Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
BTT
Auror

Week 6: Prisoner of Azkaban, Ch. 8-15

AKA: "In which a whole castle hunts a Black man down".

Last edited by Palindrome; 12-13-2016 at 09:57 AM.
BTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 12-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
Euroclydon
High Inquisitor

I've been following along the book club via audio book, so it is sort of a bother for me to make direct quotations. Anyway, chapter 10.

Near the end, when Fudge, McGonagall, Hagrid, Flitwick, and Rosemarta are discussing the particulars of Black's capture Fudge says that only a group of trained Hit Wizards would have been equipped to take on Black. I recall that hitwizards were kind of popular for a bit in the fandom, I dont remember what the general consensus was as far as their place in the DMLE and relation to Aurors. From that particular line, I get the impression that Aurors are your Detectives (which is how I've typically seen them portrayed) and hitwizards are more so your SWAT guys.

Also, when Harry goes through the hunchback witch secret honeydukes passage way it involves 200ish stairs and an hour or so long walk. I always assumed that that passage way was a bit shorter than that.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
BTT
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 107
One casual wave of his wand and the long tables flew to the edges of the hall and stood themselves against the walls; another wave, and the floor was covered with hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags.
Clearly conjuration lasts for a while, since it lasts the entire night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 108
“Because the castle’s protected by more than walls, you know,” said Hermione. “There are all
sorts of enchantments on it, to stop people entering by stealth. You can’t just Apparate in here.
"Enchantments", not wards. Important difference? You decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 110
The school talked of nothing but Sirius Black for the next few days. The theories about how he had entered the castle became wilder and wilder; Hannah Abbott, from Hufflepuff, spent much of their next Herbology class telling anyone who’d listen that Black could turn into a flowering shrub.
Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 111
They’ve got a new Captain and Seeker, Cedric Diggory—”

Angelina, Alicia, and Katie suddenly giggled.

“What?” said Wood, frowning at this lighthearted behavior.

“He’s that tall, good looking one, isn’t he?” said Angelina.

“Strong and silent,” said Katie, and they started to giggle again.

“He’s only silent because he’s too thick to string two words together,” said Fred impatiently.
I'd honestly forgotten Diggory was mentioned at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 127
This map showed a set of passages he had never entered. And many of them seemed to lead — “Right into Hogsmeade,” said Fred (...)
And we don’t reckon anyone’s ever used this one, because the Whomping Willow’s planted right over the entrance.
Riiight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 128
This figure was standing exactly where the real Harry was standing, about halfway down the third-floor corridor. Harry watched carefully. His little Ink self appeared to be tapping the witch with his minute wand.
I'd forgotten the Map did this, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 135
“An immensely complex spell,” he said squeakily, “involving the magical concealment of a secret inside a single, living soul. The information is hidden inside the chosen person, or Secret-Keeper, and is henceforth impossible to find — unless, of course, the Secret-Keeper chooses to divulge it. As long as the Secret-Keeper refused to speak, You-Know-Who could search the village where Lily and James were staying for years and never find them, not even if he had his nose pressed against their sitting room window!”
So it's not just a location, it's any secret. It's also interesting that it isn't clear if it concealed the Potter's residence, or concealed that it was the Potters'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 137
“You don’t know what you’re talking about, Hagrid,” said Fudge sharply. “Nobody but trained Hit Wizards from the Magical Law Enforcement Squad would have stood a chance against Black once he was cornered. I was Junior Minister in the Department of Magical Catastrophes at the time, and I was one of the first on the scene after Black murdered all those people. I—I will never forget it. I still dream about it sometimes. A crater in the middle of the street, so deep it had cracked the sewer below. Bodies everywhere. Muggles screaming. And Black standing there laughing, with what was left of Pettigrew in front of him… a heap of bloodstained robes and a few—a few fragments—”
Apparently it's Hit Wizards, not Aurors, that are the ones that bring people (dark wizards?) in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 150
“Crackers!” said Dumbledore enthusiastically, offering the end of a large silver noisemaker to Snape, who took it reluctantly and tugged. With a bang like a gunshot, the cracker flew apart to reveal a large, pointed witches hat topped with a stuffed vulture.
Dumbledore: banterminator extraordinaire.

As a pet owner, I must say Hermione's continual refusal of the idea that her pet might eat Ron's proves she is a cunt of the highest possible order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 170
“Penelope and I have got a bet on,” he told the team. “Ten Galleons on the outcome of the match!”
Penelope put the Firebolt down again, thanked Harry, and went back to her table.
“Harry—make sure you win,” said Percy, in an urgent whisper. “I haven’t got ten Galleons.
Oh, Percy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 170
“Sure you can manage that broom, Potter?” said a cold, drawling voice.
Draco Malfoy had arrived for a closer look, Crabbe and Goyle right behind him.
“Yeah, reckon so,” said Harry casually.
“Got plenty of special features, hasn’t it?” said Malfoy, eyes glittering maliciously. “Shame it doesn’t come with a parachute—in case you get too near a Dementor.”
Crabbe and Goyle sniggered.
“Pity you can’t attach an extra arm to yours, Malfoy,” said Harry. “Then it could catch the Snitch for you.”
SAVAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 178
Throughout the day, everywhere they went they saw signs of tighter security; Professor Flitwick could be seen teaching the front doors to recognize a large picture of Sirius Black;
Huh. Wonder how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 190
“Professor Severus Snape, master of this school, commands you to yield the information you conceal!” Snape said, hitting the map with his wand.
This bit's quite remarkable. Not only for the "master", but that this appears to confer actual magical authority on Snape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 194
Harry and Ron both made furious moves toward Malfoy, but Hermione got there first — SMACK!
She had slapped Malfoy across the face with all the strength she could muster. Malfoy staggered.
Hermione keeping the pimp hand strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 202
Behind the Slytherin goal posts, however, two hundred people were wearing green;
Either outside visitors can come see Hogwarts Quidditch games or Slytherin's a hell of a lot larger than I thought.

The Quidditch match against Slytherin reminds me that Derrick and Bole are two separate characters, and not one person named Derek Bole (or Derrick Bole.)
BTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
Peter North
Chief Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 178
Throughout the day, everywhere they went they saw signs of tighter security; Professor Flitwick could be seen teaching the front doors to recognize a large picture of Sirius Black;
It's a pity Flitwick never taught them to keep students inside the school.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #5
IAmJustAnotherGuy
Seventh Year

I am not a huge fan of Mary GrandPre but I love the artwork for Chapter 9 (Grim Defeat)
IAmJustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
I did up to chapter eight in the last thread for some reason, so repeating myself a little:

Chapter 8: Flight of the Fat Lady

Quote:
Crookshanks slowly chewed up the spider, his yellow eyes fixed insolently on Ron
Hard to argue that Crookshanks was anything other than a dick to Ron, really. Also: I named my late cat Crookshanks, and this is exactly the sort of thing he would have done.

Quote:
Well, look at it logically,' said Hermione, turning to the rest of the group.
It wasn't just HBP she was tactless.

Chapter 9: Grim Defeat

Quote:
Filch has done the dungeons
What, precisely, would Filch have done if he had found Sirius? Beaten him up with a broom? Soaked him in magical bleach?

Quote:
Scene with McGonagall pointing out it's too dangerous for Harry to be out of the castle after dark, but being swayed because Quidditch

Quote:
Why couldn't Black have hidden in Snape's office, eh? He could have finished him off for us!
Actually one of the few possible crimes suggested for Sirius that he might have been tempted to carry out.

Quote:
At least a hundred Dementors...were standing below
I'd always pictured Dementors as floating rather than walking about or standing. Probably because of the PoA film, which I love.

Chapter 10: The Marauder's Map

I'm intrigued by the fact that Fudge just casually drops into the Three Broomsticks with no guards, and clearly knows Madame Rosmerta pretty well, and knows about her business. You'd think the leader of the wizarding community would have at least a bit of security with him, particularly when a known terrorist has been seen in the area very recently. You can handwave that by the fact that he's accompanied by McGonagall - very talented witch in general - Flitwick - former Duelling Champion - and Hagrid - half-giant badass - but still. With his friendly discussion with Rosmerta, it contributes to the idea that the wizarding world, on a national scale at least, is actually pretty small.

Quote:
You don't know what you're talking about, Hagrid...Nobody but trained Hit Wizards...would have stood a chance against Black once he was cornered...I was one of the first on the scene after Black murdered those people...I still dream about it sometimes.
Couple of things here. Firstly, I wonder whether Hagrid actually would have stood a decent chance against the type of magic Pettigrew was slinging around. We know he's resistant to magic, after all, and generally rather more resilient than even other wizards.
Secondly, it occurs to me that there's a decent character motivation for Fudge's refusal to acknowledge Voldemort's return - we all know he's scared, of course, but I'd forgotten that he had first hand experience of some of those attacks. He's seen what it can be like. It's a nice little bit of nuance to him.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #7
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Chapter 11: The Firebolt

Quote:
I've just been to see McGonagall about the Firebolt. She, er, got a bit shirty with me. Told me I'd got my priorities wrong. She seemed to think I cared more about winning the Cup than I do about you staying alive.
Remember a few chapters ago, when she tries to tell Harry he shouldn't practice after dark but she was swayed by the thought of winning the Cup?

Chapter 12: The Patronus

Quote:
Something from the Three Broomsticks, you won't have tried it yet...
I'd always thought, and I think it's usually portrayed in fanfic as being a common Wizarding drink, but this suggests it's a speciality of the Three Broomsticks.

Chapter 13: Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw

Quote:
Shame it doesn't come with a parachute - in case you get too near a Dementor
This seems a very Muggle reference for Draco to be making. Perhaps it's something he's picked up from Martin Miggs the Mad Muggle (or whatever it's called)? Or maybe he has a stash of Muggle Studies textbooks tucked discreetly under his mattress.

Chapter 14: Snape's Grudge

Quote:
A bunch of burly security trolls had been hired to guard her. They paced the corridor in a menacing group, talking in grunts and comparing the size of their clubs.
This suggests that trolls have at least some level of intelligence, and aren't just mindless monsters.

Quote:
They went to the Post Office
As a Post Office employee myself, I can't help but wonder what it would be like working there. Customers spicing up their complaints about lost mail with a few hexes? What's the compensation on lost mail? How much mail gets sent, given that an owl can probably only carry one parcel at a time, dependent on size? Etc etc.

Quote:
Map insulting Snape
So...does the Map simply insult anyone in this fashion if they try to use it without the activation phrase, and it addresses Snape by name/title because he's identified himself? Or did they hate him so much that they programmed this in specially for him?

Chapter 15: The Quidditch Final

Quote:
'Around Easter, one of our number will leave us for ever!' You said it ages ago, Professor!
Given that she predicts one death per class per year, how likely is it that someone just gives up around the same time every year?

Quote:
He was flying at breakneck speed, trying to avoid a spurt of flames from Malfoy's steed's mouth
Given the events of the First Task, this is eerily prescient.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:03 AM   #8
torrent56
First Year

I wish we could have seen the conversation Ron and Hermione had by themselves after it was revealed in chapter 10 that Sirius was the one who supposedly betrayed Harry’s parents especially as Harry even recognised that they must have rehearsed their conversation beforehand. It would also be interesting to know exactly how Hermione coped with the estrangement from her best and probably only friends. My guess is that she became more focused on her schoolwork to compensate.

With regards to the cat-rat fight here, it is amazing how many in the fandom continue to claim she did nothing wrong here at all and it was all that horrible Ron’s fault. Hermione even saw herself how her cat was chasing after that rat and presumably trying to eat it and all she said was that, then she got angry that Ron tried to kick Crookshanks to stop it from going after Scabbers any further.

In chapter 12-14 I am constantly amazed at how little Harry appear to miss Hermione’s company considering they were estranged for around two months if not longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT View Post
Riiight.
The twins have also been rather negligent in another way namely by consistently failing to spot Peter Pettigrew on the Map even though he was in their brother’s dormitory the whole time.
Quote:
So it's not just a location, it's any secret. It's also interesting that it isn't clear if it concealed the Potter's residence, or concealed that it was the Potters'.
Agreed. It’s also unclear how the secret is concealed? What exactly happens when someone else attempted to divulge the secret?
Quote:
Oh, Percy.
I wonder what kind of fallout Percy would have with his girlfriend if Ravenclaw won?

Quote:
Hermione keeping the pimp hand strong.
Hermione can be extremely nasty when angered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post
Remember a few chapters ago, when she tries to tell Harry he shouldn't practice after dark but she was swayed by the thought of winning the Cup?
Agreed it seems that everyone in the wizarding world is obsessed with Quidditch. However McGonagall never went to the same extreme as Wood and insist that Harry die trying to catch the Snitch.
Quote:
This seems a very Muggle reference for Draco to be making. Perhaps it's something he's picked up from Martin Miggs the Mad Muggle (or whatever it's called)? Or maybe he has a stash of Muggle Studies textbooks tucked discreetly under his mattress.
It’s probably because of the Muggle magazine. However I think the Malfoy family knows more about the Muggle world then they let on considering their family history as revealed on Pottermore that showed them mixing with Muggles to preserve family wealth and status.
Quote:
Either outside visitors can come see Hogwarts Quidditch games or Slytherin's a hell of a lot larger than I thought.
I think it’s the former but then maybe this is just another example of the confusion of Hogwarts student number within the books. Alternatively it might be that some Ravenclaws or Hufflepuffs was supporting Slytherin as well?
Quote:
Given that she predicts one death per class per year, how likely is it that someone just gives up around the same time every year?
I never thought about this before but now I realised this explanation makes perfect sense.
torrent56 is offline   Reply With Quote