1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A fan of manga or the anime of Death Note?

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Tezcatlipoca, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Tezcatlipoca

Tezcatlipoca First Year

I was wondering if anyone like reading manga or anime Death Note? Did anyone like the ending?

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I loved Death Note, but hated its ending. I hated it so very, very much...I swear, the ending had put Light out of character. If he was truly in character (and still capable of planning way too far ahead), he would have had Mikami keep a page of the Death Note on him at all times.

3. Tezcatlipoca

Tezcatlipoca First Year

I wish Light would have won at end he planned ahead so much during the series to win. I agreed the way he went out just pissed me off.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Even I watched Death Note and loved it. Fantastic series.

But yes, the ending could have been better. Light winning might have been too radical for TV, but some sort of mutual takedown, where Nero sacrifices herself to kill Light, would have worked fine for me.

Lol, at least the anime finale wasn't as bad as manga; in there, Light went completely nuts, started crying and begging like a little bitch and then... I can't, it's just too painful to remember.

5. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

WAAAAAA! LIGHT Won!! WTF.....

okay, now that pisses me off. Light is a complete sadist. Addicted to Death Note, a wanna be god, a genius who wants to kill people in order to make a utopiean society and for a genius, he is really an idiot.

Lets face it, in the manga it says that using the death note make a person addicted to death and the overwhelming weight that puts on your shoulder. And since he won in the anime, either he's gonna crack in the future or he dies of old age thus passing on his legacy to someone else...and i'm guessing he's gonna crack and the utopiean society will also go with him.

6. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Light did not win in the anime. Just trying to clarify your misconception.

And it doesn't matter how "addicted to death" a person gets, he has still shown sufficient intellect to have won in the end. Realistically, if Light didn't suddenly get lobotomized upon Mello's death - no, even before that - he would have had Mikami keep a page of the Death Note on him at all times.

Why would he have done so? For the same reason he kept a page on himself. It's a good idea. However, the mangaka simply couldn't allow Light to win in the end, because whether or not he should have won or not, Light was the villain, the "evil" one; the villain simply cannot win. Because this is the case, the mangaka did the only sensible thing - no, he didn't make Near/Mello smarter than L, he just gimped Light.

7. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gimping Light was a last resort. They made the Mello/Near team smarter then L, let them use L's evidence and findings on the case, used Light's allies against him, but even then they realised that wouldn't be enough to take down Light. They thought long and hard, but could find no solution to their problem. Finally they said 'Fuck this' and gimped Light.

8. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I agree with the general consensus here. The ending sucked.

I loved the entire series until those last last two episodes/couple chapters. In all honesty, after L was defeated, the series just wasn't as good. Nero wasn't as intelligent as L.

9. The Paper Blade

The Paper Blade First Year

Eh, I stopped reading after L died.

Did anyone watch the movie, though? I thought the ending was decent.

10. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just remembered, in the manga didn't they have Near resort to using the Death Note to win?

11. KubYnator

KubYnator Second Year

It was sometime ago that I read this series, but I think it went downhill after L died. It was just the same thing again with other guys.

And I will not even start on the ending.

12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yeah, I stopped reading around when the plane got hijacked, and the briefcase switch. Or whatever it was.

I couldn't stand Near, or his look-like evil girlfriend. So I just skipped to the end slightly after they were introduced, the end could have been written much better.

Never bothered to read the rest of it, too boring.

13. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

I pretty much consider L's death to be the end. It sufficiently wraps up the story: Light beats L, his greatest nemesis, and goes on to become the new God. The world he creates is up to your imagination. Mello and Near are just a way of artificially extending the story for monetary purposes.

14. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

That's speculation. Matsuda suspected that Near used the Death Note but there was no proof because Near burned all the death notes. Even though its really likely that its true.

Though yeah the ending was horrid because of Lights OOC idiocy (though his breakdown was in character to me at least) Near's god like ability to predict nearly everything and Mikami's sudden betrayal of his Kami.

By the way: This doesn't count as necromancy does it? It's only been like 3 months.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  15. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I have episodes 1-36 on my HDD. I refuse to keep that example of bullshit that is known as "the ending".

The first time I saw it, my thoughts were "wtf, why didn't he just have him either use a random page, or keep a slip on him?". Light was more than intelligent enough to know how important it was to have something like that on him.

Over all, great anime, terrible ending.

16. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

The manga's ending is so much worse. Raito starts crying like a little bitch and begging Ryuk of all people Ryuk! to save him. He cries out for Misa too honestly that was pathetic. I would have lost all respect for him if not for the first 7 books.

Plus L is a much better detective than Near. L's more sociable than Near, L's more freakin likable than Near! I mean honestly Near's pretty much a cheap knockoff of L! :mad: [/rant]

The ending would have been fine if either Raito won or he lost to L him losing to Near kind of killed the series (8 - 12? or 11? Who cares I hate the later volumes anyway I stopped liking it after 8 when all that happened was Raito sat on his ass while Mello and everyone else did everything.) for me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  17. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I was about 5 episodes into the series when I started reading this thread...

I no longer have the will to continue watching. I catch an ep or two on Adult Swim though, and they're always epic. Knowing the shitty ending, however, it's hard to bring myself to actually watch the series.

18. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

Meh the ending can be ignored. Go to Stoptazmo one of the Death Note fans made a much more kickass ending than the manga.

Raito ends up dying and becoming a shinigami. Honestly that's where I thought the series was headed with the whole "When you die you won't go to heaven OR hell" The Shinigami world wasn't heaven OR hell so that's were I assumed he go. Turns out I was wrong >_>

Honestly the first 7 manga were fine everything else just ugh. If you find yourself liking anything about the first episodes just read the manga instead it's a vast improvement over the anime. With the exception of the ending. The anime's ending is much better than the manga's.

And that gay LxLight scene in the rain with Raito getting his feet dried by L honestly I lol'd you know that was put in for the yaoi fangirls
    Other than that the anime is a rushed, condensed version of the manga leaving a lot of things unexplained.

19. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

1-Great avatar, I'm a big fan of FFVIII :).

2-I never actually read the manga, so I didn't know who "raito" was until about 10 seconds ago. (The subbed version of the anime I watched always described him as Light) I don't recommend anyone do a google image search of it >_>. Slashtastic.

3-I always thought L was kind of perfect in terms of likability. Even when he knew he was going to die he was still a funny guy.

Finally, I always kind of despised Near, the little runt made me want to go out and drop kick small furry animals.

20. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

And Mello, the bipolar ginger with a bowlcut. Fuck them both.