1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A sky, far, far away by remind me to breathe - K+

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Jun 5, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: A sky, far, far away
    Author: remind me to breathe
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Drama
    Pairings: None (but the author is Snarry fan)
    Summary: AU. What if a Muggleborn, a Weasley, and the BoyWhoLived were sorted into Slytherin? Six hours, three desperate children, and a revolution was born.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2897790/1/

New 1st year AU, Slytherin!Trio.

The "golden trio" meets on the train and makes a pact, deciding to break the mould society is imposing on them. All three intentionally get sorted into Slytherin and start up their master plan to take over and reform the wizarding world.

I know, the beginning isn't exactly stellar (too farfetched, they become the best friends way too quickly), but there are some great original ideas after that. Upside is that the kids are truly Slytherin, meaning they have a plan and are acting upon it, instead of waithing for things to happen to them.

Downside is that the author is declared H/Snape fan. No romance is hinted so far (and definitely no emo bullshit or redeemed Draco), but this little fact is still undeniable, like dark storm clouds hanging over this fic's bright future (egh!).

Anyway, it's a nice story for now. Try it.

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

It's K+. I think slash always requires at least a 'T'.

It looks like it has some potential...no more than neccesary focus on Snape either, but there are some small things mentioned above that annoy me.

3. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

I love it so far. This story is absolutely genius. It's one of the few stories that really makes me like Ron and Hermione. And Harry liking Potions, Runes and Parselmagic is a plus too.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, I actually liked this Ron and Hermione, they didn't anoy me like standard brats from the canon.

5. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I really enjoyed this. I though the writing was fairly dynamic and the plot one of the most original out there. (It always bothered me that Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle were slytherins because none of them seemed to really fit the qualities) This Harry, Hermione and Ron are perfect for Slytherin.

The only things that bothered me (apart from them becoming friends instantly simply because they all want to break the mold) is 1)No slytherin before them figuring out the rooms and 2)how quickly they are progressing into figuring things out and suddenly making plans.

6. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I like it for now. It is quite cryptic, has potential to be an epic. Hopefully this doesnt end up abandoned

7. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

I concur. This is a very good fic. The author's writing style is very well done, the tone and mood is exceptional and there were little to no spelling or grammar mistakes. Ditto on liking Ron and Hermione. Somehow, this author managed to not make Ron a complete retard and Hermione an overly-bossy know-it-all.

The only problems are that they are acting way too advanced for 11-year-olds and that this is a 7 year AU fic, which means that it will most likely end up abandoned.

8. Lady Rebecca

Lady Rebecca Professor

American by birth, Southern by the grace of god (A
    The autheress has written seven chapters of the story in German, and I hope she keeps it up.

9. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I like it, and it's rare to find a Trio-fic that's worth reading. It's well written, and interesting. New ideas, and a believable Slytherin placement. Those are reasons for checking it out right there.

Thanks for the link. :D

10. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

I like it too, but i am a bit wary of the cool snape that she portrays. it seems like it's going to be snarry :/
    And that james potter wass a real bastard Y_y
    but maybe that's just my impression.

11. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

I'm hoping that, if it does become slash ( :puke: ) that it won't occur for another 5 or so years, leaving plenty of space for good story. I would recommend it very strongly, though.

12. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Last chapter was garbage.

Oh god, Bitchy!Harry crying about punching Malfoy for calling his mother a mudblood.

13. Scarty

Scarty Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I like the story, its well done in my opinion, maybe not the best but good enough to have a good read, and the best, its available in German :banana:

Thats a plus point from me xD

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I didn't mind that guilt trip that much, since it was just that one paragraph you quoted. I've dealt with much worse cases, like where the whole point of the story is one big guilt trip, with the author's alter-ego (male or female) offering emotional support and love...

That ending, however, was brilliant. Very quote-worthy. The translator is obviously very skilled, if someone needs English-to-German translation, you might wanna ask her for help...

Anyway, I like how there's more and more stuff going on. Lots of plot always masks up any anoying character development or interaction that might happen.

15. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

• Angstfest
    • DarkMagicIsEvil! LightisRight! GoodyGoody, Love is Forever!
    • Pussy/Crybaby on the inside, Slytherin Badass on outside - set up for fangirl slash
    • Trembling/Whispering/Softly - Soft, romantic, Brokeback Mountain, comfort wanting Harry
    • "I could hurt him, I could force him to do things against his will, I could ruin him financially..." And that's bad...how?
    In conclusion, I am dumping this fic. This is obviously a Snarry, as Snape is cool and mysterious , and Harry needs constant cuddling and comfort lest his pussy nature ruin his cold, badass Slytherin image. And the fact that he is afraid of hurting people.

VERDICT: REJECTED

16. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

Hm.. I'll keep reading. Despite the author's interests, I really don't get the feeling it will be a HP/SS slash fic. Or maybe it's just denial... *shrugs* In anycase, the recent chapter wasn't that bad, entertaining even.

It being a bit more "light-sided" isn't really horrible. At least they aren't completely "goodygoody".. meh.

17. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

Well, to be fair, it does look like he might turn around at the end of the chapter:

18. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

I like it so far. And the guilt trip was made up by the last lines. Its character development. I dont think he will need much coddling after that last realization.
    For the Snape factor however, I think it goes into the tutor path. (something about a talk at the end of the year) As I have seen, the author can make good stuff from the canon characters. So I will see. So far I like the characters and the story gives much more than other canon rewrites.

19. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Same here, i like the principe of not dumping ron and hermione just becasue you want a badass!harry. After allwhat's the point of living if you are bored to death and have no friend?

20. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

it's good for now the chapter's are a bit short i left a review and the author sent an e-mail saying the pairings wont be h/hr and ginny may not end up with the other gryffindor's apart from that she didnt want to say much else