Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Real Life Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 06-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
Exile
Order Member

Hell of a save after Pol's goalie got the red.

--Durzo Blint-
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #42
Lukaskr
Second Year

So disappointing...

Russia looks very strong.
Lukaskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #43
Doctor Whooves
Order Member

4-1? Wow, Russia really pulled out all the stops

I reckon they're feeling a mite more confident now.

This. Is a PUBLIC. SERVICE. Announcement.
WITH GUITARS
-The Clash
Doctor Whooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #44
Oment
Squib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesc View Post
... the Dutch defence is worse than ours (or at least not better). Also, Portugal has Ronaldo and then nothing. I wouldn't be half surprised if Portugal beat the Netherlands, and Denmark beat Portugal, and in the end both Portugal and Netherlands are out. The Netherlands are as far away from a title as ever before. I dunno why everyone thinks they might win something. They have the same Problem Brazil did for a long time, everyone wants to score goals and for the defence you hope and pray.

If you force Robben & co to work defensively (because you have good, offensive wingbacks), there's not that much magic left.
The lack of good defenders is a typically Dutch thing over the years, and especially the last 4-6 years. It is probably the only reason why van Marwijk keeps picking Nigel 'Karate-kick' de Jong on midfield over more offensive options like Strootman or van der Vaart. Granted, the former lacks experience. Personally, I'd be happy if de Jong never got invited again, and I hope that I won't be utterly ashamed to be Dutch in 19h. The conduct in the WC Final was atrocious.

As seems to be the norm, it's the goalie's job to keep the Dutch in it. Stekelenburg is positively decent by the standards set in the later van der Sar years, but whether it'll be enough for another run to the finals... I doubt it. If it's not the group stage that's the limit, it's going to be Russia or Spain in the QF or SF. I can't see Germany not win the group and the same goes for Spain and Russia.

On a different note, I still can't believe that there was so much drama in the opening game. Did Poland send out their U-19's for the second half or something, because that was just plain bad. Apart from the saved penalty, which was awesome.

Last edited by Oment; 06-08-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #45
JimmyCranberry
Death Eater

Dzagoev looks dangerous, and Russia will cruise through the group stages.

Just watch how England fail massively. We do it every time, and it always makes me laugh.

Torn between Holland and Germany for the title... Spain have a great team, but I'm not sure they are quite as good as they were back in 2010. Holland and Germany, on the other hand, have only gotten better.

JimmyCranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #46
oephyx
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
My feeling is that it's really the Germans' time to win something. They're consistently in the finals and semis of big tournaments, but fall slightly short. In terms of the generation they have, this is a great moment for them. The way I remember it, the integrity of their team rests entirely on Schweinsteiger anchoring the midfield, and I don't know if they have anyone near that solid coming through in the younger generation. His sense of positioning in 2010 was just phenomenal.

So for me that's the key, because if he's slightly off, the defense will be exposed. And honestly, for all the incredible young talent the Germans have been coming up with recently, I doubt the team will get better in the next few years (at least on paper).

Lewis Carroll
oephyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #47
Bill Door
Dark Lord

Denmark for the Euros anyone?

How on earth did the Dutch not score there. They has so many great chances. I've never seen Van Persie play so badly, his touch in the box was just awful. They are really going to struggle to get through this group now, but I wouldn't completely rule them out. They were a bit unlucky with that decision on the handball, should have been a penalty.

Now then, Portugal to beat Germany?

I'm a leaf on the wind,

Watch how I soar.

Bill Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #48
Anme
Professor

If Van Persie and Huntelaar had been better in finishing today the Dutch would have beaten Denmark fairly easily so I don't think that Denmark will go for the Euros. Nevertheless the Netherlands are pretty much out of the competition. I don't see them winning from Germany and they really need to now.

Germany won't have the same happen against Portugal.
Anme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #49
Rapscallion
Professor

LoL Dutch.

Seriously, everybody's prediction of Dutch and Spanish final just got....

But Netherlands themselves are to be blamed, missing so many chances and that too by RVP(just). I think Robben and Afellay were at times too selfish and could have passed but credit to Danes for being composed and solid throughout. Seeing today's performance I don' see Oranje passing group stages. Group of death turned into group of....death.
00:13:52 [+xion] I avoid all the hindus. >_>

"Your birth is a mistake you’ll spend your whole life trying to correct."
Rapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #50
Sechrima
Death Eater

Huh, Germany didn't play a very impressive game, but a win is still a win, I suppose.
'[and Pelinal] came to Perrif's camp of rebels holding a sword and mace, both encrusted with the smashed viscera of elven faces, feathers and magic beads, which were the markings of the Ayleidoon, stuck to the redness that hung from his weapons, and he lifted them, saying: "These were their eastern chieftains, no longer full of their talking."'
- The Song of Pelinal, v 2
Sechrima is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #51
Doctor Whooves
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sechrima View Post
Huh, Germany didn't play a very impressive game, but a win is still a win, I suppose.
Yeah. Shame about that.

The win, I mean; not the playing.

WITH GUITARS
-The Clash
Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #52
Oment
Squib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anme View Post
If Van Persie and Huntelaar had been better in finishing today the Dutch would have beaten Denmark fairly easily so I don't think that Denmark will go for the Euros. Nevertheless the Netherlands are pretty much out of the competition. I don't see them winning from Germany and they really need to now.
This, pretty much. Two wins are needed to get into the QF if the Danes beat or draw Portugal. I don't see Germany losing to the Danes - though a draw could be doable if it gets both of them through.

The 'what-if' game would be most amusing if Portugal beats Denmark, though. That'd create all sorts of interesting last day permutations - it's entirely possible for the group to end with Germany on 9 and the rest on 3 points in that case, at which point it's down to "who got their win with the best GD / most goals scored", if I read the rules right.

I don't think that's a realistic scenario, though. The Germans weren't that strong tonight, but I do feel that their play as a team was a level up from the Dutch, which suffered from a sore, sore lack of both finishing and support from midfield. Van Bommel and de Jong rarely came forward and it was usually just the four up front trying to create something, sometimes with Willems for support. Comparing that to the Germans and knowing that Willems is just not cut out for this level just yet... Stekelenburg is going to have a busy night, I think.
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #53
AlbusPHolmes
Order Member

The Russia-Czech Republic game had me wondering for a moment if the Czechs had been paid off. Such woeful defending! Neglecting the Euros for a sec, who saw Messi just strut his stuff all over the Brazilians?
AlbusPHolmes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #54
Bill Door
Dark Lord

I think that Ireland were a bit unlucky in that game. I mean that third goal was just a fluke coming off the post to hit Given. And then we had a stone wall penalty turned down. But we really didn't play at our best, we never got near their midfield for the first 60 minutes. Still, I suppose we'll just have to win the next two games, shouldn't be too hard, it's only Italy and Spain. Neither of them have won anything in ages.

I think that Italy probably deserved the win earlier, they had the better attacks for most of the game. Spain lacked any real threat without a striker, and when they had one Torres was horrendous. It looks like they're really going to miss David Villa in this tournament.

At this point none of the real favourites for the tournament have impressed me, none have looked like they will walk away with it. I'll be interested to see how France go tomorrow, I think they could really destroy England.

I'm a leaf on the wind,

Watch how I soar.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #55
oephyx
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
To be fair, the teams that look best during the group stages often disappoint later on, and conversely the teams that end up going far often have a bad game early. The main thing in the group stages is to go through, not to look pretty.

With that in mind, Germany still look good. I wouldn't be too worried about the Netherlands, but their group is so good that it's likely they won't even go through. Spain may have a real problem with their lack of striker.

Lewis Carroll
oephyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #56
Don E. Delivery
God of Magic

Very close game midway through in Donetsk... France and England both at 1 goal a piece... 30th for Lescott (Gerrard free kick glances off Lescott's face) and 39th for Nasri (Gerrard tries to block, ends up blocking Hart's view, Nasri's shot through a little gap beats Hart to his right lower corner). Possession looks to be about the same, though I think England has been stronger thus far.

My prediction: England takes it 2-1... Andy Carroll comes on as a sub for Walbeck and heads home a Gerrard corner.
Don E. Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #57
Doctor Whooves
Order Member

One all at half time - we've had some good chances. Shame about the equaliser; it'd be nice to go into the quarters with a few clean sheets

EDIT: Grrrr. Ninja'd.

WITH GUITARS
-The Clash
Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #58
Bill Door
Dark Lord

I hope to god that was the worst game in the tournament. Because I think I'll kill myself rather than sit through another one of those. Both teams were perfectly happy to play for a draw. France were just sitting there forty yards from goal passing it from side to side, and England just stood there and let them.

The only positive thing I can think of for that game is at least the refereeing was better than in most of the previous games. Although a red card or two might have livened things up a little.

I'm a leaf on the wind,

Watch how I soar.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #59
Peteks
Professor

Send a message via MSN to Peteks
Milner is shit. Can't fucking score on empty net, and that terrible back pass, lucky Hart was awake and came quickly off his line to block the shot...

And the game was boring. Played at a pace more suitable to 40 years+ leagues...
Peteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #60
Uncle Stojil
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
The only positive thing I can think of for that game is at least the refereeing was better than in most of the previous games. Although a red card or two might have livened things up a little.
Italian crew.

And with the economy Europe has as of late, no one can afford to buy them.
Uncle Stojil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
england, euro 2012, football, futbol, fußball, germany, netherlands, poland, portugal, soccer, spain, the beautiful game, ukraine, voetbal