1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Serpent's Sacrifice by Gabilian - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Avitus, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

Title: A Serpent's Sacrifice
    Author: Gabilian
    Rating: T (PG-13)
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Angst (although I've yet to see much angst here)
    DLP Category: Independant Harry
    Pairing: None (thought it initially looks like H/G... it isn't)
    Chapters: 45
    Words: 225,939
    Updated: June 19, 2007
    Published: March 11, 2007

Summary: The magical world unravels after sixth year. The Order of the Phoenix is an empty shell, so Harry must act independently. Voldemort's lying low, but for how long? Follow Harry as he finds and destroys the other horcruxes and deals with unwanted celebrity.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3434782/1/
    Link: http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?psid=186496

This initially appears to be your typical Post-HBP H/G independant fic, don't worry, I wouldn't post something that stupid here. The fic is well thought out and stays close to canon, although Harry is powerful, there are no god-like beings here. This fic is moving along at a good speed, and is far from lacking in page-turning (or chapter clicking) interest.

5/5

Checked by Minion, March 17, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
  2. raja

raja Fourth Year

I just read a little bit of it but from what I've read it seems to be decent, I like the few changes from most stories, such as him actually liking(somewhat0 his fame. I'll edit after I'm done

Edit: I finished what has been written so far and all I can say is wow. This is one of the best stories I've read in a while there were a bunch of unconventional things in it that I really liked. Loved the ending to chapter twelve 5/5 for sure

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  3. HardcoreHobbit

HardcoreHobbit Second Year

We'll see. I'm never usually sure about post HBP stories, because as we all know... there is little scope.

Will edit.

4. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

5. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

This is a great story so far. In most cases I'm not a fan of post-HBP fics because HBP sucked imo, but so far so good in this fic. Without saying too much I love the way the author handled both Snape and Ginny. I look forward to seeing where the author takes the story from here.

Edit: Ahh, just saw nonjon's post about the completed fic. I'm going to hold off on a final score until I read it all. (and no I hadn't actually put in my vote yet)

Edit2: After reading the whole story I have to say that I stick with my earlier 5/5 rating. The author did a great job...even if Harry got a little emo at the end.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  6. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

My main complaint was about the Horcrux. It seemed too easy. Then again, that's true for every single fic I've ever read.

This seemed to be a solid, decent fic. I was going to give it a 4/5. Alright writing style, but nothing to really push it out of the crowd.

Then I read the Snape scene, where Harry's gang captures Snape and questions him. At first, I thought it was the same old tired cliche of Snape becoming good. Then the next chapter came.

It was wonderful. Snape turned out to be evil. Just for that, I'm adding 0.5

4.5/5

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  7. canoncansodoff

canoncansodoff First Year

This is well-written, and while there are a few overused plot devices (e.g. Notdead!Dumbledore) the original twists more than make up for it. Besides Snape's handling (already mentioned), there's a nice variation on animagus skills.

And while this site's denizens appear to shy away from ships, it's worth noting that he's somehow managed to write a story that both H/G and H/Hr extremists could enjoy. 5/5

8. raja

raja Fourth Year

Now that I've read the whole story, I thought it was really brillant up until the last couple of cahpters. Then, it just statred getting a little angsty, still very good, but it kinda dragged a bit much. Still i'd rate the wole thing a 4.8/5

9. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'd imagine angst!harry at the end to be somewhat appropriate. The one thing that IRRITATES me to no end is the inclusion of the INTERNET!!!! IT'S FREAKING 1997! I doubt that the 'internet' in any form was well known enough for someone who lives as a wizard eleven months of the year (and is pretty much otherwise isolated from technological advances for the other month) to have any sort of familiarity with, even considering the vague description that he did have.

EDIT: Ok, well, upon further research, I can't really pinpoint when the internet became a host for news articles and the like; but, apparently, 1997 was sufficiently internet-oriented. it STILL irritates me.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  10. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Trust me when I say that in 1997 the internet was common enough that Hermione's family would have known about it. However, given my lack of working knowledge in British lifestyle I can't say if they would have likely had home access or had to go elsewhere to find it.

In '97 enough of my life was sucked away by time spent on the net that I know these things.

11. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Try 1994.

I remember accessing sites such as <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NandO_Times#Nando_Times">Nando</a> for news information and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starwave">Starwave</a> for sports.

12. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Decent fic, interesting, and worth looking at considering it's HBP compliant, but not as good as it could be. Didn't really get my blood pumping, but it was enough to keep me interested.

4ish/5

13. Myst

Myst Headmaster

This fic showed potential and it kept me interested but it didn't really shine.

4/5

14. HardcoreHobbit

HardcoreHobbit Second Year

I like it, as I said before. I've read all but half the final chapter at HPFF, but for some reason I lack the motivation to go back and read the last little bit. However, it's still a good story.

There are some interesting ideas, and the author writes well. He seemed to know that he was catering to HG and HHr, and was keeping both sides happy.

There were a few slightly 'convienient' friends of Death Eaters and vampires who had the information he needed, all the time, and this was slightly irritating, but it's better than finding everything out from canon characters who we know, knew nothing before.

4-4.5/5

15. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I particularly like this story; it's simple, but then again not-so-simple. The story explores more of the psychological than that of action and political intrigue, which makes for a nice change of pace.

I also like the vocabulary the author used in here; yeah, there were words that were repeated a bit. But this is one of the few stories where I could actually envision what Harry looked like and what he did down to the last physical detail. The author didn't use an overabundance of frivolous details, but they did do a good job of being succinct and appropriately covered all ends.

Gabilian has another story called At the Bottom of the Lake or something along the lines of that. If it is as good as Serpent's Sacrifice, I'm definitely interested in reading it.

16. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

I've been reading the story for a few days now and all I can say is, pretty damn good. An author who has a realistic touch to her plot and characters, obviously drawing from personnal experience in some circumstances which brings alot more realism to the story. I don't usually review many fics, but I feel I must this one, it has had alot of work put into it, with results shinng far better than I first anticipated.

About the 'convienent' nature of them finding information, I don't think that acurately is able to be said, as with all novells, pages and pages of the characters filling in time gets very boring and I think that the author realises this and tries to hint at what she is doing and making it appear a little easy to the characters is out of progressing the plot at a timely pace yet trying her best to factor in character difficultly with the tasks they have been given.

I'd reccommened it to you all. Decent story, nothing really bad about, ships all written tastefully and realistically and at an extremely higher level than canon could ever pull off. A great story which follow the whole scavengerhunt!7th book theory, yet pulls it off as if it might be the true 7th book with it's quality rising above my expectations for the 7th book.

5/5

17. Nadino

Nadino Third Year

I haven't tried reading this story yet.. Can anyone tell me if it's all fluffy or something like that? Cuz I really dislike both pairings present in the story :S

If it isn't too focused on the pairings, then I may even read it!

18. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

No danger of this story being fluffy - if anything it leans more towards angst.

19. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

Just finished, and I loved this story. The characterization of Dumbledore was excellent. It felt like the kind mentor that was missing since the first several books.

Harry's power increases after every horcrux destroyed, which is kind of cliche, but well written. As for fluffy-ness or angst, there's not too much of either until the final chapters. (I hope that's not too big of a spoiler.)

20. cutoffs

cutoffs Squib

I do really enjoy this fic although the Horcrux was cliche along some other things but i don't want to give to much away