1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Difference of Perspective by town_without_heart - T - My Hero Academia

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Vira, May 7, 2020.

1. Vira

Vira Second Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: A Difference of Perspective.
    Author: town_without_heart.
    Rating: T.
    Genre: Mystery.
    Fandom: My Hero Academia.
    Pairings: None.
    Summary: Fifteen years ago, a boy disappeared. Ripples in the water, the butterfly flaps its wings, and everything changes.

The notice is unremarkable, one face lost among a sea of lost faces. It is a yearbook photo of a young boy in his school uniform. His eyes are wide, shadowed by dark half-circles. His hair is green, wild and curly. He does not smile as he stares into the camera, and the somber expression makes him looks far older than his purported thirteen years. The text below the photo reads: HAVE YOU SEEN THIS BOY?

Link:
    Part One - The Disappearance of Midoriya Izuku.
    Part Two - The Reeducation of Midoriya Izuku.
    Supplemental - Case File #D13-Midoriya.Izuku. To be read after chapter six of Reeducation.

I’ve been meaning to rec this fic.

Warning: last update is October 2019. Hopefully the writer will return someday because this fic is gold.

The summary is apt for this fic, but here's a few more details: Izuku saves Bakugou from the sludge villain and impresses All-Might, but All-Might by chance doesn’t see him again that day and the opportunity passes. Fifteen years later, Detective Tsukauchi stumbles on his cold case, as after that fateful day, Izuku was never seen again.

Or so it seems.

This fic’s second greatest achievement is Izuku himself. Quirkless, and one of the most competent Izuku’s I’ve seen in fanfiction. Incredibly smart, practical, and willing to go to extreme lengths to complete his goals, with no over-powered or self-indulgent bullshit. This fic’s great achievement is portraying Izuku’s competence when he is entirely off-screen. I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that the fic is mostly the detective and his team following Izuku’s breadcrumbs left over a decade beforehand. Everything about Izuku is communicated by people who met him and their experiences with him.

The only drawback that could cause immersion break is the speed in which the detective finds people who met Izuku, some entirely by coincidence. Also, a lot of the people Izuku met are canon characters, which feel a bit forced at times on how he meets them.

However, it's all very compelling and it’s a crime this fic hasn’t been updated in months.

Still one of my favorites.

5/5.

2. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

I think its really good. I think there is only one real immersion break, which is the nurse at the hospital happening to know Deku. I like the fact that we don't know where he is, but also that we have a creeping sense of his similarity to Stain, and the influence that he has had from him. I like the hint about All Might, and then the subsequent reveal, as well as Bakugo and his status as the number 3 hero. I'm not always a fan of the prose, it felt like the super detective vibe sometimes stilted it, but at the same time, it was the aesthetic that the fic was going for and I don't think I can really knock it down for a successful stylistic choice. It was really good.

The only thing holding me back is the nature of the story. Probably the same reason I'm not a huge detective novel fan, it didn't feel like there has been any character development, or even a protagonist. I guess sort of Izuku, but at the same time, we don't see him and so its hard to actually see the character development.

Again. It's really good. You should read it.

4.5/5

3. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

I enjoyed this. I think this story's potential is limited by the fact that most of the development comes via audio transcripts. It always feels like a crutch for the author, and I don't have much reason to think differently here.

The characterizations of the canon characters grown up is, for the most part, really good. That, together with the mystery of finding out what exactly Izuku has been up to, definitely makes the story as enjoyable as it is.

It does feel a bit contrived that Izuku directly interacts with all these canon characters despite the drastic divergence from canon.

I wonder who the number 2 hero is. Maybe I'd know if I had gotten further in the source material.

3.5 rounded up for uniqueness.