1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

500 for 500

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Nuhuh, Mar 7, 2011.

1. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

CheddarTrek recommended I join, and I'm definitely in. Did I have to send a pm to anyone?

2. Olivia Kingston

Olivia Kingston Fake Flamingo Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I'd like in.

3. flame7926

flame7926 Squib

I'd like to join this. It'd help me keep on track.

4. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bit of a late update this year, folks, but it is indeed that time.

Today/yesterday(depending on if I make the post pre-midnight, looking doubtful at the moment with 30+pages to go through) again marks the anniversary of my yearly run down of writing for Nuhuh's 500 Club. Since 3/16/14 I have written the following; 204,961 words. 151k of that in actual story, characterization, and 53k in plotting, outline, thoughts toward a scene and general stream of thought.

That breaks down into 2 Anthology submissions+revisions accepted, sequel starts for Vows of the Alchemist, prequel starts to Thieves Blood, introduction of two fresh original concepts(wizarding America and Cyberpunk/fantasy mesh respectively), and on the fanfiction side, several different beginnings to the next chapters of Sirius Interruptions, Last Dragonrider, Frostbite Kisses, one Pokemon Challenge fic; White v N completed, various ideas like a WoT/ASoIaF fusion-y thingy and a Bill Weasley versus the Mummy challenge begun, and several thousand words towards Oz's very-overdue Secret Santa(it's coming man, keep up the patience please and thank ya big-big), just to name the memorable stuff.

So yeah. A successful year on the whole, I'd say. And I couldn't have done it without Nuhuh and the 500 Club, one of the only goals I can say I've put my level best into hitting every single day. Since this began in 2011 I've written a combined total of 912,015 words over 148 pages, or roughly 1465 5C entries after discounting friendly drop-ins.

Cheers to finally breaking that million by the time I check in on March 16th 2016, and thank you for your time!

5. Zenzao

High Score:
    Hi again, folks. I usually wait a little later in the day to do this, but I've been itching to get to it for two days now.

Today marks once more the anniversary of my yearly rundown of writing for Nuhuh's 500 Club. Since this time last year I have written 232,571 words. 174k has come from story, and 58k from plot conception.

All in all this breaks down into a lot of minor ventures toward past stories, 1 Dragon Rider original fantasy story, 1 Steampunk original scifi story, 1 entry toward DLP Anthology #5 and a proposed sequel, an assortment of original and mixed fiction short stories, and on the fanfiction side, a take on Duelist!Magical Inheritence!Harry, mystery supernatural-fighter!Harry, a beta version of Harry/Fleur/Ginny for Zeelthor/Taure/IRC-chat, a vast plethora of various Potterverse unfinished tales by and large, and finally a Naruto challenge. Additionally, an astounding 48k words of the combined total has come solely from writing regarding In Gold we Trust since December.

Combined with the 912k from the past four years, I've finally broken the million: 1,144,586 words over 1839 entries. It's been one long, long journey to this point, one in which I have finally and confidently managed to write for a year-straight without missing a single day. I've had ups and lows as an author. I've had days when I didn't want to write at all. I've had days where I've written staggering amounts. Most of all, I've had an incredible flux of imagination and improvement as a writer, the likes of which I'd never have reached had not Nuhuh first proposed the idea of the 500 Club in 2011. I can't say it enough, Nuhuh, but thank you.

6. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Moderator

Zenzao Don't have words to describe how amazing your achievement is. Bravo!

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

No kidding man, kudos. It's badass for you.

But it's also good for the rest of us in that group. Seeing you updating and doing it properly reminds me that I need to write, encourages me to write, etc. I don't always follow through, but I appreciate that your own efforts keep mine at the forefront of my thoughts.

Congrats on being badass.

8. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's awesome dude. So jealous/proud of you.

FTR, any chance of me getting an invite to this group? Might prove to be the motivation that I need.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Shit, that's a pretty sick accomplishment. I just checked and my last post in that group was in april 2011, nearly 5 years ago. I sort of feel bad, since it's not like I've stopped writing.

10. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Stay Zen, Zao.

;)

11. Zenzao

High Score:
    Hello again, folks. It is time for my next annual update for Nuhuh's 500 Club, but before I begin I have a couple of confessions to make.

Early last year, for the first time, I failed to write an entry by deliberate choice rather than circumstances beyond my control. I was confined to the couch with an illness, and at the height of that illness when my phone's first alarm went off at 23:00, I considered putting forth the effort for only a few minutes before opting not to bother. I went back to sleep, and not an hour later when I woke up after midnight, I regretted that decision immediately.

That mistake has haunted me, yet it is not the only failure to occur since the last check-in; a few months later writing a mobile entry from my bed, I thought that I could recognize an accurate word count at a rough glance and did not verify there or later at the desktop that I had indeed matched or exceeded 500 words, and so come the next day when I did look it up, I found that I had only clocked in at around 440 for that particular entry.

So I am not as proud on that front, nor when it comes to the contents of the past year of entries, as I have been on prior occasions. This update comes on the 17th instead of the 16th in accordance with that deliberately omitted entry.

With all of that out of the way, on to business.

Since 3/16/16, I have written 226,360 words. 137K in actual story, and
    88k in plot conceptualizing.

This breaks down into a surprisingly wide diversity, so I'm splitting it up.

Starting from the stuff I can't really link to; a couple of attempts to expand upon Harpy's Milk Take Two, several attempts at a time-travel prompt(kudos to Rep for getting his done), a couple aborted 'goblin-society-raised!Harry' stories, a couple of attempts toward a Potter/Hellboy XO, a brief Potter/Wheel of Time XO, yet further revisions toward Frostbite Kisses, a second rewrite toward Fallen King, an attempt at a second 'roll your Naruto part one' story and an aborted third such story, a Naruto/Death Note XO, a now-dead offsite Naruto quest, another revision toward the sequel to my Antho #5 story, and another attempt at the 'gilded golem' original piece.

It also breaks down into a smattering of the occasional update to In Gold we Trust, an update to Reflecting on the Past, Coronach of the Soul 1.0, Coronach of the Soul 2.0, an update to Last Dragonrider, an update to Cursebreaking Hamunaptra, the first chapter of Harry Potter and the World Against, an update to Of Arda on FFN, a Dresden Files mass-XO of all the different Dresden's I've written, and Here lies a Primordial force of Nature.

So in parting, as always, thank you Nuhuh for what you began several years ago. Without you and the 500 Club, I would not be the writer that I am today.

I also have to give kudos to Nemrut for posting two months straight not so long ago and who has been a regular contributor lately to the 500 Club. I hope his trend continues and that we both see more fine folks join us.

12. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

I've not been a part of the club, so I don't know the details of such things, but from the little comments I've gleaned over time about how hard you work towards writing, you're goddamn inspiring. I know the feeling of wanting that perfection and missing it slightly, so I won't comment on that, but I just want you to know that I think that your work ethic is amazing and your writing is fantastic. I love being able to read your stories, so thank you for working so hard.

Awesome job, this year. Hope you keep it up.

13. Zenzao

High Score:
    Thank you Rehio, that mean's a lot to me.

So, here we are again, folks. This past year has been an interesting experience. When the site transitioned over to Xenforo, I made my final original 500 Club entry on August 12th, 2017. Six and a half years from start to finish. It was a heavy moment, and I closed things out the way I began, with an entry dedicated toward my-never-to-be-finished Dresden Files story, Fallen King.

The very next day I looked hard for ways that I could keep the tradition going. What I settled upon was a 500 Club 2.0 thread posted to the Prestige secret clubhouse. To the best of my knowledge, I have not missed a day since the last check in. I am also very proud to announce that Ched and Scott have been occasional faces, with Nemrut joining me day for day this year(fantastic job mate)!

So then, since 3/17/17, I have written 203,486 words. 152k in actual writing, and 51k in plot conceptualizing. That is, unfortunately, the lowest word count of the past several years. Whereas I used to average about 550 words in a day, I've been content to settle with 520 or thereabouts on most occasions, so I have only myself to blame for that.

Regardless, that breaks down into A never-finished Zelda AU spawned from a Prestige challenge, a rough horror short story for another Prestige challenge, the start of a sequel to Island in the Sun, a smattering of updates for In Gold we Trust, a start to Dust of the Stars, an unfinished draft for DLP Comp '17, my current DLP Q1 '18 draft, and many, many attempts toward different competition drafts and assorted updates for stories like Fallen King, Here Lies a Primordial Force of Nature, Auror Potter and the World Against, Last Dragonrider, and all of those go's at In Gold We Trust. I've also done some minor revising/addition work on Hell is Other People, Reflecting on the Past, and Cursebreaking Hamunaptra.

In all, I've most assuredly lost the bulk of my words to the editing process over what made it into anything.

Nevertheless, when combined with the past six years of writing, I have now passed the 1.5million word marker for a grand total of 1,574,432 words. Should have been enough to complete every story I've started in my time on here, but c'est la vie, I start and discard words between one day and the next. It's a wonder I ever get anything pulled together like this!

In closing, thank you @Nuhuh for setting me on the road to becoming a better writer all those years ago.

Thank you to everyone who has read and critiqued and supported my progression.

Now go out there and write something for the day! Jot down that errant thought you'd had for a plot. Get the words across the keyboard and out of your head!

14. Lindsey

Lindsey Death Eater

@Zenzao

Thank you for being so incredibly dedicated to the 500 Club, even if you have been posting elsewhere since the transfer.

You are the reason I started posting in the group again, as you are a major inspiration to me. If you are able to write 500 words a day for almost six years, I have no excuse to not write 2500 in a week.

I hope next year I can post in this thread and be proud like you deserve to be.

Great job and thank you for everything.

15. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

You continue to impress the hell out of me, @Zenzao. Your dedication is fantastic, and I'll be first in line when you publish. :D

16. Methos

Methos Seventh Year

High Score:
    @Zenzao

From your recent post I started an interesting journey through your various fics on FF.net.
    While it was disappointing to never see a conclusion to many of them, it is a most excellent adventure, as yet to read all your stories there.
    May the Muse be with you.

On second reading this thread, 500 words every day, that is fucking epic.
    That is marathon running dedication without stop.

Small questions.

Does FF.net contain all yours stories? or there is somewhere else?
    I also wonder of the status of many of those fics, since they are still listed as WIP.

Edited

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  17. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

It's exhausting to show up every day of the year and sit behind the keyboard, just to get ideas from your brain onto the page. Nothing but respect for that (and thus you and everyone else who does it). Keep fighting in the trenches. It's a damn fine accomplishment.

18. Zenzao

High Score:
    Thank you all for the more than warm response.
    Firstly, thank you, too. I am blown away that I could ever serve as inspiration for another writer.

I know that you can pull off your goal, and I'll be looking forward to your own update here come next year. Just a little every day can do it, jot down a few words for five or ten or fifteen minutes if the time to sit down for a while isn't available. It doesn't have to be great, it doesn't even have to be good, just have something to show for the day when the day is done that you can revise and improve upon with time.

Thank you mate. Here's hoping I finally get something worth publishing(after the anthology entries) pulled together some day.

Thank you for taking the time to do that. I do understand the disappointment. I've developed a bad habit of having an idea and starting it but then finding a new muse and it repeats. I do go back and start on updates but then keep rewriting and chiseling away for months, when I'm not investing in yet another new project, because I want it to be damn near perfect once it goes up.

And thank you again. It's been difficult more often this past year to keep at it from a perspective of motivation. I've had so many days where I'm redoing a scene from another perspective, testing the waters to no avail. Hopefully I can get passed that and start offering more updates more regularly.

FFN does not have all of my stories, no. There are some that I still have in the various Work By Author sections here, and there are some that I've uploaded to AO3 but haven't to FFN yet. For the most part I don't like to say that I've ever abandoned a story, since I can still return to it months or years later, but I should do another glance through my FFN list and see about the few I did pretty much walk away from for good.
    Thank you, and you got it pretty right, it can be exhausting. But it is also rewarding when all of that effort finally comes together, and that makes the investment worth it.