1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Just a Random Tuesday... by Twisted Biscuit - K+

Discussion in 'Humor' started by mknote, Aug 13, 2013.

1. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Title: Just a Random Tuesday...
    Author: Twisted Biscuit
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Humor
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 58,525
    Updated: August 26, 2006
    Published: October 1, 2006
    Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: None
    Summary: A VERY long Tuesday in the life of Minerva McGonagall. With rampant Umbridgeitis, uncooperative Slytherins, Ministry interventions, an absent Dumbledore and a schoolwide shortage of Hot Cocoa, it’s a wonder she’s as nice as she is.
    Link: Just a Random Tuesday...

I was amazed that a fic this good and this old had avoided even being mentioned on DLP (I found it via TVTropes, by the way).

This is an excellent fic that focuses on McGonagall on a "normal" Tuesday in Harry's fifth year. I found it absolutely hysterical at times (pay attention to the blurbs stating where she is; they can be quite witty) and surprisingly thought-provoking at others. The characterization is the best thing about this fic: it is flawless, with every single person feeling as if they were a real human being (except, of course, for the ones that aren't human... and Umbridge). The characters feel more real to me in this story than in any other Harry Potter story I've read. The humor is quick and witty and the amount of thought put into the story is very apparent.

I think it's a pretty easy 5/5 for me, and I fully recommend it to anyone who has a sense of humor. It's a mundane story that has no baring whatsoever on the whole Harry Potter story, but its an excellent way to spend an hour or two.

Interestingly, this makes me two for two in my Harry Potter recommendations breaking Potter Law #1.

2. Photon

Photon Order Member

From somebody who thought that "It unscrews the other way." was the best line in entire series - instant 5/5.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

It got a giggle out of me early on when Minerva glared at the back of her eyelids because she wasn't ready to get up yet.

All in all I quite enjoyed the first chapter. It's something different.

I need to read further to rate, but I'll do that tomorrow. Worth a look though, if you're wavering.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Definitely a 5/5. I love Twisted Biscuit's stuff, it's a real shame she stopped writing. This is easily one of the funniest stories I've read in the fandom (love the 'interrogation' scene!)

5. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

Agree, 5/5.

It's a rare fic that can make me think that Ron\Hermione aren't the worse couple ever.

Excellent and creative writing, very funny at times, and perfectly captures Minerva and the way the staff and students work together to handle Umbridge.

6. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I enjoyed it, light-hearted fic. The only thing that was missing was some interaction between McGonagall and Harry, but beyond that an enjoyable easy read with a few lulzy moments.

4/5.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

This was pretty fun. I'm always a fan of "day-to-day" Hogwarts tales that happen in between, so to say, canon, and that do so in a way that makes me believe we could have seen them in the books and they'd not be out of place. Not to mention the bonus points it gets for having it be from a professor's POV and for showing interactions between professors.

Edit: Lowering my score to 4.5/5. 'Delores' rather than 'Dolores' is really annoying.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

4.5 / 5

This is just fun and enjoyable to read. Probably the best fic I've read about a Professor's POV at Hogwarts.

I do wish Dolores had been spelled properly though. Also it would have been nice to see a bit more interaction with Harry. Those two things keep it from a 5/5, but it's not that far off. Definitely library worthy imo.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  9. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't know, guys. The language was cute and all, but as soon as I noticed the author was jumping through hoops to use any dialogue tag other than 'said', I exited out. It didn't seem worth a twenty minute read-through if I was going to be tripping over bad dialogue like that.

10. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Tried to read it 3 times. Didnt manage to complete even 2 chapters.
    Sorry, but it was just too boring. 2/5

11. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

....seriously?

DLP isn't for you then.

12. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Contrary to what you might believe, not everyone likes the same things on DLP or anywhere else.

If that was the case, there would be no point in putting up stories up for reviews. Once one guy liked it, just put it in the library, since surely they must all like it.

13. mort

mort Groundskeeper

The last chapter dragged on for me a bit and the lack of Harry interaction put me off a bit, but all in all I liked this fanfiction. As people have mentioned above, probably the best fanfictions in the 'Professor POV' out there.
    4/5

14. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Well, considering there's only 3 chapters...

The story is excellent. I don't really say that often. And I don't really read nonHarry pov stories all that often, so this was definitely good for doing what it set out to do.

-edit- wow, this was published in 2006? It reads better than most recent fics...

15. Padfoot85

Padfoot85 Sixth Year

Agreed on the last chapter kind of running long. I usually don't read non Harry centric stories, but this was really good. It showed all the range of Minerva's character. From her strict Head of House appearance, to letting her hair down when she was with Snape and Emmaline. It made her seem more, to put a fine point on it, human. The Weasley Twin interaction was also priceless.

Solid 4.5 out of 5 for me. Definitely Library worthy.