1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Cape in Konoha by Morgan Arc - T - (Worm/Naruto AU)

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by SmileOfTheKill, Nov 21, 2019.

1. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Title: A Cape in Konoha
    Author: Morgan Arc
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Trash
    Fandom: Worm/Naruto
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: Post GM Taylor is reborn in the world of Naruto, taking the place of Sakura.
    Link: SpaceBattlleeeeeeeesssss

Alright so we gonna review this story, see? Nuhuh, myself, and Zombie have talked a lot about in Discord and it's time for it to have a proper thread. Taylor is reborn/possessed Sakura at some point in the past and here we are in Naruto land.

It's so frustrating because the story was good. Fairly good at some point early in the story. The writing was a bit stilted at times but so many things had a good idea in the core. Taylor had her Worm powers kind of transfer to this story in the form of useful Naruto ninja magic stuff. Due to this, Konoha started to take an interest in Taylor and one of the best scenes happened. Danzo shows up with his normal ROOT shenanigans and states to Hiruzen how useful Taylor is. In contrast to the normal fanfiction stories where ROOT ends up being some evil force, Danzo sends one of his special agents out to train Taylor. Taylor is more useful as a shining beacon and Danzo wipes his hands mostly clean of everything.

This is the kind of stuff that is interesting in fanfiction. It's not exactly brilliant but it takes an overplayed trend and molds it in an interesting way. As much as others like Zombie get pissed off at the latest state of the story, it's because it was good. Taylor has some random 2deep4u combat with her root trainer agent and while it's a bit too convoluted at times, it bucks the trend for having random characters scream at each other while they throw energy at each other. Hell even her trainer Yamato is some generic looking dude because he is supposed to be a secret assassin. It's playing up the ninja aspect of Naruto without getting into some methods of rationality stupidity.

This follows up with Taylor and Yamato doing interesting ninja stuff. Taylor kills some dude during his monologue and she makes fun of said monologue. Once again not brilliant but fun stuff. The last of what I consider good follows up. Taylors new friend/enemy/best friend from Iwa shows up. Kuro, the grandkid of some important Iwa dude shows up for the chunin exam. This exam is mostly ignored because it doesn't matter. What matters is the rivalry between Taylor and Kuro and it's fun. They do some 2deep4u fighting and banter.

This mini-plot synopsis is showcasing why people enjoyed this story. It did new things with the setting and mostly in unique ways. Taylor gets noticed early so she becomes a tool of Kohana. It's not 500k words of her acting out canon because 'she might taint the future' or some garbage like that. She gets noticed and it plays in her desire to get stronger. It downplays her worst aspects because everything is just given to her early. Maybe that is why it started off good, because Morgan can't do conflict worth a damn.

The story starts to slowly become Naruto, and all of its worst aspects. The fighting starts to focus on being shouty energy magic. Taylor gets her own training arc that is boring as hell that follows up with her own chunin arc that is boring as hell. Unlike before where it was skipped, Morgan has the desire to play up the chunin exam up to a ludicrous degree. It also introduces plot stupidity to a heavy degree. Most of the early good chapters are Taylor being showcased to have crazy area vision due to her magic Worm powers. Not even kidding about 10 or so chapters are about how Taylor has magic vision powers. Then Taylor is showcased to be an idiot who can't notice a fake scroll and the writing blatantly lies about the order of events to make Kuro be stealthy. It's not even clever about it, it's just plot railroading.

This exam is just frustrating in every way. It's too long, it forces plot to happen when characterization goes against it, and it ends disappointingly as well. The story talks a big game about how Taylor needs to keep her magic Worm powers secret. Kuro and Taylor still end up getting insane ninja powers and that's when the fighting gets boring. The point being that at the end of the exam Taylor has to use her super secret ninja power to save herself and Kuro from death. This is the buildup for many different things.

Kuro and her friendship/rivalry with Taylor. The end of a very boring exam but the end of it. Taylor and her orders to keep her powers secret. All the other super ninja powers shown. All this buildup and a major shift happens, Taylor is forced to use her magic ninja powers. Time skip.

That's the story in a nutshell. It started off so strongly by breaking conventions and it's all useless. It becomes what it was avoiding. After this time skip the story is going into canon. Blah blah stuff happens but it's just terrible. There is no interesting events in the story anymore. We started off with the story breaking conventions and it slowly became canon.

This is ignoring the fact that the author is a major dick. It's hard to find a more self absorbed person and this is including people from DLP and SB. They have said everyone that disagrees with the story is a whiner, called people shitheads, don't whine or they will delete the story and it's all your fault, stated the story has over 8000 reviews while it's just comments on the thread, and in general acted like they are smart when they do basic things. They kept Haku alive but wanted to sideline them by making them a teacher. You bet your behind they are going to make an authors post about how smart they are for doing that and wow are you amazed? Bet you never thought of that.

Anyways I blame @Nuhuh for linking this story. 2/5 for the story itself but 1/5 because the author is a dick.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

So fuck this story. A Cape in Konoha is the worst thing I've read in a long time, and that's saying something considering the utter fucking garbage I've read in the past. The premise is that Taylor, the MC of Worm gets sent to the Naruto universe and takes over the body of Sakura. And in typical SB/SV fashion, the author Morgan Arc just goes through and makes one bad choice after another.

Normally I could ignore it, but they've turned their thread into a social wank bank where all the other people commenting are fellating them as they exude smug about how finely they've crafted this story and the shit they have planned out. Their idea isn't new, their idea isn't novel. I've seen it done before, and I've seen it done better.

They have a tendency to do thematic responses in which they justify their actions and "clarify" the choices they've taken in the story. My argument is simple and I wonder if you'll agree: If your story wasn't such dogshit, you wouldn't have to write 600 word "author notes" for. every. update. defending the actions you've taken, or explain things that you think "aren't clear."

If it was well written there wouldn't be confusion.

I know it boils down to a difference in forum culture. The postings in the thread vary from beating the author off to shitting on the author for their interpretation of canon mechanics. I don't personally care what their motivation is, I'm just there to be entertained.

I am not entertained.

I've since stopped reading the story. The author has no intention of taking any form of criticism about the story, and would rather spend posts arguing that their methodology is correct.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, I don't want the time spent reading it back, but the author's attitude negates what virtues it did have. Also, you can feel the DBZ style announcer pauses through the story. Competent spelling and grammar is present. No prose worth mentioning. 2/5.

4. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I mean who doesn't

Like ending every other chapter

Very Dramatic ~ Like this ~ Very Dramatic

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Lol, gonna admit, I don't really read the A/N or comments in the story so I am still having some fun with it. It's nothing amazing but I liked the exam enough. Also liked that Taylor wasn't constantly lectured on how bad of a person she was in Worm, which is rare.

So yeah, I can see where most of the criticism comes from but I have fun while reading the story and otherwise don't think about it.

So, 3/5 from me.

6. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

Okay, I get it. You all really hate the author. Sounds like it's for good reason. But I gotta say it kind of seems unfair to let comments outside the story affect the rating you give the story itself. If you read with threadmarks you don't come across anything particularly egregious. (Unless I just glazed over something? I really didn't see anything that interrupted the flow of the story)

------

The ending sentence to every chapter is some pretentious shit.

So far, the story has been pretty interesting as it's essentially entirely avoided retreading canon. It does look like that might change now, but I'd be surprised if completely lost all sense of originality.

The battles early on were pretty good. It did feel like "but it was a clone all along" was the only strategic idea the author could come up with, as it was quite overused. Later on, the battles do become mostly about people throwing around heavy ninjutsu, but I can't say I mind too much. It's not something I like about canon Naruto, but it is canon.

On the other hand, I'd say the character writing is barely acceptable. My grasp of Taylor/Sakura's character feels a bit shaky. Yamato was fine, and their interactions were fine. I don't get Haku at all. Kurotsuchi is... also fine I guess. No one here is particularly complex, and this is definitely a major weakness of the story for me.

Spelling and grammar are free from mistakes, but the prose is very, very bland.The fight scenes especially suffered for this. I could follow what was happening, but often couldn't really form a clear idea of what things looked like.

3/5

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

It's a Worm story, so it's automatically shit. I gotta give the author a bit of credit for trying to diverge from the standard shounen anime nonsense with the first part of the story, but it's still a Worm story, so it can't possibly be rated higher than 2/5.

8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Its not worth pointing out whats wrong with the story when the author doesn't recognize criticism.

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Latest chapter was the bell test, which...I just don't care about. Scene felt unnecessary to the story. Ended up skimming quite a bit. When you consider it, it's really about an OC in Naruto than anything Worm. If it weren't for the crossover factor, I doubt I would've checked it out in the first place.

10. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The story starts off slow which is why I dropped it like 2 times before finally pushing past the shitty first few chapters. The academy friendship drama is quite annoying, like Ino.

I didn't like the weird Sage second mode giving her physical differences, and the special sight seemed OP enough so I have no idea why they needed a second. I agree with Smile that it was decent enough until the chuunin arc...The fucking chuunin exams ruined it at that point, the already stilted dialogue(Taylor is awful) just fucking flopped with Kurotsuchi and then skipping the training to show us that 'Taylor now has power over the weather' and the excessive curb stomping in the Kumo exams. Jeez, it was already bad enough but it tanked into an unholy union of Naruto and Worm powerwank.

3/5 before the exams, 2/5 after. Wouldn't reccommend reading, there are other fics of both worm and Naruto that are better and even fics with the same premise Taylor being born into Naruto that are also better.

P.s - I didn't read any of the authors drama or AN's if they had any, so I don't think I'm biased against the story for that it just really isn't good imo.

11. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

It's the quintessential 2/5 to 3/5 sort of fic. An ok read, absolutely nothing special and falls into a lot of dumb style choices, but entertaining enough that I check for updates when I'm bored. Like others I've not read any author's notes or commentary so don't particularly care much for whatever attitude the author may or may not have.