1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lutris, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I'm reading a series (if you want to get into specifics, I have finished reading the current books, and waiting for more) called 'A Song of Ice and Fire', by George R.R. Martin. It's a huge fantasy epic, currently at four books, with book three in two parts.

The world is immense; and the whole standard or life is reminiscent of the Middle Ages, or the Dark Ages, if you prefer.

In a few sentences, the gist of the plot is as follows: The Seven Kingdoms are united under the Usurper, the King Robert Baratheon, until he is killed in a hunting outing (keep in mind, this is in the latter half of the first book). What follows is a huge war filled with bloodshed as the many courts of the kingdom vest for power. The Lannisters, who have Robert's rightful son by his wife Cersei Baratheon nee Lannister, have the center of the land of Casterly Rock, and are led by Lord Tywin Lannister, with untold riches and power.

The Starks own the land in the north, at the land of Winterfell, led by Ned Stark and his wife Catelyn Stark nee Tully, who have five children, who in order of seniority are Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon. There is also Ned's bastard, Jon Snow.

There are countless other names and titles involved, and just the Appendix of Kings and their Courts takes up 54 pages. All titles, names, squires, knights, lords, servants, and the like.

Each of the characters is uniquely presented, and every single one of them has a distinct personality, history, family, etc. The amount of work put into this series is astounding, really.

Anyway, the challenge came to me as this. What if Harry were to be taken to the realm of A Song of Ice and Fire? Magic is all but dead in the Seven Kingdoms, and only exists in the far land of Qarth, with the Qartheen's blue lipped magicians.

As a keynote, an understanding of the series is requisite to write this, though. Much too complicated to be written by somebody who doesn't know the back-stories and intricate patterns of politics and war in Westeros.

So, the challenge is as follows.

1) Harry is to be transported to Westeros in a way not of his choosing, meaning by force, an unknown prophecy in Westeros, etc. His arrival may be at any point in the story the challenger wishes to be.

2) Harry must have contact with one of the Stark children, preferably Jon, or Robb, or possibly Bran.

3) Harry must be familiar with the Imp of Casterly Rock, Tyrion Lannister, the dwarf (I mean physically retarded in the political sense).

4) Harry must be sent to the Sworn Brothers of the Night's Watch with Jon.

5) Harry must side with the King in the North.

6) Harry must go past the Wall at some point, whether to confront wildlings, or combat the Others is your choice.

After that, it's free reign for you people. Someone take this up, please -puppy dog eyes-

I'll be sure to read it. Period.

2. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

It looks very interesting. I'd read it despite never reading the books, but I'll have to read the series before I consider writing anything to it. *wanders off*

I hope someone takes this up too!

3. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

sounds ínterresting but I think it would be too complicated. You would have to read the original series first to understand the fic.