1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot All Problems Solved by Ruskbyte - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by hchan1, Aug 3, 2008.

1. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

Title: All Problems Solved
    Author: Ruskbyte
    Category: Horror/Mystery
    DLP Category: The Alternate's
    Rating: M
    Words: 40,104
    Published: August 3, 2008
    Link: (ff.net): http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4446981/1/All-Problems-Solved

Link (FFA): http://ruskbyte.fanficauthors.net/All_Problems_Solved/index.php
    Summary:The puzzle is complete and the doorway open once more. With his memory curiously and painfully blank, Draco must find the missing Boy-Who-Lived... because if his mistakes catch up with him, they will tear his soul apart.

It's a sequel (of sorts) to Evil Be Thou My Good. What more needs to be said?

Sucks to be Malfoy. 5/5

The Prequel:
    Title: Evil Be Thou My Good
    DLP-Thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=143
    Link (ff.net): http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2452681/1/
    Link (FFA): http://ruskbyte.fanficauthors.net/Evil_Be_Thou_My_Good/index/

Checked by Minion, September 1, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  2. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

5/5. As if the sequel to EBTMG would get less. And it's 50,000 words of beating up on Malfoy. Sweet.

I really wasn't a fan of his other recent HP fic with the Culture and assorted crap but this one is fun.

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I was slightly iffy about this, since it was Draco-centric for the first half, but once more the build-up was more than worth it. Full marks.

4. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I may hate Draco with a serious bit of a passion, but I'm glad Ruskbyte decided to do something with EBTMG. Excellent stuff all the way around. 4.5/5

5. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

Damn, this fic was awesome. On the edge of your seat the whole time. Like some twisted mystery that we needed to see end. 5/5 as per the usual for Ruskbyte's fics.

6. DarkObelisk

DarkObelisk Squib

5/5
    It should be entered into the annual Draco kill off.

7. David

David Squib

April 13th, 2007; Friday 13th. I really liked this "sequel", you don't notice it is a sequel until you have read a bit.

5/5

8. Modgudr

Modgudr First Year

I personally enjoyed the confusion going through Draco's mind.

Between blending "reality" and Draco's memories, I could not tell for some time that he was already in the Labyrinth; the end though was rather confusing, because it kept alternating between "reality" and reality.

Very solid work.

9. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

Great writing by Ruskbyte as always. The ends felt longer than it should be though. 5/5

10. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Well, that is a way to get rid of all your more annoying/dangerous enemies I guess. Or maybe just those looking for power above their station, ability, and right.

Yeah, I never expected a sequel to this either and it isn't nearly as good as it's infamous prequel. It is however not bad.

Draco so got what he deserved. 9/10.

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I'm no fan of horror shit, but Ruskbyte has drawn me in again with this sequel. No complaints at all: top-notch writing, killing Draco...what more is there to say?

5/5

12. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    All Problems Solved

Title: All Problems Solved
    Author: Ruskbyte
    Rating: Mature
    Genre: Horror
    DLP Category: Dark Arts
    Pairing: Harry/Hermione but it really has nothing to do with the story
    Summary: The puzzle is complete and the doorway open once more. With his memory curiously and painfully blank, Draco must find the missing Boy-Who-Lived... because if his mistakes catch up with him, they will tear his soul apart.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4446981/2/All_Problems_Solved

This is the unexpected sequel to Ruskbyte's Evil Be Thou My Good and just as the beginning was it is very interesting. This primarily revolves around Draco and I know that might put a lot of you off but trust me when I say its worth reading to the end. I give it a 4/5 only because I think the very last bit of it was fairly pointless.

13. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

14. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Damn I just got the update email about him posting it on FF.net so I didn't think to look anywhere else, well damn if a mod comes across this could they get rid of it for me?

15. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Very well written, but it wasn't able to draw me in like the first one. I stopped reading about 3/4 the way through because of this.

3/5

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Too much Draco, too little Harry.

2/5.

I couldn't get into this at all. The first one is one of my favorite stories of all time, I couldn't stop reading what I started, but it took me all morning to read this because I got too bored and went and did something else. Honestly, there's nothing in this story I like, other than the extremely good writing (which is why it gets a 2/5 in the first place). It was uninteresting, barely graphic, and annoying most of the time. I'm just glad it was a one shot.

17. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I had to skim this as I couldn't really get into it. Im not a fan of Non-Harry centric storys but considering the first story I gave this a chance.

This story seemed to be as well writen as Evil Be Thou My Good but the lack of 'Harry' in it ruined it for me.

3/5

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  18. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I fucking loved Evil Be Thou My Good. But there was something missing here.
    The way Harry uses the puzzle box as bait to his enemies is genius.
    And almost always the scenes with the Cenobites are great. But this was so much Draco and Draco and Draco. The bits that really struck a nerve and got me eager to keep reading were fewer and farther between than in the original. Not enough Pinhead, not enough gore, not enough Harry. Plenty of intrigue and suspense to carry my interest to keep on reading.

In the end it was far less satisfying than the first. Structurally, the pace would work better if I didn't already hate Draco and have my mind made up on him.

Overall though, it is a partially disappointing, impressive but not that impressive follow-up to a truly brilliant fic. I still think it deserves a place in the library and will give it 4/5. But I've read Evil Be Thou My Good over two dozen times and I know I will re-read it again someday. This one though, I may revisit with fresher eyes and lowered expectations. But not more than once or twice.

In Ruskbyte's section of the FFA.net forums, I made a call for a sequel that I'd still love to see. Here's what I said back on March 5, 2007:
    I've no clue about the Hellraiser mythos to know how possible or impossible that'd be. But that's what I wanted: more Harry, more Pinhead, and more violence, horror, and gore.

19. dyslexicfaser

dyslexicfaser First Year

I was a fan - though not a rabid fan - of Evil Be Thou Good (that fic really was Ruskbyte's high point), and I'll echo what others have said: not bad, pretty good in fact. There's nowhere that I can point to and say, 'Ruskbyte could have done this better.' That said... I wish I was reading nonjon's suggested sequel instead.

Because that idea has some fucking fantastic potential.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  20. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

I kinda liked the new point of view. It was different. It showed how much Draco was being led around by the nose and we just had to see what the hell happened to him.