1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot A Midnight Weary by Lady Azar de Tameran - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by T3t, Mar 11, 2011.

1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: A Midnight Weary
    Author: Lady Azar de Tameran
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Friendship
    DLP Category: Alternates
    Pairing: Implied H/LL/NL
    Summary: One Shot. Destiny knocks, but this time, Harry Potter isn't home.
    Link: FFN

Very unique AU post-war resolution. Can't say much except that it paints a vivid picture.

2. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A chilling portrayal of war-born apathy. Prose is understated but dramatic. 5/5.

3. Portus

Portus Heir

Ugh. Too overwrought and weighed down with cliches to enjoy the otherwise good writing. I thought surely you meant HP/LL and NL/LL, not actual HP/NL and HP/LL. "I am disappoint" doesn't cover what I'm feeling after reading this:
    >:-<

As if that weren't bad enough (and trust me: it is), we have the TIRED cliches of strategist!Ron, organized!Hermione, warrior-princess!Ginny (she takes out a dozen Death Eaters on her own), and the fact that despite planning to leave the still-dark and still-in-denial magical UK, the six of them still remain at Hogwarts to finish that whole post-LV school year.

Oh, and Ginny wants to marry a Squib or Muggle 'cause all the other wizard men (but not Ron or Harry or Neville) are "weak-minded" and "rely too much on their wands." Fail. Especially when the outcome of the one-shot is telegraphed by saying Ginny does find a war-damaged Muggle who can "understand all she's gone through" and that they have beautiful kids.

So yeah, nice try but it's oversimplified and dull, again despite the fact the author has decent skills. If she turned down the angst and emo to somewhere below 11, I'd be inclined to read more from her.

4. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was unconventional. I felt it was a much more realistic take on the whole 'Not my fight, 'scuse me while I hop the pond and go enjoy life' Harry Potter genre that was born out of Where in the World is Harry Potter. Though I admit I have a weakness for overly flowery and romantic prose.

I can see your points and don't share your opinion. I suppose it just comes down to personal preference in this case.

5. Portus

Portus Heir

Don't misunderstand me. I don't have a problem with dense prose; I often fall victim to doing the very same thing. In fact, I said as much in my review.

My problem was with the cliches (and the Harry/Luna/Neville sandwich) and their stayingto finish a school year if they know they're getting out.

It was contrived for the purposes of showing their grief and fed up... ness? That's fine but I don't have to overlook it.

3/5 for the previously mentioned decent writing, but hey, opinions differ and your preferences, while incredibly inferior to mine, are perfectly valid. For you. :)

6. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

2.5/5 from me. After a certain point, prose moves from the acceptable level to the level of homicide. As stated by Portus, that point hit when the angsty emo shit started.

7. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

3/5, maybe 3.5/5. I didn't find it painful to read, there were even parts I liked. But there wasn't much of a point. They put all this planning and effort and patience into their goal but in the end it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. And the characters were all kinda samey, as far a characterization. The author writes well, but the good bits of this story are wasted on an indifferent plot.

8. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

I can't say i really liked it very much, but it was well done. 5/5 for style. The cliches were there, but hardly the main focus, or even really an important part of the story.

9. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

It was ok. 3/5