Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 08-21-2016, 05:23 AM   #1
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
Taure's Fics (Archive)

So I decided to clean up my FF.Net profile, removing the fics that I'm not happy with or am (at least in theory) planning on re-writing. But I know some people might still want access to the fics I'm removing, so I made a DropBox folder with all my fics as of 21 August 2016.

The link to the DropBox folder is here.

Here's the titles and summaries of the fics that are being removed:

Quote:
Alexandra Potter

By: Taure

First year fem!Harry AU. Alexandra Potter has finally come to Hogwarts, where she will meet new friends and discover a world of magic. But will an escalating rivalry threaten all that she's built? Character-driven story, lots of world building. No canon rehash, no bashing.

Rated: Fiction M - English - Harry P., Albus D., Susan B., OC - Chapters: 14 - Words: 119,036 - Reviews: 436 - Favs: 858 - Follows: 761 - Updated: Jan 23, 2014 - Published: Jul 8, 2012 - Status: Complete - id: 8299839
Quote:
In Essence Divided

Post-CoS divergence. Something goes wrong in the Chamber of Secrets, fundamentally altering Harry. Can he keep the changes a secret? What do they mean for his future? DLP February 2012 Contest runner-up. Not a soul bond story.

Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure - Harry P., Ginny W. - Chapters: 4 - Words: 37,324 - Reviews: 177 - Favs: 560 - Follows: 722 - Updated: Jul 2, 2012 - Published: Mar 12, 2012 - id: 7917665
Quote:
Secrets

One Shot. Harry Potter, Director of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, hates secrets. Dark story, not for children. Post-DH, adult Harry.

Rated: Fiction M - English - Drama/Tragedy - Harry P. - Words: 3,115 - Reviews: 39 - Favs: 254 - Follows: 76 - Published: Jul 1, 2012 - Status: Complete - id: 8272476
Quote:
Titles

Pure crack. Harry gains a few unconventional titles.

Rated: Fiction T - English - Humor - Harry P., Hermione G. - Words: 2,094 - Reviews: 33 - Favs: 140 - Follows: 34 - Published: Mar 9, 2011 - Status: Complete - id: 6810129
Quote:
Yes, Minister

A new Muggle Prime Minister has been elected, and it's time for him to meet the Minister for Magic. Only, things don't go quite as smoothly as normal...One shot

Rated: Fiction K - English - Suspense/Drama - Words: 1,242 - Reviews: 227 - Favs: 1,159 - Follows: 228 - Published: Jun 14, 2008 - Status: Complete - id: 4321429
Quote:
Return

It's 2200, and the world has known peace for hundreds of years. Now, a dark power thought to be destroyed is returning, and the world shall find itself woefully unprepared. Meanwhile, at Hogwarts, an interesting artifact is found by a young first year. ABANDONED

Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure - Harry P., OC - Chapters: 7 - Words: 34,063 - Reviews: 60 - Favs: 90 - Follows: 110 - Updated: Apr 5, 2008 - Published: Feb 18, 2007 - id: 3401007
Quote:
The End

OneShot. A little exploration of what would happen if wizards and Muggles could not coexist as peacefully as they have so far.

Rated: Fiction T - English - Harry P. - Words: 1,683 - Reviews: 39 - Favs: 147 - Follows: 34 - Published: Dec 28, 2006 - Status: Complete - id: 3312878
Quote:
Silence

Oneshot. A small take on a fateful meeting of the International Confederation of Warlocks.

Rated: Fiction K - English - Words: 1,280 - Reviews: 15 - Favs: 81 - Follows: 21 - Published: Nov 22, 2006 - Status: Complete - id: 3256083

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
Celestin
Half-Blood Prince

Personally, I disagree with removing fics from ffn. I have one that I'm not really happy with, but since it was there for so many years and there are people who added it to their favourites, I leave it be.

That said you're removing my favourite fics of yours before you finished it (In Essence Divided). You monster.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #3
Innomine
Auror

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,500
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
I can understand the removal of most of these fics, but I question your removal of Alexandra Potter. I feel like that fic is a cut above the rest of what you are removing, though I must admit to having not read it for quite some time.
Innomine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Oz
fics.taure.gz

<chatter> prophet muhammad peace be upon him was sent to destroy the musical instruments
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
Download
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Going to have to agree with everyone else.

You only remove a fic if it's complete trash. I've only read Yes, Minister and Alexandra Potter, and neither are trash. I still like Alexandra Potter alot.
Download is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #6
Republic
Chief Warlock
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,495
I think you'd be fine with keeping everything but Alexandra Potter.

More seriously, good idea to keep them still available to people who might want to revisit for whatever reason.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
My life, for Aiur... ... For the Alliance
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

You know Taure this is kind of a pain having to create an account on dropbox just to download your wonderful fics. Is there anyway you could post them on something like google docs?
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Ncjeur
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter North View Post
You know Taure this is kind of a pain having to create an account on dropbox just to download your wonderful fics. Is there anyway you could post them on something like google docs?
You don't have to create an account to download the files, it works just fine without one. Just close the window where you're asked to create an account and click on the story you want to view.
Ncjeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:30 AM   #9
Mordecai
Groundskeeper
Drunken Scotsman

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,485
You could have created a dropbox account in the time it took you to make that post, its not exactly a difficult thing to do...

Also Taure, seeing this made me go back and reread Yes, Minister. Always good for chuckle!
Old 08-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
Taure, you dingus, there were much better ways of going about this.
  1. Leave the old stories and upload new ones for your revised versions
  2. Just update the contents of your original stories as you go
  3. Only delete your fics when you're already done with the rewrites so you can upload the new version immediately
  4. Realise it's silly to get so strung-up on fanfiction you wrote when you were younger and just leave them the fuck alone

I understand feeling shitty at your past attempts at writing: you look back on it and it all seems so clumsy, so stupid, and you spot a million things you hate, all so obvious in hindsight. I understand wanting to wipe it off the face of the earth because you don't want people seeing your mistakes.

But this isn't the way. You've already written them and learned from them - people have already read them. You haven't gained anything from pulling them all off your profile - your fans have only lost something. Particularly since you haven't even written the revised versions you'd like to have yet.

It's not the same, but my mother wrote a book once, by hand on pages and pages of paper bound together. And then one day she hated herself, and she hated that book, enough to hurl it into the fireplace and reduce it to ashes. Maybe it wasn't any good, maybe it was... but I'd always wanted to read it. And she regretted it.

This isn't the same, Taure - you've got copies - but doesn't it snack of the same fruitless insecurities? You didn't gain anything here. You only made life more difficult on the people who love your writing.

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #11
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
I don't need to justify what I do with my property to anyone, but in any case, I've gained plenty from it.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 08-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #12
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
I removed three fics from FFN at one point or another, so I understand where Taure is coming from. It's his prerogative to do what he wants with his fanfiction.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #13
chaosattractor
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindrome View Post
Taure, you dingus, there were much better ways of going about this.
You do realize you're not entitled to a single word he writes?

In any case I haven't read these fics and I don't think I will, if Taure is planning to rewrite them. I can wait a year or two.
chaosattractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
Nae
Unspeakable
The Violent

I'm with Drome in spirit but completely agree with Taure on doing whatever he feels like with things that he owns. It's his call entirely.

Edit:

Quote:
I feel like people here take this sentiment a bit too far. Nobody is "entitled" sure, but when you have a fan base and have created an expectation, I think the fair thing to do to is to try to live up to it. IMO It applies especially strongly when you are making profit from something, so when GRRM or Rothfuss don't come out with books for years and their fans hit back by saying people shouldn't be entitled to it, that strikes me a bit too over the top.

Of course, none of this applies to this case as it's fan fiction and your point is actually somewhat valid here but just wanted to brain-dump my thoughts on this.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder,
We danced among the lightning bolts,
And tore the world asunder.

He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind was gone.

N - Na - Nae - Naeb - Naebl - Naebli - Naeblis - aeblis - eblis - blis - lis - is - s -

<3 Minion

Last edited by Nae; 08-21-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Nae is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 08-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #15
CleanRag
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
I don't need to justify what I do with my property to anyone, but in any case, I've gained plenty from it.
I am reminded of playing foursquare as a child. When one of the players got beat and didn't like it, he grabbed his ball and didn't allow anyone else to play anymore. He was completely allowed to do so, it was his ball, but that doesn't mean he wasn't being a royale twat either.

No Taure, you don't have to justify what you do with your property to anyone. That doesn't mean we aren't allowed to judge you when you act like a dick though. As Palindrome listed, there are other ways you could have done this without preventing your fans from rereading some of their favorite stories.
CleanRag is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 08-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #16
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosattractor View Post
Entitled? That's a bit of an aggressive return to a post about the pitfalls of self-loathing, isn't it? Frankly, I haven't read anything Taure's written, and I'm not planning to - but I do care about his mental state.

In my experience - personal, and from what I've seen from others - people usually do this sort of thing when they're too caught up in disappointment with themselves that they stop seeing the bigger picture. Hating what you've made is a wretched spiral into obsessive perfectionism - trust me, I know that one all too well. If you get as stuck on everything needing to be perfect as I do, you'll realise that you never really get anywhere with things, never share your work with the world and never really enjoy having made it at all.

It's not a good place to be in. Maybe I was reaching when I applied the same thought processes to Taure, but if not then I don't mind sharing what I think I needed to know a long time ago: you should celebrate what you've done, not what you could do.

Anyway, this may all be irrelevant. If Taure says he's happy with it, then that's what matters. I hope you understand where I'm coming from when I talk about this, though. If you're a writer in a depressive spiral, it's important to recognise that and take a few steps back.

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

STEAM PROFILE
Old 08-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #17
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanRag View Post
No Taure, you don't have to justify what you do with your property to anyone. That doesn't mean we aren't allowed to judge you when you act like a dick though. As Palindrome listed, there are other ways you could have done this without preventing your fans from rereading some of their favorite stories.
He didn't act like a dick and he didn't prevent fans from reading his stories - that's what the dropbox link is for. The problem I had is that I believed what he did didn't help him. That's why if Taure says he's happy with it, then that's that.

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

STEAM PROFILE
Old 08-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #18
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Oz
You absolute cunt Taure, making it marginally more difficult to acquire your fics (but in a more consumable manner). Tosser.

<chatter> prophet muhammad peace be upon him was sent to destroy the musical instruments
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #19
Tsar
Third Year

I've adjusted the file in the opening post to remove Alexandra Potter. That story was a mistake on so many different levels that the only recourse is absolute deletion. It cannot be fixed, it is broken on a fundamental level that simple a rewrite cannot undo. Attempting to fix structure, pacing, tone and characterization is completely pointless.

I should never have tried to bend my grand designs to fit the criticisms leveled at me when I was posting. The story suffered for it and I couldn't quite tell why. Never bend to populist rhetoric.

The rewrite is abandoned, the 27 chapters that were finished have been relegated to the trash.

Alexandra was an insufferable, unfixable cunt.

There is some good news, however. After continual goading from people on Reddit, I've decided to finish The One He Feared.
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #20
Erotic Adventures of S
The Chosen One

Unless this is a April fools joke I'm sorry to see that fic go. I enjoyed your original copy of it far more than once you started tweaking it removing the unique society you had been trying to portray.

I very much enjoyed the world building you had started, your portrayal of Diagon Ally and Hogsmead was very rich.

Would you be willing to post or PM the story notes like you did for Lords of Magic. One of the aspects I enjoyed in this fic and Santis is seeing when and how the protagonist develops, how advanced they are and what milestones they reach and when.

At what level was Alexandra going to be at 13, 15, 17?

Glad you are doing the one he feared, a more interesting story but with a more restrained world so far.

Nothing. It will never come. Death before defeat. You can kill me, destroy my soul, destroy my magic, but you cannot defeat me. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. And you may destroy my magic, but not before I destroy everything of this world that I can…including your magic and soul. There is no defeat.
Erotic Adventures of S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alexandra potter, archive, author: taure, in essence divided, taure