1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 New Years Resolutions

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Vira, Dec 30, 2018.

1. walkjj

walkjj First Year

Pass my first residency exam - requires actually being hardcore and getting the studying done.

Ensure that despite studying I somehow sleep and be a good dad for baby and husband for wife.

Pretty much it in terms of goals.

Would love to gain some muscle mass (scrawny mofo) and maybe go from 83 kg to idk 85? With muscle. But gym time is a no go till 2021 so got to use dumbbells and pull up bar only.

2. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

1. Lose weight. Was down to a 5 year low of 225, but December holidays pushed me back toward 235.

2. Drink less, hopefully down to once a week and less in one sesaion. Should help with weight loss.

3. Buy a ring. Should be doable now that I'm financially stable for the first time in my life.

4. Find new job before I burn out at current one. Ideally I'd open a private practice, but fear of failure is holding me back a little.

5. Write something other than technical work. Improve skills and speed of writing.

6. Ski more. Become competent enough that the toddlers on the mountain don't embarrass me on a regular basis.

7. Hike and camp more. Colorado is beautiful, but I'd like to get out to Moab and Yellowstone this year.

There's probably more that I should do, but this list already feels lofty enough. We'll see how it goes.

3. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Auror DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

So I've thought about this for a while, as I don't usually do a new year's resolution, but fuck it. Who doesn't like a bit of shame over the christmas period.

So my real resolution is: Do chores before hobbies. I know it's not very SMART or whatever it is the seminars tell you to do with your plan, but fuck it, I need to write it down and stick it on my fridge. 80% of the stress in my life outside work would be improved if I sat down and did all my applications and shit before crunch-time, but I'm always like 'I'll just finish this chapter, and this one, and this one' or 'I'll just play stellaris in the morning, and work in the afternoon'.

Failing that:

1. I want to drop back down to 75kg by the end of the year

2. I want to try and do something nice for/with my partner at least once a week that isn't chores or watching Made in Chelsea.

3. I want to write three times a week for like twenty minutes (after chores). It'd be absolutely minimal, but a pattern has got to be better than one day, every two months, of frenetic gibberish over something that turns out to be a poorly thought out monstrosity.

4. Saezots

Saezots Seventh Year

High Score:
    1. Lose 15 pounds.

2. Write up to 20k and also do Nano this year. Also, enter in some of my city's writing competitions.

3. Pick up coding again. And try out knitting.

4. Get a job and volunteer more.

5. Learn french and speak my parent's language more since I'm getting rusty and that's embarrassing.

5. silentclock

silentclock Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

1. Cut it out with the damned soft drinks. Coca-Cola, Mountain Dew, and sweet tea are my biggest vices.

2. Finish a new novel.

3. Play more tennis.

6. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman

Avoid catching Oz's dick.

7. Miner

Miner Auror

Pretty sure it's dead for at least another year.

8. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

2019, mhh, let's see.

#1 Fitness goal is to achieve a set of 5 good form pull ups. Everything else (diet, stretching, exercise) is subservient to that goal. For the next three months I'm back to calisthenics; afterwards I'll sign up at a gym. Should I reach the goal early, there's always the handstand to consider. I'd love to be able to do some of those suckers eventually. But for now, pull ups. Gotta start somewhere.

#2 Write novel no. 3 - not much else to say here. No. 2 left me so exhausted that I fucked around with fanfiction for the rest of 2018, which is fun but ultimately won't get me published. Though I have to admit that it feels great to slip back into comfortable territory like that. There's far less doubt and things just flow sometimes.

#3 I should finish up my studies and get a real job; not sure if that's doable in 2019, but I'll aim for that. Since I pay barely any tuition fee worth the name (basically just administrative cost 70€/semester) I've been living the student life for 7 1/2 years now. I had one hell of a time but I guess it's time to move on. The world's waiting, and I've picked up some interests that go beyond vegging out in front of my rig, interests that require some money.

9. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Drugs are bad, mkay.

1. Make a larger impact on my community.
    2. Be more sociable.
    3. Get back to Argentina.
    4. Try not to get cancer again.
    5. Spend as much time with my family as possible.
    6. Potentially get back into the restaurant business. Either as head chef or my own place. I've been sedentary too long. This has the potential to conflict with 5, because I'm a workaholic and devote myself 100 percent to something.

10. thoriyan

thoriyan Seventh Year

Pretty fantastic effort on last year's resolutions, actually:

1) Weigh 200 pounds -> started at ~270s, weighed 200.8 on Dec 30 -> A++
    2) Row a 7:00 2K test on the rowing machine -> started at 8:55, PB now 7:22 -> B
    3) Reach powerlifting total of 1000 pounds -> started at [165/315/365 = 845 lbs] and didn't touch a barbell all year -> F
    4) Get a dog -> https://imgur.com/pdMSEpx -> A+
    5) Start a fantasy football analysis website -> got barebones site up at dynastydashboard.com -> B
    6) Make friends -> have a solid group of rowing friends -> A​

This year's resolutions:
    1) Weigh 180 lbs and/or reach sub 20% body fat
    2) Pay off all credit card debt
    3) Be happy with career achievements
    4) Train for and compete in rowing regattas [and be proud of results/efforts]
    5) Begin writing articles for fantasy football
    6) Start dating again​

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

That's largely behind me. I was actually referring to traveling :p

12. eeleht

eeleht Squib

1. To stay vegan- I started eating vegan three weeks before New Year's Day ( I believe that is about long enough to form a habit) and my main goal for 2019 is to continue eating this way, in addition to transitioning into purchasing only vegan cosmetics and other potentially non-vegan products.

2. To become more conscious of the way others act or react, in order to feel less insecure of my own actions. (This is more of a theory that I would like to test than a resolution to improve myself, but if this does work then I will consider it to have been one.)

3. To genuinely try to stick to these resolutions as well as any long-term plan that I have, as opposed to allowing myself to act for benefits in the short term.

13. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

The last time I tried itemising all that had to be done, it fatigued. So I'll be resolute to a few general principles, the point on deepening and diversifying constancy of practice.

1. Achieve greater levels of complexity and abstraction within broad mindscape architectures while tightening speeds of access and maneuverability to detailed compartments across the map.

2. Write. Refactor my prose into aesthetic instinct. I have two incomplete essay threads for DLP submission that already need substantial revision and greater quantities of research I've to put off for some months. There's also one exploratory short I've in mind as fanfic, but needs research time.

3. Embrace animal spirits. Align the thinking mind energetically with the unconscious body. Sleep when the body feels the need; move, think, expend great quantities of energy when it doesn't. Focus and channel an entire being bursting to civilised restraint.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  14. dhulli

dhulli The Reborn

Ooh I haven't done one of these since 2015. Well, here goes.

1. Make 50k trading options.
    2. Lose 20 pounds.
    3. Get ankle surgery, start playing soccer again
    4. More time for family
    5. Figure out a productivity system and stick to it. (Right now trying out Bullet Journaling)
    6. Get significant headway in a side project.

15. awinarock

awinarock Fourth Champion

If you're trying to learn Occulumency, I recommend imagining that your mindscape is an impenetrable obsidian fortress that houses the spirit of Hogwarts and a Griffin/Dragon/Phoenix.

16. Vsprites

Vsprites Muggle

1. Meditate for 30 minutes each day.
    2. Read everything available of René Girard in English.
    3. Complete the first part of my two-part fic.
    4. Able to bench 65kg for 8 reps w/ dumbbells.
    5. Don't get drunk to the point of inhibition until 2019 NYE.
    6. Learn Chinese to a point of proficiency so that I can read and comprehend a book intended for young adult readers.

17. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

One of my resolutions (that I apparently didn't actually write in this thread) is to run a half marathon every calendar month this year. I figure having a goal to hit every month will keep more aware of my resolutions as a whole and keep them in mind over the year.

Anyway, knocked January's out after work on Tuesday. Slow and steady etc.

[​IMG]