1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

$600-$1000 Computer Budget People (Midknight) Help Please

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Darius, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    What can I get for this? I've already got a monitor and an operating system.

I have no clue what the new stuff is and what does/doesn't suck.

Do I need a new case or can I just use one from an old computer?

will I even be able to build a decent computer for this price?

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Decent is an insanely relative term. Tell us "I want to play this game at this graphical setting" or something else we can work with.

3. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    I want a computer I can play TF2 on a decent graphical setting, or at least in a regular sized window.

Is that just dreaming with this price range.

4. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Hell no, my rig qualifies and I picked it up for five hundred more than a year ago, case and all. Staying on the bleeding edge of PC hardware will rape your wallet, but if you're content with merely sharp, it's nowhere near as violating.

GeForce late-8X00 series graphic card, couple gig and change in a dual-core processor, two one-gig sticks of RAM, a decentish motherboard and a chunky hard drive - you can't have too much space, but you can always smack more in later. Drop a few extra bucks on a case with damn good ventilation over one with decent and you've got a rig that, while she won't be the sexiest damn thing you'll slap eyes on, you'd still tap dat without a moment's hesitation.

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

|12:41| »» [&Vash] .:. Darius .:.: ask Paimon later if he shows up for the model of his Mobo. I cant remember off hand, but get that.
    |12:41| »» [Knox] I got socks D:
    |12:41| »» [&Vash] its like... 150 I think

Also, Yorkfield's Q series is pretty awesome. around $400 ish. at least an 8800 nvidia card. 4 gigs of ram you can get fairly cheap. Check out Newegg, really.

That would run you just about 700 I think.

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

evga 750i mobo 130$
    EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB140$
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Buy a high cfm 120mm fan 60-80$
    4gb Crucial DDR2 this shit overclocks for fucking ever. CS is the best, and their parent company MAKES the shit everyone else uses, Micron keepsthe best for Crucial. 50$

For 100 bucks you can get whatever you want hard drive wise. CPU wise get whatever in the 150-200 range thats new out. Quad core is overrated, hot, and worthless at the moment unless you are pulling some sort of folding shit, or editing video. Get a dual core, read reviews to decide which is the best. Toms Hardware usually has a good comparison chart.

Max cost, you could get just the shit I listed above, grab an older e6600, or e6750, any sort of hard drive, and a case if you need one for 700-800 bucks max, and be running TF2 fully maxed, or jump quick on the MSI GTX 260 and get it for 199$. Compared to my 8800 GTS, it'd get another 30 fps in Mass Effect fully maxed, no idea how hard it'd kill Tf2, but probably overkill.

Oh and don't skimp on the power supply. Get a decent modular one, greater then 700w (stuff it peanut gallery) and call it a day. You'll be playing shit on max, and loving it.

7. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I have to agree with most of what Mid says. Except I have to disagree that my Quadcore 6600 runs very well, even if my PC's about a year old. I do suggest getting a 8800GTS or higher, even though that video card is very good still, considering.

8. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm not saying it doesn't run well Richard, not at all. I'm saying it runs hotter, and needs more voltage to overclock properly, making it run even hotter, then a dual core like the e6750, which'll out perform it to death since it overclocks so much easier.

EDIT: And yes I realize the oddness of me saying buy EVGA even thought I spent the summer planning to kill the whole fucking lot of them, lol. EVGA's RMA service, and stepup makes it worth it. The headache I had isn't commonplace by far, and truth be told, I ended up with a free upgrade from the 680i to the 750i, and the board has been a rock solid, overclocking beast ever since.

9. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Ahh, hotter, okay. I thought you meant didn't run as good. I do believe my video card runs hotter than my cpu though. You can't touch mine without burnin' your finger.

10. se7en

se7en Professor

What size is the monitor and what resolution are you looking to play at? You could definitely get something that could run tf2 on max. I could run TF2 maxed out in 1440x900 (native resolution for a 19 inch 16:10 widescreen) and i payed less than a grand for my computer.