Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Zircon

Pottermore Discussion

I only found out today about a site that went up recently, not sure what it implies exactly, encyclopedia?
Or more real story? (not holding my breath for that though).

Last edited by Zircon; 06-15-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
T3t
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Oh, Jesus fuck. There had better not be any more retroactive edits to canon. I couldn't care less about anything after the epilogue (or, for that matter, between the last chapter and it either). That said, it's definitely "official": http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/...r-website.html
T3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Anarchy

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I wouldn't mind if it was prologue stuff, like first war action following around Moody as he kicks ass.

But I'll cry if I have to read more rushed Harry/Ginny

Last edited by Anarchy; 06-15-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Spanks
Headmaster

You know I was thinking the other day that Harry Potter has some potential to have an extended universe like Star Wars. It wouldn't be as diverse as the Star Wars one since we are only dealing with a single race of people on one planet, but the HP universe is vague and interesting enough for extension imo. Unfortunately, JKR doesn't seem like the type to allow something like that.
Spanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Zircon

Honestly I dream of something 7 novels long and marauder era, it'd show a different kind of story in the same world, and yeah the EU is nice, perhaps she'll allow it in her will or something lol, with Warhammer 40k I believe they allow fans to submit things to the "Black Library" and canonize the best submissions, even publishing them. That would be great if a couple expansive fics a year were canonized.
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Rubicon
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSpanker View Post
You know I was thinking the other day that Harry Potter has some potential to have an extended universe like Star Wars. It wouldn't be as diverse as the Star Wars one since we are only dealing with a single race of people on one planet, but the HP universe is vague and interesting enough for extension imo. Unfortunately, JKR doesn't seem like the type to allow something like that.
...I think we call that "fanfic".

The Name of the Wind
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
Spanks
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
...I think we call that "fanfic".
No, we don't. Extended universe work is approved by the creator of the series and is considered actual canon within said fandom.

For example; George Lucas didn't create Knights of the Old Republic (thx Bioware), but Darth Revan is considered a real character in Star Wars canon. If I wrote a fanfiction with my own OC that character wouldn't be considered a canon character.

Edit: Good lord. The idea of fanfiction being considered canon is scary. Every male character would have stretched assholes

Last edited by Spanks; 06-16-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
Iztiak
God of Magic

Quote:
No, we don't. Extended universe work is approved by the creator of the series and is considered actual canon within said fandom.
Oh, that's so much better.

Bad fanfiction being considered canon.

I can barely contain my joy at the thought.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
Spanks
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iztiak View Post
Oh, that's so much better.

Bad fanfiction being considered canon.

I can barely contain my joy at the thought.
lol, there'd have to be a vetting process to ensure things don't get out of control. GL has final say on all material before it is published in SW. JKR should too, but I don't think I'd trust her to do a good job.

I didn't say it should be done. I said it has potential for an EU.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #10
Oruma
Minister of Magic

Quote:
I had similar thoughts.

Instead of closing up the HP universe JKR could license an anthology of AU or Canon-compliant stories, like Star Trek has with its Strange New World series (an annual collection of short stories set in the ST universe, written by amateur writers chosen through an open submissions process).

I know it ain't gonna happen, but still.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
Rubicon
Professor

Quote:
lol, there'd have to be a vetting process to ensure things don't get out of control. GL has final say on all material before it is published in SW. JKR should too, but I don't think I'd trust her to do a good job.

I didn't say it should be done. I said it has potential for an EU.
The Star Wars EU is pretty much FUBAR at this point. It's saddled with a ton of crap that everyone hates, but no one can ignore because it's canon. There's only so many times the Emperor can be resurrected as a clone before you start to call the whole thing a lost cause. Not to mention the wild inconsistencies in everything. Or the entire NJO. Or of course Kevin J Anderson, who basically built his career around raping SW canon.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad - Mara Jade is awesome, and I loved the Rogue Squadron books - but the vast majority of the EU really does amount to nothing more than bad fanfic, which should never, ever, under any circumstances, have been approved as canon.

If we could guarantee that JKR would only approve awesome authors who only write things we all love, sure, that would be cool. But you know that's not how it would go.

The Name of the Wind
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #12
EthyleneGlycol
First Year

I am completely unsurprised that Rowling will most likely write another HP book. Even if it's terrible, hopefully it will revitalize the fandom and provide it with a some new blood.

Dumbledore stood from his desk and crossed over to the door, watching Riddle leave. Gazing down the stairs, his eyes dull, voice flat, he said, quietly, “I fear it shall be all too soon, Lord Voldemort.”

-Coming Soon
EthyleneGlycol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #13
Spanks
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
The Star Wars EU is pretty much FUBAR at this point. It's saddled with a ton of crap that everyone hates, but no one can ignore because it's canon. There's only so many times the Emperor can be resurrected as a clone before you start to call the whole thing a lost cause. Not to mention the wild inconsistencies in everything. Or the entire NJO. Or of course Kevin J Anderson, who basically built his career around raping SW canon.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad - Mara Jade is awesome, and I loved the Rogue Squadron books - but the vast majority of the EU really does amount to nothing more than bad fanfic, which should never, ever, under any circumstances, have been approved as canon.

If we could guarantee that JKR would only approve awesome authors who only write things we all love, sure, that would be cool. But you know that's not how it would go.
Yeah, it's hit or miss. I think Star Wars has hit more than miss (imo), but then you have a lot of fandoms get ruined by an EU. I've never read the series, but I've seen some people nerd rage (including a few prominent authors) over the Chronicles of Amber EU.

I love Warhammer 40k's EU. Not sure about anyone else.

Still, I'd love to see a good professional author write a series set in the HP universe at one of the other schools or about Grindelwald. /wishful thinking ._.

Last edited by Spanks; 06-16-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #14
Jormungandr
God of Magic

I'd like to see something that sheds more light upon the more 'obscure' parts of the Harry Potter universe.
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Jormungandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:14 AM   #15
Ash
Dark Lady
of Starfall

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Ash
Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
While no further details have been revealed about the project, a source at hpana.com, who has apparently seen the site, described it as "breathtaking in scope, detail and sheer beauty".
OMG OMG OMG /me fangirls. I am so thrilled by this. I really hope that it is an encyclopedia/place for JKR to post other snippets of canon lore.

Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #16
Mordecai
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:

I love Warhammer 40k's EU. Not sure about anyone else.
The reason that far and away the vast majority of 40K EU is high quality is that GW doesn't let just anyone write for them. The Black Library only accepts manuscripts from certain authors. Hell, they hold competitions where the prize is getting on the list of folk who are allowed to send them manuscripts. No guarantee of publication, just that they'll not burn it as soon as they get it.

On topic here though. I'm not surprised at her doing something more with the Universe. I am surprised at how soon it is. I'd have expected her to do something maybe a year or so after the release of the final film. Unless she's planning to use this new website thing to do a massive, long term publicity hype for whatever the project is. It would be her style to start advertising something long, long before it was released.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:09 AM   #17
Randeemy
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Will is not just be Rowling's version of the Lexicon?

When everything seems hopeless, that's when you need to bring it. That's when you need to bring the crunch!!!
-
The Power of mint and Berries yet with a satisfying tasty crunch!
Randeemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 AM   #18
Qilin
Second Year

I like to see some information on the the more obscure parts as well. Of anything really.

I'm a bit surprised by the coming soon page though; if I had just stumbled across this page by accident, I would have believed it was just some teen girl's site or something.

You can put on makeup, but you can't hide crazy. - OE
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:44 AM   #19
Zeitgeist
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I like to see some information on the the more obscure parts as well. Of anything really.

I'm a bit surprised by the coming soon page though; if I had just stumbled across this page by accident, I would have believed it was just some teen girl's site or something.
I had the same reaction as Qilin. The colour of the background didn't convince me, but hey, it's official.

Learning about Post-DH and pre-Epilogue won't be that terrible. I, for one, want to learn about Luna and how the hell she hooked up with Rolf Scamander, eventually becoming a Magizoologist. It still pisses me that all the Ministry Six got some mention in the Epilogue... except Luna.

(unless she's Malfoy's "blond wife", not Astoria Greengrass. Holy mindscrew. I can hear the fanboys screaming bloody murder again.)
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 AM   #20
Taure
God of Magic
~Soap Box~

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'm going to call this not being a comprehensive or crazily detailed encyclopedia of the kind that really hardcore fans desire. Rather, I bet it's going to be a bit like JKR's site: interactive, offering lots of small bits of teasing info and Easter Eggs like early dafts.

JKR isn't the type to do things in a comprehensive systematic way. She much prefers a more... ecclectic approach.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up

Tags
pottermore