Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #1
Quiddity
Auror
 
Quiddity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Zealand
Gender: Male
Posts: 603
Hallowed by Shinysavage - T

Title: Hallowed
Author: Shinysavage
Rating: T
Genre: Adventure/Drama
Status: WIP (85,000 words now)
Library Category: The Alternates
Pairings: Harry/Lisa Turpin
Summary: Once upon a time, three brothers came up with a plan to change the world forever. Centuries later, wizards still fight over the scraps of their power. However, only one person can truly lay claim to their destiny. AU.
Link: FF.net WBA 1 WBA 2

Basically, the AU is that Voldemort goes after the Deathly Hallows instead of Horcruxes as a way to conquer death, and everything else proceeds from there.

This was the first place winner in the 2011 August/September Competition, and I imagine it is only by oversight that it has missed out on the library for so long.

The original reviews (spoilers for the opening 1-2 chapters):
Quote:
Good start. A Ravenclaw Harry who isn't the boy who lived, though still special because of the cloak, is an interesting read. Like [...] I'm interested in where the master of death part will come in. It's a good idea and I'm curious to see how you handle it. Also the fight scenes where amazing. I especially liked the first one and the beginning of the second one. A witty and powerful Dumbledore is greet in a story.

95/100

Yes, really liked this fresh approach to diverging things at Halloween. The fight scenes flowed with excitement without being ridiculously grandeur and you shifted things on at a decent pace. Perhaps there was a lack of character development but Im sure that will come in the future

I am interested in where you take this with the Hallows, I think we have an awesome Dumbledore in the making here. It was great how you've left that bit of intrigue into him with the memory charms on James and Sirius

Keep it up

86/100

Lily is a bitch.

My biggest question after reading is why there was no war? I'm guessing Voldemort went to study with ancient wizards via the Resurrection stone. I liked the two Voldemort-Dumbldore convos, but it seems that Voldemort isn't that much of an antagonist here, and Harry's typical smart schoolkid personality doesn't seem to leave much room for this fic to be character driven. The main plot hasn't started yet although that's understandable since this isn't a oneshot.

Your duels are decent but they could use a bit more flavor.

I really don't have any complaints. What you have is interesting but not that interesting.

80/100 with the possibility of an increase awaiting future chapters.

Interesting idea but I can't even imagine where the Master of Death thing will come in, aside from Tom wanting the cloak. The writing is solid with the exception of Dumbledore. His 'chat' with Voldemort in the beginning was off, for the lack of better wording: he was to vulgar, because I think Dumbledore is to sophisticated to talk like that.

Who is Underwood? Can't figure it out , just that he is a teacher.

I liked the fight scenes. The smoking thing is I assume from the movies? They were done tastefully not emphasizing it like most authors do it('Hey look he can turn into a smoke!44!!1!') Why was Dumbledore holding back, is there a prophecy too or what?

84/100


Very interesting start to a story. I like the way you've set everything up, and the Ravenclaw Harry you've made is very believable.

Dumbledore is very well done, as well - I'm a bit leery of the memory charms, but I can actually understand his motivation here, which is the main failing in most Manipulative!Dumbledore stories.

Overall, very well done. Looking forward to more.

93/100
I posted this because I'd just caught up on the last 3-4 chapters and wanted to post a review on those, so this is mainly in respect of those.

I had this at 4/5 originally, because I thought it progressed from a strong opening into a slightly bland Hogwarts sequence. I don't know quite how to describe that, except that the prose seemed to lack a certain colour or vitality. It's been a while since I formed this view, so don't put too much stock in it.

Reading the last few chapters and I have to promote that to a 4.5/5. I am greatly impressed with the creativeness of the new tasks, the characterization seems more distinctive, and my criticisms of the prose have vanished. The brisk pace remains, but seems more appropriately so.

So, great work. 5/5 for ratings purposes.
__________________
Lead designer of Erebus in the Balance, a balancing and playability modmod for Fall From Heaven 2, the award-winning dark fantasy mod for Civilization 4

Last edited by Quiddity; 04-24-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Quiddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
Shinysavage
Order Member
Madman With A Box
 
Shinysavage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 860
High Score: 2,296
Thanks Quiddity!

Pairing is Harry/Lisa Turpin, although that isn't listed in the story info on ff.net.
__________________
“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Shinysavage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Quiddity
Auror
 
Quiddity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Zealand
Gender: Male
Posts: 603
Ah, I wasn't sure if that was set in stone enough to list. Updated
__________________
Lead designer of Erebus in the Balance, a balancing and playability modmod for Fall From Heaven 2, the award-winning dark fantasy mod for Civilization 4
Quiddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:27 AM   #4
crimson sun06
Unspeakable
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 729
First off I really like the originality of the fic. A story centered around the Hallows with Harry as an unlikely protagonist without a prophecy to make him special. The plot is engaging and does give something to look forward to even if the end-game is visible.

So far so good.

But then come the characters. None of them are particularly interesting and this is more so for Harry himself who is nothing like his canon counterpart. Not that that's a bad thing but he just seems a little too bland.
Another thing that bothered me was how reactive Dumbledore is.
 
He allows Voldemort to gain access to Hogwarts and endanger Harry's life twice.


Voldemort himself seems like an afterthought. Making sporadic appearances and doing his stuff but never quite being the ominous presence that he is meant to be. So while we are told there is conflict and sometimes shown, but I never quite felt it. There doesn't seem to be any dread or urgency that should come with an on-the-loose dark lord.
And now that I know that it is a Harry/Lisa fic, I find myself a little disappointed as
 
It didn't seem like Harry ever interacted with Lisa in a meaningful way before he asked her to the ball and now they're in a serious relationship.


If it was just a high-school fling it wouldn't be so bad, but as the main pairing I'll admit I feel a little letdown. But these are early days and maybe the romance would grow on me.

The tasks were original and imaginative and the OCs are serviceable if not entirety memorable.

3/5 for now.
__________________
Fallen Angels
crimson sun06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-01-2016, 12:06 AM   #5
Myrrdin Emrys
Disappeared
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Somewhere in Asia.
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 295
Original fic is original.

Things I like about the plot are listed below: PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE SPOILERS BELOW!!!


1). Dumbledore's characterization has been skillfully done and he is just a pleasure to read.

2). I like that instead of looking for adventures, Harry seems to find them on his way.

3). Voldemort has some amazing lines... still not as good as Dumbledore's though.

4). Dumbledore and Voldemort's fight scenes are always refreshing to see and read, and so you get the appropriate props for that.

All in all, with little to no grammatical issues and good prose, you get 5/5 from me, @Shinysavage.
Myrrdin Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Averis
Fourth Year
Don of Delivery
 
Averis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 127
High Score: 3,065
I was really impressed with Shiny's writing on this one. Everything from the small twists in characterization of minor characters to the broad changes in world-building seems well-designed. It captured my attention from the get-go and I finished the FF.net chapters relatively quickly to be able to catch up in WbA... only to be tremendously let down when I realized there's no more story to read.

That, in itself, proves that this story is a 5/5. Are there ways that it could be improved? Certainly. No one is flawless. But this story has potential to be one of the best of its ilk, with a completely original Triwizard Tournament and the type of Harry we all like -- smart, well-balanced and the antithesis of Malfoy. Riddle is captivating, as well as his quarrel with Dumbledore, who I find is the best character in the story thus far.

Great work, bro. Hope this review helps to urge you forward on a new chapter!
__________________
warbledywarpswark
Averis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
Shinysavage
Order Member
Madman With A Box
 
Shinysavage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 860
High Score: 2,296
@Averis: 2000-odd words into the next chapter, which I'm hoping to have finished in the next couple of days. Thanks for the review!
__________________
“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Shinysavage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
fiendfyre
Muggle
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 2
I liked it , you don't follow a lot of the clichés in HP fanfiction , one gripe I had was that in the later chapters your focus to much on the romance in the story for my tastes. Overall the story is great I eagerly await a new chapter
fiendfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #9
Myrrdin Emrys
Disappeared
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Somewhere in Asia.
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 295
I've read this story three times. Gets better every time. So, @Shinysavage, when do you plan to post another... because I've been itching to post this very post a hundred times just to emphasize upon the fact that I LOVE THIS STORY!!
Myrrdin Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 05-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
Blinker
Fourth Year
 
Blinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bristol, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 131
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrrdin Emrys View Post
I've read this story three times. Gets better every time. So, @Shinysavage, when do you plan to post another... because I've been itching to post this very post a hundred times just to emphasize upon the fact that I LOVE THIS STORY!!
Be cool, you'll scare him off...
Blinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #11
Shinysavage
Order Member
Madman With A Box
 
Shinysavage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 860
High Score: 2,296
@Myrrdin Emrys: next chapter is 4000 odd words/about half done. Will (hopefully) be finishing it this week.
__________________
“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Shinysavage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #12
Myrrdin Emrys
Disappeared
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Somewhere in Asia.
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinker View Post
Be cool, you'll scare him off...
Nah, Shinysavage would never do that. He's too fucking good.... right?
Myrrdin Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #13
ScottPress
Minister for Magic
The Horny Sovereign
 
ScottPress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Holy Moose Empire
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,244
High Score: 1,826
Alrighty. I came to the Review Board, I saw this thread, I started reading.

Short review: how did I miss what's got to be one of the best fics by a DLP author ever written?

Let's start with the mundane and technical. The spag is practically spotless, with an occasional slip up that can be waved off in the face of everything else this fic does right. The pacing is great. Shinysavage unfolds the plot at a nice rate, with enough well-crafted filler to flesh out the characters and world around Harry, but not too much to boggle the story down. And reiterating the many times repeated praise in the WBA thread, the dialogue is just great, some of the best I've seen in fanfiction.

Characterizations of the key players, including Harry and Dumbledore are well done and consistent, though personally I think Harry's been mostly static throughout the post timeskip chapters. He's a smart, resourceful Claw and there's been little in terms of character development, as in changing as stuff happens, but what is there is a good portrayal of an AU Harry we had to get to know before Shiny started changing him, so it's more of a nitpick.

I do have to say that Anthony and Terry kind of blurred with Ron, all sharing the characteristics of a snarky, funny friend. I actually liked the OC Triwizard Champions.

Oh yeah - the Tournament. It's one of the best takes on it I've seen and I absolutely loved the Transfiguration dueling. I must note that the First Task and the final were, at the core, the same thing, but well enough executed that I didn't mind it much.

The things next to the main plot, like the pairing (which I actually like, because it's well done, without over the top stuff) and James' POV are nice additions that actually add to the story without seeming like unnecessary filler.

Look at me gushing, but I really have no major criticisms about Hallowed - maybe except that I think Voldemort was kind of a non-entity after the timeskip.

I could cut half a point for the things I pointed out, but it wouldn't matter because I'd be rounding up anyway.

So - is Hallowed flawless? No, but what is? Is it excellent? You can bet your five stars it is. I haven't enjoyed a fanfic this much since What You Leave Behind.

5/5, would bang

@Shinysavage, I tip my hat to you sir.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose in Discord
we gotta teach scott contouring
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^

Last edited by ScottPress; 05-16-2016 at 06:42 PM.
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #14
amethystrei
Squib
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post

Pairing is Harry/Lisa Turpin, although that isn't listed in the story info on ff.net.
This is a pretty huge pet-peeve of mine, tbh. Authors: writing het does not exempt you from the responsibility of stating your (primary) ships at the beginning of a fic. Or at the very least stating whether it's going to be het, femme/slash, or gen.

If I'm reading a fic that doesn't indicate a pairing I'm going to assume it's gen, and there's nothing that's more irrirating than going in expecting one thing only for it to be something else entirely. Just consider for a moment that you're reading a good fic only for it to suddenly start veering in the direction of, say, Harry/Crabbe. Not nice, no?

This has been a public service announcement.



Anyway--I'm not exactly keen on the idea of HP/LT but I'll give this a shot since the premise sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the rec.
amethystrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #15
ScottPress
Minister for Magic
The Horny Sovereign
 
ScottPress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Holy Moose Empire
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,244
High Score: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by amethystrei View Post
This is a pretty huge pet-peeve of mine, tbh. Authors: writing het does not exempt you from the responsibility of stating your (primary) ships at the beginning of a fic. Or at the very least stating whether it's going to be het, femme/slash, or gen.
You wot mate? Since when is that a responsibility? Is that a rule in The Official Fanfiction Rulebook I don't know about? Stating or not stating ships is entirely at the author's discretion. It may be a peeve, but it's not breaking any rules.

You give off the vibe of a person who thinks pairings are the hugest deal in any story where one is featured. That's a tiny pet peeve of mine. No hard feelings, but your post really made me go "waaaaaaaaaaaat....?"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose in Discord
we gotta teach scott contouring
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #16
Odran
Heir
 
Odran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,701
If the fanfic revolved around the pairing, i.e. if this was a romance story, I'd say that stating the pairing in the character tags would be necessary, but otherwise who gives a shit? Well, other than you, amethystrei.
__________________
Far more sinister than the price of doubt
Odran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #17
Shinysavage
Order Member
Madman With A Box
 
Shinysavage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 860
High Score: 2,296
To be fair, I've seen plenty of people on DLP bitch about a fic not stating it's slash and then springing it on you once you've been 'lured' in; I assume that amethystrei's point about responsibility is that you shouldn't bitch about one thing and not the other, related to things like straight privilege etc etc etc, which is incredibly picky but not wrong.

The implication that I haven't tagged it because it's het and I think that has special privileges as opposed to it just being simple forgetfulness is a little irritating, mind.
__________________
“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Shinysavage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #18
amethystrei
Squib
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPress View Post
You wot mate? Since when is that a responsibility? Is that a rule in The Official Fanfiction Rulebook I don't know about? Stating or not stating ships is entirely at the author's discretion. It may be a peeve, but it's not breaking any rules.

You give off the vibe of a person who thinks pairings are the hugest deal in any story where one is featured. That's a tiny pet peeve of mine. No hard feelings, but your post really made me go "waaaaaaaaaaaat....?"
It's common courtesy, is what it is. Let's be realistic here--if an author published a fic, makes absolutely no indications that there would be a pairing, and then suddenly goes: "Surprise! It's slash!" most of the readers would go batshit insane and accuse the author of "luring them in" and "leading them on." They'd throw a hissy fit regardless how minor a presence the pairing had. It's practically forbidden for slash authors to do this, but het authors are rarely held to the same standards despite the fact that there are plenty of people who don't like romance, or het, or perhaps wish to avoid a particular pairing--which they should be able to do.

Perhaps my use of "responsibility" was a bit extreme but I won't back down from my stance. Stating whether or not your fic will contain romance, and what type of romance it will be (het/slash), is the decent thing to do.

---------- Post automerged at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odran View Post
If the fanfic revolved around the pairing, i.e. if this was a romance story, I'd say that stating the pairing in the character tags would be necessary, but otherwise who gives a shit? Well, other than you, amethystrei.
Then you'd be totally okay with reading a fic that the author led you to believe was gen, only to discover later on that it was a slash fic, right?

And FYI, an extremely large portion of fandom "gives a shit" about the (primary) relationships that are featured in a story. I, for instance, do not like Ginny/Harry, do not want to read Ginny/Harry in any form, and would be utterly pissed if a story I was reading suddenly veered in that direction without so much as a forewarning.

We can't all be like you, Odran, who apparently has no issue with any HP pairing in existence.

---------- Post automerged at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post
To be fair, I've seen plenty of people on DLP bitch about a fic not stating it's slash and then springing it on you once you've been 'lured' in; I assume that amethystrei's point about responsibility is that you shouldn't bitch about one thing and not the other, related to things like straight privilege etc etc etc, which is incredibly picky but not wrong.

The implication that I haven't tagged it because it's het and I think that has special privileges as opposed to it just being simple forgetfulness is a little irritating, mind.

I apologize for that. This is something I encouter too often (particularly in the HP fandom) so I responded more rashly than I should have. I shouldn't have been so quick to assume.
amethystrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #19
Quiddity
Auror
 
Quiddity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Zealand
Gender: Male
Posts: 603
Given some things I remember from the WBA, I'm pretty sure Shinysavage didn't decide the pairing until many chapters in. That, and the fact that the pairing hardly dominates the story - as Odran said, it's not a romance - means I think its inappropriate to expect tagging. After all, the attention paid to that relationship thus far is less than tertiary relationships in many fics, which are impossible to tag.

And I have read fics which have a primary slash relationship appear later on untagged. Those are fine. What's not fine is when a relationship appears several chapters in and then dominates the story, normally in a bad way as the author has an affectation for it. So long as the relationship isn't the point of the story I don't think it needs tagging - though the author is perfectly at discretion to.
__________________
Lead designer of Erebus in the Balance, a balancing and playability modmod for Fall From Heaven 2, the award-winning dark fantasy mod for Civilization 4
Quiddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #20
Shinysavage
Order Member
Madman With A Box
 
Shinysavage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 860
High Score: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by amethystrei View Post
I apologize for that. This is something I encouter too often (particularly in the HP fandom) so I responded more rashly than I should have. I shouldn't have been so quick to assume.
No biggie. Like I say, I understand your point, even if I think it's over-zealous. I've edited the summary on ff.net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiddity View Post
Given some things I remember from the WBA, I'm pretty sure Shinysavage didn't decide the pairing until many chapters in. That, and the fact that the pairing hardly dominates the story - as Odran said, it's not a romance - means I think its inappropriate to expect tagging. After all, the attention paid to that relationship thus far is less than tertiary relationships in many fics, which are impossible to tag.
Lol. I didn't decide it until literally five minutes before I wrote it.
__________________
“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Shinysavage is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up

Tags
author:shinysavage, goblet of fire, harry/lisa, ravenclaw!harry, triwizard tournament


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy birthday, shinysavage Portus Real Life Discussion 8 10-03-2011 04:58 PM
Prophecies, Secrets and Lies by shinysavage - T Kraken Almost Recommended 6 12-24-2008 09:32 PM
Abandoned - Hallowed Spirits by Scissorhands - M Shezza The Alternates 27 12-31-2007 12:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2016 DLP Group. All rights reserved.
No personal intellectual property on this site may be used without the credit and express permission of the respective authors.