1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Dreary Tale of Katelyn Potter by FenneHP - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by darknessfalls, Oct 6, 2018.

1. darknessfalls

darknessfalls Squib

High Score:
    Title: A Dreary Tale of Katelyn Potter
    Author: FenneHP
    Rating: T
    Genre: Friendship/Hurt/Comfort
    Library Category:
    Pairings: Gen
    Summary: Katelyn Potter, the 'Girl Who Lived', is miserable at Hogwarts. She's ignored, or despised and looked down on - so she decides to leave it all behind and join the only two people who ever loved her. However, her attempt to take her own life fails, and she's left to pick up the pieces. TW: Suicide attempt in 1st chapter. Mentions of abuse. !femharry
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12814058/1/A-Dreary-Tale-of-Katelyn-Potter
    Trigger Warnings: Suicide Attempts, Child abuse (off screen)

I found this story recently while I was browsing FF.net. It's a very moving story which tackles issues like PTSD, depression and anxiety quite gracefully. This fic features fairly realistic characterizations and most of the students are portrayed as what they are, pre-teens and teens who don't fully realize the consequences of their actions. There is little of the bashing that is so prevalent today and there is a greater focus on character development over plot and magic
    Rating: 5/5

2. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Based on those two quotes alone, I was not filled with confidence that this would be anything more than another angst fueled fic that attempts to be completely novel by making shit really sad.

It wasn’t.
    Really, there was.

In the first goddamn chapter we not only have savior!Snape, but we have manipulative!Dumb old Dumbles confessing to his myriad crimes and attempted schemes. Hell, the author managed to trip every tired old cliche that has ever appeared in an angst fic, and do so in exactly the same way as every other angst fic.

Though there were a few highlights: The deathly pale hanging victim that was wearing a peaceful expression while clinically dead, because that happens. The use of muggle CPR, because there is no way wizards have or the author could think for five seconds of, a better way. I suppose it might also be a little petty of me to wonder why she wasn’t moaning in pain after having her ribs broken from CPR.

Oh, and that glorious suicide note.

I couldn’t make it past the first chapter, but skimming forward didn’t fill me with any more confidence. Hell, the last line of chapter motherfucking 16 is:
    This fic does have two things I can credit:

1. Basic technical proficiency. It was at least polished in that sense.
    2. True to its title and summary. It is dreary. But dreary is boring when it isn’t a metaphor.

1.5/5 because of a lack of originality and angst. Rounded down.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  3. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I read a bit of this out of morbid curiosity, because I don't think I've ever read fanfiction where the protag attempts suicide. I read the first chapter and skimmed the next five or so, and the bleakness just continued to grow.

The characters are massively OOC, especially Hermione and the female chasers. They're all inexplicably turned into vicious bullies.

Pbluekan is right that the writing is proficient, but that's all the story has going for it. I don't see why anyone would write 80k words of this unless they're using it as a form of therapy for suicidal ideation. Which is fine, if that's the case, and I hope it's useful for the author. It's the sort of story that depressed teenagers might identify with if they were suicidal; but it would work better in a different context with original characters.

As Harry Potter fanfiction, it's just unrelenting, unrealistic misery.

4. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I can't take any piece of fiction seriously that includes trigger warnings and a teen rating.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I tried to read this and just... I kept immediately starting to skim, and then forcing myself to go back, and only getting another few sentences in before I found myself skimming again.

But this needed a little more attention in "For Review" before being moved out, so I shall keep going at least enough to rate and review.

Chapter 1 starts out with an angsty Fem!Harry AKA Katelyn trying to hang herself. Now, I don't want to make light of suicide or depression. Those are serious, legitimate issues. But nothing about this felt genuine or authentic, it felt like someone writing what they think someone would feel like, moreso than what someone would actually feel.

But I've never struggled with suicidal thoughts. So if this is a perfectly accurate rendition of that then I'm wrong, and I apologize.

But it feels off and didn't generate any 'feels' from me whilst reading.

Snape saves her life and after the troops have been called in, we get this line:
    And, I'm sorry, but I snorted with laughter. Tell me it isn't true!

Chapter ended with Harry Katelyn being sent off for some counseling. I skipped ahead at this point to Chapter 15 (of 18) at random to see if things looked more interesting. It still appeared to be super angsty and, honestly, I think this might be one of those stories where the entire point of the story is to deal with the angst/drama/hurt/comfort aspects of things as the primary plot.

Story just isn't for me. But more than that I don't think it's a very well written example of this type of story either.

2/5 tops - and maybe not even that.