Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 11-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
BTT
Auror

Week 5: Prisoner of Azkaban, Ch. 1-7

New week, new thread. Here we go again.

---------- Post automerged at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 4
They had been murdered, murdered by the most feared Dark wizard for a hundred years, Lord Voldemort.
Voldemort's more feared than Grindlewald was, straight from canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 5
It’s amazing here in Egypt. Bill’s taken us around all the tombs and you wouldn’t believe the curses those old Egyptian wizards put on them. Mum wouldn’t let Ginny come in the last one. There were all these mutant skeletons in there, of Muggles who’d broken in and grown extra heads and stuff.
Mutant skeletons? Neato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 6
Percy, who was in his seventh and final year at Hogwarts, was looking particularly smug. He had pinned his Head Boy badge to the fez perched jauntily on top of his neat hair,
Percy wears fedoras. Somehow I'm not too surprised.
EDIT: not a fedora, but a different genre of silly hat entirely. My bad.

Quote:
’m on holiday in France at the moment and I didn’t know how I was going to send this to you — what if they’d opened it at customs?
Either wizards have customs offices for owls or Hermione's making a joke.

Harry almost made it to the end of Marge's stay. What a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 21
With a yell, he rolled back onto the pavement, just in time. A second later, a gigantic pair of wheels and headlights screeched to a halt exactly where Harry had just been lying.
Seriously, they almost drove over Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 23
“How come the Muggles don’t hear the bus?” said Harry.

“Them!” said Stan contemptuously. “Don’ listen properly, do they? Don’ look properly either. Never notice nuffink, they don’.”
You know, I'd always considered his arrest to be wrongful, but this sentence might mean Stan Shunpike was an actual Death Eater at some point. I mean, if Cedric apparently would've become one if not for dying, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 29
“I broke the law!” Harry said. “The Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry!”
“Oh, my dear boy, we’re not going to punish you for a little thing like that!”
Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 37
a fat white rabbit kept changing into a silk top hat and back again with a loud popping noise.
It's little things like this that make the books so fun, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 38
Black’s not going to be caught by a thirteen-year-old wizard
Sounds like Arthur doesn't share Ron's prophetic abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 40
“Second Head Boy in the family!” she said, swelling with pride.
“And last,” Fred muttered under his breath.
“I don’t doubt that,” said Mrs. Weasley, frowning suddenly. “I notice they haven’t made you two prefects.”
She says that, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOTP
“There’s been a mistake,” said Fred, snatching the letter out of Ron’s grasp and holding it up to the light as though checking for a watermark. “No one in their right mind would make Ron a prefect.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by page 44
“I’m not going to be murdered,” Harry said out loud.
“That’s the spirit, dear,” said his mirror sleepily.
This is one of my favorite lines from the whole book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 45
“At least I can get away from Percy at Hogwarts. Now he’s accusing me of dripping tea on his photo of Penelope Clearwater. You know,” Ron grimaced, “his girlfriend. She’s hidden her face under the frame because her nose has gone all blotchy…”
So it turns out making some change to the state of a magical photograph actually has a lasting influence on the inhabitants. We know the same about paintings, with Sirius' "attack" on the Gryffindor dorms. This is maybe the only bit of evidence we have that magical photos and magical paintings work on the same mechanisms, and we know that magical photographs become moving through the application of a special potion (because Colin said so in CoS).
It's not unreasonable to conclude, therefore, that paintings also become moving through the application of this potion. The question is, we see painted people move from painting to painting without issue yet never really see the same for photographs that I can recall (although they can duck out of frame). So is there an additional charm or potion for paintings that allows them free passage between frames, or do they not work on the same mechanism at all?

Compared to the mods Arthur did on the Anglia those we see on the Ministry cars seem simple in comparision.
Also interesting: there's official Ministry drivers, with their own (emerald green) uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 51
Ron was about to answer back when Professor Lupin stirred. They watched him apprehensively, but he simply turned his head the other way, mouth slightly open, and slept on.
This is probably when he woke up. I still wonder why he was on the train in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 61
Professor Snape, the Potions master, was staring along the staff table at Professor Lupin. It was common knowledge that Snape wanted the Defense Against the Dark Arts job, but even Harry, who hated Snape, was startled at the expression twisting his thin, sallow face. it was beyond anger: it was loathing. Harry knew that expression only too well; it was the look Snape wore every time he set eyes on Harry.
Gosh, I wonder why....

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 63
Dad had to go out to Azkaban one time, remember, Fred?
Huh. What reason could Mr. Weasley have had to go to Azkaban?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 64
Just then, Hagrid entered the Great Hall. He was wearing his long moleskin overcoat and was absent-mindedly swinging a dead polecat from one enormous hand.
What the fuck, Hagrid?
By the way, this reminded me of Teh Sparkly Hufflepuff, where Hagrid wielded wolfchucks. Go read that if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 67
"You, boy,” she said suddenly to Neville, who almost toppled off his pouf. “Is your grandmother well?"
Augusta is perfectly fine, as far as we know. 0 for 1.

Quote:
By the way, my dear,” she shot suddenly at Parvati Patil, “beware a red haired man.”
Parvati and Ron never really interact, and we never hear about any other red-heads she interacts with. Calling this a 0 for 2.

Quote:
Unfortunately, classes will be disrupted in February by a nasty bout of flu. I myself will lose my voice. And around Easter, one of our number will leave us forever.”
Dunno about the flu or the voice, so I'll not mark those, and the Easter bit is true. 1/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 68
it will happen on Friday the sixteenth of October.
True enough. 2/4

Quote:
Oh, and dear”—she caught Neville by the arm as he made to stand up—“after you’ve broken your first cup, would you be so kind as to select one of the blue patterned ones? I’m rather attached to the pink.”
True enough. She could've picked this one up from Snape complaining about Neville's clumsiness, but still true. 3/5.

Quote:
“Right, you’ve got a crooked sort of cross…” He consulted Unfogging the Future. “That means you’re going to have ‘trials and suffering’—sorry about that—but there’s a thing that could be the sun… hang on… that means ‘great happiness’… so you’re going to suffer but be very happy…”
Don't think that happens. Sure, Ron suffers, but I don't think he really becomes very happy - unless the potions high for his leg counts? Let's say 0.5/1 for Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 69
“Maybe you’re going to work for the Ministry of Magic…”
True! 1/1 for Ron.

Quote:
‘A windfall, unexpected gold.’ Excellent, you can lend me some.
B-but Ron doesn't like it when Harry lends him money! Also true, with Sirius buying Harry his Firebolt. 2/2 for Ron.

Quote:
“The falcon… my dear, you have a deadly enemy.”
True. As Hermione notes, Voldemort is his enemy and can certainly be called deadly. 4/6

Quote:
“The club… an attack.
Could refer to Sirius' attack on the dorm, but also Lupin nearly going all Wagga Wagga Werewolf on Harry's ass. I'd count it as true, in any case. 5/7

Quote:
“The skull… danger in your path, my dear…”
Could be a lot of things. 6/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 70
“The Grim, my dear, the Grim!” cried Professor Trelawney, who looked shocked that Harry hadn’t understood. “The giant, spectral dog that haunts churchyards! My dear boy, it is an omen—the worst omen—of death!”
No one dies in this book, but I suppose Sirius did die. Not much of a prediction, in my opinion. 6/9

Quote:
she pointed at Neville—“you’ll be late next time, so mind you work extra hard to catch up.”
Final prediction of the section. Unknown.

So Trelawney's actually relatively accurate, but only because she's so vague in everything. Ron's correct on both predictions; this isn't an isolated thing, either, last book he predicted Riddle murdered Myrtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 71
She stopped again, and then said, in a very matter-of-fact tone, “You look in excellent health to me, Potter, so you will excuse me if I don’t let you off homework today. I assure you that if you die, you need not hand it in.”
McGonagall is rather underrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 81
They were making a new potion today, a Shrinking Solution.
This was the Potion they had to write about during the summer, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 92
“What would [the boggart] have been for you?” said Ron, sniggering. “A piece of homework that only got nine out of ten?”
REKT

Last edited by Palindrome; 12-10-2016 at 04:37 AM.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT View Post
REKT
What does that mean?
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #3
BTT
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter North View Post
What does that mean?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rekt
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:22 AM   #4
Agent One
Fourth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Parvati and Ron never really interact, and we never hear about any other red-heads she interacts with. Calling this a 0 for 2.
Could be referring to Padma (Parvati's Twin) and her time with Ron at the Yule Ball.

Agent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #5
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
Quote:

Quote:
Percy, who was in his seventh and final year at Hogwarts, was looking particularly smug. He had pinned his Head Boy badge to the fez perched jauntily on top of his neat hair,
Percy wears fedoras. Somehow I'm not too surprised.
Not a fedora - this is a fez. And it's quite a strange thing to wear.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by page 64
Just then, Hagrid entered the Great Hall. He was wearing his long moleskin overcoat and was absent-mindedly swinging a dead polecat from one enormous hand.
What the fuck, Hagrid?
By the way, this reminded me of Teh Sparkly Hufflepuff, where Hagrid wielded wolfchucks. Go read that if you haven't already.
Oh god, that. Your post actually did make me go read it again - it's still just as absurd and still good for a few laughs even now. I think that line you quoted actually was the inspiration for that bit, come to think of it.

(Here's a link to the Hipshit, if anyone's curious: [link])

Quote:
Quote:
“Right, you’ve got a crooked sort of cross…” He consulted Unfogging the Future. “That means you’re going to have ‘trials and suffering’—sorry about that—but there’s a thing that could be the sun… hang on… that means ‘great happiness’… so you’re going to suffer but be very happy…”
Don't think that happens. Sure, Ron suffers, but I don't think he really becomes very happy - unless the potions high for his leg counts? Let's say 0.5/1 for Harry.
You could take it as a sort of general prediction for Ron's life if you wanted to. He faces a lot of trials but comes out on top of it all in the end.

Quote:
Quote:
“The Grim, my dear, the Grim!” cried Professor Trelawney, who looked shocked that Harry hadn’t understood. “The giant, spectral dog that haunts churchyards! My dear boy, it is an omen—the worst omen—of death!”
No one dies in this book, but I suppose Sirius did die. Not much of a prediction, in my opinion. 6/9
People usually take this prediction to be true. Just... not in the way Trelawney interpreted it. The grim is a black dog - and instead of meaning death it literally just predicts that Sirius is going to show up. This is played with a lot when Harry sees Sirius lurking around in dog form and assumes he's seeing the grim.

I thought your analysis of all the predictions was really interesting. I think I've heard a fan theory or two somewhere about Ron actually being a really good seer?

I found some interesting things while looking:

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
Sataniel
Second Year

Quote:
So it turns out making some change to the state of a magical photograph actually has a lasting influence on the inhabitants. We know the same about paintings, with Sirius' "attack" on the Gryffindor dorms. This is maybe the only bit of evidence we have that magical photos and magical paintings work on the same mechanisms, and we know that magical photographs become moving through the application of a special potion (because Colin said so in CoS).
It's not unreasonable to conclude, therefore, that paintings also become moving through the application of this potion. The question is, we see painted people move from painting to painting without issue yet never really see the same for photographs that I can recall (although they can duck out of frame). So is there an additional charm or potion for paintings that allows them free passage between frames, or do they not work on the same mechanism at all?
It seems that they don't. The paintings are make alive by adding enchantments and reflect painters perception of the subject. Also paintings can be taught by their subjects to mimic them better.
(Pottermore: Hogwarts Portraits)

I wonder how this works with multiple portraits thingy. Does painted person's personality change depending on which of their pictures are they in? Or is it composite? Can you troll by hiring people who hate given person to paint their portraits?
Old 11-30-2016, 04:02 AM   #7
Glimmervoid
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post
It seems that they don't. The paintings are make alive by adding enchantments and reflect painters perception of the subject. Also paintings can be taught by their subjects to mimic them better.
(Pottermore: Hogwarts Portraits)

I wonder how this works with multiple portraits thingy. Does painted person's personality change depending on which of their pictures are they in? Or is it composite? Can you troll by hiring people who hate given person to paint their portraits?
Maybe multiple portraits require the portraits to be multiple prints of the same painting - not just portraits of the same person.
Glimmervoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
Rhaegar I
Unspeakable

Random question: in hindsight, was it really the best idea to expose all the kids to each other's worst fears? Some of them are harmless enough, like Ron and his spiders. But what if there was one that was either really embarrasing, really personal, or genuinely horrifying. While Harry is an extreme example, he still nearly exposed a bunch of thirteen year olds to either Voldemort or a dementor. And is anyone else wondering if a thirteen year old Lupin had to worry about his classmates figuring out his worst fear is the full moon?

I get the idea behind showing them a boggart: both to face fears and know how to deal with a pest that could look a lot worst than it is. But maybe it would have been better as a private thing for each individual student?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorah Mormont
Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar lived.
Rhaegar I is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaegar I View Post
Random question: in hindsight, was it really the best idea to expose all the kids to each other's worst fears? Some of them are harmless enough, like Ron and his spiders. But what if there was one that was either really embarrasing, really personal, or genuinely horrifying. While Harry is an extreme example, he still nearly exposed a bunch of thirteen year olds to either Voldemort or a dementor. And is anyone else wondering if a thirteen year old Lupin had to worry about his classmates figuring out his worst fear is the full moon?

I get the idea behind showing them a boggart: both to face fears and know how to deal with a pest that could look a lot worst than it is. But maybe it would have been better as a private thing for each individual student?
I see where your coming from however I think Lupin seemed like a reasonable enough person that if a student had asked not to face the boggart I'm sure he would have been fine with it. Also at thirteen years old the chance for kids to prove to themselves and others as being tough probably would have been enough to keep them from leaving the lesson.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Old 11-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #10
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Chapter 1: Owl Post

Quote:
Harry had crept downstairs, picked the lock on the cupboard
Good to see he's paying attention to the twins lessons.

Quote:
The Dursleys had completely ignored his last two birthdays
Which begs the question of why they sent him a Christmas present in PS (and CoS? Can't remember). It's presumably not out of any sense of affection. Maybe they're worried about people at Hogwarts getting pissed off with them? Although that doesn't occur to them with their behaviour over the summer.

Quote:
He had pinned his Head Boy badge to the fez perched jauntily on top of his neat hair

Chapter 2: Aunt Marge's Big Mistake

Quote:
They were watching a brand-new television, a welcome-home-for-the-summer present for Dudley
There's two ways of taking this. Either Dudley is even more spoiled than I'd remembered, or they are ridiculously dedicated to treating Harry like dirt. Honestly, this is insane.

Quote:
summary of Aunt Marge being a massive bitch to Harry over the years
I think this summer section makes me think Marge is the worst of the Dursleys. Petunia and Vernon are awful, but they are at least scared; it doesn't excuse it but there's some reasoning behind it. Same for Dudley, although with him it's more that he's following his parents example. Marge? Marge just treats him like dirt because he's an imposition on her brother's family. She's a horrible, horrible person.

Quote:
Harry tore from the dining room before anyone could stop him, heading for the cupboard under the stairs. The cupboard door burst magically open as he reached it.
Another example of Harry consciously manipulating his accidental magic, much as young Tom Riddle presumably did.

Chapter 3: The Knight Bus

Quote:
And the worst of it was, he had just done serious magic, which meant he was almost certainly expelled
All political point scoring aside, both here and in OoTP, can the Ministry tell the difference between accidental magic and deliberate magic? I assume not, given that they can't tell who cast it with Dobby, but that seems like it opens up a whole host of problems - accidental magic seems to more or less stop after you get your wand, based on the examples we see, but, well, accidents happen.

Quote:
Harry was sure that, criminal or not, Ron and Hermione would want to help him
Come Deathly Hallows...

Quote:
"'Choo fall over for?" sniggered Stan
He might not be a Death Eater, but he is a bit of a tosser.

Quote:
Tom clicked his fingers, a fire burst into life in the grate, and he bowed himself out of the room
More wandless magic, which I'd thought largely confined either to PS or to people like Voldemort and Dumbledore.

Chapter 4: The Leaky Cauldron

Quote:
Irish International Side's just put in an order for seven of these...they're favourites for the World Cup!
It obviously paid off.

Quote:
'You know what Harry and Ron are like, wandering off by themselves - they've ended up in the Forbidden Forest twice!'
In fairness, Ron's only been there once. And one of Harry's trips was a detention.

Quote:
'I'm not going to be murdered,' Harry said out loud.
'That's the spirit, dear,' said his mirror sleepily.
It really is a fun running gag.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #11
Dresden11
Squib

I don't think I realized when I first read Prisoner just how bad Marge is. She talks about killing Harry at birth because he is 'defective' just like how she has to kill some of her dogs at birth if the bitch (Lily) is defective. I am honestly surprised she doesn't receive more hate from the fandom.
Dresden11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #12
Rhaegar I
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresden11 View Post
I don't think I realized when I first read Prisoner just how bad Marge is. She talks about killing Harry at birth because he is 'defective' just like how she has to kill some of her dogs at birth if the bitch (Lily) is defective. I am honestly surprised she doesn't receive more hate from the fandom.
Probably because she only appears in one chapter. Harry blew her up, the Ministry takes care of the blowing up and any memory of it, and she's never seen again. It's easy to laugh at her fate and move on, even if what Harry actually did to her was still pretty horrifying for accidental magic against a monstrous woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorah Mormont
Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar lived.
Rhaegar I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #13
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

Chapter 5: The Dementor

Quote:
Why would I go looking for someone I know wants to kill me?
Exhibit A: Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone.

Quote:
"Go away, Ginny," said Ron.
"Oh, that's nice," said Ginny huffily, and stalked off.
Try that again in a couple of books, Ron, I dare you.

Quote:
How thick would Harry have to be, to go looking for a nutter who wants to kill him?
See Exhibit A, above.

Quote:
There was a soft, crackling noise and a shivering light filled the compartment. Professor Lupin appeared to be holding a handful of flames. They illuminated his grey face, but his eyes looked alert and wary.
I'd forgotten this moment, which is a shame, because it's brilliant. Need some light but concerned you might need your wand free? No big deal, just set fire to your hand. It's also an excellent contrast to both the previous DADA teachers; a shabby, inconspicuous man who actually does proper magic.

Quote:
at least a hundred stagecoaches awaited the remaining students, each pulled, Harry could only assume, by an invisible horse
More evidence of Harry's intuitive grasp of magic, or just an excellent guess?

It's the latter

Quote:
'Setting Dementors around a school,' she muttered, pushing Harry's hair back and feeling his forehead. 'He won't be the first who collapses.'
...Yes, he will. Might not be the last, although I don't think we hear about anyone else.

Quote:
'Oh no,' said Neville Longbottom sadly. He always had difficulty remembering the passwords.
Excellent use of a joke to disguise an important plot point.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #14
Duke of Rothwood
Professor

Quote:
You know, I'd always considered his arrest to be wrongful, but this sentence might mean Stan Shunpike was an actual Death Eater at some point. I mean, if Cedric apparently would've become one if not for dying, well...
Wait, what?

Cedric would have become a Death Eater??
Duke of Rothwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #15
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Rothwood View Post
Wait, what?

Cedric would have become a Death Eater??
Yes could someone please put a little more logic behind that statement.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

It's a Cursed Child thing.

In one of the alternate timelines, Cedric becomes so bitter after his failures in the Triwizard Tournament that he joins the Death Eaters and kills Neville Longbottom. Really.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post
It's a Cursed Child thing.

In one of the alternate timelines, Cedric becomes so bitter after his failures in the Triwizard Tournament that he joins the Death Eaters and kills Neville Longbottom. Really.
I see thank you for clearing that up, but I'm going to stick to my head canon about Cedric waking up in a new dimension as a glittery vampire. I think it sounds cooler.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #18
irrelevance
First Year

In Cursed Child, Albus and Scorpius go back in time and humiliate Cedric by sabotaging his Triwizard Task attempts causing him not to be there in the graveyard and thus saving him. However he apparently gets very bitter due to this and joins the Death Eaters, at some point even killing Neville.

Edit: Should have refreshed after reading the thread.

Last edited by irrelevance; 12-02-2016 at 06:25 PM.
irrelevance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #19
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Spoiler tags please.

Last edited by Peter North; 12-02-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #20
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

Why do people always do this. @Peter North, don't quote what you want spoilered.