Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
headbanger22
Third Year

Prince of the Dark Kingdom by Mizuni-sama - M

Title: Prince of the Dark Kingdom
Author: Mizuni-sama
Rating: M
Genre: Drama/Adventure
DLP Category: Alternates
Pairing: N/A
Chapters: 139
Words: 1,141,338
Updated: January 6, 2013
Published: September 3, 2007

Summary: Ten years ago, Voldemort created his kingdom. Now a confused young wizard stumbles into it, and carves out a destiny. AU. Nondark Harry. Mentor Voldemort.
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3766574/...e_Dark_Kingdom

This is a quite enjoyable story. It is eleven chapters long with a decent update rate. I think that it rates a 4/5.

Checked by Minion, February 4, 2013
'Anyone who has been to the higher dimensions will know that they're a pretty nasty heathen lot up there who should just be smashed and done in, and would be, too, if anyone could work out a way of firing missiles at right-angles to reality.'

- Douglas Adams, 'Life, the Universe and Everything'

Last edited by Dark Minion; 02-04-2013 at 03:27 PM.
headbanger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Naga's Shadow
Seventh Year

Actually quite good, its still a little early to tell how it will turn out, the author talks of a whole series but time will tell. Good enough to make it into the library in my opinion.
Naga's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Dr_Jos
First Year

Somehow I can't get arround the fact that Harry is being called Heinrich.
This fic could have a lot of potential if it wasn't for the German stuff
Dr_Jos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Naga's Shadow
Seventh Year

If you read past the first chapter you'll realize that he's not.
Naga's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Neffiedrake
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jos View Post
Somehow I can't get arround the fact that Harry is being called Heinrich.
This fic could have a lot of potential if it wasn't for the German stuff
I don't know whether I should be offended by this or not.. Well, I rather liked the story, though it truly is too early to tell which way it will go.
Neffiedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Halstead
First Year

“Date of birth?”

“August 1st, 1996.”

This bit automatically put me off slightly. There is no reason for inaccuracy surely, and at ch. 5 cannot see any relevance what-so-ever.

2/5 at the moment. Very bland, nothing stand out. I shall update when i am finished with it.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
Richard
Supreme Mugwump

I agree with Hal...I couldn't get passed the 1st chapter, didn't sound very promising to be honest. 2/5 for me.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
The best new fanfiction in months.

Of course, there's been hardly any new fanfiction around for these last few months, but that doesn't change the fact that this is one of a now dying breed.

I personally like the "German stuff" and aren't too fussed with the date of birth - it's obviously not a mistake but a deliberate change so I'm interested to see where it goes.

4/5

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
Halstead
First Year

I did manage to get all the way through to chapter 11 and the later chapters do get better. Some promising parts and the system on magical "adoption" is both well written, well thought out and original.

It will be interesting to see the next few chapters, they will either elevate this fic to a very good one or make it one of the countless other crap cliche MiniDarkLord Harry. I hope the whole Hermione thing won't ruin a potentially great piece of work either.

3.5/5 for now and rising with every chapter.

Oh, and the date of birth, I do hope it was purposeful and not so Harry could get the new Hasselhoff etc single for Christmas off his friends to remind him of his childhood. prays
Old 10-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
My review for chapter 12:

Quote:
A good chapter, but disappointingly, when it comes to magic, your Harry seems to be as average as the Harry from canon. Do try to give him at least a little bit of talent, if only for my sake.
His reply:

Quote:
Sorry, but no. My Harry will have a realistic amount of magic. There will be times when he demonstrates an unsual amount, but these will be during times of stress or in relation to certain types of magic he has a natural aptitude for. I'm trying to keep him as real as possible, with his own set of flaws and limitation like everyone else.

Thanks for the review!
He missed my point a bit - I wasn't asking for Harry to have "more magic" than in canon (ignoring for a moment my lack of belief in such magical theory) - I was asking for Harry to have a greater intellect than in canon, more creativity, independant thinking, less dependance on other people (Hermione, Dumbledore, etc). Due to the differences in the way that Harry has grown up I don't think that this is unreasonable.

Now, I understand the need for a realistic Harry, but the point of fanfiction is that we are allowed to change things that we were dissatisfied with in canon. We can make Harry more talented than in canon without going overboard and making him more powerful than Dumbledore at age 11. A realistic progression of magical development is good. However, I want my main character to have at least a shadow of competence, and a hope for true talent in the future. In other words, I'm not expecting an 11-year-old Harry to have Dumbledore's magical prowess, but instead to have the equivalent of an 11-year-old Dumbledore's magic prowess and promise, give or take a bit.

Harry's talent is my greatest disappointment from canon, and the thing that I'd like to see changed the most. After all, what's the point in changing Harry's situation, past and even the structure of the world that he lives in if he himself stays exactly the same?

The fact that Harry is going to be a talentless loser in this fic has dropped my estimation of it considerably.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #11
Lucullus
High Inquisitor

So I decided to check out DLP's opinion's of this fic before reading it, and...WTF?! He has Voldemort as a mentor (Or so the summary says) and is still going to be as magically inept as in canon?

If Voldemort can't hammer a modicum of talent into him, no one else can.

FFN Profile
Lucullus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
He doesn't really have Voldemort as a mentor...or at least, not yet anyway. All that's happened so far is Voldemort is interested in him, due to a high magical power reading, having his brother wand, and of course parsletongue.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:07 AM   #13
Xiph0
Administrator
First Tovarisch

Quote:
All that's happened so far is Voldemort is interested in him, due to a high magical power reading
...is it over 9,000?
Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H. L. Mencken
Xiph0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #14
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Even Master Yoda doesn't have that much!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #15
Andro
Master of Death

DLP Supporter Donor Star
He had what, 2000 midi-chloraines?
Andro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 AM   #16
Rin
Minister for Magic
Oberstgruppenführer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
He doesn't really have Voldemort as a mentor...or at least, not yet anyway. All that's happened so far is Voldemort is interested in him, due to a high magical power reading, having his brother wand, and of course parsletongue.

Where did he get the parsletongue ability if Voldemort hadn't tried to off him as a baby and accidently made him a horcrux instead?
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
We don't know yet. Maybe it's random, like metamorphagus powers, or maybe Harry is descended from Slytherin in the story.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #18
DreamRed
Seventh Year

I quite liked it. It was a new twist anyway, and it didn't have the really dully informative writing style a lot of the fics I'm reading recently have. 4/5 for me.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #19
Rin
Minister for Magic
Oberstgruppenführer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I enjoyed the story, for the most part. I don't know what Harry's EMOing about though. I think that what Tom set up in the wizarding world is fucking utopian in comparison to the bullshit that HP went through in the books. There are of course some things that could use changing, but otherwise, I totally agree with taking the wizarding kids out of the muggle world, introducing them to the wizarding world, getting them adopted into a family that might want them, testing their magical level so you don't need to waste space at Hogwarts for near-squibs and idiots, etc . . .

What I don't agree with is letting the Pure Bloods into Hogwarts without so much as a glance (lol, you're a near-squib, and an idiot to boot, but you're a pure-blood, so come on in!), or that the Half-bloods and Muggle-borns are learning things in that ELF class that even Pure-Bloods don't know. I would make it so that ALL wizards must know this stuff and pass their ELFs with an O just to get into Hogwarts, then set up a school for people who only got an E, another school for those who got an A, and let the trade schools get the failures and near-squibs.

That way, an A-average from Hogwarts means more than an E-average from the school set up for the people who only got As on their ELFs, and it would be equal to an E-average from the school set up for the people who got Es on their ELFs.
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:37 AM   #20
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Excellent story, best new story I've seen in months.

Tags
alternate universe, author:mizuni-sama, harry/luna, slytherin!ron, voldemort is awesome