Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 01-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
BTT
Auror

Week 11: Goblet of Fire, Ch. 29-37

Alright, final chapters of Goblet of Fire.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
Atram Noctem
Professor

Quote:
"The Longbottoms were very popular, the attacks on them came after Voldemort's fall from power, just when everyone thought they were safe. Those attacks caused a wave of fury such as I have never known. The Ministry was under great pressure to catch those who had done it."
So, unlike a few speculations in the thread regarding the Lestranges' arrest, it wasn't "in the act". Crouch might've not even been a part of it, he was only caught with them.
Quote:
"Personally, I would be highly suspicious of anybody who could converse with snakes, as serpents are often used in the worst kinds of Dark Magic, and are historically associated with evildoers."
Now, we can never really trust Rita's writing or her shady sources, but assuming this is true, it is interesting, especially considering that in the same day that this article gets published, Voldemort uses Nagini's venom for his regeneration potion. It made me wonder whether serpents are part of the Horcrux making process, which is why they are so rare (the guy who invented Horcruxes was, incidentally, also a Parselmouth).
Quote:
"And then I ask myself, but how could they have believed I would not rise again? They, who knew the steps I took, long ago, to guard myself against mortal death?"
That's an interesting choice of words. It implies that the Death Eaters not only knew that Voldemort made himself immortal, but actually had knowledge of his method, and of the fact that it was steps, not just a step, as if they're aware of the multiple Horcruxes.
Quote:
"Only one power remained to me. I could possess the bodies of others. But I dared not go where other humans were plentiful, for I knew that the Aurors were still abroad and searching for me."
And what could they do even if they located him? (several characters actually mention that Voldemort was rumored to be in Albania, so it wasn't a big secret, apparently.) Those aurors must have had some strange experiences while searching for him.
Quote:
"There was no hope of stealing the Sorcerer's Stone anymore, for I knew that Dumbledore would have seen to it that it was destroyed. But I was willing to embrace mortal life again, before chasing immortality. I set my sights lower… I would settle for my old body back again, and my old strength."
Another strange sentence. Why is it "embrace mortal life", when he already had Horcruxes? maybe he means that Horcruxes don't necessarily grant perpetual youth and vitality, which is what you need the regeneration potion for?

One inconsistency that really glares out to me in this book is the use of nonverbal magic - Dumbledore, for instance, actually calls out the incantation for the simplest spells (though only occasionally), as does Cedric. I guess Rowling hadn't quite thought out the concept at that stage.

Another topic that should be addressed is the "power level" of wizards. I think that we all tend to overestimate it. Cedric and Fleur are supposed to be the best wizards in their schools (at least of those who applied for the Tournament) and yet Fleur failed the second task because she couldn't handle a bunch of Grindylows, something that Harry easily did, and could also do by the end of third year. I guess her veela charm doesn't really work on non-humans . Cedric doesn't seem that capable either.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
BTT
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 361
Carry on like this and you’ll be made a prefect.”
“No, I won’t!” said Ron hotly.
Guess that debunks the clairvoyant Ron theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 364
“Yeah, someone could’ve - could’ve pulled him onto a broom and flown off with him, couldn’t they?” said Ron quickly, looking hopefully at Moody as if he too wanted to be told he had the makings of an Auror.
Oh, Ron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 374
Mad-Eye Moody was sitting there - except that there was a very noticeable difference in his appearance. He did not have his magical eye, but two normal ones.
Meaning that he had to have lost his other eye after the first war was over somehow.

Huh, I didn't remember Ludo Bagman had had a trial, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 379
There was a thickset man who stared blankly up at Crouch; a thinner and more nervous-looking man, whose eyes were darting around the crowd; a woman with thick,
shining dark hair and heavily hooded eyes, who was sitting in the chained chair as though it were a throne; and a boy in his late teens, who looked nothing short of petrified.
The boy is Crouch Jr. The regal woman is presumably Bellatrix. No idea who the nervous and thickset men are. The other Lestranges, maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 389
This was supposed to cast a temporary, invisible wall around himself that deflected minor curses;
I take this to mean the Shield Charm forms an orb around the caster. It's rather vague, so I can see where others might disagree.
Also, no mention of it blocking physical things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 392
Utterly perplexed Harry got up. The Dursleys couldn’t possibly be here, could they?
It'd be hilarious if some well-meaning bureaucrat at the Ministry of Magic managed to coerce the Dursleys into coming to the TWT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 402
The sphinx smiled more broadly. She got up, stretched her front legs, and then moved aside for
him to pass.
“Thanks!” said Harry, and, amazed at his own brilliance, he dashed forward.
Don't be so amazed, Harry, with all those hints anyone could've solved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 407
Cedric was lying spread-eagled on the ground beside him. He was dead.
Voldemort's really sabotaging his own recruitment efforts. Thanks for that revelation, Cursed Child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 414
“May your loyalty never waver again, Wormtail,” said Voldemort.
“No, my Lord… never, my Lord…”
Oh, Wormtail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 416
“And here we have six missing Death Eaters… three dead in my service. One, too cowardly to return… he will pay. One, who I believe has left me forever… he will be killed, of course… and one, who remains my most faithful servant, and who has already reentered my service.”
So, who is who?
The one that was "too cowardly to return" and the one that "left me forever", who will be killed? We can guess the most faithful is Bartemius Crouch Jr.
I feel as if one of the other two is most likely Karkaroff - I think he's the coward - but who the last one is, no idea.

Also, I was going over the list of Death Eaters mentioned by Sirius before that, and Wilkes is basically the least popular Death Eater in fanfic, isn't he? I can't recall him ever being accorded the power and/or influence attributed to fanfic versions of Malfoy, Nott, Macnair, Dolohov, Rosier...

It turns out Animagi can speak with the animal they transform into. Odd. On that note, I wonder why Voldemort never became an Animagus, or if he did why he never transformed. He certainly doesn't seem lacking in talent; maybe there's some other intrinsic quality involved?

The thought occured to me that the way Voldemort got his [strikethrough]groove[/strikethrough] body back involved Wormtail raping Bertha Jorkins. As such Voldemort's his "son". Now there's a cheering thought.
...I wonder if that technically makes the Cursed Child (whose name I can't be fucked to remember at the moment) his granddaughter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 422
with the reflexes born of his Quidditch training, he flung himself sideways onto the ground; he rolled behind the marble headstone of Voldemort s father, and he heard it crack as the curse missed him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by page 431
You told me at the
Yule Ball a house-elf called Dobby had given you a Christmas present. I called the elf to the
staffroom to collect some robes for cleaning. I staged a loud conversation with Professor
McGonagall about the hostages who had been taken, and whether Potter would think to use
gillyweed.
Seems rather contrived. I think the movies just had Neville give Harry gillyweed, which is much simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 436
I was always with the house-elf. She was my keeper and caretaker. She pitied me. She persuaded my father to give me occasional treats. Rewards for my good behavior.
Fucking Winky. Sole reason Voldemort was resurrected as easily as he was, right there, especially considering she's the reason Berta Jorkins's memory was damaged in the first place. And to think Hermione wants to free the little fuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 451
I tell you now- take the steps I have suggested, and you will be remembered, in office or out, as one of the bravest and greatest Ministers of Magic we have ever known. Fail to act - and history will remember you as the man who stepped aside and allowed Voldemort a second chance to destroy the world we have tried to rebuild
I can't exactly disagree, but I feel this wasn't the best way to go about things.

Huh, I forgot Fleur and Krum came to say goodbye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 465
“I used Jelly-Legs. Looks as though those two shouldn’t be mixed. He seems to have sprouted little tentacles all over his face.
So it turns out charms and/or curses can mix, somehow. Fascinating.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
Stan
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT View Post
So, who is who?
The one that was "too cowardly to return" and the one that "left me forever", who will be killed? We can guess the most faithful is Bartemius Crouch Jr.
I feel as if one of the other two is most likely Karkaroff - I think he's the coward - but who the last one is, no idea.
I thought it was quite obvious that it was Snape. At this point, Voldemort believes Snape's defected to Dumbledore.

Quote:
“I think you next wanted to know,” he pressed on, a little more loudly, for Bellatrix showed every sign of interrupting, “why I stood between the Dark Lord and the Sorcerer’s Stone. That is easily answered. He did not know whether he could trust me. He thought, like you, that I had turned from faithful Death Eater to Dumbledore’s stooge. He was in a pitiable condition, very weak, sharing the body of a mediocre wizard. He did not dare reveal himself to a former ally if that ally might turn him over to Dumbledore or the Ministry. I deeply regret that he did not trust me. He would have returned to power three years sooner. As it was, I saw only greedy and unworthy Quirrell attempting to steal the stone and, I admit, I did all I could to thwart him.”

Bellatrix’s mouth twisted as though she had taken an unpleasant dose of medicine.

“But you didn’t return when he came back, you didn’t fly back to him at once when you felt the Dark Mark burn —”

“Correct. I returned two hours later. I returned on Dumbledore’s orders.”

“On Dumbledore’s —?” she began, in tones of outrage.

~HBP, Chapter 2
The last part is this brief moment we see towards the end of GoF:

Quote:
“Severus,” said Dumbledore, turning to Snape, “you know what I must ask you to do. If you are ready… if you are prepared…”

“I am,” said Snape.

He looked slightly paler than usual, and his cold, black eyes glittered strangely.

“Then good luck,” said Dumbledore, and he watched, with a trace of apprehension on his face, as Snape swept wordlessly after Sirius.

It was several minutes before Dumbledore spoke again.
Perhaps the most low-key badass moment in the books. How many times has Dumbledore sounded apprehensive, ever?
Stan is online now   Reply With Quote