1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP One With Magic by RockIll - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Lucas13, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

Title: One With Magic
    Author: RockIll
    Rating: M
    DLP Genre: The Alternates
    Pairing: ???
    Summary: Harry Potter was in hell from the moment he was left on the Dursley's steps. When he kills his muggle relatives at eight and is thrown in a Juvenile Delinquency Institute, his life takes in directions that only I could think of!

Link: FF.Net

Decided to try to get this thing into the library. Only five chapters on FFN so far, but its been on for only a week. Quite original so far.

2. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

At a quick glance, it looks above-average or so, with some fairly exaggerated Dursley!Abuse (but I guess that's the whole point).

Will rate and repost once I've read it all through.

---------- Post automerged at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

A'ight, from what I can tell so far, it's a bit early to rate. It's only just starting to get to the real meat-and-bone of the story - Harry's outta Sirkin's by now and he's just met a Wizard.

If I had to vote right now, I'd say 3.5/5 (rounded to 4), but the story can either get spectacularly better or spectacularly worse from here on out.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, it appears that the writer occasionally writes slash and het, so be warned that this story could turn out to have a bisexual/gay Harry.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  3. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

The dancing bananas initially made me think this story would be terrible, but it's not bad.
    Only major quirk is that the author seems to believe the UK is some third-world country in regards to it's justice system.
    3/5

EDIT:
    I take it back. This story is fucking stupid. It's like Oz if it starred teenagers, i.e. shit. 0/5

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

If it would only stop there but it continues with a 9 year old being thrown into some kind of older male prison. The last chapter even had some physical beating in the shower. What's wrong with that picture ?
    In the past such idiotic concepts used 17 year old girls but the imagination of pedo-slashers sets new imaginary standards.

The first 1-2 chapters only gave a hint of Dexter but you better skip that misguided allusion quickly because it's only about some overthetop emo
    concept.

5. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

Actually it picks up in the latter chapters. Its not really a emo concept. If features a Harry that doesnt that shit from anyone, and about the Gay/Bi thing, I dont think hes going that way since Harry only mentions having an affair with a nurse. I agree with that the author seems to believe the UK is some third-world country in regards to it's justice system, but its fiction for a reason .
    I agree with EinStern about the fic really starting now, but IT is quite original in comparison with a lot of new fics out there.
    So rating it a 4/5 so far.

6. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

It was alright, I guess. But not library worthy.

/filler

7. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

Yeah, it probably shouldn't go into the library just yet, I think. Chapter six seems to be where the story actually begins rather than explore Harry's life as an inmate at Sirkin's, and how he got in and out of there. Oh, and yeah, he can do some wandless magic like being invisible for about an hour at a time and conjuring flames that aren't hot, and floating balls of light that are hot. Oh, and make himself stronger, too. That's how he killed the Dursleys, y'know (as this happens in the very first chapter and is mentioned in the summary I don't really consider it a spoiler).

Still, at worst it should be in the recycling bin, IMO.

8. ShadowKat

ShadowKat Second Year

I was somewhat interested and then this happened..

Harry felt it coming from within him. He could not control it. It bubbled slowly up from deep within him. The pulse was beating painfully and burning like lava. And just when the gun went off in the man's hand, something erupted from Harry's eyes. The bullet met a beam of green light inches away from Harry's face. The bullet spun there in front of Harry as though it wished for nothing more than to impale itself in Harry's head, but something was keeping it from completing the goal.

2/5 from me for a somewhat interesting plot, but there are a few grammar errors.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Cyclops!Harry?

/filler

10. Xenks

Xenks Second Year DLP Supporter

This story has me in an odd way. I'm pretty sure Harry has flat out said he could escape whenever he wants to, but for some reason a life sentence is considered bad. That, and the third world justice system bother me. But for some reason, I keep hoping for an update so I can see what happens next. For that reason alone, I can't give it less than a 3/5.

11. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

Yeah, I agree with you. I usually dont like this kind of fics, but, the way I see it,
    this one could go amazingly bad or good.

12. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

It's got me as well. I can't explain why, but I'm enjoying it. Everything thing about it says that I shouldn't read it, but it's interesting in a guilty pleasure sort of way.

I'll give it a 3/5 for keeping my attention, something many fics, even really good ones, have failed at lately.

13. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I like stories like this, although most of them are absolute shit. It's a bit early for this one, but due to the fact that it was interesting, kept my attention, and had me wanting more, I give it a 4/5.

Looks like the pace is starting to pick up as it seems like Harry's time in prison is soon coming to an end, and hopefully he gets introduced to the magical world sometime in the next few chapters. Nice update rate so far. I wonder if the author can keep it up.

14. Shadowface

Shadowface Squib

Don't know why he's 16 and not in Hogwarts yet. I mean, sure he killed them, but what's a little accidental magic between friends? Oh right, it wasn't accidental magic, it was murder...by wandless magic.
    Tch.
    2/5

15. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

Well, chances are Voldemort used someones blood (not Harry's) to resurrect for some reason (probably because he didn't pause to think that he could be at some place like Sirkin's), and now he's come into the open (probably due to Neville or something) and the whole WW realized that, "Hey! Let's get the Boy-Who-Lived-to-Kill out of that cell so he can get to killing Voldemort like he did was he was like, one! If he could do it then, then surely he can do it now!"

Hopefully, Harry will tell them where to stick it. As mentioned by a lot of people, this fic is at the point where it either goes completely to hell or leaps to the heavens.

16. neopyro

neopyro Third Year

A good read. Definitely original. Some of the action was...cheesy but it held up all right. I'm interested in seeing where this goes now that Harry's a free man.

17. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I've definitely liked what has been writen so far and the writing seems pretty solid. There were a couple of grammar mistakes but they weren't too bad; it happens to the best of us. There have been a few juvenile delinquent stories that I've read before but this one actually pulled it off pretty well.

Unfortunately, I've looked at the authors other fics, it looks like it will probably end up being slash.

But, hey, if the writer proves me wrong I'll be deliriously happy! TBH, even if it did have slash in it, I would still read it. I'm kind of fic starved at the moment.

18. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

Updated. Looks good so far... HP's not quite as openly bitter as I'd like him to be, but so far it all looks-

[Author's Note]
    A brief chapter, sorry. I was slightly more focused on my other story The Return.
    I'm uncertain where I want to take Harry's relationship in this story, I was considering Harry/multi, Harry/ Draco, or none. Any suggestions? read, enjoy, and review. I love reading reviews that are constructive criticisms or insightful! Thanks

I can tolerate slash. I can't tolerate this. Kill. It. With. Fire.

[of course, it's only mentioned as a possibility, so there's that]

19. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

This sentence sent warning bells in my head a-ringing. It sounds like a precursor to a soul bond kind of thing.

It starts off good. Harry's bad ass and the Dursley's are dead but now it looks like he wants to get adopted by the Malfoy's.

IT'S A TRAP!!! :eek:

20. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

Eh-hem. No, that's not it at all. There was some Malfoy who tried to visit Harry and tell him he's a wizard some time back; he remembers about it near the end of the chapter.