1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot A Gritty Reboot by FoxboroSalts - T

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Klackerz, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Title: A Gritty Reboot
    Author: FoxboroSalts
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor/Adventure
    DLP Category: Humor/Parody
    Pairing: None
    Words: 15,382
    Published: February 14, 2010

Summary: A surprising discovery leads Harry to question the fine line between normality and the supernatural. Drawing inspiration from the generation's brightest minds, he sought to answer the proverbial question. Was he a mutant or some sort of humaniod alien?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5747709/1/

A very humorous one shot.Plot involves a pre-Hogwarts Harry finding out he has some kind of power and trying to find out what it is.

The story was un-beta'd. So there were some spelling mistakes.

Anyway I really liked the story.It was a good time-waster.

Checked by Minion, February 23, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  2. Revenant

Revenant First Year

This was very, very good.
    Decent grammar and just the right amount of humor.

A worthy 4/5.

3. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

This made me laugh quite a bit. I didnt even notice the spelling or grammar errors.

4/5 just because there isnt more.

4. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kinda meh.

I can see how somebody would find this good, but to me, it was a touch boring and average. He ended up nice, but the 'how' made me shake my head.

3/5

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I laughed a good bit while reading this, and that's what I look for in a humour fic. Grammar could have been better though so I'll only be giving it a 4/5.

6. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Nice Oneshot. Good enough to waste a few minutes on it.

Personally I would have liked a story with a Conan influenced Harry a lot more but I give it a 3/5 .

7. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

eh not bad I lol a little 4/5 at most.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    QFT. Very funny, but a few grammar/spelling mistakes. 4/5

9. The Greek

The Greek Second Year

Good for a one-shot. It made me smile. A little more would be nice but I'll take what I can. 4/5

10. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

somewhat amusing, almost average. Mid to high 2's at best though. I'll give it a couple of points for origionality and call it

3/5

11. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fun. A lot better than his mafia story - I like it.

3.5/5

12. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Absolutely hilarious. I'm not sure how intentional it was, but this fic really captured the 10-years-old-ness of Harry well. Most fics try to make him cool by making him seem mentally older, but this one manages to be awesome with a believably 10 year old Harry.

5/5

13. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

4.5/5
    Pretty good fic. Had a good laugh.
    The ending was especially funny to me.

14. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

There's nothing here I haven't seen in other abandoned stories in this genre, but the execution is good and a couple of sequences got a chuckle out of me, therefore making this piece work as a humour fic, at least in my mind.

10-year-old Harry was well portrayed, something I don't see all that often.

Only small downside is Wimpy Dumbledore at the end, at least he wasn't trying to steal Harry's money or some shit like that.

4/5

15. Shanty

Shanty Squib

4/5. It's a pretty hilarious story, kind of slow in the beginning, but really really awesome about half way through. I enjoyed it immensely, and even though it isn't beta'd, I think the author did a fine job of writing it. The ending was a bit abrupt, but funny. I like it.

16. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I'm going to take a forest and trees approach here.

When it comes to the big picture-- the generalities-- it's a good story-- a bit prone to cliche, which is expected; however, the devil's in the details. And the details show a picture that's not as lovely...

From the story: "Say hello to my little friend!" The deranged man screams in a slight Hispanic accent, thrusting his hips out wildly at the blonde woman who seems to be the target of his fixation.

While Hispanic is not limited to Spanish-speaking people of the Americas, subsequent lines make me think a better term should have been used.

From the story: James scoffed sarcastically. "Really? I doubt someone would break into a federal building, merely for a casual visit. Doesn't seem to be worth the risk, you know?"

There ain't no federalism in the UK.

From the story: Harry would be lying if he said that he wasn't slightly impressed with himself. He had a pretty good track record too. Just last month, he managed to foil an armed robbery at the local 7-11.

There ain't no 7-Elevens in the UK either. Okay, granted it's wikipedia saying that, and 7-elevens may have existed at that time considering that wikipedia's not known for being right all the time.

2 stars.

17. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

I'm not particularly a fan of humour stories. I have attempted to read nonjon's work but never really got around to reading more than first one or two chapters.

This story however was awesome. The humour was not over the top. The author maintained Harry's maturity level as a kid. I liked the mix of the slightly darker tones in the story by the end. The high point of the story for me, was the Rorschach acting by Harry. It was pretty cool and the writer did justice to the scene. Insertion of Inspector Gordon into the story was damn good and well handled by the author.

Only point in the story that I did not like: the wimp!Dumbledore in the ending scene. Other than that I enjoyed it a lot. I'd definitely like to see this expanded, maybe into more darker aspects as Harry comes to know about the Wizarding world and the Death Eaters and the acts of justice that he carries out on them.

5/5 from me. Great one-shot, I enjoyed it very much. The writer has definitely improved by leaps and bounds since his Harry/Daphne story.

18. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I laughed my ass off, especially at the Watchmen stuff... I wish there was more. 5/5

19. Meneldur

Meneldur Third Year

Quite amusing. A very good portrayal of the mind of a ten year old. His first theory was quite funny, especially as there are mutants in X-men with prehensile and growing-at-will hair. The dig at us readers was also a nice touch.
    A few details are inexact, though, so 4.5/5. Could be perfect with some editing and revising.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Laughed out loud at the first diary entry.

I felt that it lost momentum after that a bit. The ending was a bit flat. I think he should have kept adding more powers right up 'til the end, forcing Harry to come up with a new "theory" each time. At first, when I saw that Watchmen was going to be part of it, I thought Harry was going to eventually conclude that he was Dr. Manhattan, as the only explanation for the sheer variety of his powers.