Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 11-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Taure
Unspeakable
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
Week 2: Philosopher's Stone, Ch. 10 - 17

Week 1 surpassed my expectations for the amount of stuff we would find to talk about and I'm sure the discussion of those chapters will continue even as we move on to week 2. Feel free to continue discussions in the week 1 thread about the content of those chapters.

Use this thread to discuss chapters 10 - 17 of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete

Last edited by Palindrome; 12-10-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Rayndeon
Professor

More random observations on my part:

Chapter 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 10 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 164
Hermione was now refusing to speak to Harry and Ron, but she was such a bossy know-it-all that they saw this as an added bonus.
You know all those stories out there, where Ron's the obvious prat and Harry and Hermione instantly become friends or something? Yeah, if canon's any indication, Hermione's not Harry's first choice in a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 10 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 174
It was a horrible sight. Twelve feet tall, its skin was a dull, granite gray, its great lumpy body like a boulder with its small bald head perched on top like a coconut. It had short legs thick as tree trunks with flat, horny feet. The smell coming from it was incredible. It was holding a huge wooden club, which dragged along the floor because its arms were so long.
Pretty intimidating and it further cements just how incredibly brave both Harry and Ron are, at the age of 11, to take that thing on by choice once Hermione's in danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 10 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 176
Hermione had sunk to the floor in fright; Ron pulled out his own wand — not knowing what he was going to do he heard himself cry the first spell that came into his head: “Wingardium Leviosa!”
This crops up again later on with the Devil's Snare scene, but in dangerous situations, for now, Ron's better at keeping his head in the game than Hermione.

Chapter 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 11 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 182
Snape and Filch were inside, alone. Snape was holding his robes above his knees. One of his legs was bloody and mangled. Filch was handing Snape bandages.
“Blasted thing,” Snape was saying. “How are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three heads at once?”
Snape doesn't appear to have gone to Pomfrey to get that injury fixed up. Also, it's interesting that the wound isn't trivial to take care of here. Possibly, wounds inflicted by magical creatures can be difficult to handle, similar to issues with dealing with injuries caused by Dark magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 11 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 184
Ron and Hermione joined Neville, Seamus, and Dean the West Ham fan up in the top row. As a surprise for Harry, they had painted a large banner on one of the sheets Scabbers had ruined. It said Potter for President, and Dean, who was good at drawing, had done a large Gryffindor lion underneath.
I assume that was Dean's idea, seeing as it's unlikely that witches and wizards care about presidents and the like. Funny that it's Potter for President though; can anyone who has the UK edition check if it says "Potter for Prime Minister" instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 11 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 187
Once he caught sight of a flash of gold, but it was just a reflection from one of the Weasleys’ wristwatches, and once a Bludger decided to come pelting his way, more like a cannonball than anything, but Harry dodged it and Fred Weasley came chasing after it.
Wristwatches are a thing in the wizarding world apparently, not just pocket watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 11 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 188
“What are you talking about, Dean?” said Ron.
“Red card!” said Dean furiously. “In soccer you get shown the red card and you’re out of the game!”
“But this isn’t soccer, Dean,” Ron reminded him.
Hagrid, however, was on Dean’s side.
“They oughta change the rules. Flint coulda knocked Harry outta the air.”
The implication here being that, short of outright attempted murder, the only penalty likely present in Qudditich is just a foul shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 11 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 190
“He’s doing something — jinxing the broom,” said Hermione.
“What should we do?”
“Leave it to me.”
Before Ron could say another word, Hermione had disappeared.
Hermione's been corrupted awfully quick. Just a couple of chapters ago, she seemed very concerned about respecting authority and the like--now, her response to a mere suspicion of foul play is not to inform another authority, but set the threat on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 11 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 191
Hermione had fought her way across to the stand where Snape stood, and was now racing along the row behind him; she didn’t even stop to say sorry as she knocked Professor Quirrell headfirst into the row in front. Reaching Snape, she crouched down, pulled out her wand, and whispered a few, well-chosen words. Bright blue flames shot from her wand onto the hem of Snape’s robes.
Nice bait and switch on Rowling's part. Quirrell is off-handedly mentioned here, so that first-time readers probably wouldn't even notice that Hermione equally prevented Quirrell from casting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 11 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 191
“Neville, you can look!” Ron said. Neville had been sobbing into Hagrid’s jacket for the last five minutes.
Neville does seem to be quite the sensitive soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 11 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 193
“I know a jinx when I see one, Hagrid, I’ve read all about them! You’ve got to keep eye contact, and Snape wasn’t blinking at all, I saw him!”
Eye contact isn't just important to Legilimency.

Chapter 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 12 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 194
The lake froze solid and the Weasley twins were punished for bewitching several snowballs so that they followed Quirrell around, bouncing off the back of his turban.
I laughed out loud when I read this again. I wonder if Harry ever told them later that they'd just spent a morning pelting snowballs at Voldemort's face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 12 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 194-195
“I do feel so sorry,” said Draco Malfoy, one Potions class, “for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they’re not wanted at home.”

He was looking over at Harry as he spoke. Crabbe and Goyle chuckled. Harry, who was measuring out powdered spine of lionfish, ignored them.

So Malfoy, jealous and angry, had gone back to taunting
Harry about having no proper family.
This seems to imply that Harry's mistreatment / emotional neglect by the Dursleys is more well-known than fanon suggests. Either that, or Malfoy's good at guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 12 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 197-198
They had indeed been searching books for Flamel’s name ever since Hagrid had let it slip, because how else were they going to find out what Snape was trying to steal? The trouble was, it was very hard to know where to begin, not knowing what Flamel might have done to get himself into a book. He wasn’t in Great Wizards of the Twentieth Century, or Notable Magical Names of Our Time; he was missing, too, from Important Modern Magical Discoveries, and A Study of Recent Developments in Wizardry. And then, of course, there was the sheer size of the library; tens of thousands of books; thousands of shelves; hundreds of narrow rows.
This seems to imply that Flamel hasn't been an active member of magical research for quite some time. It also hints at wizards and witches engaging in magical research on a level comparable to real-world scientific research, in terms of complexity, detail, scope, etc.

Also, it suggests that Hogwarts doesn't have some magical equivalent of a search function through a library catalog, which surely would have been useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 12 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 200-202
Harry had torn open the parcel to find a thick, hand-knitted sweater in emerald green and a large box of homemade fudge.
“Every year she makes us a sweater,” said Ron, unwrapping his own, “and mine’s always maroon.”

Fred and George were wearing blue sweaters, one with a large yellow F on it, the other a G.
For some reason, I had always envisioned Weasley sweaters as being some reddish color uniformly, but this shows that Mrs. Weasley doesn't stick to one color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 12 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 205
The library was pitch-black and very eerie. Harry lit a lamp to see his way along the rows of books. The lamp looked as if it was floating along in midair, and even though Harry could feel his arm
supporting it, the sight gave him the creeps.
Seems to suggest that the Lumos charm is taught later than typically thought, if Harry decided to use a physical lamp versus just lighting his wand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 12 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 208-209
He looked in the mirror again. A woman standing right behind his reflection was smiling at him and waving. He reached out a hand and felt the air behind him. If she was really there, he’d touch her, their reflections were so close together, but he felt only air — she and the others existed only in the mirror.
She was a very pretty woman. She had dark red hair and her eyes — her eyes are just like mine, Harry thought, edging a little closer to the glass. Bright green — exactly the same shape, but then he noticed that she was crying; smiling, but crying at the same time. The tall, thin, black-haired man standing next to her put his arm around her. He wore glasses, and his hair was very untidy. It stuck up at the back, just as Harry’s did.
Harry was so close to the mirror now that his nose was nearly touching that of his reflection.
“Mom?” he whispered. “Dad?”
They just looked at him, smiling. And slowly, Harry looked into the faces of the other people in the mirror, and saw other pairs of green eyes like his, other noses like his, even a little old man who looked as though he had Harry’s knobbly knees — Harry was looking at his family, for the first time in his life.
The Potters smiled and waved at Harry and he stared hungrily back at them, his hands pressed flat against the glass as though he was hoping to fall right through it and reach them. He had a powerful kind of ache inside him, half joy, half terrible sadness.
For me, this is easily one of the most poignant scenes in the entire series, alongside when Harry uses the Resurrection Stone in Deathly Hallows. This scene didn't really affect me when I read this when I was a kid, but growing older and having lost family myself along the way, it's easy to empathize with what Harry's feeling here. (Though it's obviously worse for Harry, who never got the chance to know his family at all)

If there's one this re-read shows, it's how different of an experience reading Harry Potter is several years after the fact, as a very person from before, and it really displays a depth to Rowling's work that it can be appreciated from a wide range of ages and experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 12 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 212
“I dunno, I’ve just got a bad feeling about it — and anyway, you’ve had too many close shaves already. Filch, Snape, and Mrs. Norris are wandering around. So what if they can’t see you? What if they walk into you? What if you knock something over?”
“You sound like Hermione.”
“I’m serious, Harry, don’t go.”
But Harry only had one thought in his head, which was to get back in front of the mirror, and Ron wasn’t going to stop him.
For all the stories out there that picture Ron as an idiot of some kind, notice that he's the one presented first in the story recognizing the danger of the Mirror. Ron's arguably more perceptive than others frequently give him credit for.

Chapter 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 13 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 217
Speaking quietly so that no one else would hear, Harry told the other two about Snape’s sudden, sinister desire to be a Quidditch referee.
“Don’t play,” said Hermione at once.
“Say you’re ill,” said Ron.
“Pretend to break your leg,” Hermione suggested.
“Really break your leg,” said Ron.
“I can’t,” said Harry. “There isn’t a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can’t play at all.”
Fanon Ron sees skiving off of Quidditch as a fate worse than death. Canon Ron recognizes that there are things more important than Quidditch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 13 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 221
Harry didn’t know whether he was imagining it or not, but he seemed to keep running into Snape wherever he went. At times, he even wondered whether Snape was following him, trying to catch him on his own. Potions lessons were turning into a sort of weekly torture, Snape was so horrible to Harry. Could Snape possibly know they’d found out about the Sorcerer’s Stone? Harry didn’t see how he could — yet he sometimes had the horrible feeling that Snape could read minds.
Again, clever bait and switch on Rowling's part. Snape's likely keeping an eye on Harry on Dumbledore's orders to keep him safe, though he comes off as the opposite here.

Also, nice bit of foreshadowing for Legilimency much later on in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 13 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 222
Little did Harry know that Ron and Hermione had been secretly practicing the Leg-Locker Curse. They’d gotten the idea from Malfoy using it on Neville, and were ready to use it on Snape if he showed any sign of wanting to hurt Harry.
“Now, don’t forget, it’s Locomotor Mortis,” Hermione muttered as Ron slipped his wand up his sleeve.
“I know,” Ron snapped. “Don’t nag.”
Back in the locker room, Wood had taken Harry aside.
Interestingly, Rowling slips out of third-person limited view here, since we're viewing events outside of Harry's POV within the same chapter.
Quicken (Worm): FFN | DLP
Paragon (RWBY/Worm): FFN | DLP
Along the silent field of Asphodel (HP): FFN | DLP

Last edited by Rayndeon; 11-06-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Rayndeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Jeram
Chief Warlock
Elder of Zion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Jeram
So I'm a bit behind due to miscellany, but here are a few thoughts.

In Chapter 10, Oliver Wood tells Harry that due to the Snitch's importance, Seekers get fouled a lot. People love to point out the "plothole" of having a 150 point item in Quidditch, but it's always been my opinion that it's far more violent than Muggle sports, partially because wizards can handle a lot more punishment.

Later, Wood throws golf balls in the air for practice; so... how did he get them there? Is he Muggleborn or are they a typical practice item? Golf does have its origins in Scotland around the 1400's, so conceivably it could just be something wizards sort of know about.

In chapter 11, the Seeker thing is confirmed because it's noted that "the most serious accidents seem to happen to them". Another thing I noticed; Snape got injured by the dog and asks out loud to Filch "How are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three at once?" But why does he care?

And of course, this chapter is unique in that it breaks from Harry's POV not once, but twice. The first when during the game, Ron and Hermione think Snape is hexing Harry, but the second is after the game:

Quote:
‘He didn’t catch it, he nearly swallowed it,’ Flint was still howling twenty minutes later, but it made no difference- Harry hadn’t broken any rules and Lee Jordan was still happily shouting the results -- Gryffindor had won by 170 points to 60. Harry heard none of this though. He was being made a strong cup of tea back in Hagrid's hut, with Ron and Hermione.
It's hard to think of any other times this has happened. In Book 4, we see something from the caretaker's POV until he dies, although it's also part of Harry's dream. And in Book 6, we get the Other Prime Minister. But otherwise I can't think of any time the book goes that direction.

---------- Post automerged at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayndeon View Post
I assume that was Dean's idea, seeing as it's unlikely that witches and wizards care about presidents and the like. Funny that it's Potter for President though; can anyone who has the UK edition check if it says "Potter for Prime Minister" instead?
I have the UK edition. It's President.

He was no longer Neville, the shy Gryffindor. Now he was the great Ovinomancer, Neville the Sheep Lord. - Food for Thought

Profile: PC.net | FF.net | FW

Jeram is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
Rayndeon
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeram View Post
In Chapter 10, Oliver Wood tells Harry that due to the Snitch's importance, Seekers get fouled a lot. People love to point out the "plothole" of having a 150 point item in Quidditch, but it's always been my opinion that it's far more violent than Muggle sports, partially because wizards can handle a lot more punishment.
It might be that, or that magic is really good at healing in general. At one point in the series, Harry gets a cracked skull, which be enormously problematic for you or me, but just some time at the Hospital Wing for Harry. The human body can take a great deal of punishment anyway and so otherwise grievous injuries are dealt with in relatively short fashion.

Or it could be both healing + wizard / witch hardiness I suppose which allows Bludgers to continue being a thing.

Quote:
Later, Wood throws golf balls in the air for practice; so... how did he get them there? Is he Muggleborn or are they a typical practice item? Golf does have its origins in Scotland around the 1400's, so conceivably it could just be something wizards sort of know about.
He's not Muggleborn probably. In the US edition,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 10 in Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Scholastic Press, 1997, pp. 167
“The Chasers throw the Quaffle and put it through the hoops to score,” Harry recited. “So — that’s sort of like basketball on broomsticks with six hoops, isn’t it?”
“What’s basketball?” said Wood curiously.
Unlikely a Muggleborn would be unfamiliar with basketball.

Quote:
It's hard to think of any other times this has happened. In Book 4, we see something from the caretaker's POV until he dies, although it's also part of Harry's dream. And in Book 6, we get the Other Prime Minister. But otherwise I can't think of any time the book goes that direction.
There's also Narcissa's POV in the Half-Blood Prince when she and Bellatrix have Snape take the Unbreakable Vow. There's also Snape's POV in the first chapter of Deathly Hallows at Malfoy Manor with Voldemort and the other Death Eaters. However, those aren't as unusual to me as the bit with Ron and Hermione and the part you quote: whereas those chapters break off from Harry's POV, they're self-contained to a single scene / chapter.

Here, within the same scene and chapter, we switch POVs, so the result is a sort of amalgam perhaps between 3rd-person limited POV and 3rd-person omniscient POV.
Quicken (Worm): FFN | DLP
Paragon (RWBY/Worm): FFN | DLP
Along the silent field of Asphodel (HP): FFN | DLP

Last edited by Rayndeon; 11-06-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Rayndeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
Jeram
Chief Warlock
Elder of Zion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Jeram
Quote:
It might be that, or that magic is really good at healing in general. At one point in the series, Harry gets a cracked skull, which be enormously problematic for you or me, but just some time at the Hospital Wing for Harry. The human body can take a great deal of punishment anyway and so otherwise grievous injuries are dealt with in relatively short fashion.

Or it could be both healing + wizard / witch hardiness I suppose which allows Bludgers to continue being a thing.

He's not Muggleborn probably. In the US edition,

Unlikely a Muggleborn would be unfamiliar with basketball.

There's also Narcissa's POV in the Half-Blood Prince when she and Bellatrix have Snape take the Unbreakable Vow. There's also Snape's POV in the first chapter of Deathly Hallows at Malfoy Manor with Voldemort and the other Death Eaters. However, those aren't as unusual to me as the bit with Ron and Hermione and the part you quote: whereas those chapters break off from Harry's POV, they're self-contained to a single scene / chapter.

Here, within the same scene and chapter, we switch POVs, so the result is a sort of amalgam perhaps between 3rd-person limited POV and 3rd-person omniscient POV.
Yes, good points, you're right on the two other opening chapters. I think what's really odd is that the chapter breaks POV inside itself. After book one, I don't think JKR does it again.

He was no longer Neville, the shy Gryffindor. Now he was the great Ovinomancer, Neville the Sheep Lord. - Food for Thought

Profile: PC.net | FF.net | FW

Jeram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
BTT
Auror

Quote:
This seems to imply that Harry's mistreatment / emotional neglect by the Dursleys is more well-known than fanon suggests. Either that, or Malfoy's good at guessing.
It is well-known, actually. We discussed this last thread, but here's the quotes again:
Quote:
"I heard you went to live with Muggles," said Ron. "What are they like?"
and
Quote:
Fred and George had hardly disappeared when someone far less welcome turned up: Malfoy, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle. “Having a last meal, Potter? When are you getting the train back to the Muggles?”
BTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #7
chaosattractor
Groundskeeper

But Ron has to ask what they're like, which shows the way they treat him isn't necessarily common knowledge
chaosattractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
mort
Groundskeeper

I don't think Malfoy knows about Harry's living conditions at home- rather he's knows that they're Muggles and has noticed that Harry gets little to no mail and doesn't want to go home for the holiday season. He also knows Harry is an orphan, so teasing him about family seems like one of the cruel and petty things children are unfortunately wont to do.
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 11-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
Ananke
Squib

[QUOTE=Rayndeon;948597]More random observations on my part:

Chapter 11

Snape doesn't appear to have gone to Pomfrey to get that injury fixed up. Also, it's interesting that the wound isn't trivial to take care of here. Possibly, wounds inflicted by magical creatures can be difficult to handle, similar to issues with dealing with injuries caused by Dark magic.

I was always wondering about that part as well - why would Snape go to Filch of all people? It's not like he has any medical expertise, that we know of. Obviously to Harry it looked like he was trying to hide the wound, but we know, that Snape did not in fact have any reason to keep it a secret from the general Hogwarts staff...anyway, just a random thought.
Ananke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeram View Post
Yes, good points, you're right on the two other opening chapters. I think what's really odd is that the chapter breaks POV inside itself. After book one, I don't think JKR does it again.
It happens a few times in the first chapter - the first half is mostly Vernon, then shifting between McGonagall and Dumbledore, with the occasional moment of omniscient narrator. Probably just first book roughness.

Re: Draco knowing about Harry's background, it could just be the infamous Hogwarts rumour mill. Harry isn't shy about telling people he doesn't really like the Dursleys - he tells Ron almost straight away that he's never had a proper birthday present, for example - so while I doubt Draco knows specifics, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that some of Harry's comments about them might have made their way around the castle.

Hermione's response to the troll incident puzzles me a bit, on reflection. She immediately tells the professors that she'd sneaked off to take it on herself, and ok, she's trying to get Harry and Ron out of trouble as a thank you for saving her. But why not just say "I was feeling ill, so I wasn't at the feast, so I didn't know what was going on"? I guess you can put it down to her just going with the first thing that came to mind, or maybe thinking that she owes them a bit of penance by getting in trouble herself or something.

Also, on a not wholly related note, the illustrated edition is absolutely gorgeous. It's the first time I've sat down and read it properly rather than just going through admiring the art.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #11
BTT
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 146
Could Snape possibly know they’d found out about the Sorcerer’s Stone? Harry didn’t see how he could — yet he sometimes had the horrible feeling that Snape could read minds.
Foreshadowing hooray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 152
“But there aren’t wild dragons in Britain?” said Harry.
“Of course there are,” said Ron. “Common Welsh Green and Hebridean Blacks. The Ministry of Magic has a job hushing them up, I can tell you. Our kind have to keep putting spells on Muggles who’ve spotted them, to make them forget.”
You'd think that'd come up more, wild dragons just fucking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 161
Only Ron stood by him.
But all those fanfics (and WalkingDisaster) told me Ron would betray Harry at the first opportunity? Don't tell me they lied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 189
A lot of the greatest wizards haven’t got an ounce of logic, they’d be stuck in here forever.
She says that but all of the bottles could've contained poison. That's also a conclusion one could make, since there appears to be no reason the trials should ever let someone who isn't supposed to be there in. Or there exists a poison-revealing spell, for all we know. It's not very logical at all to take the puzzle at face value, really. I don't think JKR did this on purpose, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 192
All the other teachers thought Snape was trying to stop Gryffindor from winning, he did make himself unpopular…
Even the teachers don't like Snape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 196
I killed your father first; and he put up a courageous fight…
James must've pulled something really special to get a compliment from Voldemort of all people.

Thinking about it, Voldemort could have just told Harry there was a prophecy. That'd shake up canon for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 201
“D’you think he meant you to do it?” said Ron. “Sending you your father’s cloak and everything?”

“Well, ” Hermione exploded, “if he did — I mean to say that’s terrible — you could have been killed.”

“No, it isn’t,” said Harry thoughtfully. “He’s a funny man, Dumbledore. I think he sort of wanted to give me a chance. I think he knows more or less everything that goes on here, you know. I reckon he had a pretty good idea we were going to try, and instead of stopping us, he just taught us enough to help. I don’t think it was an accident he let me find out how the mirror worked. It’s almost like he thought I had the right to face Voldemort if I could…”
Very interesting little bit here, considering Manipulative Dumbledore fanfics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by last page
“They don’t know we’re not allowed to use magic at home. I’m going to have a lot of fun with Dudley this summer…”
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoS, page 2
“WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU,” thundered his uncle, spraying spit over the table, “ABOUT SAYING THE ‘M’ WORD IN OUR HOUSE?”
That didn't quite go to plan. Interesting it still comes up in quite a lot of fanfics, then.
BTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #12
chaosattractor
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Harry had almost forgotten that the exam results were still to come, but come they did. To their great surprise, both he and Ron passed with good marks;
- Chapter 17
Ron is not an (academic) idiot. He isn't the idiot of the group either; he and Harry get similar marks.
chaosattractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
Rhaegar I
Unspeakable

I find the idea of Fred and George hitting Voldemort with snowballs a lot funnier than I should be.

Also, about the Traps/Puzzles to the Stone: as I understand them, they aren't actually meant to keep Voldemort away from the Stone, but to delay him and eventually keep him trapped in the last room for Dumbledore to get him. The Mirror meant Voldemort was never going to get his hands on the Stone, and Harry's protection meant Voldemort was incapable of actually harming Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorah Mormont
Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar lived.
Rhaegar I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #14
Xepheria
DA Member
The Benefactor

Quote:
More random observations on my part:

I can confirm that the Philosopher's Stone also has the line 'Potter for President' - it flows better than 'Potter for Prime Minister' anyway. Too many syllables in the latter.

I find it quite interesting that Lee Jordan is the commentator for the school's quidditch matches at the age of 13/14, rather than an older student - he's also shown to be pretty good at it, implying that he might've had the position in second year too.

Almost feeling the urge to do a one-shot where his voice breaks in the middle of a match.

Find me on Steam as xp3r1a.

Last edited by Xepheria; 11-08-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Xepheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #15
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

It could also be referring to President of a club, although that's a bit thin and based on my old uni fencing club.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #16
Majube
Fifth Year

Older students are usually announcers, but it's likely that a Seventh year trained him up in his Second year. Wondering now, when Luna made her debut did she and Jordan co-announce. I don't think so, so thas a wee bit off.
So, when I first read Harry Potter it took me somewhere around 2 hours to finish the first book. How long did it take you all? And how long did it take on the reread? Meaning did you speed through it more or spend more time trying to absorb it all.

Last edited by Majube; 11-08-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Majube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

A couple of things caught my eye in chapters 11 and 12.

Rereading Lee's quidditch commentary makes me realise that I can't think of any fanfic that tries to mimic it in quidditch scenes - which might explain why such scenes are often so tedious.

Quote:
...said Snape silkily
I don't quite know why, but I love this bit - there's just something about it that perfectly conveys tone of voice, expression...even the way he's standing. Not sure I could explain it, but there it is.

Quote:
A hundred fat, roast turkeys...
This makes me wonder just how many students stay at Hogwarts over the holidays. Even if you assume that Hagrid eats more than most people - even if you assume he's eating five whole turkeys himself - that seems an excessive amount of food. It's not like turkeys are small birds.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #18
Skykes
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Skykes Send a message via Yahoo to Skykes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post

This makes me wonder just how many students stay at Hogwarts over the holidays. Even if you assume that Hagrid eats more than most people - even if you assume he's eating five whole turkeys himself - that seems an excessive amount of food. It's not like turkeys are small birds.
You can probably chalk this one up to unreliable narrator. Harry was never given as much as he would have liked to eat, this is his first time experiencing a big feast. Maybe it was 10-20 Turkeys but it seemed like more to Harry.
Skykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #19
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

Reading it again, Snape refereeing the match seems a bit weird. Obviously, it's supposed to be suspicious, and then you're supposed to look back and realise he's just looking out for Harry - but then Rowling makes a big thing of Dumbledore being there, so nothing can happen. That suggests that Snape is acting independently, which is fair enough at this stage, but we know from DH that Dumbledore was telling Snape to keep an eye on Quirrell, which would seem to contradict that theory.

Also, Neville is puzzled by Ron and Hermione bringing their wands to the match, suggesting that people don't habitually carry their wands. Interesting little snippet - on a related note, Ron keeps his in his sleeve, which I think various people on here have debunked as impractical.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #20
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Yep. I compared it to sticking the standard 30cm ruler up your sleeve -- without magical enhancements, it's uncomfortable and annoying as hell. Clearly, Rowling did not stick a ruler up her sleeve, experimentally.
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote