Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 11-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #101
LiquidThought
Squib

Always wondered how the Dursleys got back from Hut-on-the-Rocks. Probably had to take a swim
LiquidThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #102
torrent56
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
Brutal destruction of Harmonian dreams of Harry just going along with Ron’s dislike of Hermione.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesc View Post
Also. Yes, I forgot to say this. Hermione is outrageously interfering busybody, and Neville is a clumsy dumbass, holy fuck. It's a miracle Ron and Harry didn't get caught carrying around so much incompetence, and both are appropriately angry. In regards to Hermione in particular, there is a reason she has no friends. Somehow, Harmonians always seem to forget this. Everyone doesn't like Hermione early on, and rightly so.
Yes, true. Unfortunately Harmonians just went around twisting everything in canon to bash Ron and making the other two to be perfect people, including claiming that Harry actually supported SPEW in his heart. They also get rather angry when someone exposed their lies, sigh…
I think Hermione though despite her interference and bossiness really isn’t incompetent or unhelpful here, it was she who did the Alohomora charm that helped them to escape Filch but Neville really was a huge hindrance. I agree with everything being said here though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemrut View Post
- On one hand, I really like this piece of culture that everyone adheres to, even families like the Malfoy's to not tell their kids how the sorting goes. On the other, it strikes me as astoundingly weird that Hogwarts: A History doesn't mention the Sorting Hat. Or did Hermione skip that chapter?
I think it’s just because the staff at Hogwarts did not want the secret of how students are sorted leaked out to new students which would make the sorting less effective, meaning it wasn’t included in Hogwarts: A History.
torrent56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #103
Richard
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majube View Post
The frying pan thing seems like she was trying on purpose to miss, an Vernon may have done that in anger but likely would've let go, no?
Those two examples are generally the exceptions right what with Harry himself thinking in story that they rarely hit him and by many in that time being hit upside the head every once in a while wouldn't be a big thing.
It isn't exactly a big thing right now either.
She wouldn't have missed if he ducked his head, so no, didn't miss on purpose. She was intentionally trying to hit him with it. She only missed because he ducked his head.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #104
FriedIce
Sixth Year

I've found myself some time (being ill has some advantages) and my wonderful new illustrated versions have just arrived so I'm going to join you guys in this - 4 weeks late.

My first observation is how much better J.K Rowling's writing is than I remember it. There's an elegant simplicity that I never noticed as a kid.

The second thing I noticed is that in the opening scene the Dursleys seem genuinely happy - I wonder if it would have stayed like that if Harry remained that-cousin-Dudley-knew-he-had-but-had-never-met.

There seems to be a lot of wizards around near where Vernon works ~seven wizards who Vernon notices - is Surrey a wizard in hotspot of something? Also, "a huddle of weirdos"

Some people have commented on Petunia's statement that Harry is a nasty common name - If I remember right the very beginning of PS would be '81 which is three years before Prince Harry was born. Prior to that Harry was mostly an American name. Still a nice stealth pun by Rowling.

...Dumbledore's wearing high-heeled buckled boots. Nice.

"'You flatter me,' said Dumbledore calmly. "Voldemort had powers I will never have.'" That's an interesting sentence. I wonder what those powers could be, especially given McGonagall's suggestion that Dumbledore could have the powers if he wanted but is too noble to take them...
FriedIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #105
kira and light
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedIce View Post

"'You flatter me,' said Dumbledore calmly. "Voldemort had powers I will never have.'" That's an interesting sentence. I wonder what those powers could be, especially given McGonagall's suggestion that Dumbledore could have the powers if he wanted but is too noble to take them...
I think it's pretty obvious they talk about fucked up dark magic like possesion, killing curse, fiendfyre etc.
kira and light is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up