1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

1984 By George Orwell

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Giovanni, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I am currently reading this book... I know a lot of you have probably read it and I was wondering what you all thought of it.

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

One of my favourite book... Absolutely brilliant. Someone should definitely make a crossover with HP.

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Whats this book about ? I've heard loads of people talk about it.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, we're just starting to read this book in my English class. We have to read a few chapters during break. A lot of the people who had already read the book in a seperate class didn't like it, but I'm going to try to read it unbiased.

5. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I think I read Brave New World in the place of 1984 or maybe Animal Farm was the replacement. Well, I read thm both and would love to read 1984 if I can ever remember to read it.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

1984 is about appocalyptic future where some sort of ultra-fascism is in power all over the world. Everyone is monitored every minute of their lives and constantly brainwashed by huge two-way TV's all over the place, including in people's rooms. Big brother is watching, constant war to fire up the patriotism, public executions, ban on love, kids reporting their parent's crimes (like doubting the great leader) to the secret police who then takes them to brainwashing...etc... a lot of memorable moments that were later used a hundred times in other fictions (ex: Matrix).

The best thing about this book is totaly realistic and beleiveable way this world is described. This is as much a book on polithics and psychology of great masses as a futuristic novel.

Anyway, I'd read this on my own (outside of school projects) and I found it ingenious. You should all definitely read it regardles of what school says.

7. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

lol, I've read it already, but I get 3 credit hours to read it again.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Ultra-Facism, holy hell... I'm going to read it, prob. after The Prince.

9. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

I tried reading it about 2 years ago, my little mind couldn't handle it. Sci-fi books make my brain shut down. I'll read it someday...maybe.

10. UnholyWarlord

UnholyWarlord Fourth Year

The Great Icy wasteland that is known as Canada
    I read the book when I was in the seventh grade. Have been reading it every year since. Many people were bent on understanding every thing about it. The reason it was so popluer among the readers of its day was, Could it happen here?

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

The way Orwell's society is controlled and manipulated is well explained and painfully logical. I really don't see any reason why it couldn't work, which is well explained in the end.

The only problem is how to reach that stage of control. I just don't see the whole world turning a blind eye at any country trying to pull a stunt like that. For such society to work, every contry must either be in it, or be too weak to stop it.

But I guess that in 1948, when communism was at it's height, a scenario like that seemed like a real possibility. If there weren't for America, who was at the time completely untouched by WWII (unlike Russia), something like that could have very well happened.

Still, some of the techniques mentioned by Orwell are widely used today.

Example: Constant struggle against common enemy to unite the country and help pass some restrictions of personal freedoms that otherwise would not have been accepted by the masses (America and it's fight against terrorism, Soviets and fight for spreading communism, etc.).

12. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I think it's a fantastic book.
    It was written in 1948, which is before quite a lot of the most major recent developments in technology etc... and therefore it shows remarkable foresight.
    if you like it other books to consider would be
    Brave New World: Aldous Huxley
    Fahrenheit 451: Ray Bradbury
    Animal Farm: George Orwell
    Utopia: Thomas Moore
    If you want a copy of my A-Level English essay on it, let me know and i can send it to you if you like

13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

-_- Communism itself is a good system, it was shitty-ly executed though.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I can actually see a society getting to that level of control... After all, it didn't happen immediately, it took approximately 40 years for the society to reach that level.