Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Politics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

View Poll Results: How did you vote?
I voted for Trump, I agree with his politics. 8 2.55%
I voted for Hillary, I agree with her politics. 59 18.79%
I voted for Trump, I disagree with Hillary's politics. 13 4.14%
I voted for Hillary, I disagree with Trump's politics. 38 12.10%
I voted independent. 16 5.10%
I did not vote. 26 8.28%
[NON US CITIZEN]I would have voted for Trump, I agree with his politics. 12 3.82%
[NON US CITIZEN]I would have voted for Hillary, I agree with her politics. 42 13.38%
[NON US CITIZEN]I would have voted for Trump, I disagree with Hillary's politics. 23 7.32%
[NON US CITIZEN]I would have voted for Hillary, I disagree with Trump's politics. 77 24.52%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2016, 04:48 AM   #1
Jon
Administrator
The Ḑ͉͙̫̑̂ͮ̎̍͒̽̉̆̀ͅȇ̱̯̘̖̾͐͐͂͢m̴̢͙̟̤̤̝̍ͫ͂̏̒́͘o̒n

Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
Who did you vote for?

The poll is anonymous.

From an outsiders perspective I'm curious about how many of you voted for who, and why.

If you feel like posting your reasoning I'm happy to hear it, but it isn't required.

By request I've added NON-US Citizen options if you want to say who you WOULD HAVE voted for if you were allowed to vote in the election.

FFN Profile || WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB || Patronus

"Jon's fics are kinda like children in a way.
Bright, pretty, smart—children that any father would kill to have.
And he just tells them he needs to buy a pack of cigarettes."

—Lungs, 2015
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:43 AM   #2
apoc
The Once and Ginger King

>I voted for Hillary, I agree with her politics.

I like policy proposals that are sane, reasonable, and realistic. I believe that these policies need to be fueled by facts and statistics and evidence. My primary interest is foreign policy in which she far exceeded all other candidates in competency.

This would have been enough for me to vote for her under most situations. However the cherry on top of my choice was that her opponent was the furthest candidate imaginable from every single one of these things.
apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-10-2016, 05:45 AM   #3
Innomine
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,500
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
Can those of us who are not from the US vote as if we were? Or would you prefer this to be for US only members?
Innomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:14 AM   #4
Nemrut
Unspeakable
The Black Mage

High Score: 2,101
Don't think it's a good idea for us non Americans to change the actual vote count, but maybe add two extra options?

Signature done by Palindrome

Nemrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:15 AM   #5
Jon
Administrator

Ideally it'd just be the US citizens, but if you post that you aren't a US Citizen and why you would have voted then go for it.

It'll let us still deduce the correct data.

I'll add extra options.

—Lungs, 2015
Old 11-10-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
Jon
Administrator

There we go, we can have the best of both worlds.

—Lungs, 2015
Thumbs Up 5 thumbs up
Old 11-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
atlas_hugged
Fourth Year

I voted Gary Johnson. I agree with most of his policies, with the real standout being the environment. I preferred Jill Stein's policies on the environment more. A vote for trump or clinton in Alabama was a waste, so I voted third party to hopefully encourage alternative political policies in the future. Given the poor third party turnout, I doubt this will happen, but I don't have any regrets about the decision.

The local referendum were much more satisfying and important to vote for. Alabama got a minor dose of constitutional reform this year.
atlas_hugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #8
Anarchy
Heir

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Voted for Hillary. It's hard to take Trump seriously when he thinks climate change is a Chinese conspiracy. Climate change is one of the most critical things happening right now, so I guess we have to hope that his advisors can talk some sense into him in regards to it.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
Peter North
Chief Warlock

I voted for Hillary because I felt her policies made more sense than Trump's. She also seems to respect the people around her.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Azira
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
And here we have the thread that will prove this place is an echo chamber :3

I picked the last option, FWIW. She would have been the lesser evil, but an evil nonetheless.
Azira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

If by echo chamber, you don't mean echo chamber, then yes.

I mean. That the board has a (in US terms) liberal tilt in terms of member distribution is hardly news. I prefer to call it a rational tilt, but nevermind that -- people are smart enough to realise that, so where's the chamber? It's not like anyone here uses DLP as their one and only news source. I hope.

And since we evidently are having discussions for longer than one page (someone brings up a topic, the rest agrees), that "echo" isn't all it's cracked up to be, either.
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #12
Imariel
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesc View Post
If by echo chamber, you don't mean echo chamber, then yes.

I mean. That the board has a (in US terms) liberal tilt in terms of member distribution is hardly news. I prefer to call it a rational tilt, but nevermind that -- people are smart enough to realise that, so where's the chamber? It's not like anyone here uses DLP as their one and only news source. I hope.

And since we evidently are having discussions for longer than one page (someone brings up a topic, the rest agrees), that "echo" isn't all it's cracked up to be, either.
It's more that the majority is generally agreed, while we have some directly and greatly opposed aswell as nitpicking within the majority on semantics and minor issues. I.e. me in the larger thread.
Imariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #13
Erotic Adventures of S
The Chosen One

Why does a Harry Potter fanfic site that originally catered to dark indy Harrys lead so heavily left I wonder. Partly its because of age I would guess, but considering the USA was split pretty evenily, we are not.

Nothing. It will never come. Death before defeat. You can kill me, destroy my soul, destroy my magic, but you cannot defeat me. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. And you may destroy my magic, but not before I destroy everything of this world that I can…including your magic and soul. There is no defeat.
Erotic Adventures of S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Peter North
Chief Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erotic Adventures of S View Post
Why does a Harry Potter fanfic site that originally catered to dark indy Harrys lead so heavily left I wonder. Partly its because of age I would guess, but considering the USA was split pretty evenily, we are not.
I've never met a Republican who actually likes Harry Potter fanfiction.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #15
Agayek
Supreme Mugwump

I didn't vote for President, as I see both candidates as absolutely fucking godawful, but if someone had put a gun to my head and demanded I vote for one of them, I would have voted for Trump. I'm a libertarian at heart, and while neither party truly furthers my beliefs, the Republicans are generally much closer than the Democrats. Not to mention the fact that I despise the monied interests that have been categorically fucking over the US for the last few decades, and seeing the candidate they have poured billions of dollars into lose is something that brings me no end of joy.

Also, I find it immensely satisfying that the smug, sneering leftist intelligentsia's constant condescension to everyone who disagrees with them has finally bit them in the ass.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #16
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erotic Adventures of S View Post
Age, sure. And no, it's not an even split for our age group at all. 55% Clinton, 37% Trump for under 30-year-olds.

That aside, like I said, a rational tilt. "Morons need not apply" maps directly to "reality has a liberal bias", because it favours a certain degree of education. Do the same survey on FF.net, and I'm almost sure it's much more even.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imariel View Post
It's more that the majority is generally agreed, while we have some directly and greatly opposed aswell as nitpicking within the majority on semantics and minor issues. I.e. me in the larger thread.
Well, yes. Generally agreed in the sense that if two people use the same premise and apply logic, the outcome is similar. The difference then would be in basic values, and if most people agree on those basic values, they mostly agree on the outcome. Our gun discussion thread is an example of where that isn't the case and the values differ. What we indeed don't have is nonsensical arguments based on untruths, but I don't think we are missing much, there.
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #17
Erotic Adventures of S
The Chosen One

I don't know, with so much slash I would think it is pro gay rights and thus socially left.

Nothing. It will never come. Death before defeat. You can kill me, destroy my soul, destroy my magic, but you cannot defeat me. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. And you may destroy my magic, but not before I destroy everything of this world that I can…including your magic and soul. There is no defeat.
Erotic Adventures of S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #18
bob99
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agayek View Post
Also, I find it immensely satisfying that the smug, sneering leftist intelligentsia's constant condescension to everyone who disagrees with them has finally bit them in the ass.
Honestly, Trump basically validates everything the left has been accusing the far right of though.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #19
Agayek
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob99 View Post
Honestly, Trump basically validates everything the left has been accusing the far right of though.
This entire election honestly came down to the right finally going "Well you keep calling me a racist no matter what, so fuck you, I'm gonna embrace it."

That's what I mean by it finally biting them in the ass; If Hillary's campaign's primary message wasn't "Everyone who supports Trump belongs in the basket of deplorables", if the media hadn't spent the entire time banging on about how awful Trump is and how the people who support him are such terrible people, if we could have had a conversation on the merits of supporting Trump without it immediately devolving into accusations of -ism and -phobia, he would have had orders of magnitude less support.

Surprise surprise, people get tired of being regularly ignored and then insulted and looked down on when their complaints and issues finally get some attention.

All Clinton had to do to clinch the election by a landslide was talk to the Rust Belt on issues they've been dealing with for 30+ years; the constant failure of the system to help them, the lack of jobs, the wage depression, etc.

Clinton actually had a really good proposal for infrastructure repair and advancement that would have brought thousands, possibly even millions (assuming she could get the funding), of jobs to the Rust Belt. That plan would have secured her the vote in PA, MI, and probably WI at minimum, but no one on the right ever heard about it. All they heard was "fuck you, go crawl back into your cave you filthy troglodyte".

So of course they supported Trump. He was the only one speaking to the issues they were facing and treating them like actual people instead of mustachioed caricatures of fucking Hitler.

That's why it's so immensely satisfying to me to see Trump elected. The fucktarded idiots who've spent years demonizing everyone that disagrees with their politics have finally been hit with a dose of reality. I hope it's a lesson they take to heart, but I'm not expecting much there, unfortunately.

Last edited by Agayek; 11-10-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Agayek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #20
atlas_hugged
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agayek View Post
I hope it's a lesson they take to heart, but I'm not expecting much there, unfortunately.
From what I've seen, everyone in the larger world seems to be doubling down on their insults.
atlas_hugged is offline   Reply With Quote