Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2015, 03:32 AM   #21
Mewsman
Squib
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 8
This is relatively good for a time travel fic, I suppose. It's not terrible, and it's readable, but I couldn't find it enjoyable. I think someone that has never been drunk, or have had extremely limited interaction with drunk people outside of cartoons, should have no business writing drunk people.

Sure he was faking it after some point, but the writing here was almost slapstick. No more than a 2/5 from me. This author could really do with some beta-reading, I think.
Mewsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #22
Tyrant's Bane
Squib
 
Join Date: May 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 7
The story is pretty good, its interesting, and the plot is certainly different then most I end up reading. That being said, Mew is right about the drunk scenes and need for a beta. Also wondering if its dead or not considering how long its been since an update.
Tyrant's Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:32 AM   #23
The Iron Rose
Auror
 
The Iron Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Gender: Female
Posts: 690
Of all the stories that turn Unspeakables into spies, my favourite part is when they inevitably slip up and call them 'agents.' I mean, I'm not surprised that FFN authors have no idea what they're talking about, but still.

If you're going to write a story involving espionage, please do a modicum of research first.

Last edited by The Iron Rose; 10-19-2015 at 07:04 AM.
The Iron Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #24
kix
First Year
 
kix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Gender: Male
Posts: 32
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Updated, seems it was not as abandoned as it looked like. Looks like the novelty of what made the first chapters so interesting is loosing some of the appeal. Next few chapters will make it or break it.
kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #25
Jormungandr
Prisoner
 
Jormungandr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Merry ol' England
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,961
Lost interest when it became another Harry/Bellatrix.

My interest was held when it looked to be a Harry/Rosmerta, as that pairing --in this situation-- is rarer than clean Mexican municipal water.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu, the Art of War
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Jormungandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #26
Odran
Heir
 
Odran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungandr View Post
Lost interest when it became another Harry/Bellatrix.
Am I missing something here? Because out of the currently four existing chapters, Bellatrix gets brought up only once, in the very first chapter, and only in relation to being engaged to one of the Lestrange brothers.
__________________
On into the void he flies. Unafraid. There is nothing in mere absence that might cow him. Or loneliness. Or the lack of maps or charts. For he is his own path. And he sees by his own light. We watch him from a great distance. From a vantage point no less subjective, no less absolute. And so it's hard to tell whether he imposes himself on the emptiness or becomes it.

Odran is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #27
Marsupial
Order Member
 
Marsupial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 897
DLP Supporter Donor Star
I am kind of betting on Valkyrie being Bellatrix, but that is vague supposition at best. Certainly wouldn't bet on that for the pairing at this point.
__________________
Formerly known as Anubis Rex

DLP Foreign Legion http://www.cybernations.net/default....arsupial%20Bob
Marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:03 AM   #28
Download
Minister for Magic
 
Download's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,323
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Re-reading it would agree Valkyrie is probably Bellatrix. Alternate timeline or a fall from grace?
Download is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #29
Jormungandr
Prisoner
 
Jormungandr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Merry ol' England
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odran View Post
Am I missing something here? Because out of the currently four existing chapters, Bellatrix gets brought up only once, in the very first chapter, and only in relation to being engaged to one of the Lestrange brothers.
Huh: either I confused the story with another (most likely) or the summary/tag listing was changed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu, the Art of War
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Jormungandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:23 AM   #30
Leif Campbell
Squib
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: America
Gender: Male
Posts: 8
I like it. It has a nice blend of humor and action that I enjoy reading. So far I would give it a 4/5
Leif Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-27-2015, 04:36 AM   #31
Private Jenkins
Squib
 
Private Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 8
Y'know. 3/5 and a time waster? Considering this is DLP, I'll take that as a win. You guys are brutally honest. Which is awesome. I agree with pretty much all of you. Except Mewsman. I may not be able to write drunk characters, but I assure you, drinking is a way of life in the army and I really should stop. But no hard feelings. I understand where you're coming from. I'm not a professional writer, but ff is a good medium to practice.

I will say that I was influenced by the Dresden Files and Castle, so I'm not surprised people are getting the super cop vibe mixed with Brawler Harry. As for calling Unspeakables Agents and making them some sort of super soldiers, I lean more towards Lorddwar's Summer of Change and DobbyElfLord's Altered Destiny style of Unspeakables. What can I say? Special Forces Wizards sounded fun.

This story isn't meant to be too serious. So if you're looking for an epic story with deep overarching storylines, mixed with action and romance, I'm sorry. Can't help you.

Now I'm not some angsty teen who can't take constructive criticism or a roasting. You won't hurt my feelings. This is DLP. I've stalked this site for years. You got questions? You got criticisms? You think I'm an asshole? Lemme know. And I appreciate the feedback
Private Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-27-2015, 07:58 AM   #32
IBG
Seventh Year
 
IBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 289
I think this was just put up for review way too early, I could definitely see it sneaking into the library if it was further along. Most time travel / dimension hop stories have one of a few fairly generic beginnings and this is no different, so the story hasn't really come into its own yet.

The writing and humor is certainly good enough to hold my attention though and I'm looking forward to reading more.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
I can fully imagine Voldemort ... getting into futile arguments with people over the internet and then finding them and killing them
IBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #33
The Iron Rose
Auror
 
The Iron Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Gender: Female
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Jenkins View Post
Y'know. 3/5 and a time waster? Considering this is DLP, I'll take that as a win. You guys are brutally honest. Which is awesome. I agree with pretty much all of you. Except Mewsman. I may not be able to write drunk characters, but I assure you, drinking is a way of life in the army and I really should stop. But no hard feelings. I understand where you're coming from. I'm not a professional writer, but ff is a good medium to practice.

I will say that I was influenced by the Dresden Files and Castle, so I'm not surprised people are getting the super cop vibe mixed with Brawler Harry. As for calling Unspeakables Agents and making them some sort of super soldiers, I lean more towards Lorddwar's Summer of Change and DobbyElfLord's Altered Destiny style of Unspeakables. What can I say? Special Forces Wizards sounded fun.

This story isn't meant to be too serious. So if you're looking for an epic story with deep overarching storylines, mixed with action and romance, I'm sorry. Can't help you.

Now I'm not some angsty teen who can't take constructive criticism or a roasting. You won't hurt my feelings. This is DLP. I've stalked this site for years. You got questions? You got criticisms? You think I'm an asshole? Lemme know. And I appreciate the feedback
It's actually a lot of fun. I enjoyed it, probably worth a 4/5. Reasonably well written, the interactions between Flamel and Harry stretch credulity, but the Charlus Potter plotline is remarkably well done. You've gotten an excellent start.


Buuuuuuuuut for one thing, intelligence officers are officers, not agents


It's a total pet peeve of mine and almost everyone outside the DoD or the intelligence community does this so it doesn't really detract from the story. Still, you're Army iirc, you should know better!

I don't mind turning Unspeakables into SAD/SOG or ISA analogues, I mind the label dammit
The Iron Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:31 AM   #34
Download
Minister for Magic
 
Download's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,323
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose View Post
It's actually a lot of fun. I enjoyed it, probably worth a 4/5. Reasonably well written, the interactions between Flamel and Harry stretch credulity, but the Charlus Potter plotline is remarkably well done. You've gotten an excellent start.


Buuuuuuuuut for one thing, intelligence officers are officers, not agents


It's a total pet peeve of mine and almost everyone outside the DoD or the intelligence community does this so it doesn't really detract from the story. Still, you're Army iirc, you should know better!

I don't mind turning Unspeakables into SAD/SOG or ISA analogues, I mind the label dammit
This is Harry Potter, what makes you think they follow Western military convention?
Download is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #35
The Iron Rose
Auror
 
The Iron Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Gender: Female
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Download View Post
This is Harry Potter, what makes you think they follow Western military convention?
It's global convention, really. I can't think of a single intelligence organization off hand that calls its officers agents. That designation is significantly less complimentary. So, to reverse your question, why should Harry Potter follow Hollywood?

Like I said, it's a pet peeve that has little to do with the actual merits of the story.
The Iron Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #36
Lysianda
Squib
 
Lysianda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: England
Gender: Female
Posts: 12
It doesn't seem too bad so far. There is the sensation that the author's private feelings about the military (see his name) may be influencing the story, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The most major issue with it is simply that by making Harry reflect his own 'soldier' mentality and act as a stand in for the perfect warrior (or at least a great warrior) the author does seem to be making Harry a bit OP and letting things be solved by violence rather than anything more ingenious.

However, the fight scenes are well written, there are pleasant nods to other works in similar genres and I could well be wrong. We're only in the very early stages of the story yet and the author does seem to be trying to set up some interesting plot threads.
__________________
'In retrospect I have no idea how Horcruxes work.' Volde ... Harry Potter in Seventh Horcrux.

Last edited by Lysianda; 11-29-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Lysianda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:28 AM   #37
Private Jenkins
Squib
 
Private Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose View Post
It's actually a lot of fun. I enjoyed it, probably worth a 4/5. Reasonably well written, the interactions between Flamel and Harry stretch credulity, but the Charlus Potter plotline is remarkably well done. You've gotten an excellent start.


Buuuuuuuuut for one thing, intelligence officers are officers, not agents


It's a total pet peeve of mine and almost everyone outside the DoD or the intelligence community does this so it doesn't really detract from the story. Still, you're Army iirc, you should know better!

I don't mind turning Unspeakables into SAD/SOG or ISA analogues, I mind the label dammit
Well, I will say that the closest I've ever come to interacting with anyone remotely close to the intelligence community is my 1SG, but an old Special Forces NCO doesn't really count... lol Regardless, I went back to my drafts and swapped out Agent with Officer, just to see how it felt. While I understand how annoying a small detail like 'Agent' can be (I can't stand being called sir, I work for a living damn it!) I feel swapping 'Agent' out for 'Officer' changes the flow of how my story is written. However; I have already incorporated your point of view as a fun little argument in a future chapter, so I hope you won't mind my homage to your criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysianda View Post
It doesn't seem too bad so far. There is the sensation that the author's private feelings about the military (see his name) may be influencing the story, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The most major issue with it is simply that by making Harry reflect his own 'soldier' mentality and act as a stand in for the perfect warrior (or at least a great warrior) the author does seem to be making Harry a bit OP and letting things be solved by violence rather than anything more ingenious.

However, the fight scenes are well written, there are pleasant nods to other works in similar genres and I could well be wrong. We're only in the very early stages of the story yet and the author does seem to be trying to set up some interesting plot threads.
As for my own military career affecting the story, I completely agree with your assessment. I've been taught to 'Write what you know' and warfare is something I know very well. Seeing as I never did receive my Hogwarts letter, I've had to draw on other experiences. Harry is meant to be OP, but not invincible. I've tried to illustrate this in previous chapters; excluding his spar with Amelia, he hasn't come out of a single conflict unscathed. He's been hit with the Cruciatus curse, broken bones, cracked ribs, dislocated his shoulder, and has been thrown through a shop window.

He's been solving his problems primarily through violence, but I have laid the groundwork for some good ol' detective work with my upcoming 'Corruption in the DMLE' arc, which I alluded to briefly in chapter three.

But like you said, WTT is still in its early stages of development. I appreciate your thoughts on the story and hopefully you'll enjoy it in chapters to come.


Seeing as I'm still a filthy Muggle, I haven't been able to post WTT in Work by Author, but I'll get there eventually. It's karma for me creeping on DLP all these years and not contributing like a good little wizard.
Private Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 12-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #38
karlhugo
Squib
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 5
I can't for the life of me understand the negative comments for this fic, I love it, I probably read the first three chapters three times before the update came. I am looking forward to future updates and chapters.
karlhugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #39
TallDarkStranger
Second Year
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Neverland
Gender: Male
Posts: 66
I liked this work. The premise is good, the fact that Harry doesn't hate Albus is a def. plus IMO, but it seems like the ages are off.

James Potter went to school in the 70s, but if Charlus Potter fought beside Dumbledore against Grindelwald (40s) he has to be more than 50 years older than his son. Possible, but seems odd. I always thought Charlus Potter was at school in the 40s, along with riddle.

The banter is fun, but gets annoying - this seems too far off kilter for a Harry who's lost so many people, unless it's a way of coping.
What is it with all these women who don't mind having their asses slapped by a near stranger?
TallDarkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:53 AM   #40
xvector
Second Year
 
Join Date: May 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 79
I actually... really, really liked this. It's great, I think, even more so when compared to existing Marauders-era time travel fics. Harry is just witty enough to amuse me, but it doesn't feel overdone. The super-cop elements add an interesting backstory to Harry, and the flashbacks are extremely well-done. And I just love the feel of the fic.

I wouldn't call it a time waster by any means. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and although it's probably abandoned, I give it a 4/5 - 4.5/5.
xvector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, author: private jenkins, humor, time travel, timetravel


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time travel AU fic Hello Story Search 5 07-17-2011 09:09 AM
Time-travel. Monkeynuts General Discussion 19 06-27-2011 09:38 AM
Time Travel fic Jjf88 Story Search 6 11-24-2009 02:01 AM
how is time travel possible ihateuall FanFic Discussion 25 03-01-2008 01:25 AM
Worst time to time travel Jadedmagus FanFic Discussion 22 12-16-2006 12:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2016 DLP Group. All rights reserved.
No personal intellectual property on this site may be used without the credit and express permission of the respective authors.