1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Eternally Yours by Princess of Wands - T - HP/LL - Complete

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Darje, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

Title:Eternally Yours
    Author:princess of Wands
    Rating:T
    Genre: Drama/Romance
    DLP Category: Romance
    Pairing:HP/LL
    Summary:Luna has a secret admirer whose gifts and letters cause the school to speculate. But as the messages become more sinister and even dangerous, it's up to Harry to save her before it's too late.

Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2086137/1/Eternally_Yours

I've searched the library list and Dark Syaoran's list of rejected fics and didn't find this anywhere on either of them.

Minimal spelling and grammar problems as far as I could tell. It gets a bit angsty near the middle but it does have a satisfying end to wipe that away. It's only 31k words in 9 chapters, but the story told in that time was brilliant in my opinion.

2. Neisseria

Neisseria First Year

I enjoyed it as a quick read. The mystery behind Luna's admirer was well paced and I particularly liked how Harry's feelings towards Luna changed over time.

Luna's character was a bit less eccentric than I liked, but pretty good compared to most portrayals.

I'd give it 4/5. It was a neat idea that was well executed, but it lacked anything truly outstanding happening to bump it up to a 5.

3. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

I swear I've read a short story almost exactly like this but with original characters. I even remember the balcony scene from the other story. Anyway... it's a good story but for the reason it is basically inserting HP characters into the positions of another story I give it a 2.5/5 rounded up to 3.

4. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

It wasn't bad. 3/5. There were some typical ideas, like where Harry was sort of overly concerned, Hermione lead everything bad to dissing homework and classes, and Ron was an overly protective big brother. But those are understandable.

What I didn't like about it was the fa la la lovey dovey stuff near the end where everythign was okay.

Meh. Soso.

5. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Meh. The story didn't interest me.

6. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Me neither. I didn't really like it. And it's basically CanonHarry anyway.

7. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Eh, a strong beginning, but the story tapers off with
    the bad guy being a death eater and Luna suddenly acting 'normal'.

The writing wasn't exactly bad, but I don't think it's worth putting in the library. It's pretty insubstantial, especially the ending, which feels rushed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  8. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Nice spoiling there, buddy.

9. Cy Block

Cy Block Second Year

I tried to figure out why I had such a hard time with this, why I couldn’t even force myself to keep reading. Why even skimming over much of it, didn’t allow me to get to the end. I suspected that the story was shit, but I was blaming myself. I looked at it again. The story might be okay, but I don’t know if I have ever encountered less competent writing. There are over 80 adverbs in chapter two. I understand why my eyes keep closing. The constant qualifiers of, well, everything, are unbearable. I gave this 2/5 and am afraid that I might have been generous. Kill it with fire.

10. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

This is a great story. I really don't understand why everybody seems to be lukewarm to it.

The first chapter and its fairy-tale style is so different. It's not like fanfiction; it's the most professional level writing I've seen for a long time.

And in the first chapter, the author has already established Luna's character as a bullied figure masterfully.

It's comparable to Tehan's fic. The two draw upon such different interpretations of Luna Lovegood, and they have completely different styles of writing, but both are amazing stories. And somehow I feel that this interpretation of Luna is far more realistic.

The villain is extremely sympathetic. Luna is well characterized.

Finally, it's a short read - only 30,000 words. I find it particularly skillful when the author kept his chapters short and to the point and yet was still able to weave a fine tale.

Highly recommended. Fanfiction you do not see every month.

4/5

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    This wasn't a bad story, but I didn't feel as if it were great by any stretch. The last several paragraphs, in particular, were very awkward to read in their corniness.

The worst part, for me, though, was the contrived nature of the climax.
    Why didn't Harry just go to Dumbledore and get a portkey for Luna and him? That should have been an obvious step. And why weren't any teachers at all bothered by what was going on with Luna and the anonymous gifts and messages, all of which were public and conspicuous?

These things just bugged me throughout and diminished my enjoyment of an otherwise decently written story. For a first effort, it was okay; it just rubbed me the wrong way, I suppose. 2.5/5.

12. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Didn't read past chapter 8.

Perspicacity's spoiler problem pissed me of royally as well.

I hated Luna's charaterization.

Edit: It really irks me when people put emoticons in thread titles, I don't know why.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008