1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

Pretty good first episode. Loved Sam's and the Hound's parts of the episode the best though. Jim Broadbent could be really good as Archmaester (Marwin?).

The thing I have to wonder about, isn't Dragonstone just outside Blackwater Bay? So Euron literally has to cross Dany whenever he leaves King's Landing. Wonder how much of the book's recent mysticism added to his character they'll infuse into his show analog.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

That bugged me too. Dragonstone's whole point was to control the Bay, and Dany has a giant fleet and dragons too. Euron showing up could have been asynchronous, but you'd think that his super black and evil looking fleet would have been seen.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With how time goes on the TV show I think it's likely he arrived in the bay and left before Dany's fleet arrived at Dragonstone.

20 or 30 miles of a difference in course would easily explain the fleets not running into each other.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The moment I saw Walder Frey I was like HAHAHAHA I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON. And I was right. Then I saw Ed Sheeran and I was laughing like an idiot. I was half expecting Arya to just cut them all down, but it looks like she's not that far gone. Pretty obvious contrast to her unceremonious killing of the Frey soldiers after the Red Wedding.

All around a well-made episode, though without fireworks. Arya's first scene was really the only exciting one, everything else was all setup. But perhaps it's better to get all that out of the way and then just go to town with six episodes.

Jorah at Oldtown was a true shocker though. When I saw Sam collecting those bowls I thought 'are those cells where maesters meditate or whatever?' Then I heard Jorah's voice and I was like HOLY SHIT IT'S SER FRIENDZONE. I really do hope he gets cured, he's one of my favorite characters. Not much hope however. It's GoT. I predict a sad end for him. Although the show did establish that Shireen's greyscale was halted by the maesters.

When Euron did his bit about getting Cersei a gift, I thought that if he really wanted an alliance with the Lannisters, it would be just like GoT to kill off fucking Tyrion at Cersei's hands. I mean, Euron's line about enjoying fratricide...

5. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Loved the episode. Favorite part was Sansa's parting line to Littlefinger, "No need to seize the last word Lord Baelish, I'm sure it would have it would have been something clever." Like a polite, feudal English way of saying "I'm getting real tired of your shit, you manipulative dick."

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I got the impression Arya was planning on murdering them, and decided against it as they were progressively nicer to her.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Really liked the episode. Almost everyone got their moment to shine, but the Hound probably wins this one because of the character development.

8. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Just watched this. Didn't really like it. Most of it was fine, nothing was spectacular. Ed Sheeran was SoB breaking, through no real fault of his own. And what the fuck was happening with dragonstone? It was absolutely deserted.

A lot of it felt like forced plot events rather than organic events. I could just see the structure for set up. Too bare bones.

9. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Definitely got the impression that she was planning on murdering them as well. I thought it was a nice humanizing moment for those on the other side from her. Not everyone aligned with those who killed her family are monsters.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I kept expecting them to jump her or something and for her to slaughter them, but they didn't and I realized why. You can tell that these are supposed to be cool dudes because they cast pretty boy extras for them.

Tbh, I've been very let down with Arya's role in the last couple seasons, and the trend continues. She (and the Faceless Men in general) just make no fucking sense.

11. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

A few important questions:

1. How did Euron get all those ships? Yara took the Fleet, there is no wood on the Iron Islands, and even if there were how would he have built so many ships so quickly?

2. How did Jorah get to Oldtown before Dany got to Dragonstone?

3. How did Arya not only get enough poison to kill all the Freys, but put it all in the wine without anyone noticing?

4. Why is Littlefinger still alive? Why would the Vale show him any loyalty, especially so far from the Vale, and why would anyone else be ok with this man who, at a minimum,
    has done extremely pro-Lannister and pro-Bolton stuff in that past?

5. How the hell is Dragonstone empty? Even if Stannis really emptied it completely (it wouldn't be GOT without the writers pissing on Stannis even after his death), why wouldn't the Lannisters occupy it themselves afterwards?

6. Do the Stormlands still exist in the Show? I honestly can't tell.

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    @Rhaegar I

1. I'm guessing the same way Varys was teleporting across the sea in the S6 finale. Handwaved logic for the sake of the plot. Not a problem for me, I'd rather that stuff be happening.

2. See above.

3. See above.

4. Because not everyone is as devious as Littlefinger. But really, I don't know. He did manoeuvre himself into a legitimate position of power and we know tradition has weight in the universe.

5. It's a fort on a barren, small island. Stannis was throwing everything at his last hooray, he'd have brought everyone and everything.

6. As a region, sure. Just like Dorne. Only both Baratheons and Martells (name-bearing male heirs) are wiped out in the show.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  13. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Euron's gift is going to be
    Dragonbinder
    , isn't it?

Also, is the opening Night King scene them crossing a frozen over ocean?

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    You know, I thought it was water when I saw it first, but it wasn't moving, so I decided it must have been a trick of the image.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Varys didn't teleport. The final shot of S06E10 was after Danaerys had already been to Dorne and picked up Varys. You can see Dornish sails on some of the ships in her fleet.

16. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not an ocean, atm the Night King is still beyond the wall. Judging from production shots they're headed towards a big ass lake so I'd say they're heading down a frozen river.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Anyone saw HBO Nordic marketing videos with Kristofer Hivju? Hilarious stuff about Tormund's love life. ;)

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As first eps of a GoT season go, it was middleground. Not as exciting as some, not as boring as others.

I wonder if Arya will get to face of against the Mountain. That would be fun.

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Assuming you enjoy seeing little girl-shaped blood splatters on the ground, sure.

The moment Arya 'faces off' against the Mountain, she's dead. The skills lie in taking her enemies by surprise or assassinating them, neither of which works against a zombie, and in straight up combat ... well, blood splatter.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was thinking more along the lines of she gets really close to Cersei, but then zombiebro catches her, and she has to do another run-for-her-life deal, like with faceless girl.