Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 03-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #21
deathinapinkboa
Minister for Magic

Okay, I have a question. Why do things that are not rated three stars end up in the trash bin? I didn't like this story much, I thought it belonged in the trash bin, but it has a rating of 4/5. That means it doesn't belong here. So why the fuck is it here?
Waht may seem lkie a cuasal drisgerad for sepllnig and gammrar is atcalluy my dyxsleia shniing thougrh.
deathinapinkboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #22
raja
Fourth Year

I'd assume it used to have a rating of 3/5, even though it still does, it just rounds up to four now instead of down to three. (it's 3.8/5)
raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #23
deathinapinkboa
Minister for Magic

And Raja spoke onto Deathinapinkboa and all that was perflexing was made clear.
Waht may seem lkie a cuasal drisgerad for sepllnig and gammrar is atcalluy my dyxsleia shniing thougrh.
deathinapinkboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #24
calutron
High Inquisitor

This story has been shaping up very nicely 4.8/5. Mods or admins, get it out of the bin.
calutron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #25
ip82
Prisoner

Personally, I didn't like the last few chapters. I just don't see Tom Riddle turning into a worthless prankster. That's just so cliche. Not to mention hints of Harry losing magic...

4/5 at this point, with downward tendency.

Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties -> DLP Thread
Yin and Yang -> DLP Thread

Ficwad Profile || HP Recycle Bin || Crap filter C2
Rule no. 1 - You do not talk about Alpha Fight Club...
ip82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #26
raja
Fourth Year

Yeah it would suck if Harry became a squib, and yeah I'd agree that it seems to be slipping slightly, but it could, and hopefully will, still recover.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #27
slasheh
Seventh Year

Dunno, i guess the risk of harry loosing his magic would add some nice tension.
I prefer the "war" chapters compared to the "family-tom" chapters. Reading about a prankster tom riddle just doesnt interest me. But on the other hand he needs to be in the story as a second main character so we need SOME kind of plot.
i guess my opinion of the story goes up and down. It's up in the chapters where the war and harry/james are the main things and down when tom's story is being told.
i'd still give the story 4/5
slasheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #28
The Lord of Chaos
Slug Club Member

Excellent story, I really like it so far (minus the beginning). The author has a great thing going, destroy your enemies by saving them. I do appreciate that the author didn't just make Tom some innocent child after he was rescued. It's good that he still has a dark side. Though I admit it could be put to better use than pranking. I say 4/5, and I can overlook the bad beginning for the quick update rate.

The Lord of Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #29
Vesvius
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I've been following this story since it came out. The writter is fairly decent, and there're no glaring errors. The plot is good, and I enjoy the Harry(James)/Tom interaction. It's a good piece of work.

4/5
Vesvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #30
World
Oberstgruppenführer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I didn't quite like the last chapters as much, but it's still about 3,8, so not Trash Bin material.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #31
Master Slytherin
Headmaster

Send a message via AIM to Master Slytherin Send a message via MSN to Master Slytherin Send a message via Yahoo to Master Slytherin
The opening of the fic is extremely weak, thus the reason why it was rightfully put into the Trash Bin. However, as the author improved his writing style and developed an actual plot, it slowly became rather enjoyable. Of late there are tiny signs of the Riddle part of the story drying up but the author can always fall back on Harry. Overall a rather good spin on the Grindelwald timeline and a refreshing change to the usual Voldemort!Grindelwald bullshit. About a 4.6/5 (though slightly lower if you're not a time-travel nut like I am).

Yahell Group

Fanfiction.net Account

Avatar graciously provided by DGD
Master Slytherin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #32
MysterioX
Professor

Send a message via MSN to MysterioX
Very good story. But I haven't read the last 3 chapters... Harry losing magic...
That would suck. Let the author know we don't want that happening.
I give it a 4.5
MysterioX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #33
raja
Fourth Year

i'm glad this was added to the library instead of trash bin
And whistled early with the lark

In winter trenches covered and glum
With crumps and lice and lacks of rum
He put a bullet in his brain
No one spoke of him again

You smug faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go
Old 04-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #34
slasheh
Seventh Year

updated. The plot is moving along, plus a rather well written fight, good chapter all in all
slasheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #35
jbern
Headmaster
Alba Mater

I continue to enjoy the story, my only recent comments to the author that are that Dumbledore is a doormat in this one. There is no hint of 'The only one he ever feared' in this one.

I'll be interested to see how he proceeds.

Jim
Rule #1 - Do not talk about Alpha Fight Club
Rule #2 - Don't start an E-Penis war that you don't have a plan for winning.

Horror, Humor, and Heroes

Buy HHH E-Book Here
jbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:20 AM   #36
Vulkan
Squib

Actually the author analyzes through Harry why Dumbledore might seem like this in the last 2 chapters. The previous chapter had that interesting fight between Dumbledore and Grindlewald.

I like the war related chapters. There are many sub plots within plots just like in a war. I like the snippets we see of the few new characters. None of the short term characters are over sensationalized and they are portrayed aptly. This is one part I like about this story.

There is ample coverage for both Harry and Tom and we see new forms of magic that is 'old'. There is very little about the other side but the real time scenes like the prison scenes and undercover work is all interesting. The author could have gone into more detail but hey, it is his story and it worked out pretty well.

I say I would give this story a 4.25 or 4.5 out of 5. Some parts of the story are just too realistic to be ignored.

Truth is an elaborately fabricated LIE.

And I have it 'P'erfected.
Vulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:50 AM   #37
Kage Buyo
First Year

The best Grindelwald war fic. I really didn't care about the first couple chapters, it didn't really bother me.

The fight with Grindy and Dumbles was decent. I like that hellfire attack and the fact that it made Dumbles struggle, it is nice to see him more realistic than demi-god.

I also enjoy how James shows his backwards ministry how much out of touch they have been from the muggle world. It is a change from the usual "Wizards would pwn muggles cause they can do magic" angle.

I think the author may be setting Tom up to be the next Dumbledore figure for the wizarding world. I don't think I ever seen a fic where Tom Riddle became a figure like Dumbledore.

Anyway, I give the fic a 5/5. The beginning didn't bother me that much.
Kage Buyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #38
Hahukum Konn
Fourth Year

Just got updated today with a cliffhanger. :P

I'd give it 4/5 at this point, I think.
Hahukum Konn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #39
Aceera2001
Squib

It got updated recently, and the plot is moving along quite nicely. I feel a resolution to the harry=squib issue coming up soon! The resolution winds down a bit hastily and I would've appreciated a bit more on the demonology subject.

4.5/5

"If you take advantage of her, you will end up in a special place in hell. A place reserved for child molesters. And people who talk in theaters." - Shepherd Book, Firefly

"If someone tries to kill you, you kill them right back!" - Mal
Aceera2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #40
Azrael's Little Helper
High Inquisitor

This has just been updated, featuring the final confrontation between the Count and Christina, and sadly, a very short scene of the battle between Grindelwald and Dumbledore. Not full of blasts and walking dead, just dead people, but fits in well with the overall style of the fic.

“Don’t we all,” Slick cracked
Azrael's Little Helper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, author:dobbyelflord, complete, harry/oc, supernatural, suspense, time travel, timetravel