1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A request, DLP

Discussion in 'Graphics Discussion' started by Joe, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yo,

So I'm looking for a digital artist than can produce work to a similar or greater quality than this:

[​IMG]

I'm designing a book cover for a novel I intend to independently publish. Anyone got any friends, know some online digital artists, or could even do it themselves?

DLP has been of continuous help to my writing career, what with your damning and devastating critiques - help me out again?

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I don't know of any specific individual who could do something of that, or higher quality, but if a few of the people I know of got together it'd be possible.

...Come hangout. :awesome

3. Joe

High Score:
    Heh - I'm on computer in the uni e-lab, so no hanging out for Joe.

Yeah I don't really know the first thing about digital art and how to design it, so am I expecting too much here, do you think?

Briefly, I'm looking for a cover depicting this:

Young fella in glasses walking down a street in a post-apocalyptic city, such as New York, with ash burning blue swirling around him. He's wearing a torn and beaten three-piece suit, minus the jacket, and gripping a white rose hard in a bloody fist.

Then ancillary details like discarded weapons in the rubble, streams of alien light. Eh, it looks good in my head - and mirrors a scene in the novel, of course.

4. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Have you looked through Deviant Art? Many there have awesome skills with art, of that quality even, but the down side is a lot sell their services.

5. Joe

High Score:
    Ah, perhaps I should be clearer - I do expect to pay for this.

Selling a service isn't a downside, not at all. I'd pay a fair amount for something of the quality in my original post.

But yeah, I did wade through deviantart - and actually messaged the chap who designed the pic in my above post, but to no reply. Extending the net here seemed like a good option.

There was A LOT of shit to wade through on that site.

6. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Awesome then. I'm sort of used to browsing DA, so I went and found some. Not sure how your own search went.

Link.

Link.

Link.

Link.

Link.

Link.

Link.

Dude's looks promising.

Link to search I used. If it doesn't work, I typed in digital city landscapes, a lot of these came from the first page. Some pretty cool ones in later ones. Just sort by popularity.

Tried to find some that looked similar to what you wanted, and others that were different. Hope this helps, its about all I can do to repay you for your free entertainment. (Besides buy your upcoming book that is.;P)

EDIT: Also, be careful who you ask to make a cover for you. The above, the one you posted, looks like a photo manipulation that someone did. If so, they used 'stock' photographs and combined them into one. Pretty common for cool, realistic wallpapers. Sometimes these stock are up for grabs, and sometimes people will nab them and use them without original author's permission. Either way I would be leery of photo-manips unless your positive of the source of the stock. That's one reason I tried to stick with digital in what I went looking for.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
    Joe
  7. Sir Sable

Sir Sable Second Year

8. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

9. Joe

High Score:
    Thanks for all your help, folks.

I did manage to get a line on a chap named Vincent Chong, who just so happens to have designed covers for titles including the Dresden Files and some of Stephen King's stuff.

Here's a link to some of his art: http://www.vincentchong-art.co.uk/imagearchive.html

He can't squeeze me in until December, and he ain't cheap, but I reckon the wait will be worth it - gives me more time to polish the manuscript, at the very least.

Thanks again, you magnificent bastards.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Vincent Chong is a god amongst men.

Tell me how much he ends up charging you and how long he takes.

Joe
  11. Joe

High Score:
    Yes, Vincent Chong sits on a throne made entirely out of his industry awards.

Will let you know. No confirmed details yet.