Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Politics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 12-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
The Iron Rose
Unspeakable

Russian Ambassador to Ankara Assassinated

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38369962

Not much more to say right now. The shooter, Mert Altintas, is a member of the Ankara Police's special forces and was part of the ambassador's security detail.

There's video of the shooting playing all over CNN. If you really want to see it, I have a link.

So fair warning, I post that because of what the assassin shouted, but straight up this is someone getting murdered. So don't watch if that's not something you want to see.

The gunman shouted about revenge for Aleppo, and Ankara is already putting out a statement that he is a radical Islamist. Which is perfectly plausible, seeing as he was indeed shouting God is Great in the video above. Specifically, "Allahu Akbar. Don't forget Aleppo. Don't forget Syria" and on and on in that vein.

Statement from Russian Embassy says that Islamic Extremists are responsible. Russian state media is saying that three others were wounded, though that's always questionable.

On a more speculative note, I have to admit that I'm surprised that the ambassador's security detail was Turkish, not Russian.

and wow, this guy is so fired.

edit: also dead, most likely

https://i.imgur.com/whn6DpB.png

Same warning applies.

Last edited by The Iron Rose; 12-19-2016 at 01:06 PM.
The Iron Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 12-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Darth_Revan
Alchemist

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose View Post
On a more speculative note, I have to admit that I'm surprised that the ambassador's security detail was Turkish, not Russian.
Host nations are generally responsible for the security of foreign diplomats.

Where'd you see the identity of the shooter from? I was watching the news earlier and that didn't come up.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
The Iron Rose
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
Host nations are generally responsible for the security of foreign diplomats.
Generally, yes. After the downing of the Russian jet though, I would've expected some change. No matter.

Quote:
Where'd you see the identity of the shooter from? I was watching the news earlier and that didn't come up.
Turkish media has it, so does Charlie Lister.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
gorlosh
DA Member

Some pics, shooter in action:
https://twitter.com/MicahGrimes/stat...97172392722432

Shooter right before:
https://twitter.com/tunkuv/status/810903254578171904

Unconfirmed, but I've been seeing he said, "We die in Aleppo, you die here."
gorlosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
bolko7
First Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This is very bad, Russian can and will attacked someone for this, and if it is Turkey then it is time to move away from Europe
bolko7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #6
nath1607
Groundskeeper

Quote:
The gunman shouted about revenge for Aleppo, and Ankara is already putting out a statement that he is a radical Islamist. Which is perfectly plausible, seeing as he was indeed shouting God is Great in the video above. Specifically, "Allahu Akbar. Don't forget Aleppo. Don't forget Syria" and on and on in that vein.
I wouldn't necessarily say that as the phrase is a common saying for many muslims, so it doesn't imply he committed the crime because he was an Islamic extremist rather than someone who was muslim. It's notable though that Aleppo was one of the prime locations of the USA backed rebels, the so called pro-democracy ones, and Turkey's police and military historically have been secular. Although as we've seen in the attack in Miami some extremists aren't actually politically knowledgeable given that individual was saying he was aligned with various Islamic extremist groups who hated one another.

I would also take a grain of salt with Turkey's official statements given I've already seen things mentioning him being aligned with Gulen, which is Erdogan's go to scapegoat for quite literally any problem that faces him.

Last edited by nath1607; 12-19-2016 at 03:16 PM.
nath1607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
Invictus
Alchemist

Attacks in Zurich and Berlin too, it seems. What a nice day 2016. Just winning.
Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
Azotez
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolko7 View Post
This is very bad, Russian can and will attacked someone for this, and if it is Turkey then it is time to move away from Europe
What are you on about? Russia will not attack Turkey... The reason why they won't is exactly because Europe would be dragged into it.

If a war between Turkey and Russia would have such a profound effect that you'd have to move away from Europe, it would most definitely be a nuclear war, and then you wouldn't be safe anywhere, anyway.
Azotez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
Giovanni
The Fifth House
God of Scotch

Russia is going to hold this in reserve and use it as a chip they can cash in when they decide to have some European border aggression during the Trump presidency. Turkey is going to continue to deflect toward their designated scapegoat and see if they can pressure the u.s. into releasing him into their custody.

In related unrelated news, Finland Norway Sweden Poland and what's left of the Ukraine must feel spectacular right now.

Quote:
Xiph0 What then?

Xiph0 Everyone needs projects.

Giovanni No long term projects except the goal of acquiring more property so that I can die.
Giovanni is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 12-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #10
Torll
Squib

No doubt this will strain relations between Turkey and Russia though probably not to the extent of the freeze in relations after the shooting down of the Russian fighter last year. Although Erdogan has decreased his anti-Russian rhetoric, the animosity still exists between Turkey and Russia. With the fall of Aleppo to the Russian-backed Assad regime, Turkey will no doubt hold a grudge towards Russia for its role in further destabilizing the region.
Torll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #11
Peteks
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
In related unrelated news, Finland Norway Sweden Poland and what's left of the Ukraine must feel spectacular right now.
I'm probably missing something, but what do you mean with this?
Peteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #12
psychobob35
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath1607 View Post
I would also take a grain of salt with Turkey's official statements given I've already seen things mentioning him being aligned with Gulen, which is Erdogan's go to scapegoat for quite literally any problem that faces him.
Ironic, considerisng the guy was a cop. There's a good chance he was pro-Edrogan.
psychobob35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #13
Darth_Revan
Alchemist

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteks View Post
I'm probably missing something, but what do you mean with this?
He means what he said:

Quote:
Russia is going to hold this in reserve and use it as a chip they can cash in when they decide to have some European border aggression during the Trump presidency.
Russia will keep this as a high card and play it when they need to tell Turkey something along the lines of 'You have influence in Europe, you owe us a solid, so get them to back down from opposing [this thing we are doing].'

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #14
Peteks
Unspeakable

Yeah, I just have a pretty hard time thinking Russia would actually move against any of the Nordic countries. Too small Russian minorities and too stable political systems to actually do what they are doing at Ukraine. So wouldn't really group us in the same worried group as Ukraine. Besides Finns at least are always more than a little wary about Russia, what with us still having mandatory military service and stuff due to having some pretty bloody history...
Peteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #15
Darth_Revan
Alchemist

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteks View Post
Yeah, I just have a pretty hard time thinking Russia would actually move against any of the Nordic countries. Too small Russian minorities and too stable political systems to actually do what they are doing at Ukraine. So wouldn't really group us in the same worried group as Ukraine. Besides Finns at least are always more than a little wary about Russia, what with us still having mandatory military service and stuff due to having some pretty bloody history...
It's not that they might invade you. Maybe it's some smaller provocation, like the time in 2015 when they abducted an Estonian intelligence officer, or maybe those times when they conducted cyber attacks on Georgia, Estonia, and Ukraine, or something equally nefarious but not outright aggression.

Your country's government certainly seems to not discount the possibility, seeing as how they're seeking a mutual defense agreement with the US. Remember, you're not in NATO.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #16
The Iron Rose
Unspeakable

Well talk about unnerving timing.

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/...03a19bfb124d78

Head of a Russian foreign ministry department shot dead in Moscow.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #17
DerHesse
High Inquisitor

Wow, 2016 seems to pull out all the stops towards the end.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #18
Erandil
Headmaster

Quote:
Russia is going to hold this in reserve and use it as a chip they can cash in when they decide to have some European border aggression during the Trump presidency. Turkey is going to continue to deflect toward their designated scapegoat and see if they can pressure the u.s. into releasing him into their custody.

Eh, I doubt that an accident like this does actually give Russia that much political power/ability to pressure Turkey because it I find it very hard to stick the whole responsibility of the shooting on Turkey/Erdogan.
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 12-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #19
Giovanni
The Fifth House
God of Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
Russia will keep this as a high card and play it when they need to tell Turkey something along the lines of 'You have influence in Europe, you owe us a solid, so get them to back down from opposing [this thing we are doing].'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erandil View Post
Eh, I doubt that an accident like this does actually give Russia that much political power/ability to pressure Turkey because it I find it very hard to stick the whole responsibility of the shooting on Turkey/Erdogan.
Utility isn't just in being able to pressure Turkey (relatively low), but also in being able to pressure Turkey's allies over border aggressions or other geopolitical objectives. As for being able to plausibly pin it on Erdogan, all they need is a fig leaf (it was your diplomatic security who killed him) and they're in business.

Quote:
Xiph0 What then?

Xiph0 Everyone needs projects.

Giovanni No long term projects except the goal of acquiring more property so that I can die.
Giovanni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #20
bolko7
First Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolko7

What are you on about? Russia will not attack Turkey... The reason why they won't is exactly because Europe would be dragged into it.

If a war between Turkey and Russia would have such a profound effect that you'd have to move away from Europe, it would most definitely be a nuclear war, and then you wouldn't be safe anywhere, anyway.
History showed us already that small action like this can lead to war. Why is that you are sure that there wouldn't be a war between Russia and Turkey. Cuz last few years showed anything but that (both countries are willing to use force).

I think most ppl forget that wars do happen and they happen in Europe. In 1914 it was started by terrorist act. And in late 30' there was this one British Idiot that was like "we can talked this out bro" I am sorry to say that was not a good idea.

At the moment this act of terror is tragedy, but it can change and I do not like how it can change. Looking at history and that is not a far history (last 100 years or so) has me worried. We should get ready for war or it we will repeat the story that Europe knows very well.

PS. sorry for my poor English
"
bolko7 is online now   Reply With Quote