1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Something Unforgivable by Bleedndreamz - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Roma, May 1, 2011.

1. Roma

Roma Fourth Year

Title: Something Unforgivable
    Author: Bleedndreamz
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance/Drama
    DLP Category: Dark Arts/Independent
    Pairing: Harry/Daphne
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 16,946
    Updated: May 11, 2011
    Published: April 29, 2011

Summary: Around the Tri-Wizard Tournament, Harry is left alone to face off against the unknown tasks. Harry is left with the option of facing his trials alone, or accepting help from an unlikely Slytherin individual that wants him to do Something Unforgivable.

Probably still too early to give a proper review, but it is off to an interesting and fairly unique start. Daphne's personality, in particular, seems to be well done.

4.5/5 for now.

Checked by Minion, June 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  2. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Link maybe?

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is there any reason I should continue reading past the point where Daphne starts randomly touching him?

4. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I'll go ahead and get the obvious out of the way. Too early to rate.

That said. Time skip? No. All-knowing-Daphne? No. Harry being completely and utterly alone to further the plot was a bit of a stretch. Him being blindsided by Daphne's beauty was also a but much.

So the plot is stretched and at times flimsy, though the author says it will not employ the worst of the cliches. A nice list at the bottom, too.

TBH, I never made it to the second chapter. For those that wank to Harry/Daphne, this will probably be a nice guilty pleasure for you. For those that enjoy such stories with the sentence structure and the like readable, this story is like that. For that alone I would rate it 3/5, because it is pretty decent writing.

But, it's too soon, and I don't think I'll be following it.

5. ItsAProcess

ItsAProcess Fourth Year

3.5/5

Of course, as the above poster has mentioned, it's also very early. There are a couple problems I can point out with ease, such as clunky dialogue and seemingly flimsy characterizations, but these are both things which could improve with time and a bit more writing experience.

I'll likely follow this for a few more chapters to see if it improves. If it does so it could come to make the cut without too much trouble.

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Huh. This is surprisingly good. The plot bunny is interesting, and so far not badly handled, although of course we aren't very far in yet. Remains to be seen if the author can portray the reactions of his friends, Dumbledore etc. without jumping the shark in the next chapters.

Apart from the interesting set-up, it's mostly the things it doesn't have that stand out:

:| @iLost.

I like this version of Daphne (and no "Ice-Queen" kinda makes it better than most by default). One of the more decent starts recently.

7. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

4/5

Though it would be good to have bigger chapters. And mostly what Sesc said

8. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I agree with Sesc. I will also punch Roma in the ovaries if reccing this fic too soon kills any shot of it getting into the library. 4/5, Moar Daphne nao.

9. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

The writing is nothing special, and there are a number of errors in grammar; in particular, I am annoyed that the author is incapable of distinguishing your and you're. Simple stuff.

They also seem to have problems with understanding how to use commas. Making mistakes like this. Whether it is a case of the author making typos or simply a lack of basic grammar, I don't know. However. It is annoying.

With regards to the story itself: I am a sucker for Harry/ Daphne fics. I like this Daphne so far -the lack of cliche!Ice Queen is refreshing, and I am intrigued as to her motives - but the characters will need to be written in much more depth before I can begin to give a real analysis on that front. At the rate at which the author is passing the time in the fic, however, I'm not sure we're going to get to see many different sides to the characters. It feels as if there are scenes missing unneccessarily - why skip scenes such as the one where
    Daphne tires to convince him to use the Killing Curse?
    It's no doubt an important scene, and we, the readers, are not going to get the maximum from the story if all the author shows are two lines of italicised text.

I'm jus' sayin'.

At this point, it is a little early to rate. In case what I've written above hasn't made it clear, I'm not overly enamoured with this fic, and I doubt the situation will improve.

3/5 at this point, for at least holding my interest until the end of the second chapter. This can rise or fall by a full point depending on where the author takes it next and whether the writing itself improves or not.

EDIT: Here is a copy of my review on ff.net:

I also left a brief note at the end of chapter one about your/you're and commas.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  10. Sesc

The time isn't skipped here and neither passing fast. The first scene is set one day before the first task. Then Harry remembers what happened two days ago, after that back to the present from the first scene, where Harry accepts her help. And then we are one day later, at the first task.

I'm not really sure I'm particularly eager to see Harry training, since it can turn out dull quite easily. The most important thing there would be their interactions, and we can have that in any other scene too, in the end. So while it might've been nice to have, it's not something that isn't fixable and can't be made up for later in the story. IMO.

11. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

Didn't realise the first scene was just one day before the first task - fail on my part.

However, I think the point about the missing scenes still stands, chiefly because it is such a leap from canon. I mean, we here at DLP are all fairly used to Harry throwing round the Unforgivables by now, but, in my opinion, that doesn't mean you can simply jump to that point without some fairly major, justified character adjustment. And I like to see it justified by more than a few lines saying his friends left him and some new grey Slytherin turned up to instruct him.

12. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Time skip equals scene skip. A scene in which a completely hot stranger tries to convince Harry to use a spell that killed his parents and nearly killed him. I'm sorry, just no. On top of that, that scene should have been there, because that is the moment where Canon!Harry would have slowly diverged into what the author wanted. It would have been the crux of their relationship together. Her slowly leading him where ever she wanted him to go.

Instead, it is glossed over.

Also, imagine a puppy abandoned on the street, being taken in by a stranger because the stranger rubbed it's tummy and fed it.

I don't like Harry being a puppy so easily swayed. The school may have been against him, but there were others he could have gone to for help. The Weasley Twins maybe? A random hot stranger? Meh.

That is just one example.

Another was how Daphne has all the answers he needs. The rules just conveniently spoon fed to Harry. I can see that because she wanted him to succeed, but the rules of the tournament trumping Ministry law? Too much of a stretch for me.

Ahem...

All this being said, for those hoping this does make it farther, not abandoned, there is hope. Dude has written a lot in the the Naruto fandom it seems and a lot of those appear to be decent lengths. I might look into this again in a few thousand words, because problems with plot aside, it is written pretty decently.

Also, Sesc....I <3 Daphne, too, just not enough to bump up a score for her.

13. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

What's with those randomly italized paragraphs in Chapter 1? Other than that, it's a decent start, but nothing more. What intrigued me particularly is that the author made Harry the only one to not know about the dragons.

14. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This fic is fairly bad to be fair. The most grating thing being the whole "Killing curse used by farmers DURRRRRRRRRRRR" bit.

Red
  15. Sesc

Of course I spent an entire review talking about Daphne. Or maybe it was one single sentence. Yeah, try again please.

Or alternately, if that's all you have to say, feel free to fuck off. You'll notice I didn't rate the thing yet.

So. Now that the nice things are out of the way, to the actual content. The thing is that what you want is a totally different story. Harry and Daphne meeting, him learning stuff, "slowly diverging" into whatever, and 100,000 words later, he uses it. Which is absolutely boring fine, but it's not this story. In this story, him using it is the premise, and the story goes from there. And I'm fine with that, and my impression is positive because I'm not trying to have the story be something it isn't (as opposed to because your quote, which currently annoys me more than I can say.)

So @Jimmy, yeah, =/= what you said. But I always figured major adjustments of characters made at right at the beginning of a story were fine, as long as A) I like the adjustment and B) what follows was in-character within the story itself.

Both seems to be the case here, so far, so I have nothing to complain about in that regard.

Regarding the law, it seems entirely possible to me that Tournament rules can override Ministry Law, especially considering that the Ministry, as pointed out, is a fairly recent institution. That aside, it's not even needed, since the only thing that gets you a stay in Azkaban is using the Unforgivables on humans. That should have been his first defence, in fact. And that Daphne knew about it kinda, well, figures, since it was her idea in the first place. She'd have looked it up beforehand, or not suggested that plan.

@addictedforlive: I'm almost sure the entire second scene was meant to be italicised, since it's what Harry remembers. Looks like a formatting failure.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  16. ninjacom

ninjacom First Year

2/5

I like Harry/Daphne as much as the next guy but there's a number of things stopping me from actually liking this story.

The main thing that's killing any enjoyment possible from this story is this guy's writing style. It's already been mentioned that the author skips over some fairly important scenes with nothing more than an italicized sentence or two. You know how the Golden Rule of Exposition is Show, Don't Tell? Well, in this case it seems as if the author only understands this in a basic sense; he just doesn't give the reader much information at all about these important plot points.

There are so many places that he should have placed commas to make the story flow better. Misuses of "your" and "you're" also pepper the story with an alarming regularity.

To be blunt, the dialogue is bad. It's not the worse I've ever seen and it's definitely better than most stories on FF.net but it's still pretty bad. It's really stilted and feels very forced. You know there's something wrong with the way the characters speak in a story when you have gems like this:

and

:facepalm

I have to give the author some props for creating a premise interesting enough that I managed to ignore the grammar problems and the story flow issues to finish both chapters.

As it does not appear that author will deal with grammar, spelling, and story flow issues that make it extremely difficult to read, I'm giving this a 2/5.

P.S.

This paragraph keeps hurting my brain.

So the "theory crafters" could never block the deadliest of curses?

:facepalm

17. T3t

High Score:
    I like HP/DG as much as the next guy, so I went and read both chapters and was disappointed.

Ninjacom outlines my main problems with the story. Dialogue is really shitty, Daphne's bizarre interest in Harry for no currently discernible reason, her being all touchy-feely, etc. all add up to a messy pile of meh.

18. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

That was geared more towards Vlad than yourself, considering he did. And, if memory serves, I think you hold a special place in your heart for her. A disposition to a pairing, which is where I got the wank from. Sorry if I think people have a certain weakness for a pairing.

Mine is Harry/Luna.

When did I say all that? When I used slowly too much, maybe? The author has already stated that he would change Harry overtime, which is where I got slowly from.

On the story. They meet, she offers him help. Behind the scenes Harry willingly learns the Killing Curse, all the while saying the cost is too high. The next day they continue their conversation from the day before and Harry is forced to use the curse.

We are expected as readers to see his loneliness in the first part and thus feel his desperation because he has no friends. What doesn't work for me, is why is he learning a dark spell, if he has no reason to use it(Why didn't he seek help from Sirius? Why not look up something? I think it would have made the story stronger to see Daphne use her cunning to slowly strike down each of his ideas.) I see this training scene missing, which I'm guessing would include a lot of persuasion on Daphne's part and a lot reluctance on Harry's.

So no, I'm wanting some 100,000 long story of training and whatnot. Just a scene where the original tension between Daphne and Harry is shown. The story is going to be about them, so why have it excluded? If one such scene is missing now, what others will be glossed over?

This is something I agree with completely. Making me wonder if the author did it intentionally for maybe a later reveal? I'm pessimistic on that, though. Which is another reason why the story fails for me, because it would have made more sense to use that.

EDIT:

To be honest, that part of the fic actually intrigued me somewhat. The fact that I didn't know what her intentions were. So often they're completely spelled out.

19. Sesc

Not at all. I do. What annoyed me was exactly what I quoted: If I write that the initial idea is interesting, that has nothing to do with which character happens to be around. Which seemed to be the gist of your post.

Yes. It was also somewhat an answer to JC. And the point is around here:

Exactly. Had he been really adverse to it, he wouldn't even have learned it, and no amount of persuasion from Daphne or anyone would have made him. If you look at it from Canon perspective, that's the problem in the first place, and what makes the thing a characterisational mess. Having one training scene wouldn't fix anything, it'd still be odd. And that was why I bumped that scene back into nice to have, but not necessary, since I think it wouldn't have delivered what JC, for example, was looking for: a plausible reason for why Canon!Harry would learn the Killing Curse.

Edit:

And yes, that too. I'm hoping it's a nice, selfish reason (actually, I'm fine with most anything, as long as it's no marriage contract >.<)

20. T3t

High Score:
    And half the time she's interested in him because he's Harry Potter with all that implies, but she never decides to seek him out in her First Year, only when they're at a proper age for a romance to start.