Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Support > Site Related Support
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
Newcomb
Death Eater

WbA Copy Paste

Folks who post stories in WbA - how do you make it hassle-free?

I've been copy and pasting from a Word Doc / Google Doc (tried both) and I've been having some severe formatting issues, usually having to do with italics, font size, or spacing.

What's the easy way to do this?

It seems like the site interface isn't super-friendly to some aspect of how I'm accessing it (Mac, Word for Mac, something about Google Docs, copy/paste in general not getting the format right, etc.)

Thoughts?
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 03-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
O.o how the hell do you get any formatting to carry over? It's all plain text for me. Every time I post anything in WBA I have to go through manually adding all formatting.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Newcomb
Death Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
O.o how the hell do you get any formatting to carry over? It's all plain text for me. Every time I post anything in WBA I have to go through manually adding all formatting.
That's what I had to do for this last chapter. Before, I'd just copy/paste straight from Word, and it would look kinda off after I pasted it, and then I'd hit "Switch Editor Mode" and it would pop into the normal Verdana / normal size. Now, though, when I hit the Editor Mode button it puts [ I ] tags on every single line for some who-the-hell-knows reason.

I'm not tech-savvy enough to say this with any confidence, but shouldn't there be kind kind of "paste and match formatting" thing or a way to import Documents? It literally look me 45 minutes from when I wanted to post my new chapter to fiddling with it enough to post it correctly.

Not ruling out the possibility that I'm just an idiot, though, and missing an easy way to do it.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Radmar
Disappeared

I don't know much about this kind of thing, but maybe you try to could copy your text into some online bbcode converter (or this) and then post it into wba?

As I said, it's just a suggestion, I don't understand coding.

Last edited by Radmar; 03-12-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Radmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
Nauro
Headmaster

Send a message via Skype™ to Nauro
I have an edging-on-embarrasing workaround that works, but it takes me a couple of minutes:

1. Post the whole thing into a new post box on firefox. The formatting stays like it was, but the font and colors are all wrong.

2. Press a button that firefox editor has, and chrome does not - "Switch Editor Mode".

3. Copy the whole thing to a notepad.

4. delete all of the excess tags (font and color) via replacing with empty strings.

5. Somehow, the whole post gets wrapped in an extra [ B ] tag. Delete both of them - the opening one at the start, and the closing one at the end.

6. Copy and paste the whole thing in chrome, in the thread you want to.

7. ???

8. Post-it.
/VVVV\
Nauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
I've taken to writing with DLP formatting in Word. As in, if I want italics, I wrap it in the tags as I'm writing instead of using the italics button. I bold chapter titles and center scene breaks the same way. That way when I post on DLP, I just have to redo the line breaks with Enter and I'm good to go.

It's still a bit tedious if the post is large, but at least now I don't have to manually look for and insert all the italics and format scene breaks, which was a major pain.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
So this is really weird. I've never been able to paste any text with formatting into DLP; it's always just come out as plain text entirely. Not bad formatting, just no formatting at all. I didn't even realise anything else was possible until this thread.

I just opened DLP up in Internet Explorer. No change to my DLP settings, just my browser. It works O.o I can paste stuff into the reply box and it has formatting.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 03-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
Steelbadger
High Inquisitor

It depends on browser.

I use Firefox for posting as it carries formatting across (but gets rid of line spaces between paragraphs if pasted from FFN doc manager, annoyingly). If I want to edit a post then I use Chrome as big posts disappear completely into the aether when I hit edit in Firefox.

I write stuff in Google Docs (used to use Word and OneDrive but it became annoying on my tablet). The route to reach DLP works like this:
  1. Copy to Word (formatting maintained).
  2. Select all, set Style to normal (colour, font and size removed, italics, bold, underline and justification all stay).
  3. Copy to DLP in Firefox (Chrome would just lose the remaining formatting).
Alternatively, when I was working straight from Word and not putting in extra spaces between paragraphs I would do a search and replace (search for ^p and replace with ^p^p) then copy the result to DLP on Firefox. Always use the default/normal style in Word or weird things might happen.

Only slight issue with this way is if you want to use multiple fonts, colours or sizes.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Similar to Nauro. On Opera (the old one), I can turn on the WYSIWYG-mode of the editor (this is the "A/A" button on the upper, right-most corner of the editor), but it only works kinda. I copy my Word doc into it, switch to the raw-mode, and then I typically have double-spaced lines, and the odd wrong colour or font. So I copy the raw/code view back out into a different Word doc, Search & Substitute (Ctrl+H) to remove the double spacing and also clear up the wrong tags, then copy it back into the editor and post it.

Takes maybe five minutes or so. I think I posted a how-to guide basically saying what I just said somewhere once too, I'll see if I can find it.
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
I don't know if it's possible to implement, but it seems a solution to this would be the ability to upload documents and have the formatting be converted automatically.

I posted that suggestion to DLP Uservoice, if any of you want to vote for it.

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote