.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #5840
The Iron Rose
Order Member

The US Navy fired shots at Iranian Boats in the Strait of Hormuz. BMEWS also apparently picked up a hot signature over Alaska

Warning shots and (hopefully) a Russian drive by. Ominous nonetheless.
Closed Thread